Mickey the Pickey vs Rocky

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
Rocky is at his peak
Boxing match
Who takes it?

The Fat Rambo
Mickey.

FrothByte
Mickey. This is a guy who not only knocks out a guy with one punch, but actually kills a guy with one punch. In a pure boxing match, I can't seem to think of any guy who can beat him.

Robtard
Who did Mickey kill? IIRC, he KO'd George with a punch, he KO'd the guy in the first ring match and he KO'd the guy in his last fight.

The Fat Rambo
He broke Georges neck with one punch. This is more power than Rocky ever displayed. Damage soak is close, prolly Mickey since he took bare fists. Speed? Mickey.

Robtard
Originally posted by The Fat Rambo
He broke Georges neck with one punch. This is more power than Rocky ever displayed. Damage soak is close, prolly Mickey since he took bare fists. Speed? Mickey.

-Think that was his jaw, but yes, Rocky's never floored a guy with a single hit to my recollection. So KO-power to Mickey.

-Damage soak goes to Rocky and it's not even close. Mickey did a few minutes with George and then 4 rounds in his last fight, though it was a brutal 4 rounds. Rocky has 6 films and multiple matches in some of them. Which includes taking a beating from an enhanced Drago who killed Apollo and his own street fight in that crap-fest Rocky 5 which included taking knee-shots and kicks.

-Stamina goes to Rocky as we have him going the distance in several matches and little info for Mickey in this area.

-Speed is probably about even, possibly edge to Mickey.

imo, either Mickey gets through Rocky's superhuman ability to take punches very early in or he winds out and Rocky wins later on.

The Fat Rambo
Originally posted by Robtard
-Think that was his jaw, but yes, Rocky's never floored a guy with a single hit to my recollection. So KO-power to Mickey.

-Damage soak goes to Rocky and it's not even close. Mickey did a few minutes with George and then 4 rounds in his last fight, though it was a brutal 4 rounds. Rocky has 6 films and multiple matches in some of them. Which includes taking a beating from an enhanced Drago who killed Apollo and his own street fight in that crap-fest Rocky 5 which included taking knee-shots and kicks.

-Stamina goes to Rocky as we have him going the distance in several matches and little info for Mickey in this area.

imo, either Mickey gets through Rocky's superhuman ability to take punches very early in or he winds out and Rocky wins later on. I can go with this.

Mindset
Rocky at his peak can't lose a boxing match.

FrothByte

imo, either Mickey gets through Rocky's superhuman ability to take punches very early in or he winds out and Rocky wins later on.

Here's a vid of Mickey's fight with George. Near the end, you see someone checking George's pulse and hear Statham's character mention that unless George gets up in the next few mins, they'll have a problem explaining how they ended up with a dead man, and IIRC, he never got up. As for stamina, I don't think it would matter since Mickey was able to knock out everyone he fought with a single punch whenever he wanted. He only started lasting longer rounds because he was specifically told not to end the fight with one punch. I'm going to have to find a copy of the movie to get more info. Been some time since I watched it.

nG_Nwp0wZc0

FrothByte
As for damage soak, he might not have had as many matches and rounds as Rocky, but I don't recall Rocky ever having to take as much bare knuckled damage as this:

kT_pS_4OO7E

Lestov16
es1OJfSDthI

focus4chumps
they really jumped the shark and made him a damn superhero in rocky 3 & 4. no way does mickey knock him out.

thanos-prime
Originally posted by FrothByte
Here's a vid of Mickey's fight with George. Near the end, you see someone checking George's pulse and hear Statham's character mention that unless George gets up in the next few mins, they'll have a problem explaining how they ended up with a dead man, and IIRC, he never got up. As for stamina, I don't think it would matter since Mickey was able to knock out everyone he fought with a single punch whenever he wanted. He only started lasting longer rounds because he was specifically told not to end the fight with one punch. I'm going to have to find a copy of the movie to get more info. Been some time since I watched it.

nG_Nwp0wZc0 George didn't die after getting punched by mickey iirc he is seen later in the movie.

thanos-prime
Unless this is bareknuckle I don't see how mickey can win, other than punching power rocky is the significantly better boxer.

