Best origin story of a Superhero in a comic!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Igniz
What's the best origin story of a superhero in a comic?For example, Norrin Rad making a deal with Galactus to become his herald in order to spare his world Zenn-la.Thus becoming the Silver Surfer.

Philosophía
Superman.
Batman.
Spiderman.

Silent Master
LOL!!!

armedforbattle
I personally like Beta Ray Bills back story alot.

Sixth_Winged
Captain Atom
Thor
Gl kyle
Spider-man
Ironman

Sin I AM
Batman....self made bad ass

SevenShackles

Rao Kal El
Call me crazy but i like Blue Marvel's origin

Though Superman, batman and spiderman have to be mentioned for the obvious reasons.

JayDaDon
I think Spider-Man still has my favorite origin followed by Batman

speaking of characters in general and not just heroes

V
silver surfer
rorschack
magneto
galactus
batman
spider-man
doom

-Pr-
Originally posted by SevenShackles
Idk I dont superman that interesting. He lands on an alien planet, gets raised as a great person and decided to use his alien strengths to help people.

If anything I much prefer suoergirls.. It's about the same but the fact she remembers her planet and family enough to miss them and be impacted by the loss ontop of landing on a alien planet, meeting a older version of her baby cousin and having to adapt to the new planet. Never mind the powers that thrusts her into this odd world of super powered individuals more or less out of her control rather than a decision like Clark. (yes she eventually wants to do it but still it's more interesting)

Superman is more about how it's told rather than the bullet points. Birthright, for example, has some heart-wrenching moments.

armedforbattle
Originally posted by 753
magneto

thumb up

abhilegend
Superman.

Golgo13
Spider man and batman.

pym-ftw
Cap

Stoic
Thanos has a pretty decent origin story.

Flyattractor
LOBO:Ultimate Evil Bad Ass from Birth.
Etrigan the Demon/Evil Demon Lord sex with serpent got in a firestorm
Death's Head 1. Funky Robo Magic
Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze 70's supernatural goodness
Shadowman First Valiant Run.
Wild Dog: A How to become a Vigilante story.

Mindset
Invincible
Carl Grimes
Quan

TheGodKiller
Dr Doom.

bluewaterrider
Magneto's backstory does, indeed, rock.
Or at least it used to.

I'm familiar really only with the version that was circulating around 1994 or thereabouts.

Comic writers gave a lot of respect to the character during that period, which, if I remember correctly, was around the year of Magneto #0's publication.

Helped to make Magneto one of my favorite characters then, following only, perhaps, Spider-Man and Rogue.

Actually, now that that I think of it, while Rogue's backstory is, unfortunately, too convoluted for consideration, that of Magneto and Spider-Man would take the top 2 slots.

Cogito

Lord Feron
Batman
Iron Man
X-Man

edit... thats a lot of man...

Batman-Prime

Martian_mind
Batman

psycho gundam
surfer, batman, and iron man

Estacado
Atrocitus.
He is more like an anti hero though...

SevenShackles
Someone mentioned invincible, I think that's a good origin also. Plays out rather nicely.
Magneto I think can be considered a hero at this Point so I think he is easily in the top 5 best origins.

I also like wolverines origin. Glad they brought dog back into the comics, at least so far.

Originally posted by -Pr-
Superman is more about how it's told rather than the bullet points. Birthright, for example, has some heart-wrenching moments.

I can see your point. thumb up

Stoic
When I read Dreadstar's origin as a kid, I thought that it was the stuff of legends. I've been looking for that type of feeling in a comic series for a very long time, and nothing has quite captured the same feel.

Oh, and Planet Hulk was a great set up origin story for Skaar... sh!t come to think of it, the story filled in many gaps for several characters all at once.

Mindship
Galactus
Surfer
Superman

SquallX
Kon-El has one if the best origins.

Created from a genetic sample of the most powerful man in the world, and one of the most sadistic mofos around. Yet he choose to be good, gain a family in the Kent's and friends in the TT, and actually got a pretty good girlfriend.

Though some writers sometimes sucks in writing him the right way.

Blair Wind
Magneto
Spider-Man
Batman
Iron Man
Kyle Rayner
Captain America - only because they can continually age how long he was in the ice and still have him be a part of WW2, whereas Magneto being connected to WW2 won't make any sense 100 real life years into the future.

Originally posted by SevenShackles
Idk I dont superman that interesting. He lands on an alien planet, gets raised as a great person and decided to use his alien strengths to help people.

