Which movie franchise is at the top of the mountain ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
In terms of popularity, money, merchandising, etc. ?

playa1258
Star Wars.

FrothByte
If the first movie is any indication, then the Avengers will probably become the biggest franchise.

But as it is now, Star Wars, Harry Potter, and LOTR are the ones that easily come to mind.

playa1258
Star Wars has another trilogy coming out and has been huge in merchandise for decades.

Impediment
Star Wars, easy.

Hellen Keller would know this.

Silent Master
Adjusting for inflation, Star Wars is likely #1

-Pr-
Yeah, Star Wars is still the king.

I love how well the Marvel franchise has done though; people I never imagined liking comics would talk about how much they loved Avengers. Marvel's becoming a powerhouse at this point.

Impediment
Also Star Wars is still incredibly popular with merchandising and legacy.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
Star Wars, easy.

Hellen Keller would know this.

*boom*

marwash22
Harry Potter is the only thing i could think of that would be close to Star Wars.

box office total:

Harry Potter - $7.7b
Star Wars - $4.2b

franchise total:

Harry Potter - $24b
Star Wars - $27b

Harry Potter has 2 more movies and it's done. Star Wars has another trilogy (possibly more) coming.

Star Wars is the clear winner.

Robtard
SW does a lot of winning here in the MVF. smile

quanchi112
It's not fair to really compare the franchise total at this point since Star Wars has thirty or so plus years on Harry Potter.

Silent Master
Harry Potter lost, deal with it.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Silent Master
Harry Potter lost, deal with it. I don't think so at all. Having a 30 plus year start can't be just shoved under the carpet.

It took Star Wars years to come back to the big screen and with all the money the Harry Potter franchise made you can bet your ass it will come back to the big screen.

Robtard
Originally posted by quanchi112
and with all the money the Harry Potter franchise made you can bet your ass it will come back to the big screen.

And you'll be there to finally watch it for the first time.

Silent Master
Bottom line, Star Wars wins.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
And you'll be there to finally watch it for the first time. Take your petty comments out of the thread. Try at least to be serious and be an adult once in your life, 37 year old.

Jedi Sheriff
It's quite simply Star Wars.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff
It's quite simply Star Wars. What makes you say so ?

Jedi Sheriff
In terms of popularity, money, merchandising

playa1258
A New Hope sold 178 million tickets, Empire 98 million and ROTJ 94 million tickets.

For comparison, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone sold 55 million tickets. The highest in the series.

quanchi112
30 year head start. Potter movies got stronger as they came out unlike the second batch of Star Wars films.

Robtard
Take your petty comments out of the thread. Try at least to be serious and be an adult once in your life, 37 year old.

Says the guy crying "not fair! not fair!" cos he can't deal that the Star Wars franchise > the Harry Potter franchise in 'popularity, money, merchandising etc.'

I'm not 37, you can't get anything correct.

quanchi112
Originally posted by playa1258
A New Hope sold 178 million tickets, Empire 98 million and ROTJ 94 million tickets.

For comparison, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone sold 55 million tickets. The highest in the series. Link ? Also different times back then and less competition in terms of fantasy films IMO.

quanchi112
Says the guy crying "not fair! not fair!" cos he can't deal that the Star Wars franchise > the Harry Potter franchise in 'popularity, money, merchandising etc.'

I'm not 37, you can't get anything correct. 39 years old or whatever you old fart.

30 year head start has to be factored in. Only a fool would ignore that clear fact. smile

playa1258
Boxofficemojo.com . Good site for Box office data.

Robtard
Link ? Also different times back then and less competition in terms of fantasy films IMO.

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/2840/putinfacepalms.png

Lestov16
I don't think so at all. Having a 30 plus year start can't be just shoved under the carpet.

It took Star Wars years to come back to the big screen and with all the money the Harry Potter franchise made you can bet your ass it will come back to the big screen.

No it won't. J.K. Rowling isn't like George Lucas. She's not going to shamelessly cash in with a Voldemort prequel trilogy. I'm sure if HP films were released about a decade or so down the line, they would also make big cash just as the SW prequels did, but Rowling has no need to do that since she is an artist trying to tell a story and that story is complete, unlike money-grubbing lardass George Lucas, who completely destroyed the great mythology of his films to sell toys.

quanchi112
Boxofficemojo.com . Good site for Box office data. Link me in which it shows you the numbers.

