Are you fine if the next Storm actress won't be black?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RLAAMJR.
This is actually in connection to about getting a black actor as Human Torch. So I was thinking, if the director decides to assign an actress who isn't black to play as Storm, are you fine with it? Whether your answer is "yes" or "no", which actress who isn't black would you want to play as her?

I'll answer first.

I would say "no!" I mean a big "NO". That's pretty much not the Storm I know. Storm is a very popular black comic character, she's even the most popular black comic book character, and not getting a black actress to play as her even if the hair is white, people would be confused.

But if I can't stop them, then I would like Kelly Brook to play as Storm.

http://wallpaperpassion.com/upload/24281/kelly-brook-pink-lips-image.jpg

-Pr-
Wait, Human Torch is going to be black? Can't say I'm a fan of that, tbh, especially given the way the actual team is set up.

Storm should be black, imo. Her African heritage is a large part of the character, and would be an awful change to make I think.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
Wait, Human Torch is going to be black? Can't say I'm a fan of that, tbh, especially given the way the actual team is set up.

They're only rumors at the moment

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=79760

people are going on about how it shouldn't matter if the actor can act, I know they did something with Harvey Dent with the Batman Tim Burton movies

personally i don't get why they should change them, If there's no Black character of character in whatever universe then don't.

-Pr-
But it's Johnny Storm. His sister is on the damn team, which the guy seems not to realise.

Is he gonna be adopted or something? I don't even...

Darth Jello
I don't know anything about this so I'll just ask, are you sure it's Johnny Storm? Because if this happens to be Jim Hammond, the original Human Torch from Marvel #1 and it were set in the late '30's that would be ****ing brilliant.

-Pr-
THAT, I could go for.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I don't know anything about this so I'll just ask, are you sure it's Johnny Storm? Because if this happens to be Jim Hammond, the original Human Torch from Marvel #1 and it were set in the late '30's that would be ****ing brilliant.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=79760

-Pr-
Oh, so he did say Johnny Storm.

That's just dumb, and it shows that the guy doesn't really know the character.

Wei Phoenix
Maybe their mother was a cheating whore and their father was an oblivious buffoon?

-Pr-
thumb up

juggerman
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Maybe their mother was a cheating whore and their father was an oblivious buffoon?

My, Myself, and Irene!

"Did you ever notice that your kids have sort of a year-round tan?"

"My great grandmother's half ltalian."

laughing

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by juggerman
My, Myself, and Irene!

laughing That was my inital thought when I wrote that.

-Pr-
laughing

Love that movie.

BlackWind
I've seen this exact same thread on Comicvine and CBR. And the answer is still, NO.

RLAAMJR.
Originally posted by BlackWind
I've seen this exact same thread on Comicvine and CBR. And the answer is still, NO.

what is your username in comic vine or cbr?

pym-ftw
No

Hell2the no to Black Johnny Storm

How did you guys feel about black Heimdall or Kingpin?

-Pr-
I didn't really mind either of those.

Wei Phoenix
Duncan was really the only well known person with the size to play Kingpin. Will Sasso doesn't seem like he would do the role well. I really enjoyed Duncan's Kingpin and would've loved to see him again in future Spider-Man or Daredevil titles.

juggerman
Originally posted by juggerman
My, Myself, and Irene!

laughing

Just realised i said "My" instead of "Me"

laughing out loud

SamZED
Johnny should be white.
Storm should be black.
The end.

Mindset
Originally posted by pym-ftw
No

Hell2the no to Black Johnny Storm

How did you guys feel about black Heimdall or Kingpin? They were actually both really good imo.

Changing the race of Johnny or Storm would be stupid though.

Kazenji
Duncan was really the only well known person with the size to play Kingpin. Will Sasso doesn't seem like he would do the role well. I really enjoyed Duncan's Kingpin and would've loved to see him again in future Spider-Man or Daredevil titles.

I disagree there

John Goodman could'eve been Kingpin.

StyleTime
Meh. Goodman looks too soft to be physically imposing. Duncan had lean, solid mass behind his weight.

the ninjak
Heimdall and Kingpin were fine to change.

Johnny and Storm wouldn't be.

roughrider
This will likely blow over just like when Donald Glover was publicly campaigning to be Spider Man. Myself, I'm not for changing Johnny from Caucasian to Black. The group dynamic will be changed too much.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Kazenji
I disagree there

John Goodman could'eve been Kingpin.

Goodman is too short, was too old, and not physically imposing enough to play Kingpin. MCD was big, tall and massive, he was physically intimidating, something Goodman doesn't really have.

Omega Vision
John Goodman can and has been physically intimidating (O Brother Where Art Thou?), but not by superhero movie standards. A younger, more muscular John Goodman could have been the perfect Kingpin, imo. He's very good at being menacing when he needs to be.

Wei Phoenix
Affleck is taller than Goodman, DD can't be taller than Kingpin. He's always been a good actor, he's just not Kingpin material in my opinion.

SevenShackles
Affleck is taller than Goodman, DD can't be taller than Kingpin. He's always been a good actor, he's just not Kingpin material in my opinion.
On the subject of needing to be 'taller' I'm sure they could of made up for that with movie magic if they had to.

SamZED
Or hire a shorter actor to play DD.

Kazenji
Nah movie magic

like how they did the hobbits in the Lord of the rings movies.

Salthasha
Storm should remain black and Johnny Storm The Human Torch, White.
Since Sue and Johnny's mother was never a "whoe" i think anyone wanting to rewrite the origin would be a loser to do that. as for the role of kingpin, the acting chops never really were called for there and yes Nathan Jones a white actor would even dwarf mcd. Michael clark duncan is a descent actor loved him in the greene Mile and amrmageddon. I prefer cannon and that includes Nick Fury.

flipperflip
Storm will not be the same if she's any other color than black.

Shabazz916
storm has african heritage.. storm can be connected to black panthereventually you cnt change her race...... johnny storm is just a person... he can be any color

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Shabazz916
storm has african heritage.. storm can be connected to black panthereventually you cnt change her race...... johnny storm is just a person... he can be any color

The same can be said about Storm. Johnny Storm is of Anglo Saxon heritage, you can't change his race.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Shabazz916

Johnny Storm is white, though. I mean, sure, if you can't find a good actor that resembles the character, then by all means, find someone of a different colour to do the job.

It's excusable when it's people like Kingpin or Heimdall, imo. When it's someone like Johnny Storm and it would in turn affect other characters? Not so much.

I'd be more willing to accept say, Reed or Doom played by Idris Elba or something, but then again, I'm not a massive F4 fan.

If they decided to make Cyclops black, that wouldn't be cool, imo.

Wei Phoenix

That's because you can't see yourself as strong, proud Black man! mad

KingD19
Storm has had her heritage expounded upon too much to be any color other than black.

She's descended from an ancient, centuries old line of African tribal priestesses on her mothers side, and her dad is black. You'd have to change her entire backstory to make her any other color.

As for Johnny. While he's a white guy and imo should remain a white guy, a race change on him wouldn't be as drastic since Johnny and Sue's family and backstory and lineage have never really been a big deal. They're white, they had parents. That's about as far as it goes.

-Pr-
That's because you can't see yourself as strong, proud Black man! mad

sad

Wei Phoenix
sad

Time for your sensitivity training.

-Pr-
Time for your sensitivity training.

Of course, I am white after all.

Originally posted by KingD19
Storm has had her heritage expounded upon too much to be any color other than black.

She's descended from an ancient, centuries old line of African tribal priestesses on her mothers side, and her dad is black. You'd have to change her entire backstory to make her any other color.

As for Johnny. While he's a white guy and imo should remain a white guy, a race change on him wouldn't be as drastic since Johnny and Sue's family and backstory and lineage have never really been a big deal. They're white, they had parents. That's about as far as it goes.

Pretty much. Just ends up becoming a question of what do you do: Change Sue too, or make him adopted, or something.

Zack Fair
I don't like changing genders or races for established characters. I really don't see the point and in the case of Storm it would ruin the credibility(at least at first) of her being african. Sure not everyone from Africa is black, but like I said I just don't see the point. I didn't care about Heimdall because he is a god from another world.

StiltmanFTW

Coming soon:

Black Cyclops

Black Hank Pym (always beating on his white wife)

Black Aquaman

Black Superman

biscuits

-Pr-
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Coming soon:

Black Cyclops

Black Hank Pym (always beating on his white wife)

Black Aquaman

Black Superman

biscuits

You need help.

StiltmanFTW
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llxdokvhbA1qewlk1o1_500.jpg

Wei Phoenix
You need help.

Just like a White man. Stilt starts sharing his thoughts about more Black characters and you conclude that he's obviously out of his mind and needs help. You're a monster.

-Pr-
sad

jedi90
Originally posted by RLAAMJR.
This is actually in connection to about getting a black actor as Human Torch. So I was thinking, if the director decides to assign an actress who isn't black to play as Storm, are you fine with it? Whether your answer is "yes" or "no", which actress who isn't black would you want to play as her?

I'll answer first.

