Does the country you were born in define your nationality?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RamyA333RR
I am Lebanese citizen Born in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates or UAE on 10 June 1995, and grew up in its neighboring city Dubai where Burj Khalifa. Well UAE is a very famous country, and so developed. so I feel that I am more like Emarati than Lebanese because I had lived there in UAE since the moment I was born there in Abu Dhabi. And since I lived there for 18 years ago, and I still live there enjoying my life in the Emirates.

Mairuzu
Usually governments like to claim you as their property the moment you plop out of that vagina. Which ever government you want to be ruled by, with their arbitrarily lined out nations, is how you can define your "nationality". Such as a cow can brand himself as a Farmer Johnsican.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Usually your parents have agreed to make you subject to a government the moment you go rocketing out of that vagina like a missile and bounce around in an amusing bit of slapstick.

Fixed that one for you.

Mairuzu
Someone cannot agree for me, sorry. Nice try. How far down that chain are you willing to go?

Oliver North
Mairuzu: do you really think he was asking if the government will let him identify with a nation not of his birth?

Mairuzu
He was asking if the country he was born in defines his nationality and I told him he can define his nationality however he wants depending on which government he wants to rule him.

Omega Vision
We're all about to get truth-bombed.

Oliver North
He was asking if the country he was born in defines his nationality and I told him he can define his nationality however he wants depending on which government he wants to rule him.

So if I define myself by my Scottish roots I am now a subject of the British Empire?

Symmetric Chaos
Someone cannot agree for me, sorry. Nice try. How far down that chain are you willing to go?

Infants have full agency in your world?

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Oliver North
So if I define myself by my Scottish roots I am now a subject of the British Empire? Only if you imagine to be so smile

You seem to question it as if im the authority. Its all up to you.

Oliver North
Only if you imagine to be so smile

You seem to question it as if im the authority. Its all up to you.

I don't have a lot of say in what nation I belong to, unless being able to drop everything and move hundreds of kilometers from where I am now is a reasonable "choice".

The OP is obviously asking about the culture they feel they want to be a part of... /ffs

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Infants have full agency in your world? Parents cannot subject me to a government, the government subjects me to itself by force, usually upheld by the imagination of the masses of people who believe their right to rule.

Come on silly. The only agreement (mother alone) had was having me in her current area where she was at the time.

Omega Vision
I don't have a lot of say in what nation I belong to, unless being able to drop everything and move hundreds of kilometers from where I am now is a reasonable "choice".

The OP is obviously asking about the culture they feel they want to be a part of... /ffs
Coward. If you were a real man you'd get a gun and build a fortress of freedom in the Montana Badlands to fight off Uncle Sam's unwanted advances.

Mairuzu
I don't have a lot of say in what tax farm I belong to, unless being able to drop everything and move hundreds of kilometers (to another tax farm) from where I am now is a reasonable "choice".

Culture differs from nation. I have mexican culture, I am not mexican seeing as I live and am controlled by the american government. That is not what the OP was asking, but if it was I think he can answer that for himself wink

Oliver North
he is talking about feeling like an Emerati living in Lebanon, this is clearly a question of cultural identity, it has nothing to do with legal citizenship.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Coward. If you were a real man you'd get a gun and build a fortress of freedom in the Montana Badlands to fight off Uncle Sam's unwanted advances.

Lol, the fortress is in your own mind. Do they own you or do you own yourself?

Mairuzu
he is talking about feeling like an Emerati living in Lebanon, this is clearly a question of cultural identity, it has nothing to do with legal citizenship.

Did you not see the title of the OP?

But again, it all depends on what you imagine. smile

Oliver North
/facepalm

Mairuzu
What does the title say in the OP?

Symmetric Chaos
Parents cannot subject me to a government

Yes they can. You can complain about, sure, it but they can.

Come on silly. The only agreement (mother alone) had was having me in her current area where she was at the time.

She could choose to have given birth to you anywhere she wished.
She could choose to get rid of her citizenship before giving birth.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yes they can. You can complain about, sure, it but they can.

She could choose to have given birth to you anywhere she wished.
She could choose to get rid of her citizenship before giving birth.

This assume government has ownership over me. Which they do not. They can force me to do things and I can comply to save my life but this differs not from a mob.

thats a very idiotic way of thinking

Symmetric Chaos
This assume government has ownership over me. Which they do not.

Why not?

They can force me to do things and I can comply to save my life but this differs not from a mob.

Sounds like ownership to me.

Mairuzu
Its nothing but force and coercion. There is no such thing as ownership over another human being. Do you find that difficult to understand?

Utrigita
In my case yes. But then again I think it's highly individual, the values I perceive as being important to my nationality might have a entirely different meaning to the guy next door. But basically what defines a nation is something that have been discussed at length and most likely will continue to be so.

