Ultron vs Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Damborgson
http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/122/1224129/avengers-20120502090142855.jpg

vs

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1793575-thanos_02.jpeg

Busiek age adamantium Ultron vs Thanos. Who wins?

pym-ftw
Thanos

ozz81
Yeah probably thanos

carver9
Ultron.

pym-ftw
Originally posted by carver9
Ultron.
I gotta ask how?

carver9
Originally posted by pym-ftw
I gotta ask how?

His durability should be enough to withstand anything Thanos brought to the table and his blasting power should be enough to drop Thanos in due time. Thanos would make it challenging but in the end, he would lose.

pym-ftw
Thanos if by far stronger than anyone Ultron has taken hits from, and in all honesty Thor probably has bearer blasting power than Ultron

carver9
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Thanos if by far stronger than anyone Ultron has taken hits from, and in all honesty Thor probably has bearer blasting power than Ultron

Thanos is strong but I don't think he's stronger than everyone Ultron has faced. Also, how is Thanos breaching Ultron Adamantium shell???

I honestly don't see how Thanos is winning this without some sort of prep before the battle.

Branlor Swift
His durability should be enough to withstand anything Thanos brought to the table and his blasting power should be enough to drop Thanos in due time. Thanos would make it challenging but in the end, he would lose. Funny thing is Thanos has taken shots from Odin, Galactus, Omega, Cosmic Cube, the IG, etc without getting KO'ed. When we know Cap's shield/Adamantium's breaking point is Skyfather level...

I'd also wager Thanos is more powerful than Zeus' bird. And it's not completely out of the realm of ordinary to see Thanos being able to destroy/damage Adamantium considering his feats. Matching In-Betweener trying to break out, damaging Galactus, overpowering the Maker, etc.

Really, he's the guy with the stones to accomplish destroying that amount of adamantium if anyone under Serpent is going to do it.

TheGodKiller
Thanos is strong but I don't think he's stronger than everyone Ultron has faced.
With the exception of Franklin Richards, who else has Ultron faced that is stronger than or as strong as Thanos?

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
With the exception of Franklin Richards, who else has Ultron faced that is stronger than or as strong as Thanos? Galactus

That ended even worse than Franklin though...

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Galactus

That ended even worse than Franklin though...
Tbf, that was a weaker version of Ultron facing a weakened Galactus.

The common thing in both is that Ultron got one-shotted. I doubt that Thanos would get beaten so quickly when facing either.

ODG
^ A more powerful version no-sold the combined attack of Kang's army in the future. One that included Surfer, Quasar, Doom, Captain Marvels, Magneto, Doom, etc.

TheGodKiller
Was that version similar to Omega Ultron?

tkitna
Thanos laughs at blasts from the Silver Surfer. Ultron has nothing on that. If Thanos doesnt just blast Ultron and destroy his insides, i'd be willing to bet that the unbreakable adamantium myth would come to an end.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by ODG
^ A more powerful version no-sold the combined attack of Kang's army in the future. One that included Surfer, Quasar, Doom, Captain Marvels, Magneto, Doom, etc.
Btw, is mentioning Doom twice a typo, or were there really 2 versions of Doom in that battle? I didn't read that story, so you'll have to clarify.

Also, if these characters were alternate future selves of the traditional Surfer, Quasar, Doom, Mar-vell etc. then doesn't that put a question mark on their power levels compared to the regular present day 616-characters?

Odekahn
Thanos wins the first battle or two, Ultron wins the war.

ODG
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Btw, is mentioning Doom twice a typo, or were there really 2 versions of Doom in that battle? I didn't read that story, so you'll have to clarify.

Also, if these characters were alternate future selves of the traditional Surfer, Quasar, Doom, Mar-vell etc. then doesn't that put a question mark on their power levels compared to the regular present day 616-characters? One can never mention Doom too many times.

I'm sure they were hobbled future versions of themselves that amount to less than half the power of the true ones.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by ODG
I'm sure they were hobbled future versions of themselves that amount to less than half the power of the true ones.
Fair enough. Though that does lead one to wonder how regular Ultron would fare against Thanos.

TheLordofMurder
Funny thing is Thanos has taken shots from Odin, Galactus, Omega, Cosmic Cube, the IG, etc without getting KO'ed. When we know Cap's shield/Adamantium's breaking point is Skyfather level...

I'd also wager Thanos is more powerful than Zeus' bird. And it's not completely out of the realm of ordinary to see Thanos being able to destroy/damage Adamantium considering his feats. Matching In-Betweener trying to break out, damaging Galactus, overpowering the Maker, etc.

Really, he's the guy with the stones to accomplish destroying that amount of adamantium if anyone under Serpent is going to do it.

Bah...hasnt Thanos already failed to damage Captain America's shield?

You guys give Thanos way too much credit around here...

golem370
Thanos has withstood attacks from Odin Tyrant & Maker which shows he can take damage as well.

zopzop
Thanos

h1a8
Good fight.
I say Ultron though.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder

You guys give Thanos way too much credit around here... Which is harder than adamantium.

And a weakened Thanos didn't destroy Cap's shield with a double hand punch. That proves all out full powered Thanos would fail to damage adamantium... even though Morlun, Hulk, Zeus' bird, and other random shit have damaged it.

ODG
^ If it makes you feel better, I believe Thanos could not only tear adamantium string netting, but at least dent an old version of Ultron at the cost of being crippled for days.

biscuits

Branlor Swift
Thanos is more durable than adamantium.

I went there

ODG
Thanos is more durable than adamantium.

I went there If he were, Wolverine shouldn't have been able to stab an amped Thanos.

I went there

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
If he were, Wolverine shouldn't have been able to stab an amped Thanos.

I went there Thanos allowed it because Wolverine needs a glimmer of hope in his life

Although
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/OdinBorson/King%20Thor/KingThor.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk109/DRDOOMSDAY-360/marvel%20universe/Thanos/OdinVsThanos9.jpg

vince_slice
Everyone knows that Wolverine's claws > IG.

ODG
By my estimation, that alternate reality Wolverine would have split Thanos down the middle from brains to balls lady parts.

golem370
Thanos imo would win

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
By my estimation, that alternate reality Wolverine would have split Thanos down the middle from brains to balls lady parts. 616 Wolverine couldn't even free himself from coral.

But, replace Wolverine with Serpent and Cap's shield and you get the same result.

Thanos > all

Supra
Cool thread, would be an awesome fight. Wish there was a VS. Movie company that would make this shit real for us.

ODG
616 Wolverine couldn't even free himself from coral.

But, replace Wolverine with Serpent and Cap's shield and you get the same result.

Thanos > all Between all the lines of silliness, I don't get the Serpent comment. Wolverine's never even so much as scratched Cap's shield.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
Between all the lines of silliness, I don't get the Serpent comment. Wolverine's never even so much as scratched Cap's shield. Just that Thanos faired better than Cap's shield did. Which is millions of times more durable than Wolverine.

Possibly billions.

ODG
Just that Thanos faired better than Cap's shield did. Which is millions of times more durable than Wolverine.

Possibly billions. Only if you ignore him being stabbed by Wolverine... which is basically the only common attack they have between em with a clear winner????

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
Only if you ignore him being stabbed by Wolverine... which is basically the only common attack they have between em with a clear winner???? Full power IG Thanos got his head blown off by Quasar.

Shit happened only because of Thanos being a joker, and the IG being a key for the heroes to do whatever they wanted since he couldn't lose.

ODG
^ So in-between moments of amping himself and murdering heroes, he willed himself to be weaker to mess around with Wolverfag?