Silent Master
Boxofficemojo.com . Good site for Box office data.

It's fun watching quan cry because he can't deal with the fact that Star Wars > Harry Potter.

playa1258
To be fair Potter is the number 1 selling book series of all time, but Star Wars is no slouch in that department either.

quanchi112
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/2840/putinfacepalms.png Are you saying the competition is the same in today's movie times as it was back then ? Are you serious ?

Robtard
Originally posted by Lestov16
No it won't. J.K. Rowling isn't like George Lucas. She's not going to shamelessly cash in with a Voldemort prequel trilogy. I'm sure if HP films were released about a decade or so down the line, they would also make big cash just as the SW prequels did, but Rowling has no need to do that since she is an artist trying to tell a story and that story is complete, unlike money-grubbing lardass George Lucas, who completely destroyed the great mythology of his films to sell toys.

/edge

Jedi Sheriff
30 year head start has to be factored in. Only a fool would ignore that clear fact. smile

I'm not ignoring it, Star Wars is still bigger regardless of the head start it had. It's almost hardwired into human DNA coding. I like the HP movies but nothing can come close to the global appeal and longevity of Star Wars.

quanchi112
No it won't. J.K. Rowling isn't like George Lucas. She's not going to shamelessly cash in with a Voldemort prequel trilogy. I'm sure if HP films were released about a decade or so down the line, they would also make big cash just as the SW prequels did, but Rowling has no need to do that since she is an artist trying to tell a story and that story is complete, unlike money-grubbing lardass George Lucas, who completely destroyed the great mythology of his films to sell toys. That has to do with whether or not she writes more books I am sure that Warner Bros. can press on without her just like Star Wars has escaped Lucas' clutches.

quanchi112
It's fun watching quan cry because he can't deal with the fact that Star Wars > Harry Potter. I don't see any reason why to think so. 30 year head start and most of the diehards agreed the prequels sucked. I liked the Revenge of the Sith as my fave but wasn't a die hard Star Wars fan either.

Robtard
Are you saying the competition is the same in today's movie times as it was back then ? Are you serious ?

We've been through this before. eg the person who goes to see Iron Man 3 isn't going to not go see Man of Steel simply because he's seen Iron Man 3 already. Movie tickets are movie tickets. It's not like cars where if you buy a Chevy product, you're done for a length of time and aren't going to go buy a Ford or Toyota in the next month or so.

Think.

quanchi112
I'm not ignoring it, Star Wars is still bigger regardless of the head start it had. It's almost hardwired into human DNA coding. I like the HP movies but nothing can come close to the global appeal and longevity of Star Wars. Potter is newer just give it thirty years and I imagine the younger generations embracing it just all the same.

Jedi Sheriff
Potter is newer just give it thirty years and I imagine the younger generations embracing it just all the same.

Honestly, I don't think so. But I guess China will find out in 30, as they'll be the only ones left.

Silent Master
I don't see any reason why to think so. 30 year head start and most of the diehards agreed the prequels sucked. I liked the Revenge of the Sith as my fave but wasn't a die hard Star Wars fan either.

Star Wars wins, you've already been given the numbers that prove this.

quanchi112
We've been through this before. eg the person who goes to see Iron Man 3 isn't going to not go see Man of Steel simply because he's seen Iron Man 3 already. Movie tickets are movie tickets. It's not like cars where if you buy a Chevy product, you're done for a length of time and aren't going to go buy a Ford or Toyota in the next month or so.

Think. Kids are growing up being exposed to something they otherwise wouldn't be due to the films. People feel nostalgic which means they tend to support something.

Exposure equals change. Think.

Lestov16
Also different times back then and less competition in terms of fantasy films IMO.

What amps the Star Wars series above Harry Potter, in terms of net worth and popularity, is that while HP is a great series about great characters, Star Wars was a completely original (people have known about witches and wizards for centuries, but Jedi?), genre busting (Harry Potter is clearly pure fantasy, whereas Star Wars is fantasy, sci-fi, and adventure) spectacle with THE best special effects up to that time. While Harry Potter did have an already large fanbase from the books, Star Wars has an immortal place in culture, because seeing
Star Wars in 1978 for the first time was an event, because, as stated, never before has sci fi and fantasy been combined into an epic film. It's probably one of the best showcases of originality in human history, which is why, for all I complain about Lucas, he completely deserves his billions, because while Harry Potter is a great story, Lucas pretty much expanded the bounds of the human imagination.

