Most heroic ... villain?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bluewaterrider
A lot of doers of evil deeds actually have an amazing respect for human life. In fact, given true choice and power, they prove themselves willing to save and preserve it with the best of them.

What are the greatest instances of (at least temporary) face "turns", where a villain shows unexpected mercy or even outright altruism or self-sacrifice to save other people? Are these instances more common at Marvel Comics, as is commonly believed, or at the Distinguished Competition? Who are the most heroic or life-respecting/life-saving characters yet classed as villains in comicdom going by their actual history?

Back up your assertions with scans, if possible, please.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Submission: X-Men 190.

Kiss of Life. Mystique gives Iceman CPR

-Pr-
_n3A0CLjZUM

Oliver North
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Submission: X-Men 190.

Kiss of Life. Mystique gives Iceman CPR

that... isn't CPR...

bluewaterrider
mmm Knew I should have made that bigger so people could actually see the dialogue ...

SevenShackles
Catman.
http://www.rapsheet.co.uk/Images/Characters/Catman.jpg

Lord Feron
Doom.. When he went to Wakanda and faced the panther god. Doom has some bad methods of achieving his goals but his goals are in the end "good."

Lord Feron
Luthor is a good one to...

TheHulk
I like this idea of a thread

SamZED
Recent Ock comes to mind. Almost fries the earth then 10 issues later performs a surgical procedure to save a little girl he himself nearly killed earlier.

Oliver North
mmm Knew I should have made that bigger so people could actually see the dialogue ...

CPR = Cardiopulmonary resuscitation

also, c'mon that is a silly scene

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by SamZED
Recent Ock comes to mind. Almost fries the earth then 10 issues later performs a surgical procedure to save a little girl he himself nearly killed earlier.

I wouldn't call that a heroic villain trait/feat. Seems more like he was feeling bad/guilty for almost killing a little girl and that's against his morals? You know more about him than I do though so maybe he has no problem with killing children. Still I don't see fixing someone's own mistake as the most heroic trait or instance.

Blair Wind
DC Universe Online's entire comic book arc is about Luthor turning into a hero. I liked it and his portrayal of a hero who still carries his villain baggage/snark.

Flyattractor
A good chunk of Marvel Villians were once "heroic" enough to show their support for the U.S. after the 9/11 bombing..
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/villains36.jpg
It even made doom cry..
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/doom-crying.jpg

one of the stupidest comic book moments ever.

SamZED
Why would Magneto give a ats ass about a bunch of humans?

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
I wouldn't call that a heroic villain trait/feat. Seems more like he was feeling bad/guilty for almost killing a little girl and that's against his morals? You know more about him than I do though so maybe he has no problem with killing children. Still I don't see fixing someone's own mistake as the most heroic trait or instance. Maybe you're right. It's just few months ago he had no problem with eliminating 99% of earth's population, then he does that.

Digi
Originally posted by Flyattractor
A good chunk of Marvel Villians were once "heroic" enough to show their support for the U.S. after the 9/11 bombing..

one of the stupidest comic book moments ever.

...one of the stupidest comments ever.

Seriously, this was written solely for New York in the face of real-life tragedy. I don't think anyone was concerned about the canonicity of it, or how in character anyone was. That you are speaks to a profound lack of perspective and context.

TheHulk
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/villains36.jpg
It even made doom cry..
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/doom-crying.jpg

one of the stupidest comic book moments ever. This is the most stupidist thing I have ever seen....nothing can stress the fact...who is the stupid writer and what is this comic?

Digi
Originally posted by Digi

Originally posted by TheHulk
This is the most stupidist thing I have ever seen....nothing can stress the fact...who is the stupid writer and what is this comic?

...I-I may have been wrong. Let it never be said that I don't admit my mistakes.

Philosophía
Joker.

bluewaterrider

Why would Magneto humans?

Whether he calls or even consciously considers himself to be so, Magneto is decidely human and cares deeply about a great many people.

