Who else could play Tony Stark/Iron Man?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Golgo13
If Robert Downey Jr. doesn't return. He says he wants to do other roles, but I think he'll return. If he doesn't, who could play him in Hollywood?

http://www.newsarama.com/film/iron-man-3-robert-downey-jr.html

roughrider
They will have to make this decision one day, because this franchise has real legs and is very original - synthesizing the superhero movie with the James Bond formula, with a hint of Tom Clancy.

Who's a young up and comer right now, with the same kind of charisma? Hmmm...

You know, when they were casting for the first movie, I really thought they would look at Colin Farrell. He's still only in his mid 30's, and has no franchise of his own...

Golgo13
I don't care too much for Colin. How about Tom Hardy?

xJLxKing
Sam Rockwell, that guy convinced me in IM2 that he can do it similarly

roughrider
Originally posted by Golgo13
I don't care too much for Colin. How about Tom Hardy?

Too rough around the edges. Stark is a womanizing playboy.

Golgo13
If Tom Cruis was young enough, could he play it?

JayDaDon
I hated the Idea of Cruise playing Stark when he was rumored

JayDaDon
Lol for some reason I just thought Leo Dicaprio with his hair dyed black would be suuuuuuuuch an interesting choice.

BruceSkywalker
simple and only answer.. NO ONE CAN PLAY TONY STARK/IRON MAN the way that Robert Downey, jr has

JayDaDon
I think that's true. I don't think they would even be able to go the over the top, witty, mouthy stark route after RDJ because he owns that interpretation hands down. I think they need to go like the charming man of mystery type route if they started a new franchise of movies. Something like the Great Gatsby with armor, something with a little bit more of a serious tone.

Bentley
Hardy can do whatever he wants, he would be a good choice.

JayDaDon
Such an odd choice. Havent really seen anything from him that suits Stark.

roughrider
If Tom Cruis was young enough, could he play it?

Of course; he was even attached to the project around 2000. But he's 50 years old now, it's water under the bridge. Who is the best guy to take over in a few years time, that is the question.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Bentley
Hardy can do whatever he wants, he would be a good choice.

love tom hardy, if he were to take over, i'd watch

Badabing
If Robert Downey Jr. doesn't return. He says he wants to do other roles, but I think he'll return. If he doesn't, who could play him in Hollywood?

http://www.newsarama.com/film/iron-man-3-robert-downey-jr.html Nicholas Cage. sneer

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Badabing
Nicholas Cage. sneer

Yes! Those moments when Tony's a total drunk does Cage look the part.

roughrider
Originally posted by xJLxKing

He's already played Justin Hammer in the Iron Man series.

janus77
Simple really, Rob Lowe.

He's a grown up version of RDJ in real life and his Tony Stark would be quite... unnerving and irritating and realistic.

He'd also be taller than Pepper and more of a convincing "ladies man" than RDJ who comes across as more fame-whore magnet.

If not him, then perhaps Bradley Cooper, though he's a bit too ... well, he looks slightly like a stoner.

janus77
Originally posted by xJLxKing
God no! He's just a boring actor and aside from playing characters that are in some way or other inadequate, he doesn't really do anything well. His Justin Hammer was one of the many "bum notes" of IM2.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
simple and only answer.. NO ONE CAN PLAY TONY STARK/IRON MAN the way that Robert Downey, jr has

thumb up

He MADE Iron Man the huge hit that it was. And I honestly believe The Avengers needs to credit much of it's success to him too.

But then I suppose you could see it as all the success really being down to Marvel studios casting the right guy (I initially thought he was an odd choice). As well as doing a Fab job in picking the right Directors - Joss Whedon.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
thumb up

He MADE Iron Man the huge hit that it was. And I honestly believe The Avengers needs to credit much of it's success to him too.

But then I suppose you could see it as all the success really being down to Marvel studios casting the right guy (I initially thought he was an odd choice). As well as doing a Fab job in picking the right Directors - Joss Whedon.