Dolos
Originally posted by Mindset
Rocky at his peak can't lose a boxing match.

Anyway this must be a joke. Ivan Drago can hit a thousand times harder and KILL PROFESSIONAL CHAMPS with GLOVES!!

Mickey the Pickey? Ahah. Rocky is like like a piece of iron.

the ninjak
Lestov. Are the fighters wearing gloves?

I GUESS they aren't for at least Rocky has fought without them.

And my moneys on Rocky.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Dolos
Anyway this must be a joke. Ivan Drago can hit a thousand times harder and KILL PROFESSIONAL CHAMPS with GLOVES!!

Mickey the Pickey? Ahah. Rocky is like like a piece of iron.

Ivan Drago was never able to knockout other boxers with a single punch (at least from what I remember). His first few punches to Apollo Creed rocked Apollo, but didn't even knock him down. It was only after numerous hits that he killed Apollo. Mickey knocked people out cold with one punch. And this is true KO, not TKO not "too dizzy to get up after a 10 count" not "unable to continue the fight". Knocked out cold and ended up in the hospital (I revoke my previous statement of death). Ivan Drago was the strongest puncher that Rocky has faced but not even Drago could boast of one-punch knockouts.

As for gloves, Mickey has the same knockout power even wearing gloves.

Boxing skills, well we'll never know the extent of Mickey's boxing skills since no one ever took him to the limit. But Rocky's boxing skills... it's not as if he moves like Mayweather or Ali or even prime Tyson. Rocky was a straight up slugger who liked to trade punches (learned to box better by Rocky 3 but forgot all about it in Rocky 4). Rocky will walk up to Mickey and eat up all his punches.

Fact is, Rocky has never gone up against someone with as much knockout power as Mickey. Even if Rocky wasn't KO'd with the first punch, I doubt he can survive multiple punches of that power.

Here's Mickey fighting with gloves:

isyFunAeYnQ

Dolos
Ivan Drago was never able to knockout other boxers with a single punch (at least from what I remember). His first few punches to Apollo Creed rocked Apollo, but didn't even knock him down. It was only after numerous hits that he killed Apollo. Mickey knocked people out cold with one punch. And this is true KO, not TKO not "too dizzy to get up after a 10 count" not "unable to continue the fight". Knocked out cold and ended up in the hospital (I revoke my previous statement of death). Ivan Drago was the strongest puncher that Rocky has faced but not even Drago could boast of one-punch knockouts.

As for gloves, Mickey has the same knockout power even wearing gloves.

Boxing skills, well we'll never know the extent of Mickey's boxing skills since no one ever took him to the limit. But Rocky's boxing skills... it's not as if he moves like Mayweather or Ali or even prime Tyson. Rocky was a straight up slugger who liked to trade punches (learned to box better by Rocky 3 but forgot all about it in Rocky 4). Rocky will walk up to Mickey and eat up all his punches.

Fact is, Rocky has never gone up against someone with as much knockout power as Mickey. Even if Rocky wasn't KO'd with the first punch, I doubt he can survive multiple punches of that power.

Here's Mickey fighting with gloves:

isyFunAeYnQ

Already seen the movie a hundred times.

The Pickey's were hustled money. Mickey just happened to be a pro bare knuckle boxer who fought a lot and had a lot of rage. Apollo was The Heavyweight Champion of the World, a better fighter, a more skilled fighter, who has fought hundreds of people. Mickey only fought amateurs who weren't even cut out for pro boxing, they were cut from leather and Apollo was cut from sway. Mickey only ko'd amateurs. The King of Sting would smoke this fool's ass.

