Last Good Marvel Event?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
After thinking long and hard, what was the last good event from Marvel? I'm talking a crossover with its own mini-series independent from ongoing series. I've enjoyed a lot of ongoing books and some of their crossover arcs, but really, I can't think of the last full fledged event I actually enjoyed.

Which is depressing.

Kazenji
So a Marvel event which had a mini series??

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Kazenji
So a Marvel event which had a mini series??

Yeah, so basically any of the following:

Age of Ultron
AvX
Fear Itself
Siege
Secret Invasion
Annihilation
Civil War
House of M

Obviously not limited to those.

JakeTheBank
Actually, I suppose I did like Spider-Island quite a bit now that I think of it.

curryman
Annihilation.

And I'm starting to fear that will be the last one they will ever make...

JakeTheBank
I liked Annihilation as well.

I have hopes Hickman can deliver with Infinity based on his work with SHIELD and Fantastic Four/FF. I just fear that Bendis will somehow have his hands in this given his role with the X-Franchises and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Kazenji
Yeah probably Spider-Island for me too

and maybe Everything Burns.

TheGodKiller
Annihilation, Civil War, Thanos Imperative.
Originally posted by Kazenji
and maybe Everything Burns.
I don't think that qualifies in this thread.

AlmightyKfish
Annihilation, Conquest, WoK and TI ranged from pretty good to awesome. (Conquest is definitely the weakest but it's still better than a lot of Earth events, and still had some great moments).

Would Messiah Complex/Second Coming count by this definition? They didn't have a mini but they were both huge events that spanned nearly every X-book. If so then those as well.

The amount of decompression in most of the events is something which stands against a lot of them, imo at least. House of M, Fear Secret Invasion, Fear Itself. AvX and Age of Ultron so far have all dragged on for too long and had issues where not a lot of happened and suffered for it. At least in the X-overs, despite the fact they went on for 10-12 issues, there was a lot happening in all of them and they never lost their momentum. Mean while Age of Ultron is 7 issues in and Ultron hasn't appeared...

-Pr-
Messiah Complex was barely average, imo, but that's me.

The last event I really enjoyed was either Annihilation or Civil War (even with the stupid ending and writer politics that plagued the latter).

AlmightyKfish
I always felt that Civil War was a good idea and has some nice moments, but suffers from the fact that a) Millar writes both Cap and Tony as unlikeable jerkasses and b) There was no real ambiguity as to who was right, one side had Captain America and the other recruited mass murderers, jailed people without trial and made a murderous clone of Thor.

Q99
Lesse, in X-men, I liked Second Coming.

Non-X-men, Thanos Imperative was pretty good too (though the first Annihilation was the best of the series of space events, none of them were bad!).

Two I haven't read- how were Chaos War and Age of X?

Damborgson
Civil war probably. Didn't get a chance to read spider-island

quanchi112
Annihilation
Thanos Imperative
Siege

HueyFreeman
annihilation and spider island. Bendis has horrible pacing in his events. Either nothing happens until the final issue or everything happens in the first two and it drags on for several issues.

Golgo13
The Onslaught saga.

curryman
Originally posted by Golgo13
The Onslaught saga.

That garbage?

Think we have to go a bit further back than that.

Bentley
The most recent must be Spider-Island.

the Darkone
Annihilation
Civil War
House of M
Annihilation: Conquest
Thor disassemble
Xmen Fatal Attraction
Galactic Storm
Blood and Thunder

quanchi112
Originally posted by Golgo13
The Onslaught saga. laughing out loud

Galan007
Definitely Annihilation. I cannot recall the last Marvel event where the tie-in issues/minis were just as good as the series itself.

Imo, Annihilation was a good as an event can get.

Darth Jello
I haven't gotten around to rereading Shadowland yet but Mutant Massacre and Fall of The Mutants, which along with all the preludes and sidebars really can be seen as one massive crossover arc, is pretty incredible and under-appreciated, even if it is kind of three different stories and some sidebars with some common themes, especially with the new trades. I mean it starts with the X-Men after just having had the shit kicked out of them by Nimrod and the Hellfire Club get hurt even worse by the Marauders to the point of going on the run across the country from them with X-Factor being hurt even worse on the inside and out. It ends with the X-Men sacrificing themselves to save reality while X-Factor scores the biggest PR victory for mutants ever by beating Apocalypse and his Horsemen over Central Park.
Meanwhile, Daredevil, Captain America, Power Pack and Thor have to clean up all their messes and collateral damage.

Cogito
Originally posted by Galan007
Definitely Annihilation. I cannot recall the last Marvel event where the tie-in issues/minis were just as good as the series itself.

Imo, Annihilation was a good as an event can get.

thumb up

It lacked just a little something I can't put my finger on, but it was 99% there

StyleTime
Annihilation all the way.

vince_slice
http://tosche-station.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/annihilation_prologue_vol_1_1_textless.jpg

dmills
Annihilation was lightning in a bottle imo. It's too bad that Joe Q was so street level oriented as EIC because (anecdotally) that series brought a lot of people back to comics who had all but abandoned the medium. Pretty much nothing will ever top it.

"Infinity" may or may not be good, but one thing for sure is if it all plays out with him seeking ultimate power etc again, it would mean Thanos ultimately had to go through a character regression in order to make it happen. That's no bueno IMO.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.