Should we bring back extinct animals

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Archaeopteryx
A couple articles got me thinking

http://www.businessinsider.com/24-animals-for-de-extinction-2013-3#

and

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/frog-gives-birth-mouth-brought-back-extinction-100306453--abc-news-tech.html

Personally I have mixed feelings about this. If scientists succeed at bringing these animals back will they be able to re create viable self sustaining populations capable of surviving in current eco systems are they just doing it to show they can?

One argument is they failed to adapt to their environments and if brought back will only go extinct again.

This is partially true. The dinosaurs went extinct very suddenly but it was due to a cataclysmic asteroid or comet impact and while technically they failed to adapt to the conditions that followed it wasn't in the sense by which most of these other animals went extinct.

There is no doubt humans caused some of the listed animals to go extinct (and lots of others too) but some we will argue we are part of the eco system and evolved to have the impact we do. If so then why is it so horrible when humans die, especially from non natural causes?

Finally I have to feel that with so many living species currently on the brink of extinction due to human activity it shows what a poor job we do of interacting with other forms of life and how poorly we treat our planet. Based on that I'm wondering if bringing back extinct species is such a good thing.

Batman-Prime
For a zoo maybe, though tbh, imo zoos are cruel. It would be valuable to get knowledge but they are extinct for a reason. I wouldn't let them free.

Omega Vision
The best candidate for resurrection is the Tasmanian Tiger, because it's only been extinct for a century and the conditions haven't changed much since its extinction. It would also have a much smaller footprint than "cooler" extinct animals (mammoths or big dinosaurs.)

siriuswriter
No.

We humans mess with nature and create horrible conditions as we continue to hunt/kill off endangered species. Think how much more we'd f*** up the world if we started doing things like bringing naturally extinct animals to life. Does what they used to eat still exist, for example? Or, oh wait, there are strip malls located in every patch of where they used to live.

Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by siriuswriter
No.

We humans mess with nature and create horrible conditions as we continue to hunt/kill off endangered species. Think how much more we'd f*** up the world if we started doing things like bringing naturally extinct animals to life. Does what they used to eat still exist, for example? Or, oh wait, there are strip malls located in every patch of where they used to live.

To play devil's advocate, and without mentioning any of the environmental impacts that are sure to follow, presumably you could clone their original foodsources.

Lord Lucien
They covered this in a TED talk last week.

XKc9MJDeqj0

Robtard
I'd much prefer scientist work on hybrid animals, better suited to exist in future environments. Polar bear/rat.

the ninjak
Originally posted by siriuswriter
No.

What about near extinct species like whales?

Originally posted by Robtard
I'd much prefer scientist work on hybrid animals, better suited to exist in future environments. Polar bear/rat.

I'm all for cross genetics. AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T RATS!

Robtard
Rats are one of natures best survivors.

Tzeentch._
We should bring them back.

And then hunt them into extinction in some big ass park. Then bring them back again.

Dat revenue.

Astner
Originally posted by Omega Vision
The best candidate for resurrection is the Tasmanian Tiger, because it's only been extinct for a century and the conditions haven't changed much since its extinction. It would also have a much smaller footprint than "cooler" extinct animals (mammoths or big dinosaurs.)
First and foremost you need to get the dose of preserved DNA. Secondly, you need to find a mammal that can breed with the Tasmanian Tiger and produce a fertile offspring for the womb.

Robtard
There's amateur footage from a few years back allegedly depicting a Tasmanian Tiger in the wild and there are people who believe there's a tiny population of the animals sill in existence.

Astner
There's footage from a few years back allegedly depicting a Tasmanian Tiger in the wild and there are people who believe there's a tiny population of the animals sill in existence.
With that line of reasoning we should also clone Nessie. http://www.chatslang.com/images/shortcuts/twitch/admins/kappa.png

Robtard
Originally posted by Astner
With that line of reasoning we should also clone Nessie. http://www.chatslang.com/images/shortcuts/twitch/admins/kappa.png

/derp

alan smithee
sabertooth and mastodon.

Bardock42
http://loganfiles.com/Characters/Sabretooth1.jpg

&

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/3/6/1/1361_photo.jpg

?

Symmetric Chaos

That would be awesome.

focus4chumps
we should focus more on preserving species we're driving into extinction. but at the rate we're going i say screw it. make a t-rex.

Omega Vision
First and foremost you need to get the dose of preserved DNA. Secondly, you need to find a mammal that can breed with the Tasmanian Tiger and produce a fertile offspring for the womb.
IIRC scientists actually did find some genetic material for the Tasmanian Tiger from a pickled pup

Ascendancy
Originally posted by focus4chumps
we should focus more on preserving species we're driving into extinction. but at the rate we're going i say screw it. make a t-rex.

Realistically, cloning dinos would be great. They'd find a way to go on a rampage, reduce the population of people to a sustainable number, etc, etc.

It's all gravy as long as we can pick and choose who gets eaten. There are a number of congressional officials who would make great snacks right about now.

the ninjak
Rats are one of natures best survivors.