Drago was on the roids, he'd butcher pretty much anyone in a street fight. His strength, man, you best have a ****ing gun because I don't see any ****ing point in arguing a win for anyone that isn't like a Watchmen Human.

And Rocky? Rocky was a neanderthal, no coordination, no motivation, no education, he didn't use his brain and it went to waste. But I'll tell you one thing, that man was a survivor. He was hungry, broken, and he didn't have anything but Man Strength. Give him just a little confidence and he goes the distance against Apollo, give him a little confidence and break him down and make him more desperate, he's a ****ing killer. You think all that rage is going to help that ****ing toothpick, Rocky has a certain level of killer instinct. Not to mention the insane damage soak and pain tolerance demonstrated in his fight with Drago. Rocky is in a whole other world, he's in a league of his own. After training to fight Drago, again, you'd need something like Holmes Vision or just forget it.

Aahaha, look at how skinny that Mickey's ribs are, say goodnight Mickey. Rocky would look at those ribs and go, "mmmmm".

Dolos

Mickey fought AMATEURS. Fricken AMATEURS. Never took a beating like Rocky in Rocky I, III, or IV - with the ferocity and skill of opponents in consideration here, bare-knuckle is a non-factor.

You have to put things into perspective here, take IP Man for example, he fought some heavyweight champ and his kung fu just barely pulled it off. Not so super human any more.

By Rocky III, Rocky had superior technique, superior agility, superior stamina, he had always had superior punching POWER, and by Rocky III he demonstrated champ levels of coordination, especially after training with Apollo, he'd cleaned up, so accuracy goes to him as well.

As per Rocky IV, his peak, he either wins a fight, or he dies. And with Mickey beat in every conceivable way, by a mile, conditioning, skill, rage, killer instinct, punching power, Rocky is LEAGUES ahead. Rocky would cream him in moments.

In Rocky IV he rushed the Russian spending crazy amounts of energy and fought his way to the ribs, getting CREAMED in the process. He should have been DEAD with a 1st round like that. 15th round he pushed his mortality to the limit, somehow he KOed the ****er. The **** can anyone do to that? Nothing!

Achilles has a better shot in a street fight with Peak Rocky than Mickey. At least Achilles was tuned into a higher cognizance during fights, like Holmes meditation or Ozymandias. Then you have Rocky, pretty much a warrior like Hector, Leonidas and Comedian, the ultimate fighting man, one man who fought his whole life just to make some money he's useless at everything else, you best believe he's a piece of iron born to fight. Mickey is no tank.

Rocky did worse to better fighters in the beginning of Rocky III. Mickey wasn't drawing that last fight out, he had faith in the Pickeys to kill the main baddy and his lackeys waiting outside. He displayed some damage soak knocked the amateur out sure, big whoop.

The Fat Rambo

Mickey the Pickey? Ahah. Rocky is like like a piece of iron. Drago broke Creed's neck while wearing gloves. Mickey broke dude's neck while wearing gloves. And while drunk.

Robtard
Mickey fought AMATEURS. Fricken AMATEURS. Never took a beating like Rocky in Rocky I, III, or IV - with the ferocity and skill of opponents in consideration here, bare-knuckle is a non-factor.

You have to put things into perspective here, take IP Man for example, he fought some heavyweight champ and his kung fu just barely pulled it off. Not so super human any more.

By Rocky III, Rocky had superior technique, superior agility, superior stamina, he had always had superior punching POWER, and by Rocky III he demonstrated champ levels of coordination, especially after training with Apollo, he'd cleaned up, so accuracy goes to him as well.

As per Rocky IV, his peak, he either wins a fight, or he dies. And with Mickey beat in every conceivable way, by a mile, conditioning, skill, rage, killer instinct, punching power, Rocky is LEAGUES ahead. Rocky would cream him in moments.