Robtard
Kids are growing up being exposed to something they otherwise wouldn't be due to the films. People feel nostalgic which means they tend to support something.

Exposure equals change. Think.

Now you're just rambling cos you have no answer and realize your stance was ridiculous.

Put it this way. You're planning (or have)on watching Iron Man 3. Do you plan on not watching MoS because you've already spent your money on IM3? See: Competition. Exactly. Think.

The Fat Rambo
SW, then ST or HP.

Robtard
Good call on ST.

Lestov16
Speaking of Harry Potter, OT, but did anybody see that horrible joke in the trailer for "This is The End", in which Emma Watson steals supplies from the protagonists, prompting Danny McBride to ruin the joke immediately and spout "We just got robbed by Hermione". No phucking shit. It's like Seltzerberg-level comedic writing.

playa1258
Link me in which it shows you the numbers.

http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwars.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=harrypotter.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

marwash22
Originally posted by The Fat Rambo
SW, then ST or HP. Star Trek (despite having 12 movies) is nowhere near Harry Potter and Star Wars in terms of money.

i doubt you can even make a case about it being more popular. Star Trek is still pretty niche; even with the new movies, there aren't many people became hardcore fans who weren't already.

Merchandising would be the only area where it competes with the other two.

quanchi112
What amps the Star Wars series above Harry Potter, in terms of net worth and popularity, is that while HP is a great series about great characters, Star Wars was a completely original (people have known about witches and wizards for centuries, but Jedi?), genre busting (Harry Potter is clearly pure fantasy, whereas Star Wars is fantasy, sci-fi, and adventure) spectacle with THE best special effects up to that time. While Harry Potter did have an already large fanbase from the books, Star Wars has an immortal place in culture, because seeing
Star Wars in 1978 for the first time was an event, because, as stated, never before has sci fi and fantasy been combined into an epic film. It's probably one of the best showcases of originality in human history, which is why, for all I complain about Lucas, he completely deserves his billions, because while Harry Potter is a great story, Lucas pretty much expanded the bounds of the human imagination. Iyo but this rather can become subjective and quickly. I feel while the original Star Wars was groundbreaking at the time the acting wasn't exceptional in New Hope IMO.

A fan base that greatly increased when it came out.

I greatly prefer Harry Potter both in terms of storytelling and characters to that of Star Wars.

quanchi112
Now you're just rambling cos you have no answer and realize your stance was ridiculous.

Put it this way. You're planning (or have)on watching Iron Man 3. Do you plan on not watching MoS because you've already spent your money on IM3? See: Competition. Exactly. Think. It is exposing another generation not me a comic book fan. I know about both and will see both.

This has to do with the general public not hardcore comic fans. That's when real money is made. Think.

quanchi112
Good call on ST. Horrible call on Star Trek. Not even close.

quanchi112
http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwars.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=harrypotter.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm Thanks.

Robtard
Horrible call on Star Trek. Not even close.

Guess you're not aware of the massive fanbase Star Trek has.

Silent Master
Guess you're not aware of the massive fanbase Star Trek has.

He's probably never seen Star Trek, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought Voldy would beat Q.

quanchi112
Guess you're not aware of the massive fanbase Star Trek has. I worked with an outcast before who called herself a Trekkie. She was different lets say.

In terms of success Star Trek isn't up there. Not even close.

Robtard
I worked with an outcast before who called herself a Trekkie. She was different lets say.

In terms of success Star Trek isn't up there. Not even close.

No you didn't. Stop lying.

If you're just factoring movie ticket sales. Sure.

James Bond is another heavy hitter as well in the movie ticket department.

Lestov16
I would say James Bond beats Star Wars. Bond pretty much created the action genre as we know it.

Robtard
I would say James Bond beats Star Wars. Bond pretty much created the action genre as we know it.

