Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel: Which movie is better...or worse?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules_2
So now that Man Of Steel is out and everyone else has seen it other than me is it better than Iron Man 3? Or is it worse? On a side note did MOS do better than IM3 opening night?

Anyways this is to discuss which movie was better or like I said worse in your opinion? I noticed that people are discussing it in the MOS movie thread so I thought why not make a thread to actually discuss it in

Zack Fair
Man of Steel is better.

I don't know if MoS did better in the opening night. I doubt it.

steverules_2
Are critics really bashing it? MOS that is

Zack Fair
Some are, yes.

Mixed response. Some think it has too much action and is too serious. Others praise it for that very reason.

All I wanted was Superman punching shit and having lots of action unlike Superman Returns. My prayers were answered with the added bonus of the story being good and actors doing a good job. Whoever casted the actors he/she knew what he/she was doing.

NotAllThatEvil
I think IM3 had the benefit of having pre established main characters, so if they had the same amount of action, MoS comes off looking worse. Thst being said, MoS had better action and Mr. Crowe was the perfect Jor-El.

steverules_2
There wasn't enough action in Returns and too much in MOS

ares834
Maybe it's just me but I wish the Zod/Superman fight went on longer...

lol

Zack Fair
It should have been the full 2 hours and 23 minutes.

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by ares834
Maybe it's just me but I wish the Zod/Superman fight went on longer...

lol

It's not just you I also wished it were longer. Along with this I wish I could've seen more of Faora even though it would've been out of place.

As for which one is better, its hard to say. I personally enjoyed MoS more than Iron Man 3 but I could be biased due to still feeling the burn from that stupid plot twist it had. Then again Iron Man 3 had Pepper being awesome so there is that to consider too.

steverules_2
What plot twist...in IM3? Yeah that was a kick in the balls

BruceSkywalker
liked both, but Man of Steel is leagues better..

also who cares what critics say.. this film will clearly make enough money for WB to start Man of Steel 2 and the Justice League film as well as NuBats, Wonder Woman, etc

steverules_2
JLA is in the works

quanchi112
Both were disappointments. Unlike Man of Steel Robert Downeys Iron Man character has charisma.

Darth Martin
Iron Man 3, for me, was a big letdown. So much potential squandered. I was one of the few that liked Iron Man 2. Was it as good as the first one? No, but it maintained what made the first successful. The third installment was almost a parody. I hated the twist, thought most of the humor was forced, felt the subplot with the child was not needed, etc. Like the second film, there was a lack of suit action and the Iron Patriot was criminally underused. When Rhodes goes to the foreign country to apprehend the Mandarin and gets put down by the superhumans, an action sequence could have easily been inserted.

For what it's worth, I did HIGHLY enjoy the scene where Iron Man rescues the people off of a descending Air Force One. Awesome scene! But there was just TOO many things making me not like the film. It was probably Marvel Studios' worst effort thus far.

Man of Steel on the other hand was excellent. Basically fast-forwarded through all the origin nonsense, due us being all-too familiar with the story. Good performances across the board, including an excellent one in particular with Crowe. The action sequences displayed here have never been done this way. My jaw was on the floor. Definitely one of the elite films of the genre and I'm highly anticipating the sequel. Seen it twice already and will probably be going back tomorrow afternoon.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by steverules_2
JLA is in the works

yep.. hopefully it will be written well like i think its going to be

Zack Fair
I like Iron Man 3 more and more with each view.

Mindset
IM3

wakkawakkawakka
Meh....Iron Man 3 did the wrong thing the right way which would kind of be impressive if what they did wasn't so wrong no expression. I mean the excecution of the Mandarin twist was great but the twist itself was horrible IMO.

Also for a movie called Iron Man...we saw a tad too much Tony Stark. Still couldn't decide which movie was better when making recomendations but MoS action had me pumped.

Arachnid1
MoS had better action and a better plot. I'm part of the group that thought the twist was a massive mess up. With a villain like Mandarin, it had the potential to be one of the most epic Marvel films to date, but they dropped the ball.

MoS, on the other hand, delivered on Zod. His dialogue was amazing and always got me pumped. When he hijacked all the electronics on earth to make his entrance, you knew it was on. The final fight was awesome too. I've been waiting for a fight like that in a Supes film forever, and they delivered. I just didn't like how serious it all ways, like most critics. Its a superman film, but Batman cracked more jokes than Clark did. The serious tone was a bit much.

Everything else delivered though. Cavill made the perfect Superman in terms of presence and attitude.

Stark has more charisma, but Clark is more known for presence than he is charisma, and that's an area he destroyed in. He has me hyped for the possibilities of future movies, whereas IM3 kind of killed my hype for future movies.