In Rocky IV he rushed the Russian spending crazy amounts of energy and fought his way to the ribs, getting CREAMED in the process. He should have been DEAD with a 1st round like that. 15th round he pushed his mortality to the limit, somehow he KOed the ****er. The **** can anyone do to that? Nothing!

Achilles has a better shot in a street fight with Peak Rocky than Mickey. At least Achilles was tuned into a higher cognizance during fights, like Holmes meditation or Ozymandias. Then you have Rocky, pretty much a warrior like Hector, Leonidas and Comedian, the ultimate fighting man, one man who fought his whole life just to make some money he's useless at everything else, you best believe he's a piece of iron born to fight. Mickey is no tank.

Rocky did worse to better fighters in the beginning of Rocky III. Mickey wasn't drawing that last fight out, he had faith in the Pickeys to kill the main baddy and his lackeys waiting outside. He displayed some damage soak knocked the amateur out sure, big whoop.

There's no way to know how amateur those underground fighters were, for all we know they could have had 50 fights under them. The last one Mickey fights showed boxing skills. But Mickey does have KO power and it's specifically stated that he's the Pikey bare-knuckle champion. "Which makes him harder than a coffin nail." -Turkish

Ip Man was a fun, but a silly fantasized film.

Yeah, Rocky is great. Didn't say otherwise.

See above.

See above.

Achilles didn't do much to show he's some highly skilled boxer. So no.

Mickey was playing with the guy in his last fight, it's clear he could have one-shot KO'd him whenever he wanted. If your ultimate point is "Rocky stomps", then I disagree. I do favor Rocky in this, just that it won't be some massacre for Mickey.

FrothByte

How do you know they were amateurs? They were supposedly ranked fighters. It was an underground fight circuit so you won't get the same flair and flamboyance as sport boxing. Doesn't mean to say they weren't skilled.

I would have considered your argument somewhat valid if you had not mentioned that "Mickey wasn't drawing that last fight out". You said you've watched the movie multiple times, then it should have been obvious that Mickey could have knocked out the guy at any point, but still chose to heed Statham's advice and get beat up. That shows a great deal of damage soak and stamina. Maybe not as much Rocky, but still pretty good.

I do think you're not giving bareknuckled boxing it's due respect. Bareknuckle boxers go through way more punishment than sport pro boxers. I don't believe they have as much stamina, as you don't see bareknuckled boxing go through 12 rounds (though I heard that back in the day some matches could go on for a full hour straight) but the amount of damage you can take without gloves is nothing to take lightly.

I'll say it again. Rocky has never faced anyone who could knockout another fighter with a single blow. Rocky has never been capable of knocking out other fighters with a single blow. Do I think Rocky will get knocked out with a single blow? No. He's tougher than that. But I seriously doubt Rocky can survive multiple rounds with a guy with knockout power like that.

focus4chumps
once rocky 3 rolled around, all the cocaine and steroids made him unbeatable.

The Fat Rambo
How do you know they were amateurs? They were supposedly ranked fighters. It was an underground fight circuit so you won't get the same flair and flamboyance as sport boxing. Doesn't mean to say they weren't skilled.

I would have considered your argument somewhat valid if you had not mentioned that "Mickey wasn't drawing that last fight out". You said you've watched the movie multiple times, then it should have been obvious that Mickey could have knocked out the guy at any point, but still chose to heed Statham's advice and get beat up. That shows a great deal of damage soak and stamina. Maybe not as much Rocky, but still pretty good.

I do think you're not giving bareknuckled boxing it's due respect. Bareknuckle boxers go through way more punishment than sport pro boxers. I don't believe they have as much stamina, as you don't see bareknuckled boxing go through 12 rounds (though I heard that back in the day some matches could go on for a full hour straight) but the amount of damage you can take without gloves is nothing to take lightly.