I would say you're correct:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/business/MovieFranchises.png

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/the-biggest-movie-franchises-of-all-time-in-2-charts/260082/

There's other list and they vary with the exact $$$ figs, but Bond is still top in ticket sale $$$. 23 films will do that though.

edit: **** me, Skyfall made 1.1billion.

marwash22
uhh no. Bond franchise has only made $8b total with $1.2b of that coming from the box office.

Originally posted by marwash22
Star Wars - $27b

Lestov16
I must say thank God for Christopher Nolan for resurrecting Batman's popularity, so that he wasn't best known for bat-nipples. The fact that the Bay Transformers film series in the top ranking makes my stomach churn.

marwash22
the site i was getting my numbers from only has Skyfall's worldwide box office gross at 794m... apparently it hasn't been updated in a while. Even still, Bond is no where near Star Wars or Harry Potter.

quanchi112
No you didn't. Stop lying.

If you're just factoring movie ticket sales. Sure.

James Bond is another heavy hitter as well in the movie ticket department. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Total ballpark Potter wipes its ******* with Star Trek. It's a niche and that's it. Te new reboots give it hope since they aren't trash which can appeal to the general public.

James Bond isn't close either in terms of merchandising.

People are all ignoring the Harry Potter theme park and the money it makes as well.

Robtard
the site i was getting my numbers from only has Skyfall's worldwide box office gross at 794m... apparently it hasn't been updated in a while. Even still, Bond is no where near Star Wars or Harry Potter.

I got 1.1billion from wiki, bro.

quanchi112
I got 1.1billion from wiki, bro. Wikipedia is Robtards one source for everything. Forget that any crackpot can edit the damn thing because Robbie believes in it.

Robtard
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Total ballpark Potter wipes its ******* with Star Trek. It's a niche and that's it. Te new reboots give it hope since they aren't trash which can appeal to the general public.

James Bond isn't close either in terms of merchandising.

People are all ignoring the Harry Potter theme park and the money it makes as well.

Yeah, already showed that you don't know anything about Star Trek, no need for a repeat.

Harry Potter isn't on top, just deal with it already.

Robtard
Wikipedia is Robtards one source for everything. Forget that any crackpot can edit the damn thing because Robbie believes in it.

Wiki list its reference sources.

boxofficemojo.com supports the 1.1billion figure, dumbass.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond23.htm

Now do your dance.

quanchi112
Wiki list its reference sources.

boxofficemojo.com supports the 1.1billion figure, dumbass.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond23.htm Hold on I'm busy editing the entry to say 100 billion. You're wrong and rely on this site for everything aka Crabbe released Fiendfyre you knucklehead.

marwash22
I got 1.1billion from wiki, bro. Bond is still sucking the pee from the tip of Jar Jar's peen. ahah

quanchi112

Lestov16
Bond and Star Wars are far more famous than Harry Potter /discussion

Robtard
Hold on I'm busy editing the entry to say 100 billion. You're wrong and rely on this site for everything aka Crabbe released Fiendfyre you knucklehead.

In other words you realize the 1.1billion figure is correct and are doing your expected little quanchi dance. smile

Silent Master
Star Wars wins.

marwash22
There weren't spy stories before Bond?

bermm

Silent Master
Quan, what are you arguing here, because Harry Potter certainly isn't the most profitable or influential film franchise. It didn't create a genre (like Bond) or bend genres (like Star Wars). It's an excellent story, but nothing original.

Basically, he's just crying because Harry Potter lost another contest.

quanchi112
In other words you realize the 1.1billion figure is correct and are doing your expected little quanchi dance. smile I am busy laughing at your end all be all site of knowledge.

quanchi112
Star Wars wins. No, it doesn't.

quanchi112
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24/harry-potter-theme-park-hollywood_n_3146174.html

And yet another one on the way. I'm always right.

Robtard
I am busy laughing at your end all be all site of knowledge.

Please feel free to show where the Wiki 1.1billion dollar figure was wrong. smile

You can't, but are too stupid to just drop it.

Wiki > you
boxofficemojo > you
SW > HP

Silent Master
No, it doesn't.

Then what film series does?

quanchi112
Please feel free to show where the Wiki 1.1billion dollar figure was wrong. smile

You can't, but are too stupid to just drop it.

Wiki > you
boxofficemojo > you
SW > HP When did I say the number was inaccurate ?

Comprehension>> you.

