Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix3068
Didn't see a thread about this and as far as I know, it's a legit topic. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate released today (last night technically). I pre-ordered it and will be getting it tonight. I'm surprised nobody here is talking about it since they even have advertisements for the game pop up on /this/ site.

Ushgarak
I have a few days to wait before it comes out here, though frankly I am too busy to give it proper attention right now. It was probably my favourite Wii game so it had just enough pull for me to try the upgraded version (I am not normally a fan of re-releases, bit this one has had effort put in). heck, I'm even getting it on 3DS as well.

Phoenix3068
I'm getting it just for the Wii U, my friend bought the console and gave it to me. The original Tri version to me was good. I don't care what anyone says about graphics, the game is addictive. I'll be playing it tonight.

Ushgarak
The graphics were extremely good for the Wii, particularly the monster animations. The HD upgrade is not as good, relatively speaking, as the original, as despite it some of the textures look distinctly dated, but the monsters still look great (which is particularly important with much of the game based around reading their movements).

Phoenix3068
Some of the lower level monsters can be somewhat difficult to read. There was one I remember in particular, a bird that I could never judge when it was right to capture. Then again, I didn't hunt it much so that was understandable.

Ushgarak
The monsters in the demo all worked fine; you could tell when they were knackered.

Phoenix3068
in Ultimate Demo? Haven't played it.

Ushgarak
Well, not worth it now you are getting the game tonight, but it was pretty good. Available for download on both Wii U and 3DS, gives you two monsters to fight with any weapon you like, with the monsters and a bunch of the weapons being ones that weren't in the original.

Phoenix3068
What type of weapons will be in Ultimate that weren't in Tri? I was kind of irritated that the Bowgun was the only range.

Ushgarak
Twin Swords, Bowguns split into Light and Heavy, a non-gun Bow (which I tired out- interesting), a Hunting Horn (probably wins the 'most ridiculous weapon award- basically a Hammer that plays music and buffs your party) and the Gunlance, which is a Lance with a shotgun built in.

They aren't new to the series, but they are new to Tri (the PSP version in Japan had some of it, but that never came out in the west).

Phoenix3068
Yeah but the weapons in Tri felt so limited. I preferred the Switch-Axe myself, was a lot of fun to use. Good to know the weapons won't be so limited this time.

Ushgarak
They generally add one new weapon for each major release. Switch-Axe is what Tri added; I understand MH4 will have some sort of mystical staff weapon.

I agree- the new weapons all seemed pretty good and I reckon they'll add a lot.

Phoenix3068
MH3U should have online (at least for their respected areas). But I wonder how long it will last. I'm hoping at least a few years and that they don't turn off the servers early on. I want to get a good foothold into the world.

Ushgarak
Actually, in a world where cross-region play is irritatingly rare (I am still amazed that Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 have LESS long-range connectivity than their predecessors), this one is bucking the trend. It will start region locked, but they've promised a near-future patch to allow European and US players to play together. Mind you, if there was ever a game where lag was fatal, it's Monster Hunter.

If you have the 3DS version, you can locally cross-connect multiplay with the Wii U version, and the proper version this time, not some crappy arena mode. So if you can persuade some friends to buy...

Phoenix3068
The thing that bothers me is shutting down the servers. MHT will be shut down next month on servers, or at least that's what I heard. That's only a month after MH3U comes out. It's kind of unsettling.

Ushgarak
Well, really, it could be worse- in Japan, you had to pay a sub fee for access to it. It had a good run.

Phoenix3068
Oh god, using Gunner style; Bow. Hunter Armor right now, debating on upgrading it. I'll get stronger armor soon. Really want Rathian. The arrows XD Forgot how freaking huge they were. How does the online setting for it work anyways? I get online but... nobody there. Checked around, can't figure it out.

Ushgarak
I don't know how much it may have changed from the original. It was never a very intuitive or efficient online system.

mechagoomba
the gunlance is the greatest weapon ever made

how a mortal man could even think of attaching a gun to a lance is beyond me

Ushgarak
It's what I've switched to after being a Lance man in Tri. It's very satisfying to land a big shot on target.

Online is still clunky and I got a disconnect on my first try too, though I've pulled off one game now.

mechagoomba
yeah its a pretty sweet weapon for breaking monster parts which it does pretty ****in well

Phoenix3068
How exactly do you get online on the Wii U version? I imagine it has to be more then just sailing to the online section because I never see anyone on when I do that. They don't have a server system last I saw, but... Yeah. Info please?

mechagoomba
when you talk to the cat just scroll down all the way to the bottom and click network mode

Phoenix3068
Wait wha? You talk to the cat, he'll take you to two areas. One of them is for playing Solo, the other for playing 1-4 People. If I just click go to the 1-4 People the options are for going to the Tavern or the... Something, anyways, was there something special you had to click that I didn't notice?

mechagoomba
right under the multi tavern tab is a tab that says network mode

Phoenix3068
Gonna load it up now.

mechagoomba
argh man grinding these gems

its some work

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.