Thor's Strength Limit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deathlife
While it's obvious that Thor doesn't have infinite strength has he ever handled a weight that was too much for him to lift or struggled with in anyway.

I remember him pushing the World engine back with pure strength and that seemed to be close to an incalculable weight...

I'm curious as to what limit Marvel has imposed on his strength level.

the Darkone
I don't think Thor has a limit

Newjak
I think if Marvel were to define Thor's level of strength it would probably be comparable to but behind Hulk.

Oliver North
Thor has what I would call "plot device" strength. He is as strong or as weak as the plot requires him to be. Same with Hulk.

The difference is in the types of plots they come across. Thor faces enemies that can't always be beaten by strength alone, Hulk almost does exclusively. /imho

TheGodKiller
Building level(lower end) to moon level(high end). In terms of lifting/crushing feats.

Oliver North
Is there anything that Thor is consistently shown not to be strong enough to do?

Starscream M
Originally posted by Oliver North
Is there anything that Thor is consistently shown not to be strong enough to do? he's consistently not strong enough to physically deal with hulk

Oliver North
Originally posted by Starscream M
he's consistently not strong enough to physically deal with hulk

touche

the Darkone
Originally posted by Starscream M
he's consistently not strong enough to physically deal with hulk

Wrong, Thor stalemate the Hulk for hours in a test of strength and this was Savage Hulk who was getting stronger I mind you.

Zack Fair
Thor has what I would call "plot device" strength. He is as strong or as weak as the plot requires him to be. Same with Hulk.

The difference is in the types of plots they come across. Thor faces enemies that can't always be beaten by strength alone, Hulk almost does exclusively. /imho thumb up

-Pr-
Thor is strong enough to hurt high heralds without the hammer, but I wouldn't say he could reach the same heights as Hulk and Superman's higher feats of pure lifting strength.

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by -Pr-
Thor is strong enough to hurt high heralds without the hammer, but I wouldn't say he could reach the same heights as Hulk and Superman's higher feats of pure lifting strength.

yes

the Darkone

Why not?? He is the son of the a Elder God Gaea and the most powerful Sky Father in Odin, it's very plausible for Thor to reach or match Superman or Hulk in lifting, even though that's not his norm it's by no means out of his ability if he is written to do so.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by the Darkone
Why not?? He is the son of the a Elder God Gaea and the most powerful Sky Father in Odin, it's very plausible for Thor to reach or match Superman or Hulk in lifting, even though that's not his norm it's by no means out of his ability if he is written to do so. Because he is rarely shown doing shit like what Superman and Hulk do every 2 years.

-Pr-
Why not?? He is the son of the a Elder God Gaea and the most powerful Sky Father in Odin, it's very plausible for Thor to reach or match Superman or Hulk in lifting, even though that's not his norm it's by no means out of his ability if he is written to do so.

Writer portrayals.

Superman and Hulk are the benchmarks for pure strength in their respective universes. Sure, every so often there's a Hyperion or an Ultraman, but on a consistent basis, those two are the big dogs when it comes to strength feats.

the Darkone
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Because he is rarely shown doing shit like what Superman and Hulk do every 2 years.

I was asking PR opinion on the matter!

Granted Thor doesn't do it enough are written that way, that doesn't mean it's not within his ability depending on the story.

Zack Fair
I was asking PR opinion on the matter! http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lndswgG1Np1qch7pn.jpg

Granted Thor doesn't do it enough are written that way, that doesn't mean it's not within his ability depending on the story. You see I agree. That is why I thumb uped Oliver's post. Like I said I think Thor is capable, as a matter of fact I think high heralds are all capable. Their strength feats are so ridiculous you just can't rule them out. It just happens that Thor's plot has him doing other stuff(like oliver pointed out) more often than just strength feats like Hulk and Superman. I guess what I'm saying Thor has a greater range/arsenal to draw upon while Hulk and Superman's stories/plot demands are more limited.

I dunno if I'm making any sense.

curryman
Writer portrayals.

Superman and Hulk are the benchmarks for pure strength in their respective universes. Sure, every so often there's a Hyperion or an Ultraman, but on a consistent basis, those two are the big dogs when it comes to strength feats.

Really?

Give me a Hulk feat on par with Superman's consistent high.

Superman's stronger than Thor because he's regularly pulling feats that go beyond his. The same can't be said for Hulk.

Oliver North
awwwww yeah, a thread about Thor about to become Supes v Hulk!

