Jack Hawksmoor vs Magneto

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jitay
!!!

Digi
Depends entirely on setting. Magneto's best feats are probably better, but Jack becomes something of a literal deux ex in major cities. Insta-healing, teleportation, phasing, technopathy, strength, omnidirectional awareness, etc.

Then there's the war of who controls what with, say, steel buildings. We can't know for sure, but at least in Wildstorm, Jack's control was treated as almost conceptual instead of being based purely in powers and physics. I'd give him the nod in the control department, but I also can't prove it beyond doubt.

In a major urban hub, I'd probably give him the win, though not easily of course, and there does exist a strong case for Mags.

Magneto wins: trashing the city will hurt jack wherever he is in it and, more importantly, save for the megazord trick, jack's actual offensive output is lacking in both reach and power to subdue an anemy that can remain airborne (high) above the city behind formidable force-fields while wrecking it. Even if he pulls the megazord off, I can see Magneto ripping its metal structure from within.

Digi
Originally posted by 753
Magneto wins: trashing the city will hurt jack wherever he is in it and, more importantly, save for the megazord trick, jack's actual offensive output is lacking in both reach and power to subdue an anemy that can remain airborne (high) above the city behind formidable force-fields while wrecking it. Even if he pulls the megazord off, I can see Magneto ripping its metal structure from within.

No ones doubts offensive output is with Mags. Jack's way in would be to, say, teleport inside his shields and phase a concrete block into Magneto's brain.

The whole "hurt the city" thing is also a bit dubious. Undoubtedly, more "damage" was done with the Megazord trick than in any explosion or destruction, and Jack himself has toppled buildings to get his sh*t done.

People also don't seem to fully grasp the city-suit thing. A lot of characters can wreck a city. But the city isn't inert in this case. It's a self-aware, sentient controlled, trillion+ ton behemoth that is actively fighting and self-repairing. Can Magneto's shields take a million tons of concrete and glass crashing down on him? Maybe. But it's not a sure thing. He's used this tactic twice, btw. It's not an isolated thing.

has he ever teleported high up? I can only recall him doing his exotic schtick while in contact or proximity to the structures. plus there is matter of bypassing the shields and mags has reacted to kurt mid-teleport.

hurting the city is somewhat ambiguous, but on average it compromises him some. the way I see it, by merging with the city, while he does some damage when using his powers, it's more like a stress reaction of the city/jack symbiosis in fight mode than an external attack on it. since he's in control, he can counter its effects and keep balance.

sure, but at the same time it's kind of an enemy made for magneto to beat as the city megazord is in many ways a giant robot. could an EMP induce a seizure in it? how would massive metal manipulation affect its inner workings?

Digi
Originally posted by 753
has he ever teleported high up? I can only recall him doing his exotic schtick while in contact or proximity to the structures. plus there is matter of bypassing the shields and mags has reacted to kurt mid-teleport.

hurting the city is somewhat ambiguous, but on average it compromises him some. the way I see it, by merging with the city, while he does some damage when using his powers, it's more like a stress reaction of the city/jack symbiosis in fight mode than an external attack on it. since he's in control, he can counter its effects and keep balance.

sure, but at the same time it's kind of an enemy made for magneto to beat as the city megazord is in many ways a giant robot. could an EMP induce a seizure in it? how would massive metal manipulation affect its inner workings?

One would assume he wouldn't need to teleport too far from the city, especially since he could bring elements of it to Magneto fairly easily. If Magneto stays too far away, it's a stalemate.

On the last point, I referenced it in my first post, about whose control over certain parts of the city would win out or be stronger. I tentatively sided with Jack for the reasons stated. But it's a question we can't actually answer...there's no direct evidence to compare. Of course if Magneto can wrest control of all metal in the city, he wins. My opinion is predicated on believing that not to be the case, and it's why I disagree that Magneto wins, but I also won't say it's definitely wrong.

depends on what too far is, 20m away from any structure might be too far, if he can't move/teleport freely across airspace.

Sure. I stand with magneto.

Digi
Fair enough. Jack just sort of literally became a god in cities. Gravity alternation, minor matter manipulation, in addition to the dozen or so other powers/tactics mentioned. Anyone that can't just one or two-shot cities (high heralds, scattered mids, etc.) would have a hard time putting him down for good in any major metropolis.