Robtard
When did I say the number was inaccurate ?

Comprehension>> you.

When you implied that I was foolish for using wiki and implied it was unreliable.

You can't even comprehend your own post now.

quanchi112
When you implied that I was foolish for using wiki and implied it was unreliable.

You can't even comprehend your own post now. I said its hilarious and basically your only source. I never said the number was inaccurate I just mocked your dependence to it.

Robtard
Now the dodging and flips. The natural course of events with you.

PS, good job in derailing another one of your own threads. smile

Lestov16
If you mock his dependence to it, it means you don't trust it, which means you think it's inaccurate.

quanchi112
If you mock his dependence to it, it means you don't trust it, which means you think it's inaccurate. No, I'm saying he basically knows nothing of his own and just uses wiki for everything.

quanchi112
Now the dodging and flips. The natural course of events with you.

PS, good job in derailing another one of your own threads. smile Potter wins due to Star Wars having a thirty year start and Potter amusement parks not being factored in.

Robtard
No, I'm saying he basically knows nothing of his own and just uses wiki for everything.

Because you happen to instinctively know exactly how much a given movie has grossed? laughing out loud

Robtard
Potter wins due to Star Wars having a thirty year start and Potter amusement parks not being factored in.

Facts prove you wrong. But facts can't compete with your HP addiction.

quanchi112
Because you happen to instinctively know exactly how much a given movie has grossed? laughing out loud Not just here but everything in general such as Crabbe. You're just wiki.

quanchi112
Facts prove you wrong. But facts can't compete with your HP addiction. Did you factor in the amusement parks profits ?

Robtard
Not just here but everything in general such as Crabbe. You're just wiki.

Anytime you want to prove a wiki source I post as being wrong, feel free. smile (we both know you can't and it's why you never do)

Robtard
Did you factor in the amusement parks profits ?

What are the profit numbers?

quanchi112
What are the profit numbers? Imasked if you factored it in but your response gave me my answer.

Robtard
Imasked if you factored it in but your response gave me my answer.

Terrible sentence, you're cracking again under stress again.

But it was a dodge. You don't even know what the $$$ numbers are and you're asking me if I factored them in. laughing out loud

edit: laughing out loud Quanchi's desperately googling trying to come up with some $$$ figure that isn't a wiki link laughing out loud

Silent Master
Facts prove you wrong. But facts can't compete with your HP addiction.

Next he'll be trying to use book sales to bump up the numbers for the HP movies; like he's already trying to do with the park.

Lestov16
Harry Potter isn't near Star Wars. Star Wars was making billions off of the EU alone before the prequels came out. Harry Potter has no EU, and no more HP films are coming out. It has nothing to carry it into the next generation, like Star Wars did.

quanchi112
Terrible sentence, you're cracking again under stress again.

But it was a dodge. You don't even know what the $$$ numbers are and you're asking me if I factored them in. laughing out loud So one letter m threw you for a loop. Silly little guy.

You didn't factor them. You're also ignoring the 30 year head start.

laughing out loud

quanchi112
Next he'll be trying to use book sales to bump up the numbers for the HP movies; like he's already trying to do with the park. This is the total sales of everything not just movies which Harry Potter wins.

laughing

Robtard
So one letter m threw you for a loop. Silly little guy.

You didn't factor them. You're also ignoring the 30 year head start.

laughing out loud

Just calm down, okay.

You don't even know the $$$ number. You're not factoring it in either. laughing out loud

Star Wars will probably have its own theme park in the near future due to Disney owning it now. So there goes your desperate "theme park! theme park!" bubble. Also talks of renewing the SW TV show idea. More $$$.

SW $$$$ > HP $$$, just deal with the facts.

quanchi112
Harry Potter isn't near Star Wars. Star Wars was making billions off of the EU alone before the prequels came out. Harry Potter has no EU, and no more HP films are coming out. It has nothing to carry it into the next generation, like Star Wars did. Theme parks and more movies will be made. Trust me. You're ignoring the 30 year head start.

Things this popular carry on trust me.

Silent Master
Incorrect, The thread is about "Which movie franchise is at the top of the mountain"

Neither the books or the park are part of the movie franchise.

quanchi112
Just calm down, okay.

