Does Hollywood need saving from superheroes?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Found this article while looking on IMDB news

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/11/man-steel-hollywood-break-superheroes

Igniz
Originally posted by Kazenji
Found this article while looking on IMDB news

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/11/man-steel-hollywood-break-superheroes

That's funny.I think Hollywood upon this time needs new ideas in making films.The abundance of remakes of old films pretty much says that.And sometimes the remakes itself isn't even appreciated by some movie goers.This is most specifically of fans of the original work comparing the original with the remake.I know there are exceptions.But it would seem Majority of the time.Kinda like writing a book and choosing what kinda of race would the protagonist belongs to.This reminds me of a Simpson episode were Homer's group were writing a story.Homer suggested that the protagonist be a vampire.Then Selma(Don't know the spelling of her name so forgive for me this) points to a shelf full of books about stories of vampires.Bart then said "The Vampire genre is sucked out!" Its like making a story about deities interacting with humans.But you choose Norse or Greek myths only to realize that Marvel has already done those.So what's the alternative?Find a mythology people have never heard about.It will be new to them in a way since it would not be Greek or Norse myth smokin'

Kazenji
Funny at his comments about about female superheroes, Its not because people are not interested in, Its because no one hasn't adapted a good one to film.

CPT Space Bomb
FFS, I would go to the theatres even less if there were no super hero movies. This year, I've only gone to see Iron Man 3, Star Trek, and I'll be watching MOS, Thor: The Dark World and Desolation of Smaug. Maybe another movie or 2 but I doubt it.

WhiteWitchKing
The super heroes genre is a mix of western/action/kung fu/sci-fi genres. So no, Hollywood does not need saving from this genre. It's a fun genre that brings in hundreds of millions and far better than some of the stuff Hollywood has. The horror genre sucks and doesn't even bring in that much. Comedy is a mix bag of good and crappy movies. Action heroes genre doesn't even make that much any more. There's a lot of genre's which suck these days. Superheroes are fun, intriguing, and block busters. Sometimes they're just plain bad though.

roughrider
It's the other way around. Superheroes are what's carrying Hollywood right now. The geeks have inherited the Earth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.