Comeback King!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

curryman
Or Queen.

Which hero has come back from the lowest possible point. I'm not talking about who's channeled the power of heart the most mid-fight and beaten a Skyfather with a lighter, but rather what hero has managed to recover from a really, really low point?

I'll start off with Constantine. He recovered from some pretty hard times after he and his girl broke up the first time. Living on the streets, barely getting by and severing just about any relation with his past friends/family.

xJLxKing
Superman. He lost Krypton, then finally after hard work he got Kandor back, his uncle..etc only to have to choose earth over it again. Dude lost his parents, then his early father figure. I'm shocked Superman keeps it all together

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by curryman
Or Queen.

Which hero has come back from the lowest possible point. I'm not talking about who's channeled the power of heart the most mid-fight and beaten a Skyfather with a lighter, but rather what hero has managed to recover from a really, really low point?

I'll start off with Constantine. He recovered from some pretty hard times after he and his girl broke up the first time. Living on the streets, barely getting by and severing just about any relation with his past friends/family.

Daredevil.

After Kingpin just about wrecked his life.
Late 80s early 90s if memory serves.

jitay
Spidey
He has suffered the most knock backs IMO than almost anyone else

curryman
Originally posted by jitay
Spidey
He has suffered the most knock backs IMO than almost anyone else

I remember being surprised that he didn't massacre half the world after he found out about Gwen and Norman....

jitay
Are you being sarcastic..? confused

curryman
Originally posted by jitay
Are you being sarcastic..? confused

Why would I be sarcastic?

Seems like a pretty big shock.

Rao Kal El
Batman

Got his parents killed right in front of him when he was 8, yet he became the peak of human specimens. He stop winning and focused on a target that it seems only He has achieved. Besides being a successful business man, even if he inherit the money, he has been able to keep his corporation at the top of it's game.

Dr. Doom will be another one IMO

jitay
soz wasnt sure

jitay
but yeah if he actually lost it i think it would take a lot to bring the Spide down

wolverine

lmao at people saying superman

Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Batman

Got his parents killed right in front of him when he was 8, yet he became the peak of human specimens. He stop winning and focused on a target that it seems only He has achieved. Besides being a successful business man, even if he inherit the money, he has been able to keep his corporation at the top of it's game.

Dr. Doom will be another one IMO lucius fox is to be credited with that

TheHulk
Bruce Banner,Constatine and Peter Parker.

Rao Kal El
I actually think that the best comaback king even above Batman should be. Dr Doom

When He got disected by the beyonder and with in an inch of his life he reached for the beyonder and claimed his ultimate prize.

You can only wonder the fighting spirit if this guy, even after he has been defeated a milliion times, he does not quit.

TheHulk
Yea Dr Doom is a rare breed villian!

seriously. wolverine.

curryman
Batman was at a pretty low point in the Black Glove.

Also, this isn't supposed to be a backstory battle. I'm thinking of low points that they hit in the comics. Stuff that they recover from.

Zack Fair
Parker and Stark.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
I actually think that the best comaback king even above Batman should be. Dr Doom

When He got disected by the beyonder and with in an inch of his life he reached for the beyonder and claimed his ultimate prize.

You can only wonder the fighting spirit if this guy, even after he has been defeated a milliion times, he does not quit.

thumb up

Doom's willpower is second to none in Marvel.

Cogito
Hal's certainly up there

Sixth_Winged
Tie between Parker, Banner and Murdock with Peter to edge it out if he ever regains control of his body (which is now doubtful).

Both of their lives are torture and it's ridiculous they don't go evil or mad.

Batman, Arsenal(speedy) and Wolverine are close contenders. Marvel and Tragedy goes hand in hand.

Sixth_Winged
Oh and pre-dcnu Aquaman's life was some sad shit. And he kept on coming despite the odds.

Ptr_Grifin
I think I'd go with Parker as well. All the crap he goes through and all the good things he constantly seems to give up, make him a front runner IMO.

srankmissingnin
The correct answer is Wolverine, but for diversity sake I'll say Snake-Eyes.