On the other hand, there was no way it would do bad after being the first Marvel movie to follow Avengers. Avengers pretty much guaranteed it success. If IM3 was in the same position as MoS and had to start everything from scratch like IM1, it would have done horrible.

steverules_2
The villain for IM3 was a huge dissapointment, the end fight was kinda dumb too erm

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Arachnid1
MoS had better action and a better plot. I'm part of the group that thought the twist was a massive mess up. With a villain like Mandarin, it had the potential to be one of the most epic Marvel films to date, but they dropped the ball.

MoS, on the other hand, delivered on Zod. His dialogue was amazing and always got me pumped. When he hijacked all the electronics on earth to make his entrance, you knew it was on. The final fight was awesome too. I've been waiting for a fight like that in a Supes film forever, and they delivered. I just didn't like how serious it all ways, like most critics. Its a superman film, but Batman cracked more jokes than Clark did. The serious tone was a bit much.

Everything else delivered though. Cavill made the perfect Superman in terms of presence and attitude.

Stark has more charisma, but Clark is more known for presence than he is charisma, and that's an area he destroyed in. He has me hyped for the possibilities of future movies, whereas IM3 kind of killed my hype for future movies.

On the other hand, there was no way it would do bad after being the first Marvel movie to follow Avengers. Avengers pretty much guaranteed it success. If IM3 was in the same position as MoS and had to start everything from scratch like IM1, it would have done horrible.

thumb up

Of course Batman cracked more jokes. He had 3 movies. Batman Begins was very serious. When did he crack a joke in Begins?

steverules_2
I'm seeing the movie today, in about 2 hours so I'll able to cast my own vote soon smile I'd say I'm more marvel than DC but I will make a fair vote. I'm so pumped for MOS big grin

ares834
Originally posted by Zack Fair
thumb up

Of course Batman cracked more jokes. He had 3 movies. Batman Begins was very serious. When did he crack a joke in Begins?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt4ow7YoyT1ql8i93o1_250.gif

Zack Fair

Damn you to hell!

steverules_2
I saw it, voted for MOS it was indeed a better movie

the ninjak
If IM3 was the film comic fans were anticipating then it would have put bums on seats multiple times.

Instead we got an awkward spy film that treating RDJ like Captain Jack Sparrow, and treated his evolution of tech like a joke.

I'm over Hollywood's idea of comic-books. It will fail as bad as it does in it's own medium. On TV as well.

Money doesn't equate to vision.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I like Iron Man 3 more and more with each view.

Same. On the other hand I dislike Man of Steel the more I think about it.

Ultimately, I just can't overlook what was done to Superman's character. It's sad that Tony Stark came off as a far more successful hero then freaking Superman.

marwash22
the poll is redundant.

Mindship
Iron Man 3 was great largely for Downy's performance with Stark. But it certainly did not have the level of action like with MOS.

I liked both. But MOS gave me more of what I wanted.

COG Veteran
IM3 was a mess of a story, MOS did get a little drawn out at the end fight but it presented more of a show. Betting DC will go for a man of steel 2 before anything else.

-Pr-
Man of Steel was a better movie imo, and by a considerable amount.

Nephthys
Man of Steel blew it out of the water. And I thought Iron Man 3 was very good, but MoS just completely raised the bar. Those fights scenes were some of the best ones I've ever seen.

tkitna
IM3 wasnt very good, but it was a masterpiece compared to MOS.

juggerman
Originally posted by tkitna
IM3 wasnt very good, but it was a masterpiece compared to MOS.

Fail

TheOneFirestorm
Originally posted by juggerman
Fail

Cosigned.

Mindset
Originally posted by COG Veteran
IM3 was a mess of a story Elaborate.

ares834
Killian's plan and motivation. I'm still not sure what he was trying to do.

Mindset
That's because you're retarded though.

ares834
Well, at least I'm not alone in that.

I guess I can assume he was trying to get the president in his pocket so he can make bucket loads of money but it's never really explained.

Nephthys

Its quite clear dude. erm

I mean, obviously he simply watched the Incredibles and decided to copy Syndromes shtick. Duh. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Robtard

Make Extremist perfect.

Mindset
If you didn't understand his plan or motivation, honestly, you're slow.

Basically, he wanted power and his plan was to take over the US government with him controlling the VP, who would become Pres after he killed the current one.

Did you even see the movie?

ares834
Originally posted by Robtard
Make Extremist perfect.

Sure. But why was he trying to kidnap and kill the president and have the vice president ascend to presidency that's where my confusion comes from.

Mindset
Sure. But why was he trying to kidnap and kill the president and have the vice president ascend to presidency that's where my confusion comes from. Power.

Omg dude, I hate you.

ares834
Originally posted by Mindset
If you didn't understand his plan or motivation, honestly, you're slow.

Basically, he wanted power and his plan was to take over the US government with him controlling the VP, who would become Pres after he killed the current one. While simultaneously igniting a full scale war.

Did you even see the movie?

