Dante (Devil May Cry) vs. Samurai Jack

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sacred 117
This isn't the first match I planned on putting Dante in, but a friend of mine brought it up, so I'm posting it for his sake. We debated on it some, but we didn't cover very much. He seems to see it as a balanced match (however, favoring Jack), and upon further examination, I've come slightly closer to this conclusion. I still have my doubts, so I thought I'd get some other opinions on this.

Demonic Phoenix
Samurai Jack > Dante.

ScreamPaste
This promises to be interesting.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
This promises to be interesting.

That it was. More so than I would have imagined.

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Samurai Jack > Dante.

Tell me how.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Sacred 117

Tell me how.
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25350782.jpg
I also think Jack wins. DevilTrigger would make it more even but Jack has done some seriously ridiculous stuff that for me just puts him over Dantes 'best' nevermind his Average. Not a stomp but Jack is pulling a good majority.

Sacred 117
Dante has Jack beat in power, but Jack has a beyond exponential skill advantage on Dante. The only problem I'm having now is determining the effectiveness of Jack's sword. It's gimmick: it can't kill anyone pure of heart. Dante may have started his career as a cocky little bastard, but that buy no means correlates to him being bad.

Dante's IS of good moral standing, and the argument can be made that he only gets better about that with each installment of the timeline. As far as I can tell, he becomes progressively more humble and prone to self-sacrifice. As much as I'd like to forget about DMC2, I can't for the sake of the discussion. At times, he would "decide" whether or not to help by tossing a coin. It is later revealed that this was a trick coin, and he was helping of his own accord.

This is the only thