The Mandarin vs. Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Silent Hero
*IM3 spoilers*

By Mandarin I mean Aldrich Killian, of course. He was pretty badass.

He fights Thor, hammer and all. Who wins?

Estacado
Aldrich was lame Thor punches his face in......

juggerman
Originally posted by The Silent Hero
*IM3 spoilers*

By Mandarin I mean Aldrich Killian, of course. He was pretty badass.

He fights Thor, hammer and all. Who wins?

Thor > Pepper Potts > Gay Mandarin

The Silent Hero
He breathes fire, cut Iron Man's in half with one swipe, and tanked explosions on every inch of his body.

He could match Thor. Or at least Thor will have to work for it.

edit: regenerative limbs too.

Silent Master
Was the suit he cut the same one Tony used to fight Thor?

the ninjak
Originally posted by Silent Master
Was the suit he cut the same one Tony used to fight Thor?

Tony used many suits to fight Killian. And all were more advanced armors than the Avengers version.

Killian can create heat of 1670 degrees Celsius. And swipe armors like a hot knife through butter.

Thor has better feats. And he could've killed Stark quickly if he wanted to.

Thor will crush Killian after a battle.

Silent Master
Isn't lightning supposed to be around 29,982 Celsius?

the ninjak
Isn't lightning supposed to be around 29,982 Celsius?

Woops got my math wrong. 2726.85 degrees is what they can acheive apparently.

IMDB quote-
Apart from being able to regenerate limbs and heal wounds, these soldiers are capable of generating massive amounts of concentrated heat inside their bodies up to 3000 Kelvin. The Iron Man suit is supposedly made of titanium alloy which has a melting point at 1670 degrees Celsius (which is 1943.15 kelvin), so it is perfectly possible for it to rip through the suit. In essence, Iron Man has met his Kryptonite in his latest enemies. Only metals like Tungsten, Osmium and Rhenium can withstand heat as high as that said to be given off by Extremis soldiers.

And Thor was obviously holding back in his fight against Stark in their battle.

Supra
"You want me to drop the hammer?"

BruceSkywalker
Thor after a nice fight.. Killian can't handle the Jotunheim maneuver.. and doubtful he can withstand the lightning let alone being hit upside the head with Mjolnir

Darth Martin
Thor.

The Mark 42 wasn't impressive at all. Not trolling, business as usual Iron Man(see Avengers) would have made short work of Killian.

This Iron Man I speak of couldn't even make Thor sweat whild powered up at four times his peak normal power.

steverules_2
You're all saying Thor held back in his fight with Tony, ok so if Thor can easily kill Tony why didn't he just knock him out? Surely that would be something simple for him, I've no doubt he probably was holding back but still...if he's strong enough to kill someone he's strong enough to easily knock them out

Tzeentch._
Because it would have been a less interesting fight if that had happened.

KingD19
The thing people seem to be forgetting is that the Mk 42 armor was one of the many made by Tony just to make it. It was part of his insomnia and nearly none of them were as well put together as his older models. It's why War Machine fared so much better. Didn't Jarvis even say 42 was barely combat ready?

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Because it would have been a less interesting fight if that had happened. This.

It's the standard 'and now two of the heroes have a fight where neither gains a clear advantage so that the fans are pleased and no one whines' thing almost all movies and comics do. Comics are ****ing terrible for this, actually.

Everything we needed to know about Thor v.s. Iron Man was established the moment Tony headbutted Thor with little effect, and then Thor headbutted him back and left a dent in the IM armour, sending Tony reeling, IIRC while Tony was at 400% power.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by KingD19
The thing people seem to be forgetting is that the Mk 42 armor was one of the many made by Tony just to make it. It was part of his insomnia and nearly none of them were as well put together as his older models. It's why War Machine fared so much better. Didn't Jarvis even say 42 was barely combat ready?

yes jarvis said that

roughrider
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Thor after a nice fight.. Killian can't handle the Jotunheim maneuver.. and doubtful he can withstand the lightning let alone being hit upside the head with Mjolnir

Pretty much this. Thor will take it easy early on, giving Killian a chance to surrender. He will get surprised by his speed and the heat he generates will irritate him. But once Thor gets angry, it's over. A dozen blows from mjolnir and Killian is splattered everywhere, if he's really mad. Try regenerating from that. If he's feeling merciful, a whole lot of lighting strikes for a cleaner kill.

KingD19
I still wonder about the 400% Iron Man. Did that mean he could operate the suits weapons and powers longer before running out of power? Say 100% means 10 minutes of gung ho while 400% means 40 minutes or more? Or everything had more "oomph" because he had more power or both?

roughrider
I still wonder about the 400% Iron Man. Did that mean he could operate the suits weapons and powers longer before running out of power, or everything had more "oomph" because he had more power or both?

I wondered if the piecemeal suit in parts had a different power source that the arc reactor. It was an experimental version that had trouble flying at first. Was he trying to edge away from using the chest piece?

KingD19
Originally posted by roughrider
I wondered if the piecemeal suit in parts had a different power source that the arc reactor. It was an experimental version that had trouble flying at first. Was he trying to edge away from using the chest piece?

I don't think it was that(but I could be wrong), wasn't he more obsessed with getting the Extremis version of the armor where he could summon it to him?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Estacado
Aldrich was lame Thor punches his face in......

Originally posted by juggerman
Thor > Pepper Potts > Gay Mandarin

Darth Martin

Regardless, it was Tony's armor of choice.

"At last, the prodigal son returns"

His best armor was the Mark VIII he dawned at the end of Avengers.

KingD19
I never said it wasn't. I was just pointing out how easily it was taken down in comparison to War Machine against another Extremis soldier because War Machine was well crafted. While the other armors were hastily and sloppily put together in comparison.

Utrigita
Thor bashes Aldrich skull in, or shoots a lightning bolt through his chest. They didn't seem capable of regenerate from that.

Darth Martin
Thor killed The Destroyer.

This is spite. Maybe not intentionally, but it is.

Newjak
I never said it wasn't. I was just pointing out how easily it was taken down in comparison to War Machine against another Extremis soldier because War Machine was well crafted. While the other armors were hastily and sloppily put together in comparison. I felt how the armor handled Extremis threats was all over the park.

The auto armors were taking one 2-3 Extremis soldiers at a time and judging by the amount of Armor-Self Destruct explosions at the end they fared fairly well. In fact the only armors I recall getting destroyed in that fight were the ones that Killain and Pepper destroyed.

It was also weird that Killian could survive the Mark 42 self destruct but a random IM missile mixed with repulsor blast was enough to destroy him.

Thor still wins. Thor could crush the armor with his bare hands. He also was way more durable than any of the armors he also has more firepower than any of the IM armors and those armors still had enough firepower to take down Extremis enhanced humans.

Mindset
Originally posted by Newjak

It was also weird that Killian could survive the Mark 42 self destruct but a random IM missile mixed with repulsor blast was enough to destroy him.

I assumed it was the accumulative damage he received, not just that.

quanchi112
Thor wins.

FrothByte
IM is reliant on his armor. So Killian damaging his armor makes him vulnerable. Thor on the other hand has no vulnerabilities that Killian can take advantage of. If his heat-hands don't damage Thor (and I since Thor tanked the bifrost explosion I seriously don't think Killians heat can damage Thor) then he really doesn't have anything to take out Thor with.

He can hurt Thor, but I doubt he has anything in his arsenal that can take Thor out.

Mindset
Yea, I'm sure Killian can hurt Thor, maybe even seriously if given then chance, but Thor could easily smash him.

Insomniatric
Killian could hardly handle regular old Tony Stark. Thor went toe-to-toe with the Hulk (albeit a freshly transformed, relatively calm Hulk).

If a good swing of Thor's hammer knocked the Hulk back, it would flatten Killian.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Insomniatric
Killian could hardly handle regular old Tony Stark. Thor went toe-to-toe with the Hulk (albeit a freshly transformed, relatively calm Hulk).

If a good swing of Thor's hammer knocked the Hulk back, it would flatten Killian.

Actually, the Hulk that Thor fought is the one who was mentally influenced by Loki to the point that he couldn't control his transformation and attacked allies. he was in no way "relatively calm".

An example of a relatively calm Hulk would be the one that punched the giant alien a few seconds after choosing to transform.

KingD19
I wouldn't call that relatively calm. As he pointed out he was always angry, and if he'd been "relatively calm" and at that level when he fought Thor, it wouldn't have been a fight. Thor would have been punched clean out of the Hellicarrier.

Silent Master
I wouldn't call that relatively calm. As he pointed out he was always angry, and if he'd been "relatively calm" and at that level when he fought Thor, it wouldn't have been a fight. Thor would have been punched clean out of the Hellicarrier.

He was angrier during the Thor fight, hence not being able to control the transformation and attacking allies.

Insomniatric
He was angrier during the Thor fight, hence not being able to control the transformation and attacking allies.

That's true, but he seemed to be much more powerful in the New York scene. He sent Thor flying with a weak punch that had almost no effort behind it.

Silent Master
That's true, but he seemed to be much more powerful in the New York scene. He sent Thor flying with a weak punch that had almost no effort behind it.

Using that logic, Thor magically got more durable during that fight, seeing as that punch didn't seem to hurt him, whereas a punch during their earlier fight caused him to bleed a little.

Insomniatric
Using that logic, Thor magically got more durable during that fight, seeing as that punch didn't seem to hurt him, whereas a punch during their earlier fight caused him to bleed a little.

Hulk put almost no effort behind it and ragdolled Thor.

How would Thor have handled getting hit like this?

msRaooooyds

Hulk was certainly weaker on the helicarrier than he was in New York. On the ship, shots from a chopper (iirc) were causing him to flinch and shield himself, while Loki's army couldn't put a scratch on him, even with the superior firepower that they had.

Silent Master
Seeing as Thor took punches from an angrier Hulk, I'd say that he'd handle it fine....unless you're going to try and argue that getting angrier makes the Hulk weaker.

Insomniatric
Seeing as Thor took punches from an angrier Hulk, I'd say that he'd handle it fine....unless you're going to try and argue that getting angrier makes the Hulk weaker.

No, I'm just saying that the Hulk was more powerful when Banner willingly transformed. I'm sure the film makers did that intentionally, to make him more badass. No point in making him weaker as the movie progresses, especially at the climactic end-battle.

That little punch sent Thor reeling. If that little effort from the Hulk was able to knock him off of his feet, how would he handle a real punch? As KingD19 said, a leviathan level punch (that had Hulk's weight behind it) would have knocked him out of the helicarrier.

Not trying to start a serious argument over this btw, just saying.

Silent Master
So, your basic argument is that getting angrier makes the Hulk weaker.

Insomniatric
So, your basic argument is that getting angrier makes the Hulk weaker.

No, it's that the film makers intentionally made him more powerful for the final battle in the movie. That is to be expected.

Silent Master
However, since he was less angry during that scene, it means that you're basically arguing that getting angrier makes the Hulk weaker.

Supra
Thor kill Mandarin same way he kills the destroyer, blows his freaking head off.
Thor> Destroyer >Mandarin

Thunder God wins no Contest.

Mindset
That's true, but he seemed to be much more powerful in the New York scene. He sent Thor flying with a weak punch that had almost no effort behind it. Thor probably weighs around 300 lbs, ofc Hulk was able to send him flying while Thor wasn't bracing himself.

Supra
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Thor killed The Destroyer.

This is spite. Maybe not intentionally, but it is.

Been thinking the same thing the whole thread. Its like doing a Superman vs. Captain America thread.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Mindset
Thor probably weighs around 300 lbs, ofc Hulk was able to send him flying while Thor wasn't bracing himself.

True, but I was having so much fun getting him to seriously argue that getting mad actually made the Hulk weaker.

It was like watching quan try and argue that 25 billion is more than 27 billion.

Supra

It was like watching quan try and argue that 25 billion is more than 27 billion.

Has this really happened? lmo

Silent Master
Originally posted by Supra
Has this really happened? lmo

Yes, in the "Which movie franchise is at the top of the mountain" thread....the Harry Potter franchise is worth 25 billion, while the Star Wars one is worth 27 billion, yet he continues to claim that HP wins.

That doesn't even take into account that he's counting the HP books as part of the movie franchise, despite the fact that the books predate the movies.

Supra
Yes, in the "Which movie franchise is at the top of the mountain" thread....the Harry Potter franchise is worth 25 billion, while the Star Wars one is worth 27 billion, yet he continues to claim that HP wins.

That doesn't even take into account that he's counting the HP books as part of the movie franchise, despite the fact that the books predate the movies.

Thats funny, hey I tried copy and pasting your link in you sig to read the thread but it does not work...

Silent Master
The thread has probably been pruned by now, it's been several years.

Supra
What happened?

Silent Master
A Superman fanboy that fancies himself a writer(went by the screen name RC) did a phone interview with Dan Jurgens and then posted several parts of it online.

Only he forgot to mention that when he asked Dan if Supeman was millions of stronger than Thor, that Dan thought it was a joke and started laughing before he answered the question.

Supra
A Superman fanboy that fancies himself a writer(went by the screen name RC) did a phone interview with Dan Jurgens and then posted several parts of it online.

Only he forgot to mention that when he asked Dan if Supeman was millions of stronger than Thor, that Dan thought it was a joke and started laughing before he answered the question.

I guess it caused quiet a commotion around here

Silent Master
A couple of posters kept bringing it up in Thor related threads, it's why I put it in my sig.

I should probably get a new sig since the link doesn't work anymore.