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
^ So in-between moments of amping himself and murdering heroes, he willed himself to be weaker to mess around with Wolverfag? Yes.

Are we of the opinion that this loser can stab Thanos if he's not allowing it?
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/002-X-Men90.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/04.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/05.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/12.jpg

ODG
^ If Thanos doesn't allow it (as in he defends himself), it ain't happening. Then again, that doesn't necessarily mean Thanos actually weakened his own durability to let it happen.

It's one thing to point and laugh about it being PIS. It's another to find an attenuated in-story reason for it that isn't even so much as hinted within the four corners of that comic.

If I had as high an estimation of Thanos' piercing durability as you, I would find this explanation to be arguable though.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
^ If Thanos doesn't allow it (as in he defends himself), it ain't happening. Then again, that doesn't necessarily mean Thanos actually weakened his own durability to let it happen.

It's one thing to point and laugh about it being PIS. It's another to find an attenuated in-story reason for it that isn't even so much as hinted within the four corners of that comic.

If I had as high an estimation of Thanos' piercing durability as you, I would find this explanation to be arguable though. Thanos allowed it. Also upgrades

Thanos faired better than adamantium and Cap's shield against similar attacks, and vastly more powerful attacks. Thanos > Adamantium

TheLordofMurder
Thanos > Adamantium

Oh really?

Adamantium>>>Thanos!

Branlor Swift
Wolverine's claws went back into his forearms as he rammed at Thanos. Prove me wrong.

ODG
Cap's shield is more durable than Thanos. Adamantium is probably more durable than Thanos too, since y'know... it poked holes in him despite Wolverine's girly arms. His forcefields are a different matter.

celeyhyga17

You guys give Thanos way too much credit around here...
His laundry list of own has something to say about that.
stick out tongue

Branlor Swift
I'm glad we all agree that Thanos > Ultron

And that Wolverine never stabbed Thanos.

Odekahn

We don't.

He did.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Odekahn
We don't.

He did. being serious for a second, how do you see Ultron as above Thanos?

I mean Daredevil beat iirc an adamantium Ultron...

Odekahn
being serious for a second, how do you see Ultron as above Thanos?

I mean Daredevil beat iirc an adamantium Ultron...

Being serious, I don't. I do think he's in the same league though when he's at his best, and I think eventually he will evolve past even thanos.

Branlor Swift
Basis?

Odekahn
Basis?

For him being in the same league or eventually evolving past thanos?

Branlor Swift
For him being in the same league or eventually evolving past thanos? everything

Odekahn
everything

I would put Ultron in the mid trans range. Thanos being in the high trans range is higher but still in the same league (trans). And Ultron is ever evolving and growing in intelligence. His tech and resources will increase. He will ever advance and he evolves so much faster than organics. His eventual victory is inevitable.

curryman
I would put Ultron in the mid trans range. Thanos being in the high trans range is higher but still in the same league (trans). And Ultron is ever evolving and growing in intelligence. His tech and resources will increase. He will ever advance and he evolves so much faster than organics. His eventual victory is inevitable.

So he'd evolve past Odin and Gaea?

He evolves faster than organics but is still a joke compared to higher-end mutants?

Branlor Swift
I would put Ultron in the mid trans range. Thanos being in the high trans range is higher but still in the same league (trans). And Ultron is ever evolving and growing in intelligence. His tech and resources will increase. He will ever advance and he evolves so much faster than organics. His eventual victory is inevitable. oh, I thought you'd have feats

Ultron evolving is irrelevant to a thread. And funny to bring up seeing as Thanos' whole thing is powering himself up which both permanent and not have far surpassed the likes of anything Ultron's ever done

Odekahn
Originally posted by curryman
So he'd evolve past Odin and Gaea?

He evolves faster than organics but is still a joke compared to higher-end mutants?

He's taken over the earth.

curryman
He's taken over the earth.

So has Kang and many others. Beating Asgard is a prerequisite for taking over Earth.

Do you think Ultron would go past Odin and Gaea?

Odekahn
oh, I thought you'd have feats

Ultron evolving is irrelevant to a thread. And funny to bring up seeing as Thanos' whole thing is powering himself up which both permanent and not have far surpassed the likes of anything Ultron's ever done

Feats for what? Being a trans level character? And ultrons evolution is part of what he is. It's what keeps him coming back bigger and badder each time. When talking about one character vs another, that's relevant.

Odekahn
Originally posted by curryman
So has Kang and many others. Beating Asgard is a prerequisite for taking over Earth.

Do you think Ultron would go past Odin and Gaea?

I think it would probably take millennia for Ultron to get to that point, but eventually, yes.

Branlor Swift
Feats for what? Being a trans level character? And ultrons evolution is part of what he is. It's what keeps him coming back bigger and badder each time. When talking about one character vs another, that's relevant. being on Thanos' level

This is a specific Ultron though. Even if it wasn't, his most powerful appearance was several years ago. And he then downgraded. That's not constantly evolving in power, just character. Which isn't relevant

And Thanos' first couple of appearances had him blowing up suns with equipment and destroying a planet in his literal first appearance, hell he bashed two planets together with a massive nuke that took out Galactus and a dimension eater in Hunger
Directed at you talking about taking over Earth, since we apparently don't care about anything but prep

TheLordofMurder

thumb down

Only in you and Quanchi's wet dreams...

TheLordofMurder
We don't.

He did.

thumb up

Common Sense for the win! smile

TheHulk
Thanos 7/10

ODG
being serious for a second, how do you see Ultron as above Thanos?

I mean Daredevil beat iirc an adamantium Ultron... He was adamantium. Ultron-13 was also schizophrenic because Doom programmed him with all previous 12 personalities on top of each other. Which led to Ultron-13 falling in love, tormenting itself with conflicting desires, opening its chassis panels and pulling itself apart at the joints.

With his own head pulled off and neck cables exposed, Daredevil and Karnak managed to sever the remaining wires and decapitate it.

Basically it destroyed itself.

Bentley
Basically Daredevil destroyed it. Basically Doom is sh_tty at hacking robots.

ODG
Originally posted by Bentley
Basically Daredevil destroyed it. Basically Doom is sh_tty at hacking robots. Basically Kang prepped to such an extent that he broke the time-space continuum and still couldn't beat Ultron, who had to allow himself to be destroyed.

That's pretty awful. Even by Kang standards.

leonidas
well, not sure how anyone win this fight tbh. i think both are durable enough to withstand the offensive capability of the other. thanos' offensive>ultron imo, but ultron's durability>thanos' imo. without some plot help for one, i'm not sure how either could possibly take out the other in a ring-style forum match....

zopzop
Originally posted by leonidas
thanos' offensive>ultron imo
thumb up

does........not.........compute..........tv_horror

Bentley
Originally posted by ODG
Basically Kang prepped to such an extent that he broke the time-space continuum and still couldn't beat Ultron, who had to allow himself to be destroyed.

That's pretty awful. Even by Kang standards.

Kang wanted to best Ultron by warfare, obviously Ultron was incapable of besting Kang since it had to shut itself and Kang was alive and well, retrying his warfare everytime. If Kang really wanted to beat Ultron at all costs he'd have, but he'd rather bust the universe and continue playing his videogames with Robo here by warfaring crazy.

About the awful part I only have one word to say about it: Bendis.

ODG
Kang wanted to best Ultron by warfare, obviously Ultron was incapable of besting Kang since it had to shut itself and Kang was alive and well, retrying his warfare everytime. If Kang really wanted to beat Ultron at all costs he'd have, but he'd rather bust the universe and continue playing his videogames with Robo here by warfaring crazy.

About the awful part I only have one word to say about it: Bendis. You do know that the reason the timestream was broken was Kang kept trying to beat Ultron, lost, came back with another army, lost, over and over again until the timestream broke, right?

leonidas
Originally posted by zopzop

thumb up

does........not.........compute..........tv_horror

nice. lol i know, i know, thinking adamantium>thanos may not seem all that logical. guess i'm just funny that way.

zopzop
nice. lol i know, i know, thinking adamantium>thanos may not seem all that logical. guess i'm just funny that way.
You think Ultron's adamantium body could've withstood that Gungnir channeled blast Odin unleashed on Thanos?

Branlor Swift
thumb down

Only in you and Quanchi's wet dreams... Don't you have some Thanos angst and wrist cutting sessions to attend to?

Bentley
Originally posted by ODG
You do know that the reason the timestream was broken was Kang kept trying to beat Ultron, lost, came back with another army, lost, over and over again until the timestream broke, right?

Sure, he was trying again and again to beat that pesky AI, like a kid playing a videogame. He's one stubborn player that Kang.

But in all those wars, for all his technopathy and technology powerful enough to casually tank several heralds, Ultron never killed Kang, nor did it manage to stop him from messing with the timestream, when Ultron realized the full extent of the situation the only solution it could come up with was to shut itself down.

Because there is no way Ultron can actually take on Kang 131

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
He was adamantium. Ultron-13 was also schizophrenic because Doom programmed him with all previous 12 personalities on top of each other. Which led to Ultron-13 falling in love, tormenting itself with conflicting desires, opening its chassis panels and pulling itself apart at the joints.

With his own head pulled off and neck cables exposed, Daredevil and Karnak managed to sever the remaining wires and decapitate it.

Basically it destroyed itself. You think that bodes well?

Thanos pulls Ultron's head off

Also, DD kept tanking attacks.

Mindship
Originally posted by tkitna
Thanos laughs at blasts from the Silver Surfer. Ultron has nothing on that. That's what I was thinking. I don't remember Surfer and Ultron ever fighting. Offhand, I don't even recall an SS/Ult VS thread.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Ultron has taken some serious blows from Mjolnir in stride. He can definitely replicate no-selling some blasts from Surfer.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Yes but can he no sell blasts from Thanos is the real question? I saw his high high end sure, maybe. Average showings.. nah.. I see him being put down.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Ultron has taken some serious blows from Mjolnir in stride. He can definitely replicate no-selling some blasts from Surfer. I see a Godblast crushing Ultron though.

Or Thor going completely out.

Surfer would have to unload some huge normal attacks to have any luck. Luckily he's not all just about raw power, but yeah.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Yes but can he no sell blasts from Thanos is the real question? I saw his high high end sure, maybe. Average showings.. nah.. I see him being put down.

Why are you comparing no selling a random blast from Surfer to no selling a blast from Thanos?

I see a Godblast crushing Ultron though.

Or Thor going completely out.

Surfer would have to unload some huge normal attacks to have any luck. Luckily he's not all just about raw power, but yeah.

Yeah, I guess.

It's funny how ridiculous Thor is with holding back during the Busiek era. I remember him hammering away to no effect with some real effort and having to resort to lightning to destroy a secondary Adamantium Ultron (This was Ultron/Adamantium at their high point).

Then he started tearing through them like f*king paper out of nowhere. I think if Ultron appeared in a Thor book, Adamantium or not, that yea, things wouldn't go well for the machine but he'd have to bring his A-Game to beat some of the more powerful versions.

Agreed.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Yeah, I guess.

It's funny how ridiculous Thor is with holding back during the Busiek era. I remember him hammering away to no effect with some real effort and having to resort to lightning to destroy a secondary Adamantium Ultron (This was Ultron/Adamantium at their high point).

Then he started tearing through them like f*king paper out of nowhere. I think if Ultron appeared in a Thor book, Adamantium or not, that yea, things wouldn't go well for the machine but he'd have to bring his A-Game to beat some of the more powerful versions.

Agreed. Thor goes from getting smashed by a secondary adamantium Ultron to stopping holding back and eventually destroying him with a lot of effort...

To destroying tens of them seemingly easily.

If he was Superman, that'd be 100 percent proof of dynamic strength.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Thor goes from getting smashed by a secondary adamantium Ultron to stopping holding back and eventually destroying him with a lot of effort...

To destroying tens of them seemingly easily.

If he was Superman, that'd be 100 percent proof of dynamic strength.

Hahaha.

It's funny because you know that's exactly what the argument would be.

Supra
So who won?

JakeTheBank
You guys laugh now, but you won't be laughing when the faint sound of John Williams' score can be heard in the background, foreshadowing the inevitable.

ODG
Sure, he was trying again and again to beat that pesky AI, like a kid playing a videogame. He's one stubborn player that Kang.

But in all those wars, for all his technopathy and technology powerful enough to casually tank several heralds, Ultron never killed Kang, nor did it manage to stop him from messing with the timestream, when Ultron realized the full extent of the situation the only solution it could come up with was to shut itself down.

Because there is no way Ultron can actually take on Kang 131 He was failing again and again, you mean to say.

Probably because Kang kept running away like a b1tch. Even Immortus understood that Ultron was saving their bacon by letting himself lose.

There is no way Ultron can take on Kang, except for the multitude of times it did, no matter how much time-travel prep and allies Kang brought to the table. That's exceedingly awful. Even by Kang standards.

ODG
You think that bodes well?

Thanos pulls Ultron's head off

Also, DD kept tanking attacks. I think it's irrelevant. Ultron isn't going to open up its chassis panels, start pulling itself apart and then permit Thanos to snip his wiring.

Sure, if Ultron goes and does it for him.

Also, Ultron-13 didn't want to kill Daredevil. The schizophrenia.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
I think it's irrelevant. Ultron isn't going to open up its chassis panels, start pulling itself apart and then permit Thanos to snip his wiring.

Sure, if Ultron goes and does it for him.

Also, Ultron-13 didn't want to kill Daredevil. The schizophrenia. No, Thanos will do it for him.

He won't have a choice, Thanos tears his head off.

So he was holding back when he wanted to get rid of everyone and spend time with Number 9?

leonidas
Originally posted by zopzop
You think Ultron's adamantium body could've withstood that Gungnir channeled blast Odin unleashed on Thanos?

well, let me ask you--would ultron have been destroyed by the celestial blast that thor withstood? iirc even ben took one recently. does that mean thor and ben>adamantium? or was the celestials' blast<<<<odin's blast?

comparing characters to metal doesn't necessarily equate imo and i don't think it makes much sense to compare them. iirc at the start of that cosmic powers mini, isn't thanos fighting a whole horde of beings just for kincks? i remember him being kind of cut up and bleeding. i absolutely don't think any of the guys he was fighting could have scratched ultron if they had a 1000 years. in thanos' case i'm pretty sure he has some pretty uber healing or at least the ability to control his atomic structure to some degree or other so it's kind of a faulty comparison. could ultron have survived that odin attack? depends on the writer imo. it seemed like just some big force blast. i wouldn't really think anything of it if ultron handled that.

ODG
Based on everything I've read in this thread so far, this random fodder alien is somewhere between Wolverine and Galactus:
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Random/Thanos21.jpg

leonidas
lol thumb up

now that i think about it, that doesn't leave much space....