You ever seen Food of the Gods?

I hate rats. They are the natural response to human's influence. And they freak me the phuck out!

They claw through stone with their teeth. And if they don't the teeth grow through their skulls. They eat their young and any who fail to pick up the pace.

Crossing a polar bear with wild city rats will result in rape city.
If not mixing them with anything else.

Get your shotguns ready.

Supra
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
For a zoo maybe, though tbh, imo zoos are cruel. It would be valuable to get knowledge but they are extinct for a reason. I wouldn't let them free.

Unless zoo's are trying to preserve species I agree, however open range zoo's like wildlife preserve are much better.

I know the polar bear is in danger as well as possibly in 12 years all wild tigers could be extinct.

Omega Vision
I find it interesting how the Norwegian Rat isn't native to Norway and Norway was one of the last places on Earth that it invaded.

Robtard
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I find it interesting how the Norwegian Rat isn't native to Norway and Norway was one of the last places on Earth that it invaded.

Probably cos the Vikings would consume them all on the boat ride back home.

Originally posted by the ninjak
You ever seen Food of the Gods?

I hate rats. They are the natural response to human's influence. And they freak me the phuck out!

They claw through stone with their teeth. And if they don't the teeth grow through their skulls. They eat their young and any who fail to pick up the pace.

Crossing a polar bear with wild city rats will result in rape city.
If not mixing them with anything else.

Get your shotguns ready. rats eat thei young when stressed by overcrowding. dogs eat tehir puppies when stressed out to..

recently exnticnt species can be restored if proper measures of ecosystem restoration are taken in tandem

Archaeopteryx
Originally posted by 753

recently exnticnt species can be restored if proper measures of ecosystem restoration are taken in tandem

Define "recently extinct"

focus4chumps
im assuming extinctions which took place during the existance of humans. i think a distinction should be made before venturing into it, or rather opt not to do bring back an extinct animal predetermined to be doomed by nature. its possible the wooly mammoth falls in this category.

thumb up

I'd say extinctions we've caused since the industrial revolution.

Dolos
I think after correcting the entire ecosystem, improving it, taking control of the weather, demonstrating complete capability of supporting Cambrian explosion levels of diversity...then absolutely. I would love to see the earth in perpetual states of natural paradise with our Utopian cities functioning as the centers responsible for superterraforming the earth.

focus4chumps
yeah i suppose this is some far out scifi talk. we cant even keep pandas from abandoning their young. also im sure in many cases rehabitation may be impossible since the same condition likely exists which extinct them.

Mark Question

Man-bear-rat.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mark Question
Man-bear-rat.

We already have gay far-right Republicans.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Dolos
I think after correcting the entire ecosystem, improving it, taking control of the weather, demonstrating complete capability of supporting Cambrian explosion levels of diversity...then absolutely. I would love to see the earth in perpetual states of natural paradise with our Utopian cities functioning as the centers responsible for superterraforming the earth.

"Improved" ecosystem is a completely human centered concept. Any given environment on Earth will probably support one thing and kill another thing.

the ninjak
Originally posted by 753
rats eat thei young when stressed by overcrowding. dogs eat tehir puppies when stressed out to..

I was answering to cross genetics.

A perfect mix of human and city rats won't go down well.

And the two species you mentioned aren't on the extinction list for a reason. Sure if you supplied an enclosed environment with all the resources they needed they will thrive.

Robtard
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
"Improved" ecosystem is a completely human centered concept. Any given environment on Earth will probably support one thing and kill another thing.

See: Disney Land.

My (at the time) 5 year old daughter thrived there, but it almost killed me.

Symmetric Chaos

My (at the time) 5 year old daughter thrived there, but it almost killed me.

Or literally Disney Land. Artifical environments people have created a great for certain kinds of animals. Rats, mice, and birds ought to love Disney Land.

Mindship

My (at the time) 5 year old daughter thrived there, but it almost killed me. Ditto. I barely got through Tower of Terror without puke.

Anyways, here's my starter list for what animals to bring back:
1. T-rex (may not have been the biggest carnivore overall, but it had the most massive head, most powerful bite and has the best PR).
2. Megalodon
3. Argentiniosaurus
4. Quetzalcoatlus

Later, we can call on the military when all sorts of out-of-left-field, no-one-saw-this-coming crap starts popping up.

MF DELPH
While I think it would be cool to bring back extinct species to an extent, I'm worried what the impact on viruses would be, and how it would effect their mutations and ability to cross over to humanity or other species. That's a factor that makes me lean towards no.

Male Model
Unnatural.

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
"Improved" ecosystem is a completely human centered concept. Any given environment on Earth will probably support one thing and kill another thing. thumb up

Shabazz916
Make it a island like reserve thats all.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Shabazz916
Make it a island like reserve thats all.

I assume you've never seen Jurassic Park. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yurika
I think the question is not 'should we' but 'could we'. Environment has changed. Cannot imagine how their life would be if those extinct animals came back.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.