I'll say it again. Rocky has never faced anyone who could knockout another fighter with a single blow. Rocky has never been capable of knocking out other fighters with a single blow. Do I think Rocky will get knocked out with a single blow? No. He's tougher than that. But I seriously doubt Rocky can survive multiple rounds with a guy with knockout power like that. thumb up Even Drago did not punch with such deadly efficiency as Mickey did.

Sadako of Girth
....against old worn out has-beens/never-beens with no real skill or speed.
(One of which KO'd Mickey in a way that if in a licenced bout would have counted as a win)
Call me back when Mickey beats Apollo Creed.

The eye of the tiger rings out as Rocky prevails.

The Fat Rambo
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
(One of which KO'd Mickey in a way that if in a licenced bout would have counted as a win)

The eye of the tiger rings out as Rocky prevails. Has nothing to do with this:

thumb up Even Drago did not punch with such deadly efficiency as Mickey did.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

The eye of the tiger rings out as Rocky prevails.

And of course you have absolutely zero proof of just how good those fighters were.

Call me back when Rocky (or any of his opponents) is able to knockout a guy with a single punch.

Male Model
Mickey you so fine, hey Mickey!

focus4chumps
this is fast going to turn into brad pitt butt worship

Originally posted by Male Model
Mickey you so fine, hey Mickey!

/thread, and thank you.

WFrmapGCuhs

Mindset
Rocky wins, get over it, nerds.

The Fat Rambo
And of course you have absolutely zero proof of just how good those fighters were.

Call me back when Rocky (or any of his opponents) is able to knockout a guy with a single punch. BREAK his neck with a single punch. They have no comeback for this so they are dodging it.

Robtard

Call me back when Rocky (or any of his opponents) is able to knockout a guy with a single punch.

Lack of proof for George and Mickey's two other opponents does not supersede the proof we have with how good/superior Rocky's opponents were.

R1- World Champion
R2 - World Champion
R3 - World Champion
R4 - Super enhanced Russian who killed a former World Champion and had an amateur record of 100-0-0 and had a punch "measured between 1850-2150psi"
R5- World Champion (this is old and worn old Rocky)
R6 - World Champion (Rocky didn't win, but he showed he still had his chin and could hang, despite being 60 and long retired)

FrothByte
But just using the word "champion" doesn't automatically make them better than the boxers in Snatch. I mean, Mikey was a bareknuckle champion, meaning that he had to win his championship from a former champion, meaning that he had to defend his title against multiple first contenders.

Sport boxing has more publicity and has a decent ranking system such that we get a good idea of the skills of fighters. Bareknuckle boxing has no such luxury, but that doesn't mean they're not just as good.

Robtard
But just using the word "champion" doesn't automatically make them better than the boxers in Snatch. I mean, Mikey was a bareknuckle champion, meaning that he had to win his championship from a former champion, meaning that he had to defend his title against multiple first contenders.

Sport boxing has more publicity and has a decent ranking system such that we get a good idea of the skills of fighters. Bareknuckle boxing has no such luxury, but that doesn't mean they're not just as good.

I've not downplayed Mickey in here, I've preached of his ability in here.

But his opponents are all but unknown as far as skill, power durability. George didn't do much and seemed to rely on nothing except his large size, 2nd fighter didn't do anything since he was dropped right off and the last guy had 4 rounds of some decent scrappy boxing.

Rocky, we have a much better picture.

To me it comes down to Rocky's chin, which is apparently nigh unbreakable when he's at peak. So after a long fight, he wins.

focus4chumps
right so what have we learned today?

that professional boxing heavyweight champions, amped up with ridiculous strength for the sake of fictional drama, with others who are even so amped up that they can one-punch-kill another heavyweight champion....well they are just no match for homoerotic brad pitt worship. NOT EVEN CLOSE. mikey wins. and he's so sexy.

FrothByte
I've not downplayed Mickey in here, I've preached of his ability in here.

But his opponents are all but unknown as far as skill, power durability. George didn't do much and seemed to rely on nothing except his large size, 2nd fighter didn't do anything since he was dropped right off and the last guy had 4 rounds of some decent scrappy boxing.