If Snake-eyes had any vocal cords, he'd laugh in Bruce Wayne's face if he heard what that pussy was brooding about. It would be a freaking vacation compared to Snake-eyes life.

let's name their downs to make the comparison more objective:

wolverine -
witnessed his father's murder and his mother's suicide, accidently kills the woman he loves (rose) when defending himself from dog

lost rose, mariko, daken's mother, silver fox and countless other lovers to violent deaths. had to kill jean to put her out of her misery - go to guy for killing phoenix hosts out of their minds

got tortured, brainwahsed and warped into a killing machine a dozen times over by weapon x/plus, romulus, apocalypse, etc.

sent to hell and tortured, overthrew the devil

tricked into killing several of his own children by daken and the red hadn; forced to kill daken to keep him from slaying all the students in his school

bounced back from everything - no one can claim his (sometimes self-imposed) memory blocks are behind it either 'cause he's recovered all his memories and kept going and the worst of those traumas have all come over a period of intact memory creation and retrieval

end result: carrier of xavier's torch, school teacher, x-men, avenger, saved the world a thousand times over.

now, who can top that? specially the part in bold.

janus77
Hercules did that stuff in bold, ages ago.

Yet he's cool, kicks back a fair bit, handles his drink well, has been an all powerful Skyfather and nonchalantly gave it all up and bummed it as a human ...

I'd say Hercules.

he only did the first part of that actually. hercules is a close contender, but logan takes the win

Ptr_Grifin
Originally posted by 753

wolverine -
witnessed his father's murder and his mother's suicide, accidently kills the woman he loves (rose) when defending himself from dog

lost rose, mariko, daken's mother, silver fox and countless other lovers to violent deaths. had to kill jean to put her out of her misery - go to guy for killing phoenix hosts out of their minds

got tortured, brainwahsed and warped into a killing machine a dozen times over by weapon x/plus, romulus, apocalypse, etc.

sent to hell and tortured, overthrew the devil

tricked into killing several of his own children by daken and the red hadn; forced to kill daken to keep him from slaying all the students in his school

bounced back from everything - no one can claim his (sometimes self-imposed) memory blocks are behind it either 'cause he's recovered all his memories and kept going and the worst of those traumas have all come over a period of intact memory creation and retrieval

end result: carrier of xavier's torch, school teacher, x-men, avenger, saved the world a thousand times over.

now, who can top that? specially the part in bold.

You, sir, make a compelling argument.

carver9
Wolverine...everyone he's loved or cared about has been slaughtered and the same people that slaughtered his loved ones are still in his life trying to kill the only friends and family he have. The guy has no peace what'so ever. This doesn't include people manipulating him to attack his friends, or outright transforming him to attack Earth.

Zack Fair
I always thought being fooled into thinking you're a copy of the real you was low.

Cogito
Originally posted by 753

Hal's home city was destroyed and everyone he loved on Earth was killed, which made him go batshit crazy.

Then he actively killed tons of Green Lanterns who were friends and teammates, actively killed all the Guardians except Ganthet, passively killed hundreds more Green Lanterns when he took the Central Power Battery for himself. He went on to kill a whole bunch more people and, ultimately, destroy the universe.

Then he sacrificed himself to reignite the sun and save Earth, then came back to life and basically saved the universe in Blackest Night.

That's the biggest fall - by far - of anyone mentioned here, and by extension the biggest comeback.

Uriel005
Originally posted by TheHulk
Yea Dr Doom is a rare breed villian! I don't really see Doom as a villain anymore. More an arch-rival to Reed nowadays. To me it just seems like it's all a big competition between the two/ Doom and other heroes rather than anything supremely malicious.

Originally posted by Cogito
Hal's home city was destroyed and everyone he loved on Earth was killed, which made him go batshit crazy.

Then he actively killed tons of Green Lanterns who were friends and teammates, actively killed all the Guardians except Ganthet, passively killed hundreds more Green Lanterns when he took the Central Power Battery for himself. He went on to kill a whole bunch more people and, ultimately, destroy the universe.