You don't even know the $$$ number. You're not factoring it in either. laughing out loud

Also, Star Wars will probably have it's own theme park in the near future due to Disney owning them now. So there goes your desperate "theme park! theme park!" bubble. Its a typo you silly goose.

You clearly don't so you didn't factor them in.

There will be 2 Potter parks and no announcement of a Star Wars park. Speculation due to bias.

quanchi112
Incorrect, The thread is about "Which movie franchise is at the top of the mountain"

Neither the books or the park are part of the movie franchise. Fone we will stick to movie profits alone. Harry Potter clearly wins.

laughing out loud

Thanks for the assist pal.

Robtard
Its a typo you silly goose.

You clearly don't so you didn't factor them in.

There will be 2 Potter parks and no announcement of a Star Wars park. Speculation due to bias.

You don't either, so how can you factor in it?

This is why you fail yet again: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/08/star-wars-theme-park-disney_n_3239424.html?utm_hp_ref=business

Even if the theme park(s) and TV show don't pan out, SW $$$ > HP $$$. It's really a matter of how much more $$$ SW does over HP.

quanchi112
You don't either, so how can you factor in it?

This is why you fail yet again: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/08/star-wars-theme-park-disney_n_3239424.html?utm_hp_ref=business

Even if the theme park(s) and TV show don't pan out, SW $$$ > HP $$$. So nothing definitive just speculation unlike two confirmed parks. The article is speculating.

Silent Master
Again, you are incorrect....the Star Wars movies made more money and sold more tickets than the HP films,....thus they win.

marwash22
Fone we will stick to movie profits alone. Harry Potter clearly wins.

laughing out loud

Thanks for the assist pal. he has a point.

oh wait...

In terms of popularity, money, merchandising, etc. ?

Lestov16
Quan, quite honestly, if you see this as some kind of Star Wars vs HP competition, I'd be scared. Disney just acquired Star Wars, are definitely doing yet another trilogy, and are having probably the best sci fi director in the biz today direct them. As I said before, HP's story is done.

quanchi112
Again, you are incorrect....the Star Wars movies made more money and sold more tickets than the HP films,....thus they win.

laughing out loud

Potter made more money. As usual you don't have a clue and continue to be a jackass.

Robtard
If you adjust inflation. It might not be with the 'only movie $$$' angle.

quanchi112
Quan, quite honestly, if you see this as some kind of Star Wars vs HP competition, I'd be scared. Disney just acquired Star Wars, are definitely doing yet another trilogy, and are having probably the best sci fi director in the biz today direct them. As I said before, HP's story is done. Star Wars went many years without a sequel and guess what here come a bunch more.

HP will return. Mark my words and the franchise is too strong not to return. Trust me.

marwash22
the numbers on page one are adjusted for inflation.

quanchi112
If you adjust inflation. It might not be. Silent master is arguing just based on money per film HP wins. He's so adorably cute.

Don't be upset. It's ok, Robbie. Harry Potter wins.

Silent Master
he has a point.

oh wait...

The funny part is, he's trying to count the book series as part of the movie merchandising, someone should probably tell him that the books predate the movies.

quanchi112
the numbers on page one are adjusted for inflation. Please don't tell Robbie he's quite desperate. This has him on the edge. Don't push him off.

Lestov16
It's done. There's nowhere else for the story to go. Any other story of Dark vs good wizards will immediately be compared to the original and you can't top the original.

quanchi112
The funny part is, he's trying to count the book series as part of the movie merchandising, someone should probably tell him that the books predate the movies. The movies are based on the books so no shit, genius. You're cute and thanks for arguing for Potter.

Robtard
Silent master is arguing just based on money per film HP wins. He's so adorably cute.

Don't be upset. It's ok, Robbie. Harry Potter wins.

I don't have some idiot HP vs SW thing like you, so if HP did make more $$$ overall in movies (as you seem to want to make it, since you failed in the "everything franchise" game), I'm fine with it; it doesn't take away from my SW enjoyment.

But did you adjust for inflation, can you please post some numbers?

Silent Master
The movies are based on the books so no shit, genius. You're cute and thanks for arguing for Potter.

