Malgus vs Galen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ascendancy
Both at peak. Setting: Dromund Kass

Galen has been sent back in time to kill Malgus and stop Skynet from becoming self-aware.

Having re-watched a little Galen footage thanks to another thread I thought this would make an interesting match up in terms of raw power.

Force
Sabers
All out

The Merchant
Wouldn't Malgus's peak be when he became one with the force?

Intrepid37
Force: Marek
Sabers: Malgus
All out: Split 5/5

Nephthys
I don't really see anything that makes me think Malgus is a superior saberist than Vader. And Galen beat the latter.

Intrepid37
Per novel he beat Vader because he knew his fighting style. Besides, he got spanked by Shaak Ti.

Nephthys
Which is notable because Vader has a unique fighting style. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Malgus isn't just using bogstandard Djem So, which Galen is welll versed in.

Er, no. He beat Shaak Ti. They were even up until she decided to suicide by putting everything into speed and offense and basically threw herself onto his lightsaber. And he still managed to block two of her attacks with his lightsaber and the last one with the Force. He beat her, fair and square.

Intrepid37
Originally posted by Nephthys
Which is notable because Vader has a unique fighting style. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Malgus isn't just using bogstandard Djem So, which Galen is welll versed in.
It clearly indicates he was able to do as well as he did because of that knowledge.

Er, no. He beat Shaak Ti. They were even up until she decided to suicide by putting everything into speed and offense and basically threw herself onto his lightsaber. And he still managed to block two of her attacks with his lightsaber and the last one with the Force. He beat her, fair and square.

no expression

The apprentice simultaneously backflipped and blocked her opening blow. The force of it surprised him, and the recoil threw him backward. His hood caught on one of the sarlacc's teeth, and he tore it impatiently away before the snag could interfere with his defense. Shaak Ti's lightsaber was a jagged blue blur between them. He blocked her as best he could until he had his balance again.

Then he jumped. Over her he spun and fell down two layers of teeth toward the mouth of the sarlacc. From there he jumped up again, angling away from her to avoid giving the Jedi the advantage of height, but she was there ahead of him, driving him back down with a series of blows so rapid he barely caught them all.

On her last three words, she struck three blows that each partially found their mark. The first burned a sizzling line down the apprentice's left shoulder. The second scored diagonally across his chest. The third would have skewered his right eye had he not held her back at the last minute with a desperate telekinetic block that stopped her lightsaber barely a millimeter from his skin. He could feel his eyelashes and eyebrows burning. The right side of his sight was entirely blue.

She gasped and staggered backward. Her lightsaber and her gaze dropped. A full half meter of red blade emerged from her stomach, then the rest came free with a hiss.

He backed away, shocked by how close he had come to death and how lucky he had been to defeat her. He had raised his lightsaber by reflex. She had, in the desperation of her final assault, practically thrown herself on the blade. Perhaps she had meant for the two of them to defeat each other at the same time.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Intrepid37
It clearly indicates he was able to do as well as he did because of that knowledge.

If you're talking about this:

'The apprentice knew exactly what to expect. They had dueled many times before. He had learned how to fight at the hands of the man in the black suit-the man whose face had been forever hidden from him. He knew the intimacies of his refined version of Djem So, a fighting style that incorporated elements of Ataru, Soresu, and Makashi. He had fended off many wild, slashing attacks that would have overwhelmed even an extraordinary Jedi Knight. He had borne the brunt of many psychological battles.'

Then that does not indicate that Galen was only able to do as well as he did because he knew Vaders style, just that he knew it. Especially since immediately after that Vader reveals that he'd always held back against him. Besides which, Malgus also uses Djem So, so Galen obviously knows a good deal about Malgus' style too.

no expression

The apprentice simultaneously backflipped and blocked her opening blow. The force of it surprised him, and the recoil threw him backward. His hood caught on one of the sarlacc's teeth, and he tore it impatiently away before the snag could interfere with his defense. Shaak Ti's lightsaber was a jagged blue blur between them. He blocked her as best he could until he had his balance again.

Then he jumped. Over her he spun and fell down two layers of teeth toward the mouth of the sarlacc. From there he jumped up again, angling away from her to avoid giving the Jedi the advantage of height, but she was there ahead of him, driving him back down with a series of blows so rapid he barely caught them all.

On her last three words, she struck three blows that each partially found their mark. The first burned a sizzling line down the apprentice's left shoulder. The second scored diagonally across his chest. The third would have skewered his right eye had he not held her back at the last minute with a desperate telekinetic block that stopped her lightsaber barely a millimeter from his skin. He could feel his eyelashes and eyebrows burning. The right side of his sight was entirely blue.

She gasped and staggered backward. Her lightsaber and her gaze dropped. A full half meter of red blade emerged from her stomach, then the rest came free with a hiss.

He backed away, shocked by how close he had come to death and how lucky he had been to defeat her. He had raised his lightsaber by reflex. She had, in the desperation of her final assault, practically thrown herself on the blade. Perhaps she had meant for the two of them to defeat each other at the same time.

Ok, so I was wrong about him blocking the first two, but they were still even enough that she had to suicide in a desperate effort to kill him. Those moments you show of Starkiller "being on the backfoot" ignore that they continue to duel for a good length of time afterwards and that she clearly could not overcome or beat him, requiring her to go to such desperate lengths just to try to force a draw. Which he still overcame. She didn't 'spank' him, she lost. erm

Besides which, this was at the start of the book, and Galen clearly progresses in strength throughout.

Intrepid37
If you're talking about this:

'The apprentice knew exactly what to expect. They had dueled many times before. He had learned how to fight at the hands of the man in the black suit-the man whose face had been forever hidden from him. He knew the intimacies of his refined version of Djem So, a fighting style that incorporated elements of Ataru, Soresu, and Makashi. He had fended off many wild, slashing attacks that would have overwhelmed even an extraordinary Jedi Knight. He had borne the brunt of many psychological battles.'

Then that does not indicate that Galen was only able to do as well as he did because he knew Vaders style, just that he knew it.
It clearly gave him an advantage he wouldn't have against other foes.

Especially since immediately after that Vader reveals that he'd always held back against him.
...so why are you saying that Marek beat Vader as proof of him being superior to Malgus?

Besides which, Malgus also uses Djem So, so Galen obviously knows a good deal about Malgus' style too.
Fair enough, but if the ''force of her blows surprised him'' then I wouldn't want to see what would happen when facing Malgus who relies almost only on strength.

Those moments you show of Starkiller "being on the backfoot" ignore that they continue to duel for a good length of time afterwards and that she clearly could not overcome or beat him, requiring her to go to such desperate lengths just to try to force a draw.
In fact, the text I ignored shows Marek as ''desperate''. I ignored it because I wanted to focus on the strict duel.

In desperation, he summoned a bolt of Sith lightning and sent it down, into the flesh of the sarlacc. The beast roared and shook, giving him the opening he needed. Shaak Ti's right foot slipped, forcing her to flip elegantly out of reach of his blade. He leapt after her, swinging as he came.

The fight progressed around the sarlacc's center rings, blow and counterblow accompanied by the roaring of the beast. The apprentice cut off teeth and threw the fragments at his adversary's head. In return she took tighter control of the beast's distributed intelligence and sent its food-seeking tentacles flailing for him. He repulsed them and fought on.

Down they drove each other, closer and closer to the very lip of the creature's enormous mouth. The air was foul down there, heavy with digestive by-products and the stink of rotting meat. Ghastly exhalations rolled over them as the sarlacc roared on. The apprentice was running out of teeth to sever, so he resorted more and more frequently to Sith lightning and random slashes of his lightsaber to keep it twitching underfoot. Thick ichor leaking out of the wounds made the footing even more treacherous.

Which he still overcame. She didn't 'spank' him, she lost. erm
In a strict duel I suppose you're not allowed to use the force except for augmenting physical attributes. For the duel,he was driven backwards, was desperate for the use of lightning and would've had his eye impaled had it not been for him stopping the blade, which isn't allowed in a strict duel.

Besides which, this was at the start of the book, and Galen clearly progresses in strength throughout.
As a duelist? Doubt it.

Nephthys
It clearly gave him an advantage he wouldn't have against other foes.

Why wouldn't he have it against Malgus since he is also a Djem So duelist? And no it didn't. It only indicated that he was familiar with Vader's style. Nothing more. If anything since he can recognise the elements of the other forms in Vaders style I think it would indicate that he is quite knowledgable about lightsaber forms.

...so why are you saying that Marek beat Vader as proof of him being superior to Malgus?

....... because he wasn't holding back in the final duel. Dur.

Fair enough, but if the ''force of her blows surprised him'' then I wouldn't want to see what would happen when facing Malgus who relies almost only on strength.

That indicates only that Shaak Ti is stong, not that Starkiller is weak. We know that's not the case since he can swing AT-ST legs around like baseball bats and throw TIE fighters with his bare hands.

In fact, the text I ignored shows Marek as ''desperate''. I ignored it because I wanted to focus on the strict duel.

