can hulk be at his best in a film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shabazz916
is it possible for hulk to totally let loose in a movie ??? how would it look do you think we will ever see him unleashed ???

JakeTheBank
If by "best" you mean World Breaker, I doubt it.

Movie makers tend to ground their heroes to make it more believable and relatable (not sure why people think you can relate to overly powerful characters, but whatevs). It's why the movie counterparts are almost always exclusively weaker than their comic versions.

Sundipped
It can be done visually and special effects wise but those who don't keep up with the comics would say WB Hulk is grossly overpowered and it would be hard to accept for the mainstream audience.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by JakeTheBank

Movie makers tend to ground their heroes to make it more believable and relatable (not sure why people think you can relate to overly powerful characters, but whatevs). It's why the movie counterparts are almost always exclusively weaker than their comic versions.

*can't relate

TheHulk
Originally posted by Sundipped
It can be done visually and special effects wise but those who don't keep up with the comics would say WB Hulk is grossly overpowered and it would be hard to accept for the mainstream audience. If it actually happen it would be a beautiful sight though...

TheHulk

Movie makers tend to ground their heroes to make it more believable and relatable (not sure why people think you can relate to overly powerful characters, but whatevs). It's why the movie counterparts are almost always exclusively weaker than their comic versions. this

Zack Fair
Uh...possible? Definitely. How much would he be cutting loose? Would it be close to his comic book counterpart's best feats?

I think the better question is, would people like it?

I'm inclined to believe it depends on how OP/ridiculous the "cutting loose" is. People didn't really like Bana's Hulk eventhough it was closer to his comic book counterpart than in other movies.

Then again it all really depends on how they execute it. Hulk was doing some LOLWTF stunts in Avengers and people loved it.

Stoic
Originally posted by Shabazz916
is it possible for hulk to totally let loose in a movie ??? how would it look do you think we will ever see him unleashed ???

CGI yes, live action no.

-Pr-
I don't think movie audiences are ready for seeing Hulk like that.

It's possible, though.

curryman
Hulk's already being pushed much farther than the other heroes, so I don't see why this is a concern really stick out tongue

Mindship
I think after seeing worldwide devastation via "Independence Day", "2012", "Transformers", etc, seeing Hulk go to town in all that CGI magnificence would be a feast for the eyes.

To make a good movie, however, the writing and character development had best be up to par with the FX. Otherwise you get GI Joe.

For that matter, there are a few heroes I wouldn't mind seeing given the planet-wrecker treatment, eg, Thor, Surfer, Superman. Bring it on. Let's see what these babies can do in let-loose, live-action, big-screen style.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Mindship
I think after seeing worldwide devastation via "Independence Day", "2012", "Transformers", etc, seeing Hulk go to town in all that CGI magnificence would be a feast for the eyes.

To make a good movie, however, the writing and character development had best be up to par with the FX. Otherwise you get GI Joe.

For that matter, there are a few heroes I wouldn't mind seeing given the planet-wrecker treatment, eg, Thor, Surfer, Superman. Bring it on. Let's see what these babies can do in let-loose, live-action, big-screen style.

it wouldnt transfer well onto the movie screen

Mindship
Originally posted by Sin I AM
it wouldnt transfer well onto the movie screen Only one way to know for sure.

Oliver North
*can't relate

It tends to depersonalize the conflict. Not that it would make a bad movie, it is that it would appeal to less of the population and make less money.

Sin I AM
Only one way to know for sure.

they should try an anime first imo

Sin I AM
plus in the movies you have to believe there is a plausible way for the character to lose......there has o be a threat greater than itself.....once characters get past high herald they lose their relateability

Oliver North
ya, when the enemy gets too powerful, the danger becomes abstract. People are more attracted to the danger of the hero losing his loved ones or something personal, when the danger is "the universe will end" or similar, it just isn't personal enough for most people.

I'd love a surfer movie that was entirely tripped out and non-personal in this way, but the cost of such a film far outpaces the money they would get back on it. Same would be said of a WBH style film. It could work, it wouldn't be profitable.

TheHulk
But we all can i agree any planetary busting power shown in movies will be awesome XD

Mindship
they should try an anime first imo Actually, what I would love to see is a total CGI movie. I think most of us are familiar with that youtube clip (since removed due to copyright infringement) where Superman, Batman, etc, are fighting Lex, the Joker, Black Adam in a devastated city, which ends with Superman getting speared by Lex (I think this was part of a game). Man, I could watch that over and over.
plus in the movies you have to believe there is a plausible way for the character to lose......there has o be a threat greater than itself.....once characters get past high herald they lose their relateability This indeed could be a problem. But I still think that if it's intelligently done (tall order, I know), it could work. Writers would have to make sure, eg, that the protagonist does have some human quality one could sympathize with.