Was that really all he wanted? It seemed to me he wanted the vice president to allow the Extremis to go to full production as the VP wanted to heal his daughter/niece/whatever she was.

Originally posted by Mindset
Power.

Omg dude, I hate you.

Don't worry. The feeling is mutual.

Robtard
Sure. But why was he trying to kidnap and kill the president and have the vice president ascend to presidency that's where my confusion comes from.

Because the VP was in his hands since he promised he'd cure the VP's little girl once Exremist was perfected.

It was a dumb plan though, as once the VP became President and his little girl was cured. There is nothing really holding the President back from turning on the Mandarin.

Mindset
Was that really all he wanted? It seemed to me he wanted the vice president to allow the Extremis to go to full production as the VP wanted to heal his daughter/niece/whatever she was.

Don't worry. The feeling is mutual. But your opinion doesn't matter, mine does.

BruceSkywalker
shall make another phrase for Iron Man.. RDJVerse is good, glad he is back

Nolanverse, Snyderverse rock

DARTH POWER
IM3's plot was a mess. And the film needlessly held back on the superhero action. Rhodes was just completely useless in that film.

MOS was definitely better. It wasn't perfect. I do have a few quarrels with the dialogue and pacing of the movie. But in the end I don't really care since the movie delivered some of the best action sequences and special effects in comic book movie history.

Zack Fair
http://25.media.tumblr.com/a2f8935099efde3c3ebd0a7f9bb1b36c/tumblr_moqhwoHzCL1qfiuomo1_250.gif

Filmigos
I think MOS is still better than IM3. IM 1 is the best of all 3. BUt MOS just had a better story. IM3 is more spectacle, but better than the 2nd one. In my opinion

zeel
honestly didn't care much for IM3 or MOS but if I had to sa
y either were better id say they were a tie.

I think the real question and I have noticed it has been avoided.

What is better Man of Steel or The Avengers.

-Pr-
Avengers was better.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by zeel
honestly didn't care much for IM3 or MOS but if I had to sa
y either were better id say they were a tie.

I think the real question and I have noticed it has been avoided.

What is better Man of Steel or The Avengers.

both are equally good

Nephthys
thumb up

zeel
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
both are equally good

Perhaps. We can all come back in 6 months and look at the numbers and see what Man of Steel does vs Avengers it will be interesting.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by zeel
Perhaps. We can all come back in 6 months and look at the numbers and see what Man of Steel does vs Avengers it will be interesting.

really doesn't matter to me what film makes the most money..

all people will do anyway is continue to cry and whine about stupid shit

in fact, who the frack cares which film is better, i doubt WB and Marvel are worried about it, so why should I???

zeel
really doesn't matter to me what film makes the most money..

all people will do anyway is continue to cry and whine about stupid shit

in fact, who the frack cares which film is better, i doubt WB and Marvel are worried about it, so why should I???

good point.

Rage.Of.Olympus
All this Marvel vs DC shit in movies is so stupid. Even by comic book vs. standards.

I hope they all do good. Except shitty movies. Green Lantern deserved to crash and burn.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
All this Marvel vs DC shit in movies is so stupid. Even by comic book vs. standards.

I hope they all do good. Except shitty movies. Green Lantern deserved to crash and burn.

never ever get me started on ryan reynolds hal or halle berry catwoman

laughing out loud

Zack Fair
Was talking with some guys and one of them dared say he would rather watch Wolverine Origins over iron Man 3.

Seriously????

That is almost as bad as douchebags saying they'd rather watch Superman 4 than Man of Steel

wakkawakkawakka
never ever get me started on ryan reynolds hal or halle berry catwoman

laughing out loud

It took me 7 years to forget catwoman and you brought it up now...you suck.

But as for this thread, I enjoyed MoS mostly because of my Faora-boner and the fact that they didn't turn the Green Goblin equivalent for Iron Man into Syndrome.

Zack Fair
Didn't get the last gg part

wakkawakkawakka
Didn't get the last gg part

I meant that considering the Mandarin to Iron Man is like the Green Goblin to Spiderman, arch-enemies and whatnot, I found it distasteful. That and the Iron Patriot armor wasn't used nearly enough.

and I'm jelly of Gwyneth Paltrow's six-pack no expression

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
It took me 7 years to forget catwoman and you brought it up now...you suck.

But as for this thread, I enjoyed MoS mostly because of my Faora-boner and the fact that they didn't turn the Green Goblin equivalent for Iron Man into Syndrome.

come down

janus77
IM3 was far far better, imo. Much more interesting, better pacing, better action and far more rounded characters.

MoS was a letdown.