Rocky, we have a much better picture.

To me it comes down to Rocky's chin, which is apparently nigh unbreakable when he's at peak. So after a long fight, he wins.

I guess what it then comes down to is Rocky's chin vs. Mikey's power... but then I'd still put my vote on Mikey for 3 reasons:

1. Rocky's chin maybe tough, but he's still human after all and any person is capable of getting knocked out with the right angled punch with the right power. The stronger hitting fighters that Rocky fought (Drago) were sluggers and didn't exactly have pinpoint accuracy with their punches, even if they were strong. I'd like to think of Mickey as a combination of punching power and accuracy.

but even if Mickey doesn't knock him out:

2. There's a good chance that at the end of the fight, Mickey can beat him in points. Rocky isn't a technical boxer (other than Rocky III), and he usually eats more punches than he delivers. Seeing as Mickey is pretty agile when he wants to be, I'd say he puts in more points.

or

3. Referee stops the match due to TKO. Rocky might not get knocked out, but he can definitely get cut. And as much heart as Rocky has if the Referee believes that he's taking too much punches, he can stop the fight.

Of course that's just me. These two guys have so little common ground that a proper debate can be made for both sides.

Robtard
1) Rocky's taken barrages of hits that would have KO'd or killed two men. He's literally superhuman in the ring in terms of punch absorption.

2) There's little to suggest Mickey could last into later rounds. The opposite if anything, since by most appearances his fights end early in.

3) Rocky's never suffered from this before iirc

The Fat Rambo
Mickey broke a man's neck with a single punch. The punch wasn't even a power punch. Keep ignoring this.

Robtard
Mickey broke a man's neck with a single punch. The punch wasn't even a power punch. Keep ignoring this.

Ignoring? We covered that on the first page of this thread; 6th post. Mickey broke George's jaw; why George's mouth was wired shut.

Why are you ignoring that we covered this already?

Why are you ignoring that Rocky's jaw is above and beyond George's?

Why are you ignoring the laundry list of beatings Rocky has survived?

Why are you ignoring the superiority of Rocky's opponents over Mickey's opponents?

focus4chumps
but he KNOCKED A GUY'S HEAD OFF!!!!

Lestov16
kT_pS_4OO7E
es1OJfSDthI

The Fat Rambo
Ignoring? We covered that on the first page of this thread; 6th post. Mickey broke George's jaw; why George's mouth was wired shut.

Why are you ignoring that we covered this already?

Why are you ignoring that Rocky's jaw is above and beyond George's?

Why are you ignoring the laundry list of beatings Rocky has survived?

Why are you ignoring the superiority of Rocky's opponents over Mickey's opponents? George was wearing a Halo neck brace. People do not wear these for broken jaws.

Try again.

Robtard
George was wearing a Halo neck brace. People do not wear these for broken jaws.

Try again.

Incorrect.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6847/96452284.jpg <--- no neck support, no neck injury.

George would have likely been in a full upper body cast with a broken neck. He certainly wouldn't have been out of the hospital and walking a day or two later.

No need try again, we covered it on the first page.

focus4chumps
did you people even see the ****ing movie? what stupidity. its clear he simply has his jaw wired shut. epic fail from the scissor sisters

focus4chumps
doesnt matter. its clear what this thread is really about

mmmmmmmmmmm sexy

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/19600000/Brad-Pitt-brad-pitt-19668688-1280-1024.jpg

The Fat Rambo
Incorrect.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6847/96452284.jpg <--- no neck support, no neck injury.

George would have likely been in a full upper body cast with a broken neck. He certainly wouldn't have been out of the hospital and walking a day or two later.

No need try again, we covered it on the first page. Huh, coulda swore......Oh well, still, Rocky never broke a mans jaw with one drunken punch.