Branlor Swift
well, let me ask you--would ultron have been destroyed by the celestial blast that thor withstood? iirc even ben took one recently. does that mean thor and ben>adamantium? or was the celestials' blast<<<<odin's blast?

comparing characters to metal doesn't necessarily equate imo and i don't think it makes much sense to compare them. iirc at the start of that cosmic powers mini, isn't thanos fighting a whole horde of beings just for kincks? i remember him being kind of cut up and bleeding. i absolutely don't think any of the guys he was fighting could have scratched ultron if they had a 1000 years. in thanos' case i'm pretty sure he has some pretty uber healing or at least the ability to control his atomic structure to some degree or other so it's kind of a faulty comparison. could ultron have survived that odin attack? depends on the writer imo. it seemed like just some big force blast. i wouldn't really think anything of it if ultron handled that. The way I see it, organics damage soak is above metal.

Obviously that doesn't apply to most people, but for beings like Thanos, he will take attacks better than adamantium will. Does that make his skin harder than adamantium? No. But for some reason his damage soak will allow him to make it appear it is.

Let's take Odin for example. He has been cut before. And he's likely to have less piercing resistance than adamantium. However, the guy takes whatever the shit he wants that's far above anything adamantium can take, and keeps on trucking. Same with Surtur.

Beings like Odin, Thanos, etc will be cut by random stuff. But they will take attacks that would absolutely shatter adamantium. Does that mean they're less durable because their piercing resistance "sucks"? Hell, Colossus can take stab stabs better than Hulk can, but we know he's not more durable.

Piercing resistance isn't raw durability. And damage soak seems to be separated as well.

And now I'm onto Wolverine logic.

Also, the Godslayer broke on Thanos' skin, and he was watching the IG/Gorath/whatever-it-was-Sword slice into his skin and healed instantly right after. His defense against cut cuts is fine (which this will devolve into).

ODG
No, Thanos will do it for him.

He won't have a choice, Thanos tears his head off.

So he was holding back when he wanted to get rid of everyone and spend time with Number 9? Not likely.

Yes, if Ultron does it for him.

Yes. His more peaceful personality Ultron-12 was the dominant one and didn't want to kill anybody:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Random/Ultron01.jpg

leonidas
The way I see it, organics damage soak is above metal.

Obviously that doesn't apply to most people, but for beings like Thanos, he will take attacks better than adamantium will. Does that make his skin harder than adamantium? No. But for some reason his damage soak will allow him to make it appear it is.

Let's take Odin for example. He has been cut before. And he's likely to have less piercing resistance than adamantium. However, the guy takes whatever the shit he wants that's far above anything adamantium can take, and keeps on trucking. Same with Surtur.

Beings like Odin, Thanos, etc will be cut by random stuff. But they will take attacks that would absolutely shatter adamantium. Does that mean they're less durable because their piercing resistance "sucks"? Hell, Colossus can take stab stabs better than Hulk can, but we know he's not more durable.

Piercing resistance isn't raw durability. And damage soak seems to be separated as well.

And now I'm onto Wolverine logic.

Also, the Godslayer broke on Thanos' skin, and he was watching the IG/Gorath/whatever-it-was-Sword slice into his skin and healed instantly right after. His defense against cut cuts is fine (which this will devolve into).

i agree and disagree which is why i think the comparison itself is faulty. organics have mitigating circumstances usually--like a healing factor, control of their atomic structure, sheer willpower that allows them to go on even if their bodies are being basically destroyed. juggs went on as a skeleton. that doesn't mean juggs is more durable than adamantium, rather he has abilities to call upon that simple metal doesn't.

i also don't think it's necessarily true that thanos would tank damage better than adamantium. any blast capable of damaging adamantium would be capable of harming thanos as well imo, but thanos might be able to keep going where the metal might have been pierced. thanos was still damaged, he could just will himself through it, or heal it or use his molecular control. that makes it an uneven playing field. then there is the simple issue of the thickness of the metal to add in. cap's shield has taken blasts from galactus, but we've seen what one good blast from g did to thanos. the comparison just doesn't work in my eyes for all kinds of reasons, but i'd certainly say damaging adamantium is much more difficult than damaging thanos. putting thanos down could be more difficult than piercing a certain amount of adamantium though.

TheLordofMurder
Don't you have some Thanos angst and wrist cutting sessions to attend to?

Nope, but I do have some common sense to teach; class is on Mon, Weds, Fri 9-10am...be there!

Happy Dance

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
Not likely.

Yes, if Ultron does it for him.

Yes. His more peaceful personality Ultron-12 was the dominant one and didn't want to kill anybody:
If Ultron's strong enough to tear his head off, then Thanos is

Yet he tried to kill Number Nine right before that...
He didn't know what he wanted to do, and he wanted to destroy Doom because Doom was flawed for a time. Which is something that goes against 12's personality.
He went crazy and backhanded DD and then DD was all like "Whatever, I'll grab this stick". DD > Crazy adamantium Ultron

ODG
If Ultron's strong enough to tear his head off, then Thanos is

Yet he tried to kill Number Nine right before that...
He didn't know what he wanted to do, and he wanted to destroy Doom because Doom was flawed for a time. Which is something that goes against 12's personality.
He went crazy and backhanded DD and then DD was all like "Whatever, I'll grab this stick". DD > Crazy adamantium Ultron Ultron can also open his chassis before doing so because its his body. Thanos can't do that.

Yes he did, and Daredevil hadn't confronted him until after his love-sick schizophrenia had already kicked in. And he one-shotted DD effortlessly before he started dismantling himself.

Branlor Swift
i agree and disagree which is why i think the comparison itself is faulty. organics have mitigating circumstances usually--like a healing factor, control of their atomic structure, sheer willpower that allows them to go on even if their bodies are being basically destroyed. juggs went on as a skeleton. that doesn't mean juggs is more durable than adamantium, rather he has abilities to call upon that simple metal doesn't.

i also don't think it's necessarily true that thanos would tank damage better than adamantium. any blast capable of damaging adamantium would be capable of harming thanos as well imo, but thanos might be able to keep going where the metal might have been pierced. thanos was still damaged, he could just will himself through it, or heal it or use his molecular control. that makes it an uneven playing field. then there is the simple issue of the thickness of the metal to add in. cap's shield has taken blasts from galactus, but we've seen what one good blast from g did to thanos. the comparison just doesn't work in my eyes for all kinds of reasons, but i'd certainly say damaging adamantium is much more difficult than damaging thanos. putting thanos down could be more difficult than piercing a certain amount of adamantium though. But what about when organics don't get "damaged"? The Juggs comparison is when he got pretty much destroyed by an attack that wouldn't tickle adamantium. That's not fair to compare them.

Well, he has... he's taken attacks above what the Shield can take (which is greater than adamantium). Can you name me what's the most powerful attack that adamantium has taken?

See, are you talking about damage as in destroyed skin, blood, holes, etc, or just getting hurt?

And we've only seen Thanos' healing factor at work a couple times. Do we assume he gets shredded through every attack that would damage adamantium and heals instantly, or do we assume he doesn't get damage like what's been shown?

Cap's shield took energy leaking out of a weakened Galactus that was thrown as an energy wave. And a small portion of it.
Thanos took an attack from a not weakened Galactus. Thanos' dead body took the Galactus attack that destroyed the galaxy, so there's that too.
On the other hand... Pussy King Thor damaged the shield, Full King Thor destroyed it (though I predict the alternate excuse will be used), Serpent almost effortlessly tore the thing in pieces. Downgraded Thanos with the IG shattered it with punches. Then Morlun, Hulk, and Zeus' bird have destroyed adamantium.
Thanos took attacks from actual Odin without too much damage being caused to his body. The Cosmic Cube blast didn't do any noticeable damage to his body. He walked away from multiple attacks from the Magus when he had the IG and then a blast from Adam/Magus while only being rocked.

The body is malleable. But that doesn't mean every being can take attacks that could destroy adamantium. Thickness is a good point, but it's not like Ultron is thick. A solid brick the size of Thanos would be more interesting though.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
Ultron can also open his chassis before doing so because its his body. Thanos can't do that.

Yes he did, and Daredevil hadn't confronted him until after his love-sick schizophrenia had already kicked in. And he one-shotted DD effortlessly before he started dismantling himself. Proof? Because he looked like he was screaming in pain...

And his love was only for her, not for DD. The reason he started pulling himself apart was because he tried to kill DD and that offended her.
That was just a stun blast. DD tanked the actual kill shots.

Nope, but I do have some common sense to teach; class is on Mon, Weds, Fri 9-10am...be there!

Happy Dance Don't make me giggle.

Also, my CR is higher than yours.

ODG
Proof?

And his love was only for her, not for DD. The reason he started pulling himself apart was because he tried to kill DD and that offended her.
That was just a stun blast. DD tanked the actual kill shots. Beyond common sense? I doubt him opening his own adamantium chassis is meant to be a strength feat:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Random/Ultron02.jpg

I just posted a scan with his thoughts, "But Daredevil is the one we are to kill! The completion of the mission is to kill the hero! No! We can rise above all that! forgiveness!"

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
Beyond common sense? I doubt him opening his own adamantium chassis is meant to be a strength feat:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Random/Ultron02.jpg

I just posted a scan with his thoughts, "But Daredevil is the one we are to kill! The completion of the mission is to kill the hero! No! We can rise above all that! forgiveness!" Doom jammed his head on just by ramming it in there.

Because opening up a sliding door in your chest is the same as forcibly ripping your head off and causing yourself pain

And then you posted a scan an issue later where he said he must kill Daredevil, and then proceeded to tear himself apart because she didn't like that.

So I take it from your continuing this that you think Ultron wins? How?

ODG
Doom jammed his head on just by ramming it in there.

Because opening up a sliding door in your chest is the same as forcibly ripping your head off and causing yourself pain

And then you posted a scan an issue later where he said he must kill Daredevil, and then proceeded to tear himself apart because she didn't like that.

So I take it from your continuing this that you think Ultron wins? How? Yes, Doom assembled him. Ultrons are assembled.

Ultron-13 didn't cause himself pain when he dislodged his head. You're probably confusing yourself with the time Daredevil jammed his billy club into the exposed neck wiring. And are you telling me that Ultron can easily open his adamantium chassis panels on his body but cannot dislocate his adamantium joints? Proof?

He said he must kill Daredevil "eventually" -- a piece of programming he's been fighting for both issues, including in the very next panel.

This is an ancillary side debate spawned from this clumsy notion that Thanos can somehow rend an adamantium Ultron to pieces because one Ultron was actively dismantling himself. By this reasoning, Tony taking off his helmet means Hawkeye could tear it right off his armor in a fight with a tug.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
Yes, Doom assembled him. Ultrons are assembled.

Ultron-13 didn't cause himself pain when he dislodged his head. You're probably confusing yourself with the time Daredevil jammed his billy club into the exposed neck wiring. And are you telling me that Ultron can easily open his adamantium chassis panels on his body but cannot dislocate his adamantium joints? Proof?

He said he must kill Daredevil "eventually" -- a piece of programming he's been fighting for both issues, including in the very next panel.

This is an ancillary side debate spawned from this clumsy notion that Thanos can somehow rend an adamantium Ultron to pieces because one Ultron was actively dismantling himself. By this reasoning, Tony taking off his helmet means Hawkeye could tear it off his armor. Jammed it on his head.

Panels are meant to be opened, heads are not meant to come off.
Proof he took off his head because it's his. You claimed first, prove it.

Which goes against:
"But Daredevil is the one we are to kill! The completion of the mission is to kill the hero! No! We can rise above all that! forgiveness!"

Can't have it both ways.

You had to respond to every obvious joke I said, and then started bringing out scans, which is hilarious to me. But now it's stale. Why does Ultron win ODG?
Probably. And taking off a helmet is the same as taking off a head.

leonidas
But what about when organics don't get "damaged"? The Juggs comparison is when he got pretty much destroyed by an attack that wouldn't tickle adamantium. That's not fair to compare them.

Well, he has... he's taken attacks above what the Shield can take (which is greater than adamantium). Can you name me what's the most powerful attack that adamantium has taken?

See, are you talking about damage as in destroyed skin, blood, holes, etc, or just getting hurt?

And we've only seen Thanos' healing factor at work a couple times. Do we assume he gets shredded through every attack that would damage adamantium and heals instantly, or do we assume he doesn't get damage like what's been shown?

Cap's shield took energy leaking out of a weakened Galactus that was thrown as an energy wave. And a small portion of it.
Thanos took an attack from a not weakened Galactus. Thanos' dead body took the Galactus attack that destroyed the galaxy, so there's that too.
On the other hand... Pussy King Thor damaged the shield, Full King Thor destroyed it (though I predict the alternate excuse will be used), Serpent almost effortlessly tore the thing in pieces. Downgraded Thanos with the IG shattered it with punches. Then Morlun, Hulk, and Zeus' bird have destroyed adamantium.
Thanos took attacks from actual Odin without too much damage being caused to his body. The Cosmic Cube blast didn't do any noticeable damage to his body. He walked away from multiple attacks from the Magus when he had the IG and then a blast from Adam/Magus while only being rocked.

The body is malleable. But that doesn't mean every being can take attacks that could destroy adamantium. Thickness is a good point, but it's not like Ultron is thick. A solid brick the size of Thanos would be more interesting though.

thor has taken a celestial blast. hulk (who damaged ultron) hasn't bloodied thor's nose in a fight and ben has taken multiple shots from hulk. unlike thanos THEY def don't have healing factors but i don't think anyone is going to go on record and say they are more durable than adamantium. i mean, does that mean every time someone survives a blast from someone skyfather or above it makes them automatically more durable than cap's shield? hell, even spidey has taken morlun's shots and he broke some adamantium. and i'm sure people could come up with dozens of examples like those. organic durability and the durability of a metal simply can't be fairly compared imo.

on top of that, i think we're looking at damage differently tbh. cap's shield can't heal itself. if thanos stood still and didn't defend at all, and he let serpent grab him by the head, i'm pretty sure he'd be pretty damn f'd up too.....his body might heal itself in time, but he'd sure as hell be damaged. a punch that dented the shield would certainly damage thanos as well, he could just heal or will himself to go on. (and i'm thinking of a different time cap defended against galactus--can't recall where it was though....) that doesn't mean he is more 'durable' than the shield. it's apples and oranges. both would be damaged, but the shield can't decide whether to push through or heal the damage. and puncture resistance is something else entirely. i don't think the term damage soak works with metals though.

a block of adamantium cut into the size and shape of thanos would be pretty unbreakable imo and unless it's structure was being messed with directly, i'd say it could take anything thanos could.

ODG
Jammed it on his head.

Panels are meant to be opened, heads are not meant to come off.
Proof he took off his head because it's his. You claimed first, prove it. Which doesn't prove anything.

Well, obviously the head started off detached, and other Ultron heads have been reattached after being decapitated, so... ? Based on the scans I just showed you, Ultron-13 can open up various parts all over his body that someone else with pure strength couldn't. That suggests that he can dislodge pieces of his adamantium shell, likely by disabling interlocking mechanisms. And common sense tells you that this ability to dismantle himself or expose his internal wiring isn't limited.

If you want it to be limited, prove it. Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Which goes against:
"But Daredevil is the one we are to kill! The completion of the mission is to kill the hero! No! We can rise above all that! forgiveness!"

Can't have it both ways.