Bentley
This thread should definitively explicit where the fight takes place. Jack can mess with Magneto, so it all depends in how drastic of a mesure both characters decide to take from the get to go.

jitay
New York
that is where the fight takes

Golgo13
Jack wins.

Digi
Originally posted by Bentley
This thread should definitively explicit where the fight takes place. Jack can mess with Magneto, so it all depends in how drastic of a mesure both characters decide to take from the get to go.

Magneto's no saint, but if anything Jack is actually more ruthless in fights. So there's that. If we keep CIS on, I feel like it's a slight edge to Jack.

curryman
Jack's not bound by Big-Company-Stupidity, which means that his mind's as sharp as an actual adult person.

I remain conflicted though. I have this one image of Jack dressed in concrete and swinging arms the size of skyscrapers. But I also have this picture of Magneto floating through the city in a bubble of energy, tearing apart anything by simply gesturing at it.

Good fight smile

yaadaveyaa
i had to go and look up this jack hawksmoor guy i didnt know who he was but would ne one mind some scans so i can see what this guy is capable of my intitial thought was mags is gonna stomp this clown there in a city theres more metal then he knows what to do with this guy is gonna have 7 empire state buildings piled on his head

Digi
Originally posted by yaadaveyaa
i had to go and look up this jack hawksmoor guy i didnt know who he was but would ne one mind some scans so i can see what this guy is capable of my intitial thought was mags is gonna stomp this clown there in a city theres more metal then he knows what to do with this guy is gonna have 7 empire state buildings piled on his head

We have a Respect forum for this exact purpose. Have fun...
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f98/t484278.html

...some broken links, as is always the case with older threads. But it'll still give you an idea of what he can do.

Also, 7 Empire State Buildings wouldn't do much to Jack. He'd just phase into them or exert his own not-inconsiderable influence over them and fight Mags for control.

yaadaveyaa
it was more of a joke saying i think mags would stomp his head in but ill read that respect thread and get back

yaadaveyaa
everything at my work has it blocked sad i cant read any of it

Bentley
Originally posted by Digi
Magneto's no saint, but if anything Jack is actually more ruthless in fights. So there's that. If we keep CIS on, I feel like it's a slight edge to Jack.

You can imagine the kind of brutality Jack would unleash against someone who is often described as a mutant terrorist with a selfrighteous concept of his own crusade.

yaadaveyaa
just in overall power who is stronger? mags or jack i get the idea of what he can do now but if he were in the middle of a field he'd get rage stomped?

Digi
just in overall power who is stronger? mags or jack i get the idea of what he can do now but if he were in the middle of a field he'd get rage stomped?

Correct. He's the God of Cities, a moniker bestowed upon him by the writers. The bigger the city, the greater his power. In an open field nowhere near a city, a mid-level MAer could kill him. On, say, Coruscant (world-city from Star Wars), he's hypothetically and/or arguably Trans-level.

In real-Earth cities (New York, etc.) he's some level of herald. Most will put him around mid.

His best feats include turning entire cities into body armor and forming them into roughly human form, essentially creating Mechazord-style fighting monsters. He lacks a ton of high-end feats, but in most cities I'd say his upper limit is below Magneto's best showings. New York is a weird one, because it's larger than most cities he finds himself in. So it makes this a really good fight.

yaadaveyaa
that is a super cool fight what is this guy from hes not marvel where is he from?

Digi
that is a super cool fight what is this guy from hes not marvel where is he from?

Wildstorm. It was a company owned by DC, but the characters were in a completely different universe. WS is closed now though. Some of them got assimilated into DC after Flashpoint, so they're part of mainstream DC now. I haven't followed it much since Flashpoint, so I don't know what the state of things is at the moment.

If you're interested in Jack and others like him (I promise they're awesome), the team they were on was first called Stormwatch and then The Authority. If you can find those two from back in the WS days, it's worth a read.

yaadaveyaa
how far back was it? i am most certainly gonna look for those i gotta guy who has more comics then comic book stores im sure he knows it

Digi
how far back was it? i am most certainly gonna look for those i gotta guy who has more comics then comic book stores im sure he knows it

Stormwatch began in '93. The Authority was sort of the jumping off point when Stormwatch dissolved, and began in '99. Both ran in some form until a couple years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwatch_%28comics%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Authority

yaadaveyaa
thanks bro

Digi
thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.