Mindset
Lol...

focus4chumps
thank you fat rambo for taking the (semi)mature route and (kinda) conceding the obviously moot point. maybe you'll start a trend among your gang.

The Fat Rambo
I stated the obvious, but my point still stands.

juggerman
Rocky wins. Mickey was dropped, cut, and almost KO'd in his last fight against someone far inferior to Balboa. Mickey has superior punching power but so did Drago. Rocky's durability is too great and he'll KO the Pikey.

juggerman

He could have won the title and lost it the very next fight. It is never stated how long or how many defences he had or how long it's been since he's been champ iirc

focus4chumps
to be fair, it was well stated that after the second apollo fight, out of all the guys he fought, he couldn't find formidable opponents.

while on the topic of rocky 3:

clubber lang would have buttraped mickey the pickey.

FrothByte
Originally posted by juggerman
Rocky wins. Mickey was dropped, cut, and almost KO'd in his last fight against someone far inferior to Balboa. Mickey has superior punching power but so did Drago. Rocky's durability is too great and he'll KO the Pikey.

Almost KO'd because he wasn't fighting back. When has Rocky ever stood there and let some guy beat up on him? Rocky got beat up... even when he was trying to defend himself. Mickey only got cut and beat up because he was told to throw the fight.

On that subject, it's not as if Rocky wasn't close to getting KO'd as well before.

Robtard
Almost KO'd because he wasn't fighting back. When has Rocky ever stood there and let some guy beat up on him?

Rocky 4. He let Drago pound on him until he was spent. Fight ended on the 15th round.

To a lesser extent Rocky 3, he let Lang tire himself out, but Rocky was dodging heavily instead of taking blows, but he did take several.

FrothByte
Rocky 4. He let Drago pound on him until he was spent. Fight ended on the 15th round.

To a lesser extent Rocky 3, he let Lang tire himself out, but Rocky was dodging heavily instead of taking blows, but he did take several.

Well playing on the defensive like he did (even if did it lousily) and allowing the opponent to tire is quite different from allowing himself to get beat up. It's a common tactic used by some boxers, especially counter punchers and those with strong stamina and chins. Purposely staying on the defensive and allowing your opponent to keep throwing punches at you is still not the same as purposely allowing yourself to get beat up.

I don't mean to downplay Rocky's damage soak, just want to prove that Mickey getting cut up and dizzy while throwing a fight shouldn't be used as a measuring stick for his damage soak in a real fight.

Robtard
Well playing on the defensive like he did (even if did it lousily) and allowing the opponent to tire is quite different from allowing himself to get beat up. It's a common tactic used by some boxers, especially counter punchers and those with strong stamina and chins. Purposely staying on the defensive and allowing your opponent to keep throwing punches at you is still not the same as purposely allowing yourself to get beat up.

I don't mean to downplay Rocky's damage soak, just want to prove that Mickey getting cut up and dizzy while throwing a fight shouldn't be used as a measuring stick for his damage soak in a real fight.

In R4, Rocky specifically allowed himself to get beaten up cos he knew he could take it. Remember Drago's comment in the later rounds after he spent many a round using Rocky as a bodybag? "He's not human, he is like a piece of iron." -Drago

The Fat Rambo

To a lesser extent Rocky 3, he let Lang tire himself out, but Rocky was dodging heavily instead of taking blows, but he did take several. Incorrect. Rocky was letting Drago beat on him to get mad.

focus4chumps
Incorrect. Rocky was letting Drago beat on him to get mad.

that makes no sense

The Fat Rambo
Originally posted by focus4chumps
that makes no sense You're kidding, right? Paulie even says so in Rocky 3. Then Rocky pulled the same thing in 4.

juggerman
Almost KO'd because he wasn't fighting back. When has Rocky ever stood there and let some guy beat up on him? Rocky got beat up... even when he was trying to defend himself. Mickey only got cut and beat up because he was told to throw the fight.