Thanks for admiting that the HP books don't count as movie merchandising.

quanchi112
It's done. There's nowhere else for the story to go. Any other story of Dark vs good wizards will immediately be compared to the original and you can't top the original. Same thing happened to Star Wars. Same thing will more than likely happen here but who knows. Potter will be back.

quanchi112
Thanks for admiting that the HP books don't count as movie merchandising. They count in the big picture or don't count and we factor in movie money only like you wanted. Either way Harry wins, kid.

Lestov16
Star Wars isn't bound by the main character's name being in the title.

Robtard
Same thing happened to Star Wars. Same thing will more than likely happen here but who knows. Potter will be back.

A boy can dream his dream.

quanchi112
Star Wars isn't bound by the main character's name being in the title. Neither is Harry people will come back no matter what the title is. Trust me.

quanchi112
A boy can dream his dream. Potter wins you sore loser.

Silent Master
They count in the big picture or don't count and we factor in movie money only like you wanted. Either way Harry wins, kid.

They predate the HP movies, so they don't count as part of the movie franchise.

playa1258
A New Hope adjusts to 1.4 billion domestic alone.

siriuswriter
Would Star Trek in any way count? Because there's the old movies, the old TV show, the new TV show, the spin-offs, and now the new movies. Not to mention the serious amount of Trekkies and the huge amount of money made by buying/making costumes, auctioning off "retro" props... etc. etc.

quanchi112
They predate the HP movies, so they don't count as part of the movie franchise. I decide what counts and it either all counts or just movie made at the box office. By your own reasoning Potter wins if we just look at the box office. Just try to be more clever when it comes to your trolling. You're slipping.

Robtard
A New Hope adjusts to 1.4 billion domestic alone.

Quanchi doesn't understand the concept of inflation and prices. I tried letting him know on page 6, but he rage ignored. What he does when he can't grasp something

quanchi112
Quanchi doesn't understand the concept of inflation and prices. Originally posted by marwash22
the numbers on page one are adjusted for inflation. smile

Robtard
smile

"Produced with a budget of $11 million and released on May 25, 1977, the film earned $460 million in the United States and $314 million overseas, surpassing Jaws as the nominal highest-grossing film and remained that way until being surpassed by E.T. the Extra Terrestrial in 1982. When adjusted for inflation, it is the second highest grossing film in the US and Canada and is the third highest-grossing in the world as of 2012"

The 774million is in 1977 dollars. As I said, you don't understand inflation. smile

quanchi112
"Produced with a budget of $11 million and released on May 25, 1977, the film earned $460 million in the United States and $314 million overseas, surpassing Jaws as the nominal highest-grossing film and remained that way until being surpassed by E.T. the Extra Terrestrial in 1982. When adjusted for inflation, it is the second highest grossing film in the US and Canada and is the third highest-grossing in the world as of 2012"

The 774million is in 1977 dollars. As I said, you don't understand inflation. smile We don't adjust for inflation. The only fair way is total dollars made in each category. Potter wins at the box office and collectively when we factor all properties despite a 30 year head start.

marwash22
if the books don't count for HP considering they came before the movies, then that takes away $7.7b from the franchise total, dropping it down to $16.3b.

Robtard
We don't adjust for inflation. The only fair way is total dollars made in each category. Potter wins at the box office and collectively when we factor all properties despite a 30 year head start.

-made claim that you adjusted for inflation-

-proof shown that you didn't adjust for inflation-

-cry that we "don't adjust for inflation"-

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/7702/facepalmsd.jpg

Stop embarrassing yourself.

marwash22
also, George Lucas' net worth somehow got factored into that total for Star Wars... subtract that nonsense ($3.5b) and Star Wars is at $23.5b

marwash22
-make a claim that you adjusted for inflation-

Stop embarrassing yourself. in his defense, it was my claim. I was looking at two different sources and got mixed up.

Yeah, the $775m wasn't adjusted.

quanchi112
if the books don't count for HP considering they came before the movies, then that takes away $7.7b from the franchise total, dropping it down to $16.3b. The books count as does everything or its just movie dollar vs movie dollar. It has to be fair.

quanchi112
-made claim that you adjusted for inflation-

Stop embarrassing yourself. The websites don't do so which give this data. The website also doesn't factor in amusement park revenue.

Potter wins both ways.

laughing out loud

Does it just eat you alive ?

Robtard
in his defense, it was my claim. I was looking at two different sources and got mixed up.