WhiteWitchKing
IM 3 was better. MOS had a good story, but the wrong director to tell it. Snyder should have only been allowed to direct the fight scenes.

jinXed by JaNx
easily Man of steel. It felt like everything i always wanted out of a movie as a superman fan. I couldn't get enough. I just wanted more. From begining to end there was an actual story being told. Iron man 3..,its just fast and the furious at this point and for me, it wasn't nearly as slick and and awe inspiring as the action in superman was. While watching Iron man i felt like i was watching a movie studio that was hurrying up a movie without much substance. It seemed as though they were banking far to much on RDJ and the flashy iron man colors.

In superman i felt like someone was telling me story about a character they grew up idolizing.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by janus77
IM3 was far far better, imo. Much more interesting, better pacing, better action and far more rounded characters.

MoS was a letdown. I'll give you better pacing and more rounded characters. Much more interesting and better action though? I will disagree with that.

janus77
I'll give you better pacing and more rounded characters. Much more interesting and better action though? I will disagree with that.
From the bombing of Tony's villa, the MacGyver-y compound break-in, the sky diving/rescue to the finale (which wasn't that good until the suites turned up), I thought it was pretty consistently fantastic for action.

And even though I've never been a fan of IM, the character and what he represents became interesting throughout the films, and Killian and Trev were infinitely more interesting and substantial performances than Plank-Zod and Sheldon-with-boobies playing at being Flash.

That was one of the areas were MoS really disappointed me. When I saw Zod and the Kryptonians basically fighting like live action Final Fight/Double Dragon characters ... a bit of quasi-superspeed, zoom in and an uppercut ... Just wasn't that good.

IM didn't try and produce some new take on delivering the action, but instead just gave it in a very polished way. MoS tried something that didn't fit the situation. If you had an army of Kryptonians swarming Earth, fair enough those zooms and speedbursts would look cool and threatening. With few individuals, it made them look weak and laden and seriously over ambitious.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by janus77
From the bombing of Tony's villa, the MacGyver-y compound break-in, the sky diving/rescue to the finale (which wasn't that good until the suites turned up), I thought it was pretty consistently fantastic for action.

And even though I've never been a fan of IM, the character and what he represents became interesting throughout the films, and Killian and Trev were infinitely more interesting and substantial performances than Plank-Zod and Sheldon-with-boobies playing at being Flash.

That was one of the areas were MoS really disappointed me. When I saw Zod and the Kryptonians basically fighting like live action Final Fight/Double Dragon characters ... a bit of quasi-superspeed, zoom in and an uppercut ... Just wasn't that good.

IM didn't try and produce some new take on delivering the action, but instead just gave it in a very polished way. MoS tried something that didn't fit the situation. If you had an army of Kryptonians swarming Earth, fair enough those zooms and speedbursts would look cool and threatening. With few individuals, it made them look weak and laden and seriously over ambitious. I disagree with everything you say bro, but i'm not going to make an issue of the disagreement. Shame the movie disappointed you.

janus77
I disagree with everything you say bro, but i'm not going to make an issue of the disagreement. Shame the movie disappointed you.
Yeah, written up like that it seems more of a disappointment than it was.

No movie's "perfect", but the teasers from last year had me expecting something epic in terms of emotion and character. I'm probably in the minority in actually liking Superman Returns (except of every scene involving Kevin Spacey's Lex, even tangentially).

Cavill looks the part more than Routh, but he didn't have the material to make Superman "come alive".

Also, the way they presented Krypton wasn't anything special, they had so much to play with there... A genuine "2012" end of the world situation could have been portrayed, just for action and visual spectacle or done in a more substantive way for character building and emotional investment in "Kal".

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I meant that considering the Mandarin to Iron Man is like the Green Goblin to Spiderman, arch-enemies and whatnot, I found it distasteful. That and the Iron Patriot armor wasn't used nearly enough.

thumb up

My thoughts about IM3 exactly.

MOS was MUCH Better. IM3 was really disappointing. MOS met my expectations nicely.

expertadvisor1

Mr Parker
not even close.Iron man was 100 times better.superman 2 was the last GREAT superman movie that was made.

playa1258
Man Of Steel wipes its ass with IM3.

Darth Martin
Will never understand the divide on MOS. Great film.

IM3 on the other hand......

Estacado
Im3 was crap while Mos was a good movie.
Im not planing to watch Im again till I catch it on tv even then I might switch the channel.

BlackZero30x
I liked both. The only thing about IM3 that really bothered me was the twist. It was a really bad Idea and idk why they thought it was a going to go over well.

Darth Martin
I was so disappointed with Iron Man 3 to the point where when it comes out on Bluray I probably won't even cop.

Zack Fair
Buy it. Walk up to a kid wearing Iron man suit/shirt/toys and break it in front of him.

Darth Martin
That'd just be too depressing. I like kids.

DARTH POWER
Buy it. Walk up to a kid wearing Iron man suit/shirt/toys and break it in front of him.

LOL. I felt like doing that with Spider-Man 3.

kellyliang674
Both of them are great, but Man of Steel is better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.