On that subject, it's not as if Rocky wasn't close to getting KO'd as well before.

He was fighting back he was just trying to make the fight last to ensure his people got into position iirc. That and/or he bet on himselfwinning at a certain time.

And you really can't compare Mickey getting hurt by someone pretty random to Rocky getting hurt by Drago, Lang, and Creed.

FrothByte
Originally posted by juggerman
He was fighting back he was just trying to make the fight last to ensure his people got into position iirc. That and/or he bet on himselfwinning at a certain time.

And you really can't compare Mickey getting hurt by someone pretty random to Rocky getting hurt by Drago, Lang, and Creed.

Why not? We have no idea just how good that guy was. Plus Mickey also allowed himself to get beat up by George... bareknuckled!

Getting hit with bare knuckles is way more damaging than getting hit with gloves. You can't compare Rocky getting beat up inside the ring (especially while he was defending himself) with Mickey allowing himself to get beat up with bare knuckles. Even professional boxers who can go 12 rounds in the ring usually get knocked down within a few seconds when they get into street brawls with other boxers.

Besides, more muscles don't necessarily mean stronger punching power. Lang and Creed should be around the same size and weight as George and the other champion Mickey fought. Only Drago is on a different scale.

In fact, if Mickey was fighting either Creed (prime) or Lang, I would have given the fight to them. But Rocky is slow and given the way that Mickey is able to move around when he wants to, I don't see Rocky being able to tag him that much. Even if Rocky somehow manages to survive Mickey's knockout punches (something which I seriously doubt) then the match probably goes to the decision with Mickey winning on points.

FrothByte
Actually I take back the boxers in street fight thing, since I only know of one boxer vs. boxer street fight and that was between Tyson and Green. Still it's worth to point out that Green lasted longer in the ring with Tyson than he did in the brawl.

juggerman
Why not? We have no idea just how good that guy was. Plus Mickey also allowed himself to get beat up by George... bareknuckled!

Getting hit with bare knuckles is way more damaging than getting hit with gloves. You can't compare Rocky getting beat up inside the ring (especially while he was defending himself) with Mickey allowing himself to get beat up with bare knuckles. Even professional boxers who can go 12 rounds in the ring usually get knocked down within a few seconds when they get into street brawls with other boxers.

Besides, more muscles don't necessarily mean stronger punching power. Lang and Creed should be around the same size and weight as George and the other champion Mickey fought. Only Drago is on a different scale.

In fact, if Mickey was fighting either Creed (prime) or Lang, I would have given the fight to them. But Rocky is slow and given the way that Mickey is able to move around when he wants to, I don't see Rocky being able to tag him that much. Even if Rocky somehow manages to survive Mickey's knockout punches (something which I seriously doubt) then the match probably goes to the decision with Mickey winning on points.

You're right we have no idea how good he was. He could have been shit. George too. And George didn't really show much strength or skill iirc.

Like Rocky vs Gunn bare knuckled? I'd say Gunn was much better than George

Lang was able to do to Rocky what Drago was not. I think you are underselling him. And you're right size can mean zilch so George's size does not mean he was impressive at all. Drago on the other hand was a wrecking machine and Lang did better against Rocky than him. True Rocky wasn't as skilled at the time but a shot to the head is a shot to the head.

Maybe Creed and that's a big maybe. Creed showed ridiclously more skill than anybody Mickey fought and way more than Mickey himself. He could dodge punches for days and could easily roll with Mick's hits taking away most of their power. Rocky was able to tag Creed who was a much better boxer/mover than Mickey. Mickey would not be knocking Rocky out easily if at all, seeing as how Rocky became a much better boxer later on i see him taking the points if it got that far.

Robtard
Apollo Creed was modeled at least in part after Muhammad Ali, loud, brash, charismatic; he even has a similar record to Ali's, though he's slightly better. 57-0-2. 56 wins via KO.

juggerman
And his only two loses were to legit supermen.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.