Yeah, the $775m wasn't adjusted.

Which is fair enough if he had the balls to say "ah, okay, I see the error" after being shown he was wrong, but he goes on to embarrass himself further with "we don't adjust for inflation" now claims. Cos it ruins his "HP win!!!!1" ranting.

quanchi112
Which is fair enough if he had the balls to say "ah, okay, I see the error" after being shown he was wrong, but he goes on to embarrass himself with further "we don't adjust for inflation" now. Cos it ruins his "HP win!!!!1" ranting. HP wins going by the numbers anyway you slice it. It wasn't my claim anyways.

laughing out loud

Funny how everyone jumped all over Star Wars shit until I showed up.

Avada Kedavra.

Robtard
The websites don't do so which give this data. The website also doesn't factor in amusement park revenue.

Potter wins both ways.

laughing out loud

Does it just eat you alive ?

Now you're flipping back to "everything" and not just the movies cos you were wrong. Constant flips.

Harry Potter isn't at the top with the movies. The facts > you.

Show some theme park figures if you want to include that. Don't just make up shit like you usually do.

Why would being correct cos I can support my claims eat me up alive. What a silly question.

It's going to be hilarious watching you bandwagon onto Star Wars when the new films start coming out. "Oh yeah, I was #1 fan all along!"

quanchi112
Now you're flipping back to "everything" and not just the movies cos you were wrong.

Harry Potter isn't at the top with the movies. The facts > you.

Show some theme park figures if you want to include that. Don't just make up shit like you usually do.

Why would being correct cos I can support my claims eat me up alive? What a silly question. Based on the numbers it is. I can link you if you don't believe me.

The website incorrectly added Lucas net worth. Despite a 30 year difference Potter still wins.

How awesome is Harry Potter. Cream always rises to the top.

Robtard
Based on the numbers it is. I can link you if you don't believe me.

The website incorrectly added Lucas net worth. Despite a 30 year difference Potter still wins.

How awesome is Harry Potter. Cream always rises to the top.

Link away, gumbi,

This: It's going to be hilarious watching you bandwagon onto Star Wars when the new films start coming out. "Oh yeah, I was #1 fan all along!"

quanchi112
Link away.

This: It's going to be hilarious watching you bandwagon onto Star Wars when the new films start coming out. "Oh yeah, I was #1 fan all along!" I like Star Wars and want more fantasy movies of all kinds across the board. I prefer Potter by far but the potential with Star Wars is exciting.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/total-harry-potter-franchise-revenue/

http://www.statisticbrain.com/star-wars-total-franchise-revenue/

I have always favored magic even as a youth in Gauntlet I always picked the wizard over the shitty barbarian.

Robtard
I like Star Wars and want more fantasy movies of all kinds across the board. I prefer Potter by far but the potential with Star Wars is exciting.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/total-harry-potter-franchise-revenue/

http://www.statisticbrain.com/star-wars-total-franchise-revenue/

I have always favored magic even as a youth in Gauntlet I always picked the wizard over the shitty barbarian.

Stop lying, you hate Star Wars just as you hate DC. Anyhow.

Your sources tell me:

27b for SW
24b for HP

Simple math skills tell me SW > HP.

Now claim how the SW figures are just wrong on that site but correct for HP.

marwash22
same site i used. It's the one that didn't factor in inflation for Star Wars.

quanchi112
Stop lying, you hate Star Wars just as you hate DC. Anyhow.

Your sources tell me:

27b for SW
24b for HP

Simple math skills tell me SW > HP.

Now claim how the SW figures are just wrong on that site but correct for HP. They factored in Lucas net worth which pulls them under Potter even without the amusement park.

Subtract 3.6 billion from Star Wars as George Lucas net worth means shit here.

Potter wins.

Despite a 30 year start Potter still wins. Funny thing is I enjoy Star Wars I just prefer Harry Potter. One minute you claim I'll cling to Star Wars while the next you're saying I hate them. Make up your mind.

Robtard
same site i used. It's the one that didn't factor in inflation for Star Wars.

So it's even more in favor of Star Wars then. lol.

Funny thing, A New Hope beats the top HP flick is sales.

marwash22
Quan, what difference does the 30 year headstart make? It's not like the movies were in theaters for 30 years non-stop.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>