In desperation, he summoned a bolt of Sith lightning and sent it down, into the flesh of the sarlacc. The beast roared and shook, giving him the opening he needed. Shaak Ti's right foot slipped, forcing her to flip elegantly out of reach of his blade. He leapt after her, swinging as he came.

The fight progressed around the sarlacc's center rings, blow and counterblow accompanied by the roaring of the beast. The apprentice cut off teeth and threw the fragments at his adversary's head. In return she took tighter control of the beast's distributed intelligence and sent its food-seeking tentacles flailing for him. He repulsed them and fought on.

Down they drove each other, closer and closer to the very lip of the creature's enormous mouth. The air was foul down there, heavy with digestive by-products and the stink of rotting meat. Ghastly exhalations rolled over them as the sarlacc roared on. The apprentice was running out of teeth to sever, so he resorted more and more frequently to Sith lightning and random slashes of his lightsaber to keep it twitching underfoot. Thick ichor leaking out of the wounds made the footing even more treacherous.

Indeed, he was so desperate that he was able to evenly duel her to such an extent that she threw herself onto his blade in.... desperation. Wait what?

In a strict duel I suppose you're not allowed to use the force except for augmenting physical attributes. For the duel,he was driven backwards, was desperate for the use of lightning and would've had his eye impaled had it not been for him stopping the blade, which isn't allowed in a strict duel.

The text notes they 'drove each other', so clearly it wasn't Shaak Ti constantly driving her back. And he was only nearly impaled when Skaak Ti, again, abandoned defense. So maybe Malgus will be able to do the same if he's willing to die just like her.

Oh and it isn't allowed? Since when? I don't recall you being master of the rules.

As a duelist? Doubt it.

Why wouldn't he considering how many duels he gets up to and that he's running around with a training droid? Considering that he's clearly progressed from the point that Vader feels comfortable holding back against him to the point where Galen beats him, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility altogether.

Either way, Galens defeat of Vader and the description of his skills are all I need to show that he's superior to Malgus. Your point about how he struggled against Shaak Ti is irrelevent, since it assumes that Malgus is her superior, when that could easily not be the case.

axel_jovan
I agree completely with Neph.

Marek's Force showings are MUCH better than Malgus'.
In sabers Marek is no Yoda or Sidious, but neither is Malgus. If there is a difference between them, it's negligible.

All-out: Marek takes 8/10.

Intrepid37
Why wouldn't he have it against Malgus since he is also a Djem So duelist? And no it didn't. It only indicated that he was familiar with Vader's style. Nothing more. If anything since he can recognise the elements of the other forms in Vaders style I think it would indicate that he is quite knowledgable about lightsaber forms.
As noted by the text you provided, Vader uses a mix of Djem So, Makashi, Ataru and Soresu. Any other foe wouldn't know that. It's quite clear that he'd get an advantage others wouldn't have.

....... because he wasn't holding back in the final duel. Dur.

Vader was still testing him; he sensed that more and more keenly, with every passing moment, but to what purpose he still couldn't tell. Vader himself fought more cautiously than he had on the Death Star, the last time they had dueled in earnest. His armor seemed to have improved, too; it was less vulnerable to lightning than it had been just days before.

....... That indicates only that Shaak Ti is stong, not that Starkiller is weak. We know that's not the case since he can swing AT-ST legs around like baseball bats and throw TIE fighters with his bare hands.
Point is, Malgus is almost surely stronger than Shaak Ti.

....... Indeed, he was so desperate that he was able to evenly duel her to such an extent that she threw herself onto his blade in.... desperation. Wait what?
Marek himself notes how locky he was to survive.

....... The text notes they 'drove each other', so clearly it wasn't Shaak Ti constantly driving her back. And he was only nearly impaled when Skaak Ti, again, abandoned defense. So maybe Malgus will be able to do the same if he's willing to die just like her.

Oh and it isn't allowed? Since when? I don't recall you being master of the rules.
I assumed that because fights are cut up in ''Force, Sabers and All-out'' that the characters are restriced to pure dueling in the ''Sabers'' category.

....... Why wouldn't he considering how many duels he gets up to and that he's running around with a training droid? Considering that he's clearly progressed from the point that Vader feels comfortable holding back against him to the point where Galen beats him, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility altogether.
Possibly but that's speculation.

....... Either way, Galens defeat of Vader and the description of his skills are all I need to show that he's superior to Malgus. Your point about how he struggled against Shaak Ti is irrelevent, since it assumes that Malgus is her superior, when that could easily not be the case.
Malgus slew Zallow who slew three Sith in five seconds. As a Padawan, he slew Kao, has good strength feats and good speed. What has Shaak Ti done in comparison?

