House of M vs. Flashpoint

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scarlet315
These two comics right here is just some of the reasons why i love comics and why how i would persuade a non comic reader to start reading. But if you had to choose which do you like better. They both share something similar in that the world's of both Wolverine and the Flash has been turned upside down. Which do you like better.

JakeTheBank
House of M was a better event and more well thought out and fleshed alternate reality. Flashpoint itself was meh, imo. Both had a huge impact on their respective universes.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
House of M was a better event and more well thought out and fleshed alternate reality. Flashpoint itself was meh, imo. Both had a huge impact on their respective universes.
thumb up

Scarlet315
Originally posted by SevenShackles
thumb up

SPOILER: True i see what you mean. That part where logan has that talk with luke and telling him how he knows everyone was movie material right there.

curryman
Garbage.

Both of 'em.

Golgo13
Originally posted by curryman
Garbage.

Both of 'em.

comicfan11
Flashpoint for the following reasons.

1) It focused on Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman and Wonder Woman (and yes Papa Wayne), characters that usually don't get enough time in the spotlight (apart from WW sometimes).
2) It's importance is felt today with the New 52 (merging of continuities) and the upcoming Trinity War.
3) As an Aquaman fan it was cool to see Aquaman nearly ending Wonder Woman in a straight fight (if not for a timely save by Batson et al), tussling with Superman for a while and completely obliterating Deathstroke and his crew so ridiculously easy (not to mention the whole sink Europe thing).
4) It lead to Johns writing AQ and yes JL (I enjoyed the first arc with DS $hitting on the League, the Graves one was meh, Throne of Atlantis was possibly the best pure superhero event of the New 52)

You can make an objective case for which is a better story, but this is my subjective view.

Cheers.

Digi
Flashpoint was a rushed excuse for a reboot, that disappeared once it was over. House of M is still effecting the MU. The "winner" if such things can be determined with story arcs, is clear.

pym-ftw
What is the battle?

Scarlet315
Originally posted by comicfan11
Flashpoint for the following reasons.

1) It focused on Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman and Wonder Woman (and yes Papa Wayne), characters that usually don't get enough time in the spotlight (apart from WW sometimes).
2) It's importance is felt today with the New 52 (merging of continuities) and the upcoming Trinity War.
3) As an Aquaman fan it was cool to see Aquaman nearly ending Wonder Woman in a straight fight (if not for a timely save by Batson et al), tussling with Superman for a while and completely obliterating Deathstroke and his crew so ridiculously easy (not to mention the whole sink Europe thing).
4) It lead to Johns writing AQ and yes JL (I enjoyed the first arc with DS $hitting on the League, the Graves one was meh, Throne of Atlantis was possibly the best pure superhero event of the New 52)

You can make an objective case for which is a better story, but this is my subjective view.

Cheers.
Originally posted by Digi
Flashpoint was a rushed excuse for a reboot, that disappeared once it was over. House of M is still effecting the MU. The "winner" if such things can be determined with story arcs, is clear.

I'm sorry i'm goinna have to take your guys word for it as i'm not done reading either but will soon. There was an issue in House of M i read twice, cause it was just that good.

Galan007
Flashpoint didn't disappear at all.

Anyway, I enjoyed Flashpoint more, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of X-books. Admittedly, the tie-ins for Flashpoint were much better than the main series overall-- Emperor Aquaman, Citizen Cold, Kid Flash Lost and Project Superman were excellent reads, imo.

comicfan11
Originally posted by Galan007

Anyway, I enjoyed Flashpoint more, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of X-books. Admittedly, the tie-ins for Flashpoint were much better than the main series overall-- Emperor Aquaman, Citizen Cold, Kid Flash Lost and Project Superman were excellent reads, imo.

I agree (especially on Flashpoint not disappearing since every day the NuDCU exists is due to the events of Flashpoint, not to mention it leads to Trinity War where a pay off should be expected).
I'd also throw in the Deathstroke, Batman and Outsider tie-ins as really good.

-Pr-
I didn't read Flashpoint after the first issue.

That said, HOM was shit, and is the reason I refuse to believe Bendis deserves to write X-Men.

Galan007
Originally posted by -Pr-
I didn't read Flashpoint after the first issue. Really? That surprises me.

-Pr-
honestly, I think it was that Flash as the main character, and after reading through Rebirth with Saint Barry, I just wasn't grabbed by it. I may pick it up in trade (the main series anyway). Is it worth that at least?

comicfan11
I didn't read Flashpoint after the first issue.

That said, HOM was shit, and is the reason I refuse to believe Bendis deserves to write X-Men.

Pr as a fellow Aquaman fan, I urge you to read it dude. At least the main book and the Aquaman centric appearances (absolutely including the first 2 issues of Deathstroke which are not collected in the Aquaman trade)

Galan007
honestly, I think it was that Flash as the main character, and after reading through Rebirth with Saint Barry, I just wasn't grabbed by it. I may pick it up in trade (the main series anyway). Is it worth that at least? Honestly, the main series wasn't that great. It was mediocre at best.

Most of the tie-ins, however, are definitely worth reading.

-Pr-
Pr as a fellow Aquaman fan, I urge you to read it dude. At least the main book and the Aquaman centric appearances (absolutely including the first 2 issues of Deathstroke which are not collected in the Aquaman trade)

I'll see how it goes.

Honestly, the main series wasn't that great. It was mediocre at best.

Ah. maybe i'll see if I can find a collected edition then.

comicfan11
Honestly, the main series wasn't that great. It was mediocre at best.

Oh I agree, but I also want to point out that the art is really good (IMO of course) in the main book and still even it was not great per se, it was definitely not bad either (I mean cmon Amazons Attack, Armageddon 2001, Bloodlines, Countdown, etc)

-Pr-
I'm honestly kind of finicky when it comes to altering the main universe. Sometimes I really dislike it, and sometimes I like part of what they've done.

For example, I had no real issue with the changes made in House of M. Then Bendis goes and writes Cyclops as STILL NEEDING GLASSES IN A WORLD WHERE HE HAS HIS HEART'S DESIRE.

So yeah.

Galan007
Oh I agree, but I also want to point out that the art is really good (IMO of course) in the main book and still even it was not great per se, it was definitely not bad either (I mean cmon Amazons Attack, Armageddon 2001, Bloodlines, Countdown, etc) The main series was far from 'bad', but it was definitely not as good as most of the tie-ins were. wink

-Pr-
Bottom of the page.

I'm honestly kind of finicky when it comes to altering the main universe. Sometimes I really dislike it, and sometimes I like part of what they've done.

For example, I had no real issue with the changes made in House of M. Then Bendis goes and writes Cyclops as STILL NEEDING GLASSES IN A WORLD WHERE HE HAS HIS HEART'S DESIRE.

So yeah.

comicfan11
The main series was far from 'bad', but it was definitely not as good as most of the tie-ins were. wink

Exactly smile

Also Pr, my view when it comes to reality altering storylines is this.
If it's something totally peripheral (like an Elseworlds story) I'm fine with whatever they do (except JLA Act of God, which is vomit inducing)

But in Flashpoint's case which is in continuity, it came down to this. The story was not annoying (like Countdown) and not many characters were mishandled to a degree which would take away from my enjoyment of the story (especially since AQ got to wreck big amounts of $hit during the event).

And finally everything went back to main DCU really fast.

My 2 cents.

Golgo13

The Outsider was the best one, IMO.

abhilegend
Project Superman and Batman tie in for flashpoint win it for me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.