Independance Day Horde vs Star Trek

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
1) they attempt to invade Kirk-era ST film Earth
2) they attempt to invade Picard-era ST film Earth
3) they attempt to invade reboot-era ST film Earth

Do the aliens succeed or do they fall?

Mindship
Trek ftw. I don't see the little ID fighters penetrating Federation starship shields (and that's assuming a starship stays put and does nothing); the 15-mile carriership weapons are too short-ranged, apparently only point down and take a while to charge up; and the ID invasion force is too centralized: take out the mothership and the hierarchy collapses, and I don't recall anything in ID to make me think its shields could withstand a barrage from even one Federation starship, let alone a fleet. The ID invaders are definitely not the Borg.

Impediment
The ID4 aliens have force fields that can withstand a nuclear bomb.

Mindship
I think it's safe to assume both ST and ID can generate power on a scale well beyond 20th century nukes -- they'd have to, in order to achieve interstellar flight. But I don't recall anything from the ID movie that would make me think, "Wow, even a Federation starship couldn't penetrate those forcefields."

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Impediment
20th century nuclear weapons are considered quaint by 23rd and 24th century Star Trek standards. For comparison's sake, a 24th century civilian ship (a Ferengi pleasure ship, the equivalent of a speed boat or a private yacht) was able to fly through an atomic explosion (granted, it was an early test, thus weaker than the weapon used in ID4) with only some rumbling, as if it were an airliner flying through turbulence. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that a military vessel a hundred times larger would have immensely more powerful shields.

Of course it's impossible to gauge how powerful the ID4 shields are--they could be equivalent to the 22nd century NX-01 Enterprise shielding (or I guess, "polarized hull-plating"wink, they could be superior, they could be inferior. There's just nothing to substantiate them being able to ward off Federation firepower indefinitely, and the only weapon they have that could possibly damage the Federation ships is entirely unsuitable for ship to ship combat. It would make sense if the ID4 aliens aren't geared toward fighting other interstellar powers--they were just marauders who attacked primitive planets.

Robtard
If Jeff Goldbloom can hack a completely alien system with a 20th century MacBook, Spock and Data with 23rd and definitely with 24th century ST tech obliterate.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Robtard
If Jeff Goldbloom can hack a completely alien system with a 20th century MacBook, Spock and Data with 23rd and definitely with 24th century ST tech obliterate.

Rob wins another thread

doesn't matter, The Enterprise weapons get through easily ..

Lord Lucien
If Jeff Goldbloom can hack a completely alien system with a 20th century MacBook, Spock and Data with 23rd and definitely with 24th century ST tech obliterate. /thread

Kazenji

And can be disabled with Windows 95.

Based

lolwut

The alien ship captured by Area 51 has been reversed engineered and all of humanity's technology in their universe was based off alien technology so no it's nowhere as foreign as you are implying.

Now ST probably rapes it anyways but this 'plothole' that everyone jizzes about needed to be put to rest a decade ago.

playa1258
Federation weapons are far more powerful than nuclear bombs.

quanchi112
Trek win in all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.