Nephthys
As noted by the text you provided, Vader uses a mix of Djem So, Makashi, Ataru and Soresu. Any other foe wouldn't know that. It's quite clear that he'd get an advantage others wouldn't have.

Which is exactly why knowing Vaders unique style is notable for that duel. It doesn't give him an advantage, merely nullifies the potential advantage of Vader's unorthodox style.

So..... why is that relevent to Malgus? Malgus doesn't have a unique style. The 'advantage' you're talking about is one that's only relevant against Vader.

Vader was still testing him; he sensed that more and more keenly, with every passing moment, but to what purpose he still couldn't tell. Vader himself fought more cautiously than he had on the Death Star, the last time they had dueled in earnest. His armor seemed to have improved, too; it was less vulnerable to lightning than it had been just days before.

I meant the final battle in TFU I. Vader wasn't holding back in that fight and Galen beat him.

Point is, Malgus is almost surely stronger than Shaak Ti.

Why? Because he has balls?

Marek himself notes how locky he was to survive.

So again, maybe if Malgus kamikaze's Galen won't be so lucky.

I assumed that because fights are cut up in ''Force, Sabers and All-out'' that the characters are restriced to pure dueling in the ''Sabers'' category.

Maybe. Maybe not. If they can amp themselves with the Force, why not be able to defend themselves with it too?

Possibly but that's speculation.

It's logic backed up with evidence.

Malgus slew Zallow who slew three Sith in five seconds. As a Padawan, he slew Kao, has good strength feats and good speed. What has Shaak Ti done in comparison?

Almost killed Galen Marek. wink

My point was that you were assuming something you didn't know, nor had been established. Shaak Ti by TFU was clearly more powerful than she had been in the CW, able to affect an entire planet with the Force and duel evenly with Marek. Given that she surprised a man who can throw TIE fighters around with her strength and almost kill the man who would go on to beat Darth 'badass' Vader, I wouldn't make that assumption.

Malgus beat Zallow who beat 3 nameless Sith mooks and Kao, who is impressive and looks good in a fight but since we only see him in a fight with Malgus thats kind of pointless (Malgus is impressive because he beat Kao who is impressive because he was impressive against Malgus).

Intrepid37
Which is exactly why knowing Vaders unique style is notable for that duel. It doesn't give him an advantage, merely nullifies the potential advantage of Vader's unorthodox style.

So..... why is that relevent to Malgus? Malgus doesn't have a unique style. The 'advantage' you're talking about is one that's only relevant against Vader.
You brought up Marek's duel with Vader as a proof that Marek>Malgus in sabers when in fact he had a certain advantage that Malgus wouldn't have. So I don't see why his fights with Vader are valid here.

I meant the final battle in TFU I. Vader wasn't holding back in that fight and Galen beat him.
The text you provided about Marek knowing Vader's style is right before their final battle in TFU I. It's an unfair comparison to make as Malgus wouldn't have that same edge.

Why? Because he has balls?
Kao was slain through strength. Watch the trailer. Furthermore, I recall he's broken ribs and had his opponents arms shaken and whatever.

Also, he's bald. His secret ways to winning is headbutting.

So again, maybe if Malgus kamikaze's Galen won't be so lucky.
What do you mean?

Maybe. Maybe not. If they can amp themselves with the Force, why not be able to defend themselves with it too?
That would make anything but All-out fights pointless. That's like saying saber-throw can be used in a force-only fight.

It's logic backed up with evidence.
I can just as easily assume Shaak Ti decreased in saber-skills.

Almost killed Galen Marek. wink
roll eyes (sarcastic)

My point was that you were assuming something you didn't know, nor had been established. Shaak Ti by TFU was clearly more powerful than she had been in the CW, able to affect an entire planet with the Force and duel evenly with Marek. Given that she surprised a man who can throw TIE fighters around with her strength and almost kill the man who would go on to beat Darth 'badass' Vader, I wouldn't make that assumption.
Agreed that she's improved in the force. But in her saber skills? Nothing indicates that as far as I'm aware.

Malgus beat Zallow who beat 3 nameless Sith mooks and Kao, who is impressive and looks good in a fight but since we only see him in a fight with Malgus thats kind of pointless (Malgus is impressive because he beat Kao who is impressive because he was impressive against Malgus).
Agreed with most of this. Kao, though, is somewhere noted to be the Battlemaster, could reflect lightning with his saber, displayed saber-throw, used a double-bladed lightsaber at the same with he used a normal lightsaber.

