ROTS Obi Wan vs ROTS Darth Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PhoenixSam5
Let's use all of our EU knowledge about Force powers and combat between Force users for this thread.

Yoda said that Obi Wan couldn't kill the Emperor because he wasn't strong enough to fight him.

I doubt that. I think Obi Wan could've killed Sidious.

He could easily dodge the Force lightning (obi wan could force jump, as shown in ROTS), and I think he could block Force lightning with his lightsaber, and maybe in a lightsaber duel he could've defeated Sidious.

I'm not really an EU expert on Force powers or lightsaber combat skills or how to measure how good a force user is in a duel, so whoever agrees or disagrees with me can argue about Obi Wan being powerful enough to defeat Sidious.

NewGuy01
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4124/000obithrow9wk1wyaq9.gif

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by NewGuy01
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4124/000obithrow9wk1wyaq9.gif

What's your point?

Ascendancy
His point that is if Dooku KOed Obi like it was nothing, he stood about zero chance going toe to toe with Palps.

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by Ascendancy
His point that is if Dooku KOed Obi like it was nothing, he stood about zero chance going toe to toe with Palps.

How exactly would Palpatine have killed Obi wan in a duel?

pencilcrayon
His kick is quite strong for a grown man to be thrown a few meters. Was that force enhanced?

Zampanó
I think that the feats and abilities of one character are more impressive than that of the other.

Jedi Mom
Basically that Dooku shits all over Obi-Wan in the force, and Sidious shits all over Dooku in the force.

NTJack0
Yoda saved Obi-Wan from this stomp for a reason.

Galan007
Originally posted by PhoenixSam5
Yoda said that Obi Wan couldn't kill the Emperor because he wasn't strong enough to fight him.

I doubt that. I think Obi Wan could've killed Sidious. Why are you acting like Yoda is a senile idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about? He flat-out stated that Kenobi was not strong enough to fight Palpatine-- hell, Yoda himself was barely strong enough for the task.

Point: Palps would smoke Kenobi with even less effort than Dooku(if that's even possible.)

-Pr-
I'll argue about Kenobi's saber skills until I'm blue in the face, but when it comes to the force, as underrated as I think Kenobi is, he's not going to challenge Palpatine. Sidious would stomp him so bad...

Galan007
Even in a pure saber battle, Kenobi is at a disadvantage, imo. Both Nick Gillard and George Lucas have made multiple comments pertaining to how fuggin good Palps is with a blade:

"Sidious' abilities are beyond anything we've experienced." - NG

"It took a really long time for Nick (Gillard) to work out Sidious' fighting style, and he has a style that's constantly changing. His style is one in which you'll never get the better of him. It is ambiguous --- he'll fight less than you and draw you in; you're a sucker if you think you're going to better him." - GL

"Sidious is a master of every weapon and every style."- NG

"He's better than Yoda in a way because he has the extra power of the dark side," Gillard explains. "His character is so shrouded that his fighting style should be shrouded as well. The Emperor is deadly dangerous."- NG

So even though the particular form(s) of combat Palpatine uses are yet a mystery, clearly Form VII/Juyo is one of the key components in his hybrid style-- which makes sense given that Maul was a very proficient practitioner of Juyo, and Palps is who taught him those skills. Anyway, this is important because Kenobi's Form III is inherently weak against Form VII:
"While attacks can eviscerate defenses---even the blocks of a Form III master..." - A Manual for Students of the Force

Regardless, I'm not saying that there isn't a potential for Kenobi to put up some sort of fight-- Kas'im made it clear that finely tuned lightsaber skills can bridge a significant gap in force power: "Someone well trained in lightsaber combat can defeat an opponent who is stronger in the Force." However, where saber skills are concerned, Palps is pretty much as good as it gets + he appears to use a form of combat well-suited for breaching Kenobi's defenses.

Jedi Mom
Also, NG stated Palpatine was a level 9 swordsman while Kenobi was stated as a level 8 swordsman.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Is this thread a joke? Palps would beat Kenobi in an all out fight... In a saber fight.. I think Palps would eventually win.. but it would be a struggle. Especially if we are talkign about a kenobi merged with the force and acting as it vessel as we've seen. That kenobi.. in a sabers only battle with sids.. Imo might lose.. but I would learn more towards a stalemate.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Is this thread a joke? Palps would beat Kenobi in an all out fight... In a saber fight.. I think Palps would eventually win.. but it would be a struggle. Especially if we are talkign about a kenobi merged with the force and acting as it vessel as we've seen. That kenobi.. in a sabers only battle with sids.. Imo might lose.. but I would learn more towards a stalemate.

I agree. I think if Obi-Wan fights the way he did against Maul/Opress then no one is taking him down easy (in a pure Saber fight).

He might even win against a top-tier duelist as he proved against Sith Anakin.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Galan007
Even in a pure saber battle, Kenobi is at a disadvantage, imo. Both Nick Gillard and George Lucas have made multiple comments pertaining to how fuggin good Palps is with a blade:

"Sidious' abilities are beyond anything we've experienced." - NG

"It took a really long time for Nick (Gillard) to work out Sidious' fighting style, and he has a style that's constantly changing. His style is one in which you'll never get the better of him. It is ambiguous --- he'll fight less than you and draw you in; you're a sucker if you think you're going to better him." - GL

"Sidious is a master of every weapon and every style."- NG

"He's better than Yoda in a way because he has the extra power of the dark side," Gillard explains. "His character is so shrouded that his fighting style should be shrouded as well. The Emperor is deadly dangerous."- NG

So even though the particular form(s) of combat Palpatine uses are yet a mystery, clearly Form VII/Juyo is one of the key components in his hybrid style-- which makes sense given that Maul was a very proficient practitioner of Juyo, and Palps is who taught him those skills. Anyway, this is important because Kenobi's Form III is inherently weak against Form VII:
"While attacks can eviscerate defenses---even the blocks of a Form III master..." - A Manual for Students of the Force

Regardless, I'm not saying that there isn't a potential for Kenobi to put up some sort of fight-- Kas'im made it clear that finely tuned lightsaber skills can bridge a significant gap in force power: "Someone well trained in lightsaber combat can defeat an opponent who is stronger in the Force." However, where saber skills are concerned, Palps is pretty much as good as it gets + he appears to use a form of combat well-suited for breaching Kenobi's defenses.

Sorry, I should have been clearer; I was speaking in a more general sense, not in a match between the two. My bad. Palps would win that too.

Galan007
Oh, well yeah. Completely agree.

PhoenixSam5
There's a book series called the Inheritance Cycle.

In that series, it says that somebody can defeat an opponent that is much more powerful than they are, if they use their intelligence and find a weakness in their enemy's powers, that they normally could not defeat in a straight up fight.

Obi Wan could find a weakness in Sidious and get past that, and defeat him.

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by Ascendancy

Not nessecarily. obi wan could dodge palpatine's force lightning with a force jump.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20051203234818/starwars/images/8/84/ObiWanForceJumpEp3.JPG

-Pr-
and he'd most likely get zapped out of the air.

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by -Pr-
and he'd most likely get zapped out of the air.

By that logic, anybody who fights sidious, even Anakin (an anakin that never got burned and got twice as powerful as palpatine) could be zapped out of the air and, also, by that logic, Anakin couldn't defeat Sidious.

NewGuy01
Yeah... He couldn't.

axel_jovan
Kenobi gets beaten into a bloody pulp in the Force and all-out. In pure sabers he puts up a fight but ultimately loses.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.