You had to respond to every obvious joke I said, and then started bringing out scans, which is hilarious to me. But now it's stale. Why does Ultron win ODG?
Probably. And taking off a helmet is the same as taking off a head. It doesn't go against a schizo being an indecisive schizophrenic.

What exactly do you think an indecisive schizophrenic is?

You ended up bringing Daredevil into this. And now you're trying to seriously argue that Ultron dismantling itself was a pure strength feat that Thanos could surpass. Here's an exercise that'll show you how forced your argument is: find me a scan that conclusively shows that when Tony Stark takes off his own helmet, it's because he remotely detaches interlocking mechanisms, not because his puny human strength rips it off its bearings.

Branlor Swift
thor has taken a celestial blast. hulk (who damaged ultron) hasn't bloodied thor's nose in a fight and ben has taken multiple shots from hulk. unlike thanos THEY def don't have healing factors but i don't think anyone is going to go on record and say they are more durable than adamantium. i mean, does that mean every time someone survives a blast from someone skyfather or above it makes them automatically more durable than cap's shield? hell, even spidey has taken morlun's shots and he broke some adamantium. and i'm sure people could come up with dozens of examples like those. organic durability and the durability of a metal simply can't be fairly compared imo.

on top of that, i think we're looking at damage differently tbh. cap's shield can't heal itself. if thanos stood still and didn't defend at all, and he let serpent grab him by the head, i'm pretty sure he'd be pretty damn f'd up too.....his body might heal itself in time, but he'd sure as hell be damaged. a punch that dented the shield would certainly damage thanos as well, he could just heal or will himself to go on. (and i'm thinking of a different time cap defended against galactus--can't recall where it was though....) that doesn't mean he is more 'durable' than the shield. it's apples and oranges. both would be damaged, but the shield can't decide whether to push through or heal the damage. and puncture resistance is something else entirely. i don't think the term damage soak works with metals though.

a block of adamantium cut into the size and shape of thanos would be pretty unbreakable imo and unless it's structure was being messed with directly, i'd say it could take anything thanos could. But you compared the durability by saying one was already more durable than the other.
So, we can't use a bunch of seemingly consistent feats from Thanos because Ben and Thor took hits from things that can damage adamantium? Also, Thor does have some sort of healing factor. And Thing constantly gets rocks punched off him.
Although bringing up Hulk damaging Ultron directly isn't the best way to go about this thread IMO... and that same Ultron was shaken to death by Wonder Man.

But Thanos rarely ever is shown to heal. And the healing factor is supposed to be an excuse for beings to be damaged in comics...
So what, Serpent snapping something in half > Odin's focused Gungir blast?
And he was taking the shots from a power gem amped written up Thor better than the shield took shots from that noob King Thor. I'd assume they were around the same level. At least until Thor actually got impressive when he had the Odin Force.

I've already shown Thanos taking attacks better than the shield could. Not sure what "He'd be f'd up" is showing. The couple times he was really really damaged were by a 2 light year black hole closing in on him, anti matter, a sword that iirc killed Death, and Omega (I think he was damaged there anyway). Which showed the damage it caused to him, and then his healing factor. I'm not sure the shield could withstand those.

Plus, it's not just one feat with Thanos, he's taken a lot of attacks that would grind adamantium to a paste. And he's consistently written as ultra durable. Where does that leave him? Less durable than adamantium because we can't compare them?

Yes he'll be hurt by attacks, but as far as really damaging him. He's been written to a point where he should be above adamantium. If we include everything like his healing factor, shields, damage soak, and his chin... it's a wash.

Another question, but do you think Surtur is more durable than adamantium?

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
Which doesn't prove anything.

Well, obviously the head started off detached, and other Ultron heads have been reattached after being decapitated, so... ? Based on the scans I just showed you, Ultron-13 can open up various parts all over his body that someone else with pure strength couldn't. That suggests that he can dislodge pieces of his adamantium shell, likely by disabling interlocking mechanisms. And common sense tells you that this ability to dismantle himself or expose his internal wiring isn't limited.

If you want it to be limited, prove it. It doesn't go against a schizo being an indecisive schizophrenic.

What exactly do you think an indecisive schizophrenic is?

You ended up bringing Daredevil into this. And now you're trying to seriously argue that Ultron dismantling itself was a pure strength feat that Thanos could surpass. Here's an exercise that'll show you how forced your argument is: find me a scan that conclusively shows that when Tony Stark takes off his own helmet, it's because he remotely detaches interlocking mechanisms, not because his puny human strength rips it off its bearings.

He literally popped his head on without doing anything special. And then Ultron later took apart his neck. Ultron is shittily put together.

His neck "rings" were literally coming apart.
http://i41.tinypic.com/e5mupx.jpg

I didn't realize that Ultron's interlocking mechanisms looked so messy when they were disjointed. Notice how he took off his interlocking mechanisms on on side of his neck ring, but didn't on the other. Silly Ultron, right?

So again, prove he used interlocking mechanisms to take his head apart.

Never said he wasn't, but you were implying he got over his will to kill. Which he clearly didn't. Basically, we have no idea what he was outputting at the time.

How about this one instead of your red herring:
Prove Ultron used interlocking mechanisms to take off his head.

And how does Ultron win?

TheLordofMurder
Also, my CR is higher than yours.

I am at 95 at the moment; need to update my sig...

Do you play on the ps3 or PC?

Bentley
To be fair, early Ultrons had some utterly sh_tty deaths, it was easy to get around their adamantium. Later on the got forcefields to shield their insides and regen for their non-adamantium components on top of their ability to reconstruct their own adamantium form.

Bentley
Originally posted by ODG
Even Immortus understood that Ultron was saving their bacon by letting himself lose.

So you think Immortus couldn't stop Kang either? Well, I wouldn't have gone that far, but since you have Kang in such high steem I'm not going to contradict you cool

Originally posted by ODG
There is no way Ultron can take on Kang,

Concession accepted bro.

Branlor Swift
I am at 95 at the moment; need to update my sig...

Do you play on the ps3 or PC? I was at 95. Been working on SP though for the last couple of days. 1048 precision isn't enough for my liking... although it has been for everything I've done.
I'll miss out on a couple days going to work tomorrow though. Stupid work.sad

PS3

To be fair, early Ultrons had some utterly sh_tty deaths, it was easy to get around their adamantium. Later on the got forcefields to shield their insides and regen for their non-adamantium components on top of their ability to reconstruct their own adamantium form. a couple earlier ones had forcefields. But yeah, some of the shit surrounding him didn't make sense.
The DD issues made the least sense though. Like how under any circumstances could Ultron stand up to Daredevil? Stupid

ODG
He literally popped his head on without doing anything special. And then Ultron later took apart his neck. Ultron is shittily put together.

His neck "rings" were literally coming apart.
http://i41.tinypic.com/e5mupx.jpg

I didn't realize that Ultron's interlocking mechanisms looked so messy when they were disjointed. Notice how he took off his interlocking mechanisms on on side of his neck ring, but didn't on the other. Silly Ultron, right? Maybe Doom put it on, the wires connected and the interlocking mechanisms locked in. If you're arguing against this process, I don't see how you're advancing your original argument: Thanos is strong enough to pull Ultron's head right off. Because all you're doing right now is making Ultron-13 out to be crappily put together. So Ultron-13 taking his own head off has absolutely no bearing on strength. Way to go, Branlor Swift. This is what we call "chasing your own tail."

Neck rings will come apart when they're interlocking mechanisms are loosened. What would be sillier is that every Ultron fight could have been ended by simply pulling his head off because there were no interlocking mechanisms preventing it. This absurdity being the inevitable result of your reasoning speaks volumes don't it? Never mind the fact that no Ultron has ever been easily defeated by simply separating its joints. Originally posted by Branlor Swift
So again, prove he used interlocking mechanisms to take his head apart.