I think that's above Shaak Ti personally.

Ascendancy
Sabers implies true sabers only. The combatants may be amped as much as possible, but assume that other uses of the Force are out the window and that the two are engaging each other to prove who is the superior duelist.

Nephthys
You brought up Marek's duel with Vader as a proof that Marek>Malgus in sabers when in fact he had a certain advantage that Malgus wouldn't have. So I don't see why his fights with Vader are valid here.

Which is only relevent if Malgus is fighting Vader. I'm only comparing Malgus to Vader, not saying that Vader could beat him, although he likely could. As a duelist I see Vader as superior to Malgus, hence why Galen beating him is evidence for me that he could beat Malgus.

The text you provided about Marek knowing Vader's style is right before their final battle in TFU I. It's an unfair comparison to make as Malgus wouldn't have that same edge.

See above.

Kao was slain through strength. Watch the trailer. Furthermore, I recall he's broken ribs and had his opponents arms shaken and whatever.

Also, he's bald. His secret ways to winning is headbutting.

Which only proves that he's stronger than Kao, not Shaak Ti. Given that she can push back Marek, I'd say that would be a mistaken assumption.

What do you mean?

You're using Shaak Ti nearly beating Marek as proof that he's not all that in lightsaber combat. However she was only able to do that by kamikaze'ing. Were Malgus to imploy such a tactic, he may be able to do better.

That would make anything but All-out fights pointless. That's like saying saber-throw can be used in a force-only fight.

Well it is a Force attack. It's simply an extension of telekinesis using a lightsaber as a thrown object.

I can just as easily assume Shaak Ti decreased in saber-skills.

Do you have anything to back that up?

Agreed that she's improved in the force. But in her saber skills? Nothing indicates that as far as I'm aware.

As I recall she was termed as one of the best bladesbeasts in the Jedi Orders history, able to take on a good 20-30 magnaguards at once and dispatch several before they retreated.

Agreed with most of this. Kao, though, is somewhere noted to be the Battlemaster, could reflect lightning with his saber, displayed saber-throw, used a double-bladed lightsaber at the same with he used a normal lightsaber.

I think that's above Shaak Ti personally.

Nah, in contrast Shaak Ti was termed as one of the greatest bladesbeats the order had ever produced, was known to be versed in all the forms, was able to replicate Kao's feat by fighting with a lightsaber and an electrostaff at the same time and could block lightsaber and electrostaff blows with the Force/her hands.

Intrepid37

axel_jovan
@ Intrepid37, are you arguing that Malgus takes sabers, or that he takes sabers and all-out too?

Intrepid37
Originally posted by axel_jovan
@ Intrepid37, are you arguing that Malgus takes sabers, or that he takes sabers and all-out too?
Malgus should take sabers, all out should be a split 50/50.

axel_jovan

Intrepid37
Fair enough.

You don't need to provide more of his feats. I know what he's capable of.

However, looking at past history, it is more likely for a fight to be decided by combat than in a force contest imo, so that's why I see it as a even fight.

Intrepid37
Per my above post, I didn't intend to refer to previous fights but more to Kas'ims statement in PoD.

Ascendancy
In regards to that, when Bane fought Kas'im he said that he realized instantly that not only had the Twi'lek always held back as he suspected, but that he was a far, far more capable duelist than he had thought. Despite this, Bane was his clear superior until he went to dual sabers.

I would assume that Galen's realization against Vader was similar, and that his victory did not come from his foreknowledge of his style, but from his own capabilities.

Arhael
Originally posted by Ascendancy
In regards to that, when Bane fought Kas'im he said that he realized instantly that not only had the Twi'lek always held back as he suspected, but that he was a far, far more capable duelist than he had thought. Despite this, Bane was his clear superior until he went to dual sabers.

That's common glorifying plot device of Karpyshyn.
Revan to Meetra:
"I always knew you had great potential, but you have become far greater than I could ever have imagined."

And he said that after she got casually handled by infinitely Nyriss despite help from Scourge. laughing

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Arhael
That's common glorifying plot device of Karpyshyn.
Revan to Meetra:
"I always knew you had great potential, but you have become far greater than I could ever have imagined."

And he said that after she got casually handled by infinitely Nyriss despite help from Scourge. laughing

There's a difference: Bane and Marek were the apprentices realizing that they had never been shown their Master's powers.

That said, it doesn't change the situation at all so I'm not really sure what your point was supposed to be.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.