-Pr-
Originally posted by curryman
Really?

Give me a Hulk feat on par with Superman's consistent high.

Superman's stronger than Thor because he's regularly pulling feats that go beyond his. The same can't be said for Hulk.

Not going to go there.

curryman
Not going to go there.

I understand your unwillingness, but it's a thread about Thor's limits. If you bring up the Hulk and Superman you know some shit's gonna go down stick out tongue

Oliver North
I understand your unwillingness, but it's a thread about Thor's limits. If you bring up the Hulk and Superman you know some shit's gonna go down stick out tongue

right, because there are members of this forum who are completely unable to hold any type of discussion that mentions Hulk or Superman without it turning into a penis measuring contest.

curryman
right, because there are members of this forum who are completely unable to hold any type of discussion that mentions Hulk or Superman without it turning into a penis measuring contest.

I get that, but this thread is purely a penis-measuring contest.

If not then it should have gone into the Comic Book Questions thread.

-Pr-

laughing out loud

My original point still stands, though. In Marvel, Hulk is the strongest. People can hurt him, but he'll always be the benchmark. In DC, it's Superman.

Thor's schtick isn't being super strong, so he'll never be written physically to the same extent as the others on a consistent basis. He'll still compete, and he'll seem hella impressive, but still.

Oliver North
I get that, but this thread is purely a penis-measuring contest.

I can't imagine how...

If not then it should have gone into the Comic Book Questions thread.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

curryman
I can't imagine how...
roll eyes (sarcastic)
Welcome to ignore.

laughing out loud

My original point still stands, though. In Marvel, Hulk is the strongest. People can hurt him, but he'll always be the benchmark. In DC, it's Superman.

Thor's schtick isn't being super strong, so he'll never be written physically to the same extent as the others on a consistent basis. He'll still compete, and he'll seem hella impressive, but still.
It's his thing but that doesn't mean the feats support him, and it still doesn't mean that there are people who are physically stronger than him.

Anyways, can you think of any limits? Most I see are fights and such.

carver9
awwwww yeah, a thread about Thor about to become Supes v Hulk!

His hate for Hulk is blinding him.

Oliver North
Welcome to ignore.

/so cute

Oliver North
Originally posted by carver9
His hate for Hulk is blinding him.

lol, its just funny to me because a) Pr's comment wasn't comparing the two's strength levels at all and b) Hulk is the exact same as Thor, in that, we don't have an absolute upper limit for their strength, so whether Hulk is stronger than Thor or not, it is irrelevant in finding what might be Thor's limit.

w/e, I'm probably just being pedantic again...

carver9
lol, its just funny to me because a) Pr's comment wasn't comparing the two's strength levels at all and b) Hulk is the exact same as Thor, in that, we don't have an absolute upper limit for their strength, so whether Hulk is stronger than Thor or not, it is irrelevant in finding what might be Thor's limit.

w/e, I'm probably just being pedantic again...

I agree with you 100%, I also agree with Pr...Hull and Superman are the embodiment of strength in their universe. Overpowering Superman physically is a ft that many would talk about. Overpowering Hulk for Marvel would be a ft that many would talk about. Thor doesn't get this appraisal but I still consider him a peer to both and just like you said, it depends on the story.

I just wanted to point out curry hate...he can't stand the Hulk but him hating a character should not cloud his judgment.

-Pr-
Welcome to ignore.

It's his thing but that doesn't mean the feats support him, and it still doesn't mean that there are people who are physically stronger than him.

Anyways, can you think of any limits? Most I see are fights and such.

not sure I know what you're getting at.

I agree with you 100%, I also agree with Pr...Hull and Superman are the embodiment of strength in their universe. Overpowering Superman physically is a ft that many would talk about. Overpowering Hulk for Marvel would be a ft that many would talk about. Thor doesn't get this appraisal but I still consider him a peer to both and just like you said, it depends on the story.

I just wanted to point out curry hate...he can't stand the Hulk but him hating a character should not cloud his judgment.

You really shouldn't talk about such things, especially with how you treated Superman.

Oliver North

thumb up

I suppose all I was trying for was a bad joke about how Hulk and Supes take a thread off topic often... like this post for instance /sigh

Damborgson
Thor is > savage Hulk initially more or less. He's an elite strongman.

Sin I AM

The difference is in the types of plots they come across. Thor faces enemies that can't always be beaten by strength alone, Hulk almost does exclusively. /imho

This should be the standard the forum goes by

-Pr-
Originally posted by Sin I AM

It is for certain characters; we just have to be more practical to make fights interesting.