Then he sacrificed himself to reignite the sun and save Earth, then came back to life and basically saved the universe in Blackest Night.

That's the biggest fall - by far - of anyone mentioned here, and by extension the biggest comeback. nope. the simple fact he lost his shit like that to begin with shows what a candy-ass he really is. mofo couldn't cope with the destruction of his city and became a genocidal traitor. how's that a testament to his fortitude?

after the parallax retcon, none of that shit can be atributed to him anyway.

EDIT: maybe I'm interpreting the op differently from you: I take it to mean "who took the worst life had to dish out and overcame/stayed true?"

JakeTheBank
Doom's endured torture at the hands of the Beyonder and Hell and not only took it like a man, winds up getting the last laugh. Guy's childhood was a mess and he lost pretty much everyone he cared about before returning home and usurping the throne. His mother's soul being eternally damned didn't stop him from challenging Mephisto ever year, eventually saving her with help from Strange. He's had his kingdom taken from him during times of absence only to take it back with a vengeance. He willingly sacrificed the one woman who truly and honestly loved him (and he cared for her, too) for badass skin armor. Guy survived being literally ripped apart at the dawn of time in addition to all the other bullshit thrown his way.

And in the end, he's always been Doom and true to himself. His entire character is centered around making absurd comebacks from total defeat/near death/anguish of some kind.

Cogito
Originally posted by 753
nope. the simple fact he lost his shit like that to begin with shows what a candy-ass he really is. mofo couldn't cope with the destruction of his city and became a genocidal traitor. how's that a testament to his fortitude?
It's not a testament to his fortitude. Hal's a pansy ass *****. But the OP's question was...
Which hero has come back from the lowest possible point...what hero has managed to recover from a really, really low point? Originally posted by 753
EDIT: maybe I'm interpreting the op differently from you: I take it to mean "who took the worst life had to dish out and overcame/stayed true?" Yup, you're misinterpreting the question. Hal fell to the lowest point of anyone mentioned, and he came back. That's exactly the OP's question, unless the OP accidentally worded the question differently than he meant.

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Guy survived being literally ripped apart at the dawn of time in addition to all the other bullshit thrown his way.

MoD megalodons? the thunderbolts saved him.

doom would win in who manages to turn the greatest triumphs into the most pathetic lows though.

It's not a testament to his fortitude. Hal's a pansy ass *****. But the OP's question was...
Yup, you're misinterpreting the question. Hal fell to the lowest point of anyone mentioned, and he came back. That's exactly the OP's question, unless the OP accidentally worded the question differently than he meant. in that case, yes. hal wins, if we ignore the parallax retcon.
once bishop is rehabilitated, he'll have the crown I believe.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by 753
MoD megalodons? the thunderbolts saved him.

doom would win in who manages to turn the greatest triumphs into the most pathetic lows though.

You have Doom confused with Thanos.

You have Doom confused with Thanos. thanos is a strong contender.

curryman
Please stop bringing up Doom because of the Beyonder incident.

It's completely unrelatable and it lasted like 1 comic stick out tongue

Engineer had a pretty low point in her life when she was trapped with that husband who raped and got her addicted to meth.

JakeTheBank
Please stop bringing up Doom because of the Beyonder incident.

It's completely unrelatable and it lasted like 1 comic stick out tongue

Engineer had a pretty low point in her life when she was trapped with that husband who raped and got her addicted to meth.

It's a classic moment and one of the defining points in his career.

Even excluding that, he's had plenty of sour moments from his childhood to his adulthood that's he's comeback from.

-Pr-
Aquaman and Cyclops have both experienced incredible, constant loss and isolation, and come back from it.

curryman
Cyclops definitely had some stuff after the whole Apocalypse thing.

I don't know much about Aquaman, but pollution of the sea and oil-spills have to be real annoying.

Wolverine had to kill his own son, and I think that would be up there, but it doesn't look like he was affected that much. This thread isn't supposed to be -who's had the most shit done to them-, but who's recovered from the lowest point.

