Post-Apocalypse Movie Suggestions Please

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

samhain
I've been on a bit of a post-apocalyptic movie kick recently and I'm now struggling to find more. I'm more interested in ones like Steel Dawn and Mad Max 2 that are set years after the fall of man/society but I'd be willing to try other types.

Any good/cheesy suggestions guys and girls? Thanks.

Kazenji
The Book of Eli.

jaden101
The Road
Threads
The day After

samhain
I've not seen The Book Of Eli yet, I shall check it out.
I loved the book The Road, but the film almost sent me to sleep for some reason.
Not heard of the other two, so I'll check them out as well.

Cheers guys.

samhain
Ooh, The Day After has Steve Guttenberg and Threads is set in Sheffield. Sold.

Impediment
The Postman starring Kevin Costner is so terrible that its a must see, in my opinion.

Major_Lexington
28 Days Later and its sequel, (zombie movie but technically post apocalyptic). 12 Monkeys (in parts) and you probably already saw Mad Max 3: beyond thunderdome. I hear there is a Mad Max Sequel/Reboot in the works, Mel Gibson cameos.. Escape from New York and Escape from LA, we cannot forget Snake Plissken. cool

jaden101
Originally posted by samhain
Ooh, The Day After has Steve Guttenberg and Threads is set in Sheffield. Sold.

They're both exceptionally bleak but technically not post apocalyps as they actually happen before during as well as after. Threads is pretty low budget but still horrifying and The Day After is credited with changing Ronald Reagan's entire stance towards nuclear proliferation and relationship with the Soviet union.

kind of agree about The Road. The book has such beautifully written prose that could never be transferred to film and was never going to match it and I was disappointed they never had the nerve to show the scene when they approach the camp fire. Thought the scene in the house with the basement was far more intense in the film though. After another couple of viewings I learned to like the film a lot more than after my 1st viewing though.

samhain
Yeah, The Road does get better after a 2nd watch. The Postman could have been a great movie, it's a pretty decent concept and it has Larenz Tate, but they allowed Costner to put his musk all over it IMO. Fury Road is the title of the Mad Max sequel/reboot I seem to recall, remember someone saying that Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were in it which bodes well I think.

Darth Martin
I Am Legend is really good. Dredd is decent.

samhain
I am Legend is okay, The Omega Man with Charlton Heston is better IMO.

Esau Cairn
I am Legend is okay, The Omega Man with Charlton Heston is better IMO.

Have you seen, The last Man On Earth?
Vincent Price, 1964...also based on Richard Matheson's I Am Legend novel.

jaden101
The Quiet Earth is also a classic. Don't know how I forgot that one. And as embarrassing as it is to admit I also like a few of the low budget Stephen King adaptations. The Stand and The Langoliers.

Patient_Leech
Would Reign of Fire count? It's actually relatively entertaining.. it's post apocalyptic, but with dragons. blink shifty

samhain
I would say that Reign Of Fire counts, I saw that in the cinema, I liked it, especially the part where they re-enact Star Wars for the kids and say they made up the story.

I haven't seen The Last Man On Earth, I suppose if anyone could do as good a job as Heston then it would be Vincent Price.

Doomsday is a good one, and Jeremiah, a TV series with Luke Perry.

Esau Cairn

I haven't seen The Last Man On Earth, I suppose if anyone could do as good a job as Heston then it would be Vincent Price.

It's a black & white film. From what I read, didn't do too well upon release but is an accurate rendition of the I Am Legend novel & like all Price movies became a cult hit years later.

samhain
Panic In Year Zero (1962), is one I've just discovered, and Survival Zone, a really bad one from the 80's that I seem to remember playing out like a Troma movie. Downloading Last Man On Earth now. thumb up

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
It's a black & white film. From what I read, didn't do too well upon release but is an accurate rendition of the I Am Legend novel & like all Price movies became a cult hit years later.
Whaa...? I thought every attempt at the I Am Legend novel has been way off the mark? How close are we talking here? The Omega Man I couldn't take seriously, and the Will Smith attempt I enjoy, but it's by no means accurate to the novel. I think Hollywood must shy away from the depressing mood of the novel.

juggerman
Doomsday is a good one

I didn't care for it but to each and own and such

samhain
Originally posted by juggerman
I didn't care for it but to each and own and such

That is to say, I liked certain aspects of Doomsday.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Whaa...? I thought every attempt at the I Am Legend novel has been way off the mark? How close are we talking here?

It's pretty accurate considering it was filmed just 10 years after the novel. So same era, same suburban environment...getting taunted every night, the fiery pit of corpses.
I mean we're talking about a novel written in '54 & filmed black & white in '64.

samhain
I watched The Last Man On Earth last night when I really should have been sleeping. Beats The Omega Man I think, not by much but I did prefer it. The bad guys look less like cult members and Price's inner monologues were descriptive and somehow more hopeful than any of Heston's speeches, Heston sounds like somebodies father complaining more or less the entire length of The Omega Man. I also watched The Book Of Eli, this was really good, the lighting really helped to sell the world IMO. Of course I pretty much knew what the book was even when I first saw the trailer a couple of years ago and I tend to stay away from those types of stories as they can get a bit up themselves and this did slighly towards the end but in a nice way. Very good film and one I'll watch again, which is usually the sign for me.

juggerman
That is to say, I liked certain aspects of Doomsday.

Ah now you're speaking my language. Certain parts were indeed good i agree. I just felt it could have been so much better than what it was

samhain
Yeah basically it's the cannibal leader and the guys who wear car parts as plate armour are the bits I like.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.