"Hulk/Superman/Thor just gets stronger" isn't a really good argument.

Oliver North

It really only becomes relevant in a thread like this, if we are trying to put an upper limit on something that is limitless

it doesn't help at all if we want to ask something like, "is this one limitless character more or less limitless than this other limitless character?"

JakeTheBank
To paraphase what Marvel once said in a letters column, "Hulk is the strongest there is, Thor is the mightiest of Earth's Mightiest Heroes."

Basically, how I interpret that is that Hulk is the benchmark for physical strength in Marvel, whereas Thor is the guy when it comes to power output and generally tackling the high end threats/enemies. I believe Thor definitely has a limit, though, but generally said limit tends to be catered to the parameters of the story.

-Pr-
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
To paraphase what Marvel once said in a letters column, "Hulk is the strongest there is, Thor is the mightiest of Earth's Mightiest Heroes."

Basically, how I interpret that is that Hulk is the benchmark for physical strength in Marvel, whereas Thor is the guy when it comes to power output and generally tackling the high end threats/enemies. I believe Thor definitely has a limit, though, but generally said limit tends to be catered to the parameters of the story.

Pretty much.

Rao Kal El
Hulk is the strongest one, Thor is the most powerful, not the strongest.

Superman is both stick out tongue

Seriously, I think Oliver post is the one that will describe Thor's strenght the best.

Also I agree that hulk sometimes does not get the recognition of being the strongest one in marvel, something that it seems they have been correcting lately.

I believe Hulk is becoming the benchmark in strenght in MU.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Hulk is the strongest one, Thor is the most powerful, not the strongest.

Superman is both stick out tongue

Seriously, I think Oliver post is the one that will describe Thor's strenght the best.

Also I agree that hulk sometimes does not get the recognition of being the strongest one in marvel, something that it seems they have been correcting lately.

I believe Hulk is becoming the benchmark in strenght in MU.

I love hulk. But my issue with him especially under pak was he didn't have a limit. And I hate that about characters. There needs to be a belief that they can be defeated, that there's a strong possibility that they could lose. That makes them relatable

carver9
not sure I know what you're getting at.

You really shouldn't talk about such things, especially with how you treated Superman.

Lol...out of that entire post, thats the only thing you saw. I give Superman credit where it is due.

I would love to add to the above post but I am going to leave that alone because I dont want to get a warning.

-Pr-
Lol...out of that entire post, thats the only thing you saw. I give Superman credit where it is due.

I would love to add to the above post but I am going to leave that alone because I dont want to get a warning.

Only now you do, because the fear finally set in.

carver9

Lol...not fear...I'm just playing it smart. When it comes to my posts, I don't get away with a lot. All in all, its best to lose a battle every now and then

-Pr-
You spelled "every damn time" wrong.

carver9
You spelled "every damn time" wrong.

Sigh*

h1a8
IMO Thor average portrayal limits should be somewhere around the high hundreds of tons to the thousands of tons.
His high end limits (rare showings) should be somewhere around the hundreds of millions of tons.

Rao Kal El
I love hulk. But my issue with him especially under pak was he didn't have a limit. And I hate that about characters. There needs to be a belief that they can be defeated, that there's a strong possibility that they could lose. That makes them relatable

I can see your point, but for example. What is the part of being related to you , you like the most?

Some might relate to that inner rage that might push them to not being able to loose.

Thor has mjolnir, hulk has his strength.

I do think that undefeatable characters are booring, but hulk was far from it, even under pak's run.

the Darkone
Originally posted by Zack Fair
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lndswgG1Np1qch7pn.jpg
You see I agree. That is why I thumb uped Oliver's post. Like I said I think Thor is capable, as a matter of fact I think high heralds are all capable. Their strength feats are so ridiculous you just can't rule them out. It just happens that Thor's plot has him doing other stuff(like oliver pointed out) more often than just strength feats like Hulk and Superman. I guess what I'm saying Thor has a greater range/arsenal to draw upon while Hulk and Superman's stories/plot demands are more limited.

I dunno if I'm making any sense.

I agree with what you just said 100%, Thor is more versatile than Superman and Hulk and can do a lot more, strength can't be the only deciding factor.

Rao Kal El

I think carver is finally learning to respect superman.

abhilegend
On average, city lifting level.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
I can see your point, but for example. What is the part of being related to you , you like the most?

Some might relate to that inner rage that might push them to not being able to loose.

Thor has mjolnir, hulk has his strength.

I do think that undefeatable characters are booring, but hulk was far from it, even under pak's run.

The problems with characters like Hulk/Superman/Thor/SS is that writers have to put them into situations where they cant when, where their powers just arent enough to beat a certain villian

Rao Kal El
The problems with characters like Hulk/Superman/Thor/SS is that writers have to put them into situations where they cant when, where their powers just arent enough to beat a certain villian

I can see the point. The "goku effect" can be enjoyable if ptesented properly.

pym-ftw
As strong as he needs to be, but probably below Kal & Bruce at their highest.

curryman
I believe Thor definitely has a limit, though, but generally said limit tends to be catered to the parameters of the story.

How is this any different from the Hulk?

carver9
Hulk within the past 5 to 6, probably 8 yrs...his strength has been consistent.

Oliver North
as much as this will make me sound like a pompous dick, I'm amazed by how much agreement there is in this thread.

I haven't been this frequent of a poster in the vs forum for a few years... it looks like stuff might have finally settled down to a consensus on the Hulk/Thor/Supes thing, at least to some degree...

-Pr-
Hulk within the past 5 to 6, probably 8 yrs...his strength has been consistent.

What? No it hasn't. He's gone up and down like a yoyo. Sure, he never went below High herald, but still.

JakeTheBank
How is this any different from the Hulk?

Well, Thor's strength isn't his primary power nor does it have a "cap" that only increases over emotional duress. I don't think Hulk has "infinite strength", but his potential only climbs higher and higher and higher as his anger (ie. plot) demands.

carver9
Thor should be able to do what any high Herald is capable of doing strength wise. Haven't seen a cap on his strength yet.

curryman
Well, Thor's strength isn't his primary power nor does it have a "cap" that only increases over emotional duress. I don't think Hulk has "infinite strength", but his potential only climbs higher and higher and higher as his anger (ie. plot) demands.

Okay, I see the difference in that Thor doesn't have established limits where as Hulk has a limit that increases. But for all intents and purposes it just means that they're as strong as the plot demands.

Why is then Hulk always considered as strong as his maximum has allowed maybe once or twice where as Thor operate under a much more reasonable set of rules, where feats determine his capabilities. Sure he has a few incidents of fighting mid-heralds and high heralds (who are either gimped or holding back) but even when you, against all logic, would consider those fights his average then you still can't overlook the fact that these are levels he has to work to reach.

Superman and Thor stop holding back, the Hulk however needs to build up his anger. The Hulk is almost always giving it everything he's got (let Pak's retarded statement lie for a little while) where as Thor and Superman are actively not using their full powers. When they go all out then they suddenly fly into trans+++

"Id"

Or Lobo
Or Mr. Majestic

Oliver North
where as Hulk has a limit that increases.

when has Hulk been shown to have a consistent limit?

TheHulk
I don't think Thor has a limit You really are just a fanboy eh sad

TheHulk
Again the question. Why isn't Curryman banned yet? evil face

the Darkone
Originally posted by TheHulk
You really are just a fanboy eh sad

I know of all people you are not calling somebody fanboy, your the King fanboy.

If we go by feats, Thor doesn't have any cap on strength and that's fact. Marvel writers will Thor, Hulk as strong as they need to be, its not out the realm of possible ability of Thor matching either Hulk or Superman in lifting. And that goes for Captain Marvel, ORion Majestic also!!

TheHulk
If we go by feats, Thor doesn't have any cap on strength and that's fact. Marvel writers will Thor, Hulk as strong as they need to be, its not out the realm of possible ability of Thor matching either Hulk or Superman in lifting. And that goes for Captain Marvel, ORion Majestic also!!

facepalm If that's the case, every character in comic history has unlimited strength

-Pr-
Again the question. Why isn't Curryman banned yet? evil face

Shush.

Oliver North
facepalm If that's the case, every character in comic history has unlimited strength

not really, no

many characters have very well established limits in their strength

Spider-Man might be tough to nail down exactly, but nobody thinks he is pushing 50 tons (at least last I checked)

TheHulk
not really, no

many characters have very well established limits in their strength

Spider-Man might be tough to nail down exactly, but nobody thinks he is pushing 50 tons (at least last I checked) No. it's plain and simple. He thinks strength depends on writers(which is true in a way) we might as well accept every character has unlimited strength, no matter what your definition of unlimited strength is.