He loved his family, for instance.
But they died in the gas chambers.

He loved his daughter.
But she was slain by a Russian mob.

He loved his wife, Magda.
(I don't know what happened to her, unfortunately.)

Magneto BECAME Magneto precisely BECAUSE he cared for humans.
It was the anger he felt at the humans he loved being taken AWAY from him that led him to strike out.

Badabing
Originally posted by -Pr-
_n3A0CLjZUM thumb up

I'll submit Flash's rogues from the recent Flash arc. They helped save the city from Grodd's invasion.

CosmicComet

Seriously, this was written solely for New York in the face of real-life tragedy. I don't think anyone was concerned about the canonicity of it, or how in character anyone was. That you are speaks to a profound lack of perspective and context.

Does anyone find any deep meaning or comfort from such a cheesy gesture?

It was a terribly written mess, no matter the intent.

Seriously, try to entertain people and give them an escape from what they are dealing with. Not remind them of it, OH EVEN DOOM IS CRYING FOR UR LOSS IM SO SORRY11!11

Digi
Magneto's a decent choice. I mean, if they're too heroic they're not villains anymore, yeah? So there has to be a "yeah, but..." to each legit villain we might name as heroic.

SamZED

HueyFreeman
kid marvelman

Digi
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Does anyone find any deep meaning or comfort from such a cheesy gesture?

It was a terribly written mess, no matter the intent.

Seriously, try to entertain people and give them an escape from what they are dealing with. Not remind them of it, OH EVEN DOOM IS CRYING FOR UR LOSS IM SO SORRY11!11

Well, iirc proceeds went directly to the recovery. And I doubt it was intended as entertainment...people find solace in all kinds of things, and 90% of Marvel takes place in NYC anyway. It was an honest attempt to do something right.

Also, 99.99% of anyone ever aren't comic fanboys. They're not going to be personally insulted by Doom crying, in a comic removed from any other story arc, and created solely in remembrance of a tragedy. Also in a comic with about a dozen other things going on, where rescue workers are shown as the truest heroes. Was it cheesy? Sure. But my comment was directed at the nerd-rage that was probably ignorant of the context and just upset at a Doom characterization...which is about the last thing anyone reading the comic cared about. Some moments transcend mediums. Doom crying probably made sense to many reading the comic, who weren't a decade removed and on an internet comic forum.

I cried when I read it. Not because it was brilliant (it wasn't), but because the weight of the tragedy needed release. Because I knew people living in NYC who I didn't know if they were alive or dead for days, and couldn't do anything during that time. And I didn't feel nearly as scared or helpless as thousands of others. Anything that evoked those memories struck a chord with me. I doubt I thought twice about Doom crying. Who the **** cares? It's a money-raising love letter to a broken city.

bluewaterrider
?

I'm pretty sure your leg's being pulled here, but, as long as his name appeared in this thread, I WILL point out that Joker once DID save the life of Batman, albeit on the animated show, not any comic that I know of. It wasn't exactly heroism, though, more a point of pride.
Harley Quinn had somehow arranged to dip Batman into a tank of piranha. Joker put a stop to it, determined that no one should have the honor of taking down the Batman save for himself ...

Then again, I seem to recall now some episode where the Martian Manhunter forced him to be sane and Joker actually DID help someone out or avert some disaster. I'll have to review my collection to try and jog my memory ...

juggerman
I'm pretty sure your leg's being pulled here, but, as long as his name appeared in this thread, I WILL point out that Joker once DID save the life of Batman, albeit on the animated show, not any comic that I know of. It wasn't exactly heroism, though, more a point of pride.
Harley Quinn had somehow arranged to dip Batman into a tank of piranha. Joker put a stop to it, determined that no one should have the honor of taking down the Batman save for himself ...

I remember that episode. But you forgot that as Joker was letting Batman down he decided that having him at his mercy was too good to pass up. He started the "killing process" all over again but of course Batman escaped.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by juggerman

you forgot that as Joker was letting Batman down he decided that having him at his mercy was too good to pass up...

B-but he saved Batman from death at Harley's hand ...

sad

Well, Joker has the excuse of being crazy. If he were in his right mind, he'd have respect for life, not do the things he does.

Jack Napier (is that his real name? Or have they changed it again?) is, devoid of that madness, a decent human being.

Proof, arguably, occurs here:

bluewaterrider
The arguable point, is, of course, that it COULD be Martian Manhunter inadvertently, subconsciously "nudging" Jack to do the right thing here. I don't think that's it, but don't really know either way; I don't know exactly where this takes place, only that it DID take place in a published DC comic some years ago.

Flyattractor
LOBO was once a member of L.E.G.I.O.N an Intersteller Police agency and Etrigan the Demon was once the Good Guy from Hel! at least untill he ran for president with the intent of nuking Earth hell ,and heaven but I digress

bluewaterrider
Located the story those Joker scans came from:

JLA #15, Volume 1.
Circa 1998.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/JLA_Vol_1_15

JakeTheBank
Doom.
Magneto.

SevenShackles
Hasn't Baron Zemo(not WWII) been rather heroic despit being a villainous nazi?

JakeTheBank
Yeah, Zemo had an anti-heroic phase after the Thunderbolts got found out as the Masters of Evil.

juggerman
B-but he saved Batman from death at Harley's hand ...

laughing out loud Yes that is true. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong per se, i often remember bits and pieces of scenes but might not recall what happened seconds later, i was just letting you know there was a bit you forgot about/missed.

psycho gundam

Seriously, this was written solely for New York in the face of real-life tragedy. I don't think anyone was concerned about the canonicity of it, or how in character anyone was. That you are speaks to a profound lack of perspective and context. a little harsh

you know the deal; juggernaut is even their feeling shitty so it's just the industry paying respects, sort of like when a wrestler dies everyone "breaks character" and mourns

========================

ozymandias

Digi
Originally posted by psycho gundam
a little harsh

you know the deal; juggernaut is even their feeling shitty so it's just the industry paying respects, sort of like when a wrestler dies everyone "breaks character" and mourns

========================

ozymandias

Good analogy with the wrestling thing. Doesn't change my opinion though. The OP of it knew it was a 9/11 thing. Like I said, profound lack of perspective, as though the comment came from within a self-imposed bubble of semi-neurotic comic fandom.

pym-ftw
Thanos has been shown to be noble and honorable.

Flyattractor
Good analogy with the wrestling thing. Doesn't change my opinion though. The OP of it knew it was a 9/11 thing. Like I said, profound lack of perspective, as though the comment came from within a self-imposed bubble of semi-neurotic comic fandom. Funniest part of that pic is that Juggernaut is there and he technically knocked down one of the towers in one of his own apperances.

srankmissingnin
Gladiator. The Daredevil one.

curryman
Good analogy with the wrestling thing. Doesn't change my opinion though. The OP of it knew it was a 9/11 thing. Like I said, profound lack of perspective, as though the comment came from within a self-imposed bubble of semi-neurotic comic fandom.

Him disagreeing is a free pass to lay into him?

Greater tragedies taking place just about every day that remain largely ignored by comics. Wars are pretty much free-game when it comes to joking and ridiculing but 9/11's so sacred that he can't even dislike it? Come on...

^thumb up this right here is what was ridiculous about that comic, not the poor characterization of villains. it is merely a reflection of the writers' US centered moral universe though.

psycho gundam
You guys are just now noticing the nationalism in comics?

curryman
You guys are just now noticing the nationalism in comics?

No?

I'm sorry is the discussion locked down to the first decade where it started?

Oliver North
hold on

there is an American bias in comics???????????

You guys are just now noticing the nationalism in comics? no, we're just talking about it cause it came up like any other topic. no need to patronize us

psycho gundam
You just felt patronized. No apologies

Mindset
Doom.