Originally posted by RamyA333RR
I am Lebanese citizen Born in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates or UAE on 10 June 1995, and grew up in its neighboring city Dubai where Burj Khalifa. Well UAE is a very famous country, and so developed. so I feel that I am more like Emarati than Lebanese because I had lived there in UAE since the moment I was born there in Abu Dhabi. And since I lived there for 18 years ago, and I still live there enjoying my life in the Emirates. didnt read the thread. your question is actually about whether nationality should define one's (ethnic) sense of identity. that's up to you. I didn't get whether you are legally considered an EAU national or not.

most countries use a jus solis rationale for nationality, meaning your birth within the borders makes you a national, while some other practice jus sanguinis, wherein you'd have to be a direct descendant of national, who in turn would have to be the direct descendant of a national, so on and so forth back to a population that would ultimately have to precede the modern national state itself. jus sanguinis is an atempt to define nationality almost around 'race' lines. germany is an example (no surprise there) and there are cases of people whose bloodlines have been in germany for 4 generations and still aren't considered german, because they dont descend from aryan ubermensch, I mean ethnic germans. /trolling

Yurika
Born and live in the same country. So i have never had such confusion.

jaden101
She could've done us all a favour and had him 7 months early in an abortion clinic and saved us all the wishy washy conspiracy nonsense.

Bardock42
I, for one, am glad we have Mairuzu to contribute to this forum.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bardock42
I, for one, am glad we have Mairuzu to contribute to this forum.
You like having someone around to make you look smarter by comparison?

Symmetric Chaos
Its nothing but force and coercion.

Yeah, that's what I said: Ownership.

ArtificialGlory
My birthplace and ethnicity match the country I was born in(and live in), but, frankly, I care little for it.

siriuswriter
I'm American - but I don't identify with it. At least, what means "USA" to me. Remember that song with the line "...we're gonna kick your ass, cuz it's the American way..." NO IDENTIFY. Frankly, I'm offended by that. When the war in Iraq started, I was so angry. First of all, Bush had started a war without colluding with the branches of his government. I wondered why nobody stepped in to call him out. Also, the Bush/Gore elections, I wondered why nobody was enforcing the fact that Gore actually had more votes.

Being a patriot, in the regular sense of the word, is a hard thing for me, as I've lived and become more aware of politics and social issues. It just seems like the government is doing whatever the hell they want, whatever the price financially or culturally.

However, I do identify with the uniqueness that can be found here - the culture clashes that created beautiful things. Like jazz, the blues, folk music, bluegrass, , places like Portland, Oregon, and NYC, New York. I love the fact that some people can still associate this country with hope - even though that doesn't happen like it used to. So I guess you could say I associate with American culture, but I definitely think the government has way too many holes that need to be patched.

Omega Vision
I'm only an American when in the presence of foreigners.

Jim Colyer
I am American to the bone. Wouldn't have it any other way.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I'm only an American when in the presence of foreigners.

Ugh, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Major_Lexington
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Ugh, I know exactly what you're talking about.

yep, don't they call the US the "melting pot" for no reason. They say that everyone is from somewhere else, I mean is the US you are defined by your family's ancestry but when you visit the rest of the world you are American

IamEvangeline
For me it does, but not to a massive extent.

jinXed by JaNx
potatoes and carrots :-)

dadudemon
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
potatoes and carrots :-)

This is evidence about your ancestry.

I conclude that your parents are ninnies based on this evidence.

Here's how:

1. Potatoes and Carrots are both vegetables.
2. Someone who would take pride in mentioning Potatoes and Carrots is a person that takes pride in vegetables.
3. In the context of this thread, that is a clue about your birthplace/heritage which points to your parents.
4. Your parents instilled this belief of pride in vegetables since you were a wee laddie.
5. This means your parents are vegetarians/vegans.
6. Vegetarians/vegans are ninnies.

Conclusion: your parents are ninnies.

If you made it this far into my post: evillaugh

If you've made it this far, then you probably meant Irish or something but I could not just straight up state that, no could I? big grin

Bentley
National identities are a sham in my opinion, they are an invention of the late 19th century that is only useful to manipulate people into some sort of national guilt. Again, if you actually care about those elements, it is not an entirely national phenomena, but a local culture that you cherish and value. The idea of a nation having a single identity is ridiculous anyways -maybe if it was a tiny tiny nation?-.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bentley
National identities ... are an invention of the late 19th century...

No.

Oliver North
meh, sort of

"Nationalism" certainly is, as is the modern concept of the Nation-State. I can see the argument that "national identity" may predate this because of people identifying with their local empire or whatever, but that idea itself changed in very serious ways over the course of the world wars.

Oliver North
Nosq94oCl_M

Oliver North
missed the edit, but: BTW, if you haven't watched the "Crash Course: World History" vids, they are awesome. Gloss over a lot of stuff to make 10 min vids, but really good for what they are.

Bardock42
I second that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.