Supra
Who do you favor thor or superman?

Insomniatric
However, since he was less angry during that scene, it means that you're basically arguing that getting angrier makes the Hulk weaker.

And basically you're trying to tell me that the writers intentionally weakened the Hulk for the most important battle in the movie.

And I also think that it's safe to assume that Hulk progressively got angrier as the fight in New York continued, anyhow.

Originally posted by Mindset
Thor probably weighs around 300 lbs, ofc Hulk was able to send him flying while Thor wasn't bracing himself.

Thor not bracing himself definitely plays into it, but you'd think he'd be able to withstand such an effortless and weak punch from the hulk, especially when he didn't have much of a problem taking shots earlier from an apparently "angrier" and more powerful hulk.

Silent Master
No, I'm saying that the Hulk was angrier during the Thor fight, what with him being unable to control his transformation and attacking allies.

Insomniatric
No, I'm saying that the Hulk was angrier during the Thor fight, what with him being unable to control his transformation and attacking allies.

And he was weaker when he literally stopped a leviathan in it's tracks with one punch and then held it in the air?

Silent Master
He wasn't as angry.

The Silent Hero
Why do people keep touting The Destroyer battle as a feat for Thor? It was seriously unimpressive. A couple of ray beams and that's it. Hell Sif put a spear through it which disabled it temporarily.

Iron Man has better feats.

Thor didn't even kill the Destroyer of his own power, he just reflected it's blast back at it.

the ninjak
Originally posted by The Silent Hero
Why do people keep touting The Destroyer battle as a feat for Thor? It was seriously unimpressive. A couple of ray beams and that's it. Hell Sif put a spear through it which disabled it temporarily.

Iron Man has better feats.

Thor didn't even kill the Destroyer of his own power, he just reflected it's blast back at it.

Ironman would not have defeated the Destroyer Armor.

Asgardian weapons have proven to be highly effective. Sif's spear as far as anyone can be concerned simply forced its way through the bands that hold the armor together. Hence it twisting its way around to blast her off its back.

Thor's feat of taking it down was a combination of creating a powerful hurricane that lifted his opponent off the ground to allow him a straight target, and using Mjolnir to absorb the Destroyer's beam as he flew down and released/forced the energy straight back into the armor's visor.

Ironman could not repeat such a feat.

People compare the speed at which Thor took down the Destroyer with the threat the Destroyer itself represented. And that is a mistake.

Thor will defeat the Mandarin without too much trouble.
Whilst flying in the air and focusing concentrated lightning bolts straight through Killian.
A ground pound feat will result in Killian flying into the air which will allow Thor to continue his his assault.

Ironman can't replicate Thor's feats against the Destroyer. And Thor did defeat it with his own power.

juggerman
"Cabin in the Woods" would curb stomp "Memento"

Placidity
And he was weaker when he literally stopped a leviathan in it's tracks with one punch and then held it in the air?

He wasn't as angry.

Lol at this ridiculous back and forth. We go by what we see on screen. Hulk's Leviathan feat > Hulk on Carrier feat. Deal with it.

Silent Master
What makes it better?

juggerman
What makes it better?

Fan votes

Placidity
What makes it better?

Physics.

Silent Master
Originally posted by juggerman
Fan votes

Right, if he's basing it on the fact that the Hulk flipped the Leviathan which weighs more than Thor, then he also has to take into account that the Hulk wasn't sending the smaller aliens flying...which would mean that the Hulk suddenly got massively weaker after that scene. That and Thor and Loki were only using human level strength in their fight, since they didn't send each other flying with every hit.

Same with Iron-man's headbutt, seeing as it didn't even move Thor.

Placidity
Right, if he's basing it on the fact that the Hulk flipped the Leviathan which weighs more than Thor, then he also has to take into account that the Hulk wasn't sending the smaller aliens flying...which would mean that the Hulk suddenly got massively weaker after that scene. That and Thor and Loki were only using human level strength in their fight, since they didn't send each other flying with every hit.

Same with Iron-man's headbutt, seeing as it didn't even move Thor.

Well, we can agree on inconsistency then, something I've been pointing out since the film's release and most people have ignored until it suits their interest.

the ninjak
Hulk was angrier on the Helicarrier due to Loki's mind manipulations....which made every Avenger on board more aggressive.

That's why Hulk tried to kill the Black Widow. He had no control.

Whereas once Banner returned to New York for the invasion he was back to normal. In other words Hulk could now focus because Loki's manipulations had worn off.

Helicarrier- Hulk was nothing more than a raging monster.
New York- Hulk was back in control.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.