Mindset
Well, iirc proceeds went directly to the recovery. And I doubt it was intended as entertainment...people find solace in all kinds of things, and 90% of Marvel takes place in NYC anyway. It was an honest attempt to do something right.

Also, 99.99% of anyone ever aren't comic fanboys. They're not going to be personally insulted by Doom crying, in a comic removed from any other story arc, and created solely in remembrance of a tragedy. Also in a comic with about a dozen other things going on, where rescue workers are shown as the truest heroes. Was it cheesy? Sure. But my comment was directed at the nerd-rage that was probably ignorant of the context and just upset at a Doom characterization...which is about the last thing anyone reading the comic cared about. Some moments transcend mediums. Doom crying probably made sense to many reading the comic, who weren't a decade removed and on an internet comic forum.

I cried when I read it. Not because it was brilliant (it wasn't), but because the weight of the tragedy needed release. Because I knew people living in NYC who I didn't know if they were alive or dead for days, and couldn't do anything during that time. And I didn't feel nearly as scared or helpless as thousands of others. Anything that evoked those memories struck a chord with me. I doubt I thought twice about Doom crying. Who the **** cares? It's a money-raising love letter to a broken city. The characterization of Doom isn't even really wrong.

If you take his entire character history, he is pretty bipolar when it comes to his reaction to the death of random/innocent people.

You just felt patronized. No apologies if you say so

Digi
Originally posted by curryman

Greater tragedies taking place just about every day that remain largely ignored by comics. Wars are pretty much free-game when it comes to joking and ridiculing but 9/11's so sacred that he can't even dislike it? Come on...

I was wondering when someone was going to play the "bigger tragedies..." card.

Of course there are bigger tragedies. All the time. That's not the point, and the actual point shouldn't even need explaining. It has to do with societal impact, which 9/11 undoubtedly had in a way none of us have experienced before or since in our lives (unless you were alive for, say, Pearl Harbor).

I said nothing about joking and ridiculing. He ignored the entire context and singled out Doom's comic characterization. That was stupid, given how it was presented. It makes as much sense as complaining about the Rock not being in his wrestling persona in a Good Morning America interview. New Yorkers and stand-up comics make 9/11 and other tragedy jokes all the time, and it's fine...you need to be able to laugh. I just pointed out that it was dumb to hold it to the same standard as other comics, given its purpose. And it is. Might as well yell at Doom for endorsing Hostess Twinkies in the 60's while we're at it.

Funniest part of that pic is that Juggernaut is there and he technically knocked down one of the towers in one of his own apperances.

See, this is quite amusing to me, because it detracts nothing from the comic but is something long-time comic readers might notice and see the irony in.

-Pr-
Hey, Doom'll ****ing murder a twinkie.

Raisen
Originally posted by Oliver North
hold on

there is an American bias in comics???????????

Of course there is. The vast majority of employees for Marvel and DC are from the U.S. Can you honestly tell me that if 911 happened in Cambodia, it would affect you the same way? You're lying to yourself if you say yes.

Mindset
Originally posted by curryman

Greater tragedies taking place just about every day that remain largely ignored by comics. Wars are pretty much free-game when it comes to joking and ridiculing but 9/11's so sacred that he can't even dislike it? Come on... You're obviously a commie.

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Raisen
Of course there is. The vast majority of employees for Marvel and DC are from the U.S. Can you honestly tell me that if 911 happened in Cambodia, it would affect you the same way? You're lying to yourself if you say yes.
He was being sarcastic...
wink

Mindset
Of course there is. The vast majority of employees for Marvel and DC are from the U.S. Can you honestly tell me that if 911 happened in Cambodia, it would affect you the same way? You're lying to yourself if you say yes. Wtf is a Cambodia?

Diesldude
Lex Luthor. He'd have been one of the greatest individuals in dcu if not for his jealousy of superman.

Raisen
Originally posted by Mindset
Wtf is a Cambodia?

STFU and put on you gay Lowes apron and cook me a god damn cheeseburger.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Diesldude
Lex Luthor. He'd have been one of the greatest individuals in dcu if not for his jealousy of superman.