Originally posted by Oliver North
ya, when the enemy gets too powerful, the danger becomes abstract. People are more attracted to the danger of the hero losing his loved ones or something personal, when the danger is "the universe will end" or similar, it just isn't personal enough for most people.The Star Trek franchise has saved the universe countless times. But then, they have The Kirk.

Originally posted by TheHulk
But we all can i agree any planetary busting power shown in movies will be awesome XD Best if it happened slowly, with huge chunks separating, interspersed with scenes of absolute mayhem at ground level, lava, vast tornadoes, etc. If it happens too quickly (ala Death Star), it's harder to savor the moment.

Scarlet315
If done right, i think it's possible. For instance i can't imagine anyone comicbook lover or not, not wanting to see an overlypowered superman who has been mind controlled by either poison ivy or lex and having someone like batman stopping him. This can do two things, first show how powerful superman really is and actually show the best of both characters.

Sin I AM
i dont think everyone would appreciate our subculture

-Pr-
Originally posted by Scarlet315
If done right, i think it's possible. For instance i can't imagine anyone comicbook lover or not, not wanting to see an overlypowered superman who has been mind controlled by either poison ivy or lex and having someone like batman stopping him. This can do two things, first show how powerful superman really is and actually show the best of both characters.

But Batman is stopping him. And Superman is being mind controlled.

Zack Fair
If done right, i think it's possible. For instance i can't imagine anyone comicbook lover or not, not wanting to see an overlypowered superman who has been mind controlled by either poison ivy or lex and having someone like batman stopping him. This can do two things, first show how powerful superman really is and actually show the best of both characters. http://24.media.tumblr.com/f4a4aeb269d94e79ce4b9fba5716dc60/tumblr_mff1txlfPu1rs7k3ko1_500.jpg

Oliver North
The Star Trek franchise has saved the universe countless times. But then, they have The Kirk.

Star Trek is almost a perfect example. For one, it never had the widespread appeal that would have a movie studio greenlight a project akin to what is being described in the OP.

Additionally, they did a great job of, no matter how abstract or "out-there" the threat, always making the immediate danger to the crew and characters people cared about the most salient thing. Viewers were always way more interested in how Kirk and Spock would survive, even if the universe would also be destroyed. For as much cheese as there was in the show, ST had some decent writing.

even as a comicbook fan, I can't say that is particularly interesting, or rather, I'd say that idea would almost certainly be better suited to an animated video.

But no, the market has shown that such a movie would have a passionate base, but would not appeal beyond people who already cared about bats and supes.

The vast majority of people care more about seeing Clark rescue Lois than about some demonstration of how powerful Superman is. Think of the Super-kid in Superman Returns: To comic fans it was terrible, but for everyone else who doesn't care about continuity in that way, it added a personal dimension which drew them in to the film more.

Zack Fair
Really? I thought everyone hated Super kid and creeper Kal-El.

-Pr-
I did.

Oliver North
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Really? I thought everyone hated Super kid and creeper Kal-El.

I'm not saying people are going away thinking he was the best character, but in terms of building traditional movie suspense and all that, it is a really typical sort of role. I'd imagine people who aren't so invested in these characters that they post about them in their private time just didn't care outside of "OMG Superman, save your baby!"

leonidas
Originally posted by Shabazz916

no, not fully.

Mindship
Star Trek is almost a perfect example. For one, it never had the widespread appeal that would have a movie studio greenlight a project akin to what is being described in the OP.I'm not sure about that. I mean, this is Trek. Like Star Wars, people live/swear by this stuff.

Additionally, they did a great job of, no matter how abstract or "out-there" the threat, always making the immediate danger to the crew and characters people cared about the most salient thing. Viewers were always way more interested in how Kirk and Spock would survive, even if the universe would also be destroyed. For as much cheese as there was in the show, ST had some decent writing.
Indeed, character development, and a believable approach to the whole starflight thing, is really what made the show, whether they saved the whole universe or just Star Base Whatever. But, imho, I think what also made universe-saving adventures work in Trek is that they were already out among the stars, a huge, spectacular theater by definition, whereas superhero stories tend to be earthbound.

I'm just saying, if done right, a grand scenario could work in a superhero flick. But yeah, as you and Sin I Am pointed out, it would be a major challenge which would probably lapse into a quick-scheme, profit-seeking FX-heavy dud.

Maybe Spielberg should handle it...

Stoic
i dont think everyone would appreciate our subculture

Yeah well if they don't that's their problem. If you got it flaunt it.

JayDaDon
Honestly if it was put into the story well and it worked, I think the general public would eat up huge power feats from guys like Thor, hulk or superman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.