Never said he wasn't, but you were implying he got over his will to kill. Which he clearly didn't. Basically, we have no idea what he was outputting at the time.

How about this one instead of your red herring:
Prove Ultron used interlocking mechanisms to take off his head.

And how does Ultron win? Because he has interlocking mechanisms throughout his body. As most robots and armors do. And as proven by him easily popping open his chest and easily pulling off his own head off without the usual metallic strain sounds, or squiggly strength struggle lines, or any notion of pain infliction.

I never implied he got over it, just that he was struggling with it the entire time. Especially after he met Number Nine, which is when Daredevil came into the picture.

Way to avoid the inanity of your suppositions, Branlor Swift. Your dodge was so subtle, I almost missed it. No, wait, I lied.

How does Tony take off his own helmet? How does Machine Man take off his own head when his body is disabled? How does Ultron improve his own cybernetics when, according to you, he has no access to his head? Think.

ODG
So you think Immortus couldn't stop Kang either? Well, I wouldn't have gone that far, but since you have Kang in such high steem I'm not going to contradict you cool

Concession accepted bro. Immortus tried to convince Kang otherwise. He said so. Before he got roflstomp killed by the Avengers' kids. You probably should reread these comics in-between the sobbing sessions it'll inevtiably produce.

Pretty sure we'll never see such a spectacular failure from Kang again. So you can rest in peace.

guy222
Thanos

leonidas
true. but the more i thought about it, the more it seems the comparison just does not work. my initial thought was simply comparing what could damage one vs what could damage the other. in that sense i still think there is no question that adamantium>thanos. by that i mean that anything capable of damaging, scratching, breaking adamantium would certainly damage thanos or anyone else to varying degrees and adamantium would remain unfazed by things that would harm thanos, again to varying degrees. however, in trying to see where you're coming from, it seems you're defining damage differently somehow.

ss has taken hits from t & a and most heralds have similar feats and i sure wouldn't feel comfortable saying any of them>adamantium....

thor has some minor healing, but it's pretty inconsequential. and that's my point--ben WAS damaged. like thanos is damaged, like thor is damaged. they are ALL damaged. not being ko'd or completely destroyed does not equal not being damaged. and wm shook secondary adamantium iirc.....

i also agree--using the examples i mentioned is NOT the best way, but you're saying those same things about thanos, so if it's good for him.....

impossible to say.

i'd disagree with this. BOTH were damaged by the blows. i'm not sure how you're drawing a comparison though. is it because thanos wasn't destroyed that you say he took damage better? that doesn't make sense to me. how do you say one was more damaged than the other? thanos has healing, molecular control and there is simply....MORE to him than the shield or adamantium. that's why i don't think the comparisons can be fairly made.

it shows BOTH would be damaged and therefore thanos is not more durable. i'd wager thanos would be very badly injured if he left himself completely undefended and serpent unleashed his power on his head....

well, if they can't be compared it leaves him very durable, or at least able to take a lot of damage relative to other ORGANICS. he certainly isn't more resistant to piercing damage than adamantium so how do you factor that in to your overall durability ratings? i mean both the mohs and rockwell scales measure hardness and indentation resistance. thanos would rank well below adamantium on those scales, but we don't place organics ON those scales because, well, it doesn't make sense....

not sure i understand this. he can take more total damage in some cases but that's because he has more to call upon regarding ways to resist. seriously, not sure how else to say it. if metal is damaged it can't self repair or will itself to continue. if thanos is damaged he can do both. is he more durable because of those things even though he IS damaged? not imo.

same as thanos. imo things that would damage adamantium would def damage surtur to varying degrees but something that would break adamantium wouldn't necessarily ko surtur and the 2 things shouldn't be equated. again, there is a lot 'more' to surtur than a thin sheet of metal..... that said, adamantium would also withstand some things that would damage/cut/hurt surtur, again to varying degrees.

apples and oranges to me my friend. at the end of the day maybe it's terminology we're not agreeing on, i dunno. i still say adamantium>thanos if we're looking at pure damage resistance, but that doesn't mean thanos, like other heralds, can't survive something that might break adamantium--they'd be damaged as well, to varying degrees, but there is 'more' to them that would allow them to survive beyond a simple 'breaking point'. not sure if that makes sense to you though.

ODG
You can think of it this way: Thanos putting on 30 lbs. of adamantium armor would be more durable than Thanos putting on 30 lbs. more of muscle. Not much more complicated than that.

h1a8
Energy blasts can't be compared to blunt force.
Two different materials can have totally different melting points and tensile strength. Thanos can be definitely be cut with an adamantium sword or knife.

Thanos isn't harder or more durable than adamantium when it comes to blunt force or cutting force. But he is closer in durability when it comes to resisting energy blasts.

IMO, I don't see Thanos really doing much to Ulron. But I do see Ultron at least affecting Thanos (but probably not enough).

If anything this is will be a long drawn out fight, possibly a stalemate.

leonidas
Originally posted by ODG
You can think of it this way: Thanos putting on 30 lbs. of adamantium armor would be more durable than Thanos putting on 30 lbs. more of muscle. Not much more complicated than that.

lol

or that....

i'm thinking bran wouldn't see it that though. (i may be wrong). the way i understand his argument he MIGHT suggest the armor would be destroyed and thanos would survive said attack thereby proving thanos>his armor.

but i don't want to put words in his mouth so that's as far as i'll go. that's just using my understanding of his point.

carver9
Wouldn't that be considered damage soak instead of durability?

TheOneFirestorm
Originally posted by h1a8
Energy blasts can't be compared to blunt force.
Two different materials can have totally different melting points and tensile strength. Thanos can be definitely be cut with an adamantium sword or knife.

Thanos isn't harder or more durable than adamantium when it comes to blunt force or cutting force. But he is closer in durability when it comes to resisting energy blasts.

IMO, I don't see Thanos really doing much to Ulron. But I do see Ultron at least affecting Thanos (but probably not enough).

If anything this is will be a long drawn out fight, possibly a stalemate.

So both of them decide to stop fighting?

ODG
lol

or that....

i'm thinking bran wouldn't see it that though. (i may be wrong). the way i understand his argument he MIGHT suggest the armor would be destroyed and thanos would survive said attack thereby proving thanos>his armor.

but i don't want to put words in his mouth so that's as far as i'll go. that's just using my understanding of his point. Even if that were his argument, such a condition would hardly be limited to Thanos. We've seen Thor tank Celestial blasts. Give Thor adamantium armor and I could see it being blown off by Celestial blasts. That doesn't mean Thor is more durable than adamantium. He's obviously not.

A Thor donning adamantium armor would obviously be more durable than a slightly beefier Thor in a fight. Accordingly, adamantium is more durable than Thor.

leonidas
Originally posted by ODG
Even if that were his argument, such a condition would hardly be limited to Thanos. We've seen Thor tank Celestial blasts. Give Thor adamantium armor and I could see it being blown off by Celestial blasts. That doesn't mean Thor is more durable than adamantium. He's obviously not.

A Thor donning adamantium armor would obviously be more durable than a slightly beefier Thor in a fight. Accordingly, adamantium is more durable than Thor.

well, that's pretty much what i've been saying all along.... shrug

vince_slice
Thor and Surfer tanking abstract attacks are high showings, far from their averages. They've both been put down by far less, hence why using averages is useful. On average they're not more durable than adamantium. On the other hand, Thanos' average durability is consistently portrayed as much higher than Thor and Surfer's. Based on his showings I think an argument can easily be made that on average he's on par, or more durable than adamantium. A few high showings from heralds doesn't change that.