I would say "no!" I mean a big "NO". That's pretty much not the Storm I know. Storm is a very popular black comic character, she's even the most popular black comic book character, and not getting a black actress to play as her even if the hair is white, people would be confused.

But if I can't stop them, then I would like Kelly Brook to play as Storm.

where to begin....

if you want to get technical, the last actress to play storm wasn't completely black either. In fact, Halle is half white and barely passes for black let alone african.

the only reason i would say no is because storm's background is very much wrapped around her race and nationality.

as for johnny, his race isn't critical to who he is. sue being white and johnny being black doesn't require:
1. their mother to be a whore
2. johnny being adopted

their parents could have divorced or they could be half siblings.

BlackZero30x
I think its a really stupid idea to change the race of any character. If there is already an established version that is a different race to base them on ok(Nick Fury) other then that there is no need.

stormlover
I agree with Jedi90. I believe that Storm's heritage is so integral to her character that changing her ethnicity/race would change the character completely. Johnny Storm's race doesn't necessarily dictate his character, as he seems to be more of a character-type than anything, meaning that there's room for different versions of him (not to take away from who he is though, because I know there are comic purists out there who would disagree or take offense)

-Pr-
To be honest, I think it's a bit silly to say on one hand that race shouldn't matter, and yet at the same time cast someone for the sake of "diversity".

If they picked this guy because he's the best option? Great. Looking forward to seeing it. If not... Then yeah.

Bardock42
I think due to a severe under representation of minorities in comic books and media in general, it is a different act to change a black character to be white as opposed to the other way around.

As such I would not like that.

KingD19
Jordan is a great young actor though.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think due to a severe under representation of minorities in comic books and media in general, it is a different act to change a black character to be white as opposed to the other way around.

As such I would not like that.

Honestly, I do see that it's considered that way. I don't think that's right, as I don't believe any race has "superiority" over any other, but I realise that this isn't a perfect world.

I still stand by my previous post, though.

Jordan is a great young actor though.

I hope so. I really hope he pulls it off, and we finally get a really good F4 movie.

KingD19
He's got the chops to pull off a Johnny type character. Check out Fruitvale Station and Chronicle. They show his acting range and his character in Chronicle is similar to Torch in a number of ways. As I said earlier in agreement. I don't think just being black makes him good for the part or that Johnny should just be black to be black. But it's a lot easier to pull off black Johnny than a no. African Storm.

-Pr-
He's got the chops to pull off a Johnny type character. Check out Fruitvale Station and Chronicle. They show his acting range and his character in Chronicle is similar to Torch in a number of ways. As I said earlier in agreement. I don't think just being black makes him good for the part or that Johnny should just be black to be black. But it's a lot easier to pull off black Johnny than a no. African Storm.

That was him in Chronicle? He was good in that, I agree.

Storm, yes, her heritage is very much "Black African goddess". I honestly think it would be silly to try to make her white. It would never happen anyway, so to me, it doesn't really matter.

KingD19
Yeah he was Steve in Chronicle. And Steve just oozes Johnny Storm in some ways. Funny, Charismatic, Likeable, and fully in love with his powers. Plus he's not above being childish or a kid from time to time with his abilities.

Like pranking a lady by moving her car to a different spot in the parking lot, or chasing a little girl with a floating teddy bear. But at the end of the day he really cares about his friends. He literally sacrificed his life because he was worried about Andrew's deteriorating behavior.

And while it won't happen, I'm in agreement with you. Certain characters ethnicity is too deeply tied into them to be altered. People like Storm, Luke Cage, Blue Marvel, Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver, Magneto, etc...

-Pr-
From Chronicle, I think he can do the job quite well.

I just hate this idea that people should be changed because "diversity". Instead of just coming up with new characters etc.

Dramatic Gecko
From Chronicle, I think he can do the job quite well.

I just hate this idea that people should be changed because "diversity". Instead of just coming up with new characters etc.

Exactly, make black characters, not change people to them. Imagine a black Batman... or as he would called, the invisible man.

http://hqwide.com/wallpapers/l/1366x768/13/batman_black_dc_comics_1366x768_12074.jpg

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
Exactly, make black characters, not change people to them. Imagine a black Batman... or as he would called, the invisible man.

http://hqwide.com/wallpapers/l/1366x768/13/batman_black_dc_comics_1366x768_12074.jpg

But there was a Black Batman.

Dramatic Gecko
But there was a Black Batman.

UH BLASPHEMY! When was this?

-Pr-
He's talking about Batwing, I assume, from Batman Inc.

Basically Bruce Wayne went around the world, putting a "Batman" in a lot of major cities. So in effect, Batwing was a black Batman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.