TheHulk
Shush. stick out tongue

carver9
I agree with Oliver North.

TheHulk
I agree with Oliver North. I'm starting to think you all are taking this the wrong way....

Eel O'Brien
Strength can fluctuate based on writer, but most characters have general limits- like Oliver said.

It seems that the High Herald level is where strength caps are left deliberately vague.

I don't think Thor matches a character like Superman based on historical feats, but I wouldn't be surprised if I read a comic where Thor busted out some feat that trumped Superman, Hulk and anyone else.

Thor, Hulk, Superman, Hyperion, etc. will typically be just as strong as they need to be.

ODG
Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
Strength can fluctuate based on writer, but most characters have general limits- like Oliver said.

It seems that the High Herald level is where strength caps are left deliberately vague.

I don't think Thor matches a character like Superman based on historical feats, but I wouldn't be surprised if I read a comic where Thor busted out some feat that trumped Superman, Hulk and anyone else.

Thor, Hulk, Superman, Hyperion, etc. will typically be just as strong as they need to be. This is probably the smartest approach to take. Based on comics.

the Darkone
Originally posted by ODG
This is probably the smartest approach to take. Based on comics.

100% concur thumb up, Because we don't see Thor doing as much as his peers doesn't mean they he can't, if a story needs Thor to hold up Earth weight or resist the weight of neutron star or a score of plants they will make it happen, him or any herald level character.

armedforbattle
Like others said
Hulk and Superman are the strength guys...

Thors high end feats are usually more energy related.

zopzop
Originally posted by armedforbattle
Like others said
Hulk and Superman are the strength guys...

Thors high end feats are usually more energy Mjolnir related.
thumb up

armedforbattle
Originally posted by zopzop
thumb up

sneer

pym-ftw
Originally posted by zopzop
thumb up
That's like saying most Superman feats involve him wearing a cape.

zopzop
Originally posted by pym-ftw
That's like saying most Superman feats involve him wearing a cape.
Sure if "The Cape" was used as an almost indestructible shield, absorbs all sorts of energy, discharges all sorts of energy, allows him to fly at FTL speeds, enhances his striking power (all his best striking feats are with that hammer), transmutes matter, allows him to teleport between dimensions, and is basically a plot device that comes up with whatever power is needed to beat the villain.

If Superman's Cape does all that, sign me up for one.

gogogadgetgo
Taking all of Thor's showings into consideration from past to present, IMO, his best strength feats are the World Engine feat and the resisting infinite gravity feat, which again IMO = bunch of crap.

Thor's lifting strength limit is about barely lifting the 1/3 the weight of the earth a few inches from the ground. Why so? coz thast what I think ahahahahaha

Stoic
Originally posted by gogogadgetgo
Taking all of Thor's showings into consideration from past to present, IMO, his best strength feats are the World Engine feat and the resisting infinite gravity feat, which again IMO = bunch of crap.

Thor's lifting strength limit is about barely lifting the 1/3 the weight of the earth a few inches from the ground. Why so? coz thast what I think ahahahahaha

Earlier on in this thread, it was mentioned that Thor's strength like Superman, and the Hulk's depends on the story, and that he could pretty much lift anything if needed to. This is something that I fully agree with; For example, Orion was said to be a peer to Superman, and Darkseid in strength, and yet he was overcome by a large block of lead when battling Firestorm several years ago.

gogogadgetgo
Originally posted by Stoic
Earlier on in this thread, it was mentioned that Thor's strength like Superman, and the Hulk's depends on the story, and that he could pretty much lift anything if needed to. This is something that I fully agree with; For example, Orion was said to be a peer to Superman, and Darkseid in strength, and yet he was overcome by a large block of lead when battling Firestorm several years ago.

Sure, as long as the weight of the "thing" he is trying to lift isn't equivalent to the weight of the earth, then sure, he can lift it.

Its true for Superman and probably Hulk, that when the need arises, both of them can lift anything from the weight of the earth to the weight of 100 earths or something. But the same can't be said for Thor.

I love Thor more than most and he may be in the same weight class as Superman and Hulk in the strength department. But when it comes to pure raw lifting abilities, Superman and Hulk outclasses him.

But if the scenario calls for busting things, Thor can pretty much bust anything Superman and Hulk can, and with the help of his mighty urru hammer Mjolnire, he can surpass Hulk and probably even Superman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.