Yea true, but Marvel needs to bring him back

JayDaDon
Originally posted by janus77
God no! He's just a boring actor and aside from playing characters that are in some way or other inadequate, he doesn't really do anything well. His Justin Hammer was one of the many "bum notes" of IM2.

Watching Rockwell in IM2 it looked like he was doing his best Gary Oldman impression the whole movie.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by JayDaDon
Watching Rockwell in IM2 it looked like he was doing his best Gary Oldman impression the whole movie. Yah, like a bad, trying to hard to be funny but failing version.

Scythe

http://www.newsarama.com/film/iron-man-3-robert-downey-jr.html

Tommy Wiseau

"Oh Hai, Thor."

TheHulk
Marvel Studios would be fools not to extend Robet Downey Jr contract...

CPT Space Bomb
Yah, there have been multiple comics done with Tony Stark that show him being older. Since he wears a suit that can give him "artificial abilities", it doesn't really hurt to have him age. You wouldn't want him being like 70 or anything, but.....yah.

Bentley
Watching Rockwell in IM2 it looked like he was doing his best Gary Oldman impression the whole movie.

He definitively had a Gary Oldman vibe on him.

the ninjak
I can't think of anyone who can do the job as inspirationally as Robert Downey Jr.

I read Ironman's first issues as early as 4 yrs old. I used to pretend I was Tony making his first armor and escaping the bunker he was imprisoned in as a kid. And when I heard RDJ took the mantle. It just felt right.

The first Ironman film wasn't perfect but he nailed it as Tony Stark.

RDJ will go down in history as the Sean Connery of Ironmans.

He will always be the best. Whilst others attempt to make the role their own.

It doesn't surprise me that IM3 took such a Bond style execution in its storytelling.

janus77
There could be several actors, with different takes.

For a close to faithful resetting of Iron Man, you could have Josh Hartnett play him in the style of a young Tommy Lee Jones... Debonair billionaire industrialist, hard driving, hard drinking ... quick witted but burning up inside with some demon or other.

For a continuation of the current style, but with a grittier feel, Rob Lowe would be perfect for the role.

the ninjak
Originally posted by janus77
There could be several actors, with different takes.

For a close to faithful resetting of Iron Man, you could have Josh Hartnett play him in the style of a young Tommy Lee Jones... Debonair billionaire industrialist, hard driving, hard drinking ... quick witted but burning up inside with some demon or other.

For a continuation of the current style, but with a grittier feel, Rob Lowe would be perfect for the role.

Rob Lowe is one year younger than RDJ. And is a great choice for a successor.
The writers will definitely need to go with the Demon in a Bottle saga style of writing to make the new role its own.
The films flirt with the idea, but never push the fact that Tony is an alcoholic.

JayDaDon
I could actually see Lowe as Stark, but to market the next Iron man movie starring Rob Lowe would be a risk. Then again, doing it with RDJ at first was a hell of a risk too.

the ninjak
I could actually see Lowe as Stark, but to market the next Iron man movie starring Rob Lowe would be a risk. Then again, doing it with RDJ at first was a hell of a risk too.

Doing the first film with RDJ was genius.
He applied for the role and he was perfect.

Christ they wanted Tom Cruise originally. And he turned the role down because they didn't show his face enough because of the mask!
What an *******.
Can you imagine Cruise being Ironman?

Scientoligists dream. And our nightmare.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by the ninjak

The first Ironman film wasn't perfect

mad

Yes it was!

the ninjak
mad

Yes it was!

The last half hour was average.
The rest was incredible.
The casting was out of this world.

DARTH POWER
Well I don't remember a movie that was perfect from beginning to end.

But that final scene was Awesome. "I AM IRON MAN"

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by TheHulk
Marvel Studios would be fools not to extend Robet Downey Jr contract...

agreed

the ninjak
Well I don't remember a movie that was perfect from beginning to end.

But that final scene was Awesome. "I AM IRON MAN"

Amen.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.