That's what he likes to claim. I'm pretty sure he's just handling his man-crush pretty badly.

Oliver North

what a strange response...

Mindset
STFU and put on you gay Lowes apron and cook me a god damn cheeseburger. It's a vest...anyway, nice to have you back, Chomper.

Raisen
what a strange response...

Not really a strange response. I wrote that because I assumed you were on your usual high and mighty, anti-religion, anti-governmental horse. Remember when Quagmire finally told Brian exactly what he thought about him? That's kind of how I view you.

-Pr-
Not really a strange response. I wrote that because I assumed you were on your usual high and mighty, anti-religion, anti-governmental horse. Remember when Quagmire finally told Brian exactly what he thought about him? That's kind of how I view you.

Why so hostile?

Oliver North

do I know you?

Raisen
Originally posted by -Pr-
Why so hostile?

My bad. It's just the guy is kind of hard-headed and very intolerable of anything but his views. It's evident in other threads. He mocks subjects that are very integral to other people's lives. He is very passive aggressive also.

Raisen
do I know you?

I base this all off of your prior posts.

Oliver North
He is very passive aggressive also.

my aggression is anything but passive

I base this all off of your prior posts.

I have fans!

Mindset
lmao

Raisen
lmao

LOL. You just had to chime in

Mindset
lmao

tijay
Norman Osborn
He was actually trying to do something good but the Green Goblin ****ed tings up for him

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by tijay
Norman Osborn
He was actually trying to do something good but the Green Goblin ****ed tings up for him

Okay, this one you're going to have to back up.

I can see Doctor Doom, Magneto, even Silver Age Lex Luthor.

I do NOT see Norman Osborn having any heroic tendencies.

Give some visual proof, please.

tijay
have no scans but he was talking to himself saying that he was right because and i Quote "the wrong power is going to hit the wrong mutant" and everything will go BOOM basically

This was when he was in charge of the Avengers

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Lord Feron

Doom has some bad methods of achieving his goals but his goals are in the end "good."

Doom is a more noble character than many realize.

He's also probably saved more lives than people realize, regardless of the reason. One odd case in point, though I haven't isolated the book this came from ...

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by tijay
Norman Osborn

I believe he said that to make himself feel better and blame the fictional Goblin entity for everything.

ODG
Originally posted by ODG
Doom's sense of pride forces him to save Captain America's life in Super-Villain Team-Up #11:
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/DoomHonor03SVTU11.jpg

SamZED
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I believe he said that to make himself feel better and blame the fictional Goblin entity for everything. Fictioal? Ever since the movie came out they're doing the whole dual identity thing.

right but the goblin isnt a separate entity. it's his id

Kazenji
Sandman.

maxivitopowe
Bump

Raisen
ahhh. the fond memories

bluewaterrider
10% of me can't help but muse Marvel may have taken note.

Their inversion event converted nearly every villain into a hero for a brief time, iirc, but I don't have the books that comprise that arc, so I can't right now be sure.

One unexpected and remarkable heel "turn" that occurred since then, however, which may prove very hard to top, involves one Crusher Creel, bka the "Absorbing Man" ...

https://s7d6.turboimg.net/t1/37069937_image.jpg https://s7d6.turboimg.net/t1/37069938_image.jpg https://s7d6.turboimg.net/t1/37069939_image.jpg https://s7d6.turboimg.net/t1/37069940_image.jpg

Black Bolt #6 (2017)

cdtm
Edit: Did not read thread, but stand by him being a heroic villain in general.

Doom, of course.

He's not Darkseid, doing away with free will. Nor is he benefiting himself at everyone's expense. He's just an egoist who believes he can run things better then anybody else.

And in every alternate reality where he takes over the world, the world is better off for it.

quanchi112
Thanos. He saved all of reality. Nuff said.

darthgoober
It wasn't true for most of his existence, but in the end I'd say Skurge.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.