Bentley
Originally posted by ODG
Immortus tried to convince Kang otherwise. He said so. Before he got roflstomp killed by the Avengers' kids. You probably should reread these comics in-between the sobbing sessions it'll inevtiably produce.

After one-shotting Maestro and future Tony. Crappy showing I'll admit, but I doubt he was actually Immortus, just some future Kang. Could be Bendis piss poor writting what travestited the character so much though. One of the kids was Bendispower Clint spawn after all.

Originally posted by ODG
Pretty sure we'll never see such a spectacular failure from Kang again. So you can rest in peace.

According to you not defeating a Ultron whose power we don't know nothing about except that he was nice invincible, carrying future tech and punking heralds with no trouble is a bad showing. You assume that Ultron must be a small fish to justify bashing Kang. If anything, that version of Ultron seemed to be absurdly overpowered confused

But again, most issues with that arc can be traced to Bendis uncanny ability to write crap. It's still better than AoU though.

ODG
After one-shotting Maestro and future Tony. Crappy showing I'll admit, but I doubt he was actually Immortus, just some future Kang. Could be Bendis piss poor writting what travestited the character so much though. One of the kids was Bendispower Clint spawn after all.

According to you not defeating a Ultron whose power we don't know nothing about except that he was nice invincible, carrying future tech and punking heralds with no trouble is a bad showing. You assume that Ultron must be a small fish to justify bashing Kang. If anything, that version of Ultron seemed to be absurdly overpowered confused

But again, most issues with that arc can be traced to Bendis uncanny ability to write crap. It's still better than AoU though. Here I was operating under the assumption that we weren't taking this too seriously.

I don't assume Ultron was weak. I just conclude that Kang can't prep worth crap. The entire timestream open to him, his choice of allies, basically unlimited tries, and he can't beat Ultron before breaking the timestream and threatening all existence.

Maybe Bendis just got it right. biscuits

h1a8
Originally posted by vince_slice
Thor and Surfer tanking abstract attacks are high showings, far from their averages. They've both been put down by far less, hence why using averages is useful. On average they're not more durable than adamantium. On the other hand, Thanos' average durability is consistently portrayed as much higher than Thor and Surfer's. Based on his showings I think an argument can easily be made that on average he's on par, or more durable than adamantium. A few high showings from heralds doesn't change that.

An argument can be made whether Thanos is as durable against blasts as adamantium. IMO, I don't think but it's not too far fetched. But certainly without argument Thanos is not as durable as adamantium in the blunt or cut force area.

Remember energy blasts =/= blunt force or cutting force

Bentley
Originally posted by ODG
Here I was operating under the assumption that we weren't taking this too seriously.

I know, I shouldn't have brought a solid argument such as Bendispower Clint mmm

Originally posted by ODG
I don't assume Ultron was weak. I just conclude that Kang can't prep worth crap. The entire timestream open to him, his choice of allies, basically unlimited tries, and he can't beat Ultron before breaking the timestream and threatening all existence.

Kang by definition wants a challenge, he intends to fight Ultron in more or less equal terms, if there is no risk of defeat there is no conquest. He's litteraly playing a videogame against the computer and failing again and again. Obviously if Kang wanted to retcon or destroy Ultron for real he could've done it. I mean, Wolverine just did by the oldest time trick in the book.

We've seen Kang prep using Cosmic Cubes when he means business awesr

Originally posted by ODG
Maybe Bendis just got it right. biscuits

The only part he got right was when Kang dismissed Doom as a nuissance stick out tongue

ODG
failing again and again Saved the only relevant part of your post as it pertains to Kang.

curryman
The way Kang's toying with Apocalypse and Thor and Celestials clearly puts him above the sentient trashcan and the copter-titan.

I don't see why people are discussing this :3

ODG
^ The Apocalypse Twins aren't on Kang's side.

guy222
For me Thanos is on another power scale, but wat does a near 50 yr. opinion count stick out tongue

the Darkone
Thanos is another level than Ultron, Thanos byfar is High Trans as where Ultron maybe High herald or very low trans, but to me it's more PIS, Heralds like Thor, Silver Surfer, Dr Strange should just phucking own him I mean really, these can turn him into scrap as where Thanos it take more than one herald to beat him hell to even slow him down.

Odekahn
Originally posted by the Darkone
Thanos is another level than Ultron, Thanos byfar is High Trans as where Ultron maybe High herald or very low trans, but to me it's more PIS, Heralds like Thor, Silver Surfer, Dr Strange should just phucking own him I mean really, these can turn him into scrap as where Thanos it take more than one herald to beat him hell to even slow him down.

Ultron is no less than mid trans. Lol @ high herald

ODG
Thanos is another level than Ultron, Thanos byfar is High Trans as where Ultron maybe High herald or very low trans, but to me it's more PIS, Heralds like Thor, Silver Surfer, Dr Strange should just phucking own him I mean really, these can turn him into scrap as where Thanos it take more than one herald to beat him hell to even slow him down. You might believe Ultron ought to be owned by a high herald like Thor. But the fact of the matter is, no villain has consistently beaten the crap out of Thor more than Ultron has (even with Avengers backing him up), save the Destroyer.

janus77
Thanos wins, comfortably. I don't get the overrating of Ultron on here, recently. Is it all down to "Age of Ultron"?

Odekahn
Originally posted by janus77
Thanos wins, comfortably. I don't get the overrating of Ultron on here, recently. Is it all down to "Age of Ultron"?

If you want to see overrated, look at Thanos.

janus77
If you want to see overrated, look at Thanos.
That guy who can withstand a prolonged assault from Odin?

the Darkone
Ultron is low trans at best imo

Odekahn
That guy who can withstand a prolonged assault from Odin?

That guy who got owned by caps shield and hawkeyes arrows.

Odekahn
Ultron is low trans at best imo

Smdh

janus77
That guy who got owned by caps shield and hawkeyes arrows.
That guy was Quan.

Thanos only fights Skyfathers and above.

Odekahn
That guy was Quan.

Thanos only fights Skyfathers and above.

Huh????

Nibedicus
Til Ultron starts fighting with Skyfather+ chars so we can get a better guage at his formidability, gonna have to go with Thanos here. For now.

h1a8
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Til Ultron starts fighting with Skyfather+ chars so we can get a better guage at his formidability, gonna have to go with Thanos here. For now.

Just because a character is more powerful than another doesn't mean that character can beat the other.

Thanos is more powerful than Juggs but he can't beat Juggs in a straight fight (no bfr).

Thanos fought Odin but couldn't do jack shit to him. I don't see him doing much to Ultron either.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by h1a8
Just because a character is more powerful than another doesn't mean that character can beat the other.

Thanos is more powerful than Juggs but he can't beat Juggs in a straight fight (no bfr).

Thanos fought Odin but couldn't do jack shit to him. I don't see him doing much to Ultron either.

laughing

Then I guess it's good that your opinion means jack to me.

quanchi112
Thanos wins.

Odekahn
Originally posted by quanchi112
Thanos wins.

Now there's a shocker ::rolls eyes::

carver9
It's always good to have Quan back.

Bentley
Originally posted by ODG
Saved the only relevant part of your post as it pertains to Kang.

Damn! Foiled again!

We'll meet again ODG!

*throws a smokescreen*

Originally posted by ODG
^ The Apocalypse Twins aren't on Kang's side.

*gets out from the smoke*

I'm pretty sure they are part of a power struggle between Rama-Tut and Kang or something like that, remember than the Axe was obtained by Tut.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.