In that sense I think Wolverine recovering from the post-Rose trauma is far more impressive than just about anything he's suffered in the latter years, though the Logan Files had him through some rough shit smile

It's a classic moment and one of the defining points in his career.

Even excluding that, he's had plenty of sour moments from his childhood to his adulthood that's he's comeback from.

Suffering a setback and being at a very low point in your life is far from the same-thing. Doom basically absorbed absolute power not long after he was beat. Not only that but his mind and will are so durable that I can bet you a hundred far less serious events have affected other people to a far greater degree. Nor is it something that any human being can really relate to, I feel like stick out tongue

Wolverine had to kill his own son, and I think that would be up there, but it doesn't look like he was affected that much. This thread isn't supposed to be -who's had the most shit done to them-, but who's recovered from the lowest point.

In that sense I think Wolverine recovering from the post-Rose trauma is far more impressive than just about anything he's suffered in the latter years, though the Logan Files had him through some rough shit smile

nah killing daken on top of the others ****ed him up good. it's what drove him to shut down x-force and focus full-time on a more chuckish way of handling business.

curryman
Originally posted by 753
nah killing daken on top of the others ****ed him up good. it's what drove him to shut down x-force and focus full-time on a more chuckish way of handling business.

Yeah you bring up a good point.

Maybe this is part of the reason for his newfound patience for Quentin smile

quentin is the wolverine to logan's xavier, plus the little twerp grows on you

curryman
I wouldn't say he's recovered but Daniel Ketch was in a pretty bad place before they recruited him for the Ghost Rider killin'

Originally posted by 753
quentin is the wolverine to logan's xavier, plus the little twerp grows on you

It's getting a bit off topic, but I'm actually surprised at how well Wolverine's been handling kids throughout the years. Kitty, Jubilee, Quentin and so on.

abhilegend
Originally posted by 753
wolverine

Superman came back after living personification of death destroyed the entire multiverse and made him watch it to break his spirit.

-Pr-
Originally posted by 753
wolverine

Not sure if serious...

curryman
Daredevil's literally had the gun at his temple. I can think of few who have been lower than him. Especially after the whole Pariah-arc (which someone mentioned before me).

Originally posted by abhilegend
Superman came back after living personification of death destroyed the entire multiverse and made him watch it to break his spirit.

Superman's the only one who remembers Emp.Joker right?

It is a feat beyond just about anything else, but like I mentioned earlier with Doom, Superman's will and spirit are too strong for this thread. It's a tremendous hit to his willpower, but it didn't seem particularly humiliating, etc.

I'm sorry if it feels like I'm just tossing out new stipulation's here, but I wasn't able to fully convey what I wanted in the opening post stick out tongue

-Pr-
It's an interesting point. Do we go by the magnitude of the event, or by how deeply affected the character was? They're not always proportionate.

curryman
Originally posted by -Pr-
It's an interesting point. Do we go by the magnitude of the event, or by how deeply affected the character was? They're not always proportionate.

How they affected the character.

Thanks for helping make the distinction, like you said it's not always proportionate and that's why I felt like excluding the Doom-Beyonder event and Superman in Emp.Joker. To me, Superman seemed to take a far greater hit in For Tomorrow and Manchester's Endgame smile

abhilegend
Superman's the only one who remembers Emp.Joker right? Yes.

It was. Death made superman live billions of years seeing everything die around him untill he didn't even remember who he was and was begging for death to kill him.

I know.

curryman
It was. Death made superman live billions of years seeing everything die around him untill he didn't even remember who he was and was begging for death to kill him.

Okay, that was a lot rougher than I remembered it, definitely qualifies.

abhilegend
Okay, that was a lot rougher than I remembered it, definitely qualifies.
Its one of the best comics I ever read.
BTW here is Death destroying entire universe to destroy superman's will.

http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/15137956_supersting-40_zpsea339a47.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/15137957_supersting-41_zps27072470.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/15137958_supersting-42_zps23aa4e95.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/15137959_supersting-44_zps238f5a3f.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/15137960_supersting-45_zps00e08cc4.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/15137961_supersting-47_zps6a9f4aa5.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/15137962_supersting-48-49_zpscb0ad26e.jpg

It was universal Death.

xJLxKing
Anyone remember what Gog did to Superman?

Rao Kal El
Just notice the OP asked for heroes stick out tongue

pym-ftw
Hank Pym
He gets no respect

Hero, Founder/Leader of the Avengers, & all around good guy

Goes insane and strikes his wife once, and it gets brought up every time he meets someone.

Not to mention his friends thought he was a skrull traitor, his "son" dreams of nothing but genocide, & to top it off Wolverine went back in time with the wife of arguably his best friend to kill him instead of tell him about Ultron and talk him out of building him...

-Pr-
To be fair, that's more writers being assholes than actual in-universe stuff. At least imo.

HueyFreeman
Doom's endured torture at the hands of the Beyonder and Hell and not only took it like a man, winds up getting the last laugh. Guy's childhood was a mess and he lost pretty much everyone he cared about before returning home and usurping the throne. His mother's soul being eternally damned didn't stop him from challenging Mephisto ever year, eventually saving her with help from Strange. He's had his kingdom taken from him during times of absence only to take it back with a vengeance. He willingly sacrificed the one woman who truly and honestly loved him (and he cared for her, too) for badass skin armor. Guy survived being literally ripped apart at the dawn of time in addition to all the other bullshit thrown his way.

And in the end, he's always been Doom and true to himself. His entire character is centered around making absurd comebacks from total defeat/near death/anguish of some kind. You forgot the part about how he dammed himself in front of his mother by trying to sacrifice strange to save her. She turned her back on him when she saw what he became.

JakeTheBank
That, too.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Hank Pym
He gets no respect

Hero, Founder/Leader of the Avengers, & all around good guy

Goes insane and strikes his wife once, and it gets brought up every time he meets someone.

Not to mention his friends thought he was a skrull traitor, his "son" dreams of nothing but genocide, & to top it off Wolverine went back in time with the wife of arguably his best friend to kill him instead of tell him about Ultron and talk him out of building him...

Janet is a loud mouth whore, it's a wonder she doesn't get smacked around more. Plus she's a fashion designer? Even I want to slap her.

curryman
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Janet is a loud mouth whore, it's a wonder she doesn't get smacked around more. Plus she's a fashion designer? Even I want to slap her.

Her and Simon's behaviour in Uncanny Avengers = God damn shameful big grin

Martian_mind
It's Daredevil.

"Id"
Plutonian

Sixth_Winged
Plutonian is just like hal, some ***** who took it too far when something went wrong in his life... and he hasnt redeemed himself by his lonesome.

TheGodKiller
Empowered. Every day in her life is literally the lowest point of her life, and yet she always manages to find the strength to move forward and continue doing the job which gives her nothing apart from stacking disappointment and humiliation, one after another. Not only that, but in the ultimate showdown she is the one who saves everybody and kicks the baddest ass on the antagonist side.

Cogito

It's been a while, but Emperor Joker mentally tortured Batman similar to Beyonder/Doom. It broke Batman completely, and in the end didn't the Spectre transfer all that crap to Superman because he was man enough to take it?

Cogito
Originally posted by Sixth_Winged
Plutonian is just like hal, some ***** who took it too far when something went wrong in his life... and he hasnt redeemed himself by his lonesome.

Did he destroy the universe?

Rao Kal El
It's been a while, but Emperor Joker mentally tortured Batman similar to Beyonder/Doom. It broke Batman completely, and in the end didn't the Spectre transfer all that crap to Superman because he was man enough to take it?

I think He transfer all to the Joker

abhilegend
Yes.

ODG
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
You forgot the part about how he dammed himself in front of his mother by trying to sacrifice strange to save her. She turned her back on him when she saw what he became. That was Doom's plan all along because it was the only way his mother could redeem her own damned soul. Doom did give Strange a device to break free from Mephisto's prison, after all. Strange saw that at the end and realized Doom sacrificed his own mother's love to free her soul.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.