If anything I much prefer Supergirl's. It's about the same but the fact she remembers her planet and family enough to miss them and be impacted by the loss on top of landing on a alien planet, meeting a older version of her baby cousin and having to adapt to the new planet. Never mind the powers that thrusts her into this odd world of super powered individuals more or less out of her control rather than a decision like Clark. (yes she eventually wants to do it but still it's more interesting)

thumb up

I've never understood Superman's need to feel like a loner - he's never known anything about Krypton, doesn't remember anything about it and for all intents and purposes, he's just a really powerful meta-human. To pretend that losing his entire race holds any emotional impact on him doesn't make sense when he never had an emotional connection to them in the first place, at least IMO.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Blair Wind

I've never understood Superman's need to feel like a loner - he's never known anything about Krypton, doesn't remember anything about it and for all intents and purposes, he's just a really powerful meta-human. To pretend that losing his entire race holds any emotional impact on him doesn't make sense when he never had an emotional connection to them in the first place, at least IMO. thumb up

Igniz
Nice picks guys.It seems Spiderman's and Batman's origin story are popular.To me, I think the best origin story would be Ghost Rider(Noble Kale).If you read his origin story, you would be sympathizing him and the situation his in.

SquallX
Magneto
Spider-Man
Batman
Iron Man
Kyle Rayner
Captain America - only because they can continually age how long he was in the ice and still have him be a part of WW2, whereas Magneto being connected to WW2 won't make any sense 100 real life years into the future.

thumb up

I've never understood Superman's need to feel like a loner - he's never known anything about Krypton, doesn't remember anything about it and for all intents and purposes, he's just a really powerful meta-human. To pretend that losing his entire race holds any emotional impact on him doesn't make sense when he never had an emotional connection to them in the first place, at least IMO.

Because few people can relate to him.

Knowing he has such a legacy, learning about his people and parents, and there Death, yet he still can't find a way to save them.

Worse yet, after believing he's the last one of his kind, only for Zod to show up and wanting to gave his skull in instead is a giant load to carry.

Also, Clark doesn't need to know who is parents were, he knows he's there legacy, his parent went through a lot to save him. It would be a slap in the face of his dead parents if he didn't strive to be a better man.

JakeTheBank
Batman
Superman
Captain Marvel/Shazam

Spider-Man
Captain America
Fantastic Four

-Pr-
Magneto
Spider-Man
Batman
Iron Man
Kyle Rayner

thumb up

I honestly completely disagree. For years he was definitely a loner, and still is in many ways.

Superman grew up feeling different. Not like gay or black different, but literally "there's nobody else like you in the world" different. He got his powers long before most heroes do, and was told even from a young age that he had to hide who he was. He's not a metahuman, because he's not human. He's an entirely different species, and is the only one "like him" in the world.

Or at least he was for a time until Supergirl turned up.

And in plenty of incarnations, Superman does remember being in the pod as he was sent from Krypton, or he's met Jor'El by travelling through time/space.

abhilegend
Magneto
Spider-Man
Batman
Iron Man
Kyle Rayner

thumb up

Untill COIE i.e. for 50 years of his publication, he could remember his entire life on krypton which by varying depictions ranged from a few years to entire decades since kryptonians life span was in hundreds of earth years. After COIE only Byrne had him not remembering his life on krypton which was brought back later on. Losing your parents+your whole planet as a kid and remembering every detail of it no matter how minute can make anybody a loner.

BerserkersRage
The Pact. Orion and Scott Free.

Khazra Reborn
Lobo. He fragged his entire race for a science project, gave himself an A.

celeyhyga17
Norrin Radd - Saves his planet only to become a killer for a devourer of worlds. In doing he not only sacrifices himself, he sacrifices his soul as well.

Billy Batson (Nu52) - A miserable orphan/foster kid who knew nothing all his life, but bad people and mischief. After careful scrutiny, the Wizard is in disbelief that the boy has the capacity for doing great good. The rest is history.

Endless Mike
Flex Mentallo

Male Model
Conan is epic, Orphan, Slave, Gladiator, Thief, Mercenary, Pirate, King.. It's almost biblical by crom!

the hulk's origin is pretty interesting too, although I could care less about him saving the retard on a motorbike. it's the fact a creator of WMDs is transformed into one by his own creation that does it for me. also remembering hellblazer (vertigo one, not DCNU) deserves an honorable mention. joker as per the killing joke is an interesting concept as well.

Overall, I'd say V, Magneto and SS have the 3 best origins all around.

Cogito
Originally posted by -Pr-
I honestly completely disagree. For years he was definitely a loner, and still is in many ways.

Superman grew up feeling different. Not like gay or black different, but literally "there's nobody else like you in the world" different. He got his powers long before most heroes do, and was told even from a young age that he had to hide who he was. He's not a metahuman, because he's not human. He's an entirely different species, and is the only one "like him" in the world.

Or at least he was for a time until Supergirl turned up.

And in plenty of incarnations, Superman does remember being in the pod as he was sent from Krypton, or he's met Jor'El by travelling through time/space.

thumb up

Also, back when Superman was first created there weren't a million other metas, which makes the "different" feeling more pronounced than it is now.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Cogito
thumb up

Also, back when Superman was first created there weren't a million other metas, which makes the "different" feeling more pronounced than it is now.

Definitely.

Horrificus
Magus. (Afro)

Starhawk

Guy Gardner, (up until he became an alien, or whatever)

Beta Ray Bill

Q99
It's not *exactly* a comic, but Terry McGuiness.

Basically it's "What if Spider-Man was Batman? And what if he was kinda Iron Man too?"

His father died and he failed to save him, so he decided to become Batman to strike fear into the hearts of criminals. At the same time, he has to deal with real life normal problems like school and friends, while he has a thankless job of literally 'gopher', and sometimes he needs to get involved in big company stuff to try and stop people from using it for nefarious purposes.

Mindset
Definitely not Superman or any character Pr likes.

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/02-mmhmm.gif

psycho gundam
^ thumb up

it ain'tnot even about pr. cyke's, sm's and am's origins just aint that cool

-Pr-
Originally posted by Mindset
Definitely not Superman or any character Pr likes.

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/02-mmhmm.gif

sad

Astner
Originally posted by 753
V
Not even a contest.

TheHulk
Thanos
Big G
Surfer
Spider-Man
Wolverine
Hulk
Captain America

Not trying to sound like a ass...but Supes and Bats are not that good when it comes to their origins story...

Superman-Shot to earth in a pod and grows up different...boring...a lot of children before and even after reaching Teen years felt like that...well in my opinion

Batman-his parents die in front of him,yes but seriously he decides to dress completely like a Bat...not only me but even in the comics his own teammates question hid mentality...

curryman
Flex Mentallo

Guy Gardner

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by TheHulk
Not trying to sound like a ass...but Supes and Bats are not that good when it comes to their origins story...

Superman-Shot to earth in a pod and grows up different...boring...a lot of children before and even after reaching Teen years felt like that...well in my opinion

Batman-his parents die in front of him,yes but seriously he decides to dress completely like a Bat...not only me but even in the comics his own teammates question hid mentality...

Too late. stick out tongue

But seriously, I'm baffled that anyone can disagree that Superman and Batman don't have great origins. Even if they're not your favorite characters (I like Superman, but he's probably my fourth favorite DC guy and phuck Batgod), their origins are incredibly dynamic.

Oliver North
Originally posted by Horrificus
Starhawk

thumb upthumb up

I'd say anything Steve Gerber got to work out, but Starhawk for sure!

-Pr-
Originally posted by TheHulk
Thanos
Big G
Surfer
Spider-Man
Wolverine
Hulk
Captain America

Actually, the point about Superman isn't that he just feels different, but the fact that he IS different. More different than anyone else, so no, he's not just like every other kid.

JakeTheBank
The funny thing is that Superman, at least his upbringing as Clark Kent, makes him infinitely more relatable to the average person more so than Batman.

Clark's felt different from his peers, somewhat teased as a child, has to take care of his folks (your canon may vary), deals with been "friendzoned" by the woman he loves, constantly plays the role of "nice guy" (though in the past couple of decades, he's had a pair even as Clark) and has to deal with making ends meet.

-Pr-
Yeah, that's true. bruce is almost inhuman to the point of ridiculousness.

Mindship
Would Astroboy count? The story of a heartbroken father who builds a robot version to replace the son he lost...and then rejects him because, well, he's not the real thing...

That's chock full of heaviosity.

yaadaveyaa
magneto #1 and batman a close # 2

Konton
I really liked Emma Frost's, where she developed her powers while in school and met Astrid Bloom and came into her own quite smoothly. Really gave an insight as to how ****ed up her family was/is.

The recent retcon to gaining her powers while failing at being a stripper at the Hellfire Club was a crime against the character.

Buuut my real favorite origin is probably the Shade.

SevenShackles
Hawk eye and blackknight (the medieval, master of evil leading up to Dane Whitman who was a member of the avengers) are cool origin stories that there aren't many duplicates of. The more duplicate origin stories (or overly identical if you rather) the more it sort of takes away from the original for me. Just a tad anyway.

Raisen
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Magneto's backstory does, indeed, rock.
Or at least it used to.

I'm familiar really only with the version that was circulating around 1994 or thereabouts.

Comic writers gave a lot of respect to the character during that period, which, if I remember correctly, was around the year of Magneto #0's publication.

Helped to make Magneto one of my favorite characters then, following only, perhaps, Spider-Man and Rogue.

Actually, now that that I think of it, while Rogue's backstory is, unfortunately, too convoluted for consideration, that of Magneto and Spider-Man would take the top 2 slots.

I like this. Magneto and Spider Man popped into my head also.I like Daredevils too but it doesn't match up to the aformentioned.

pym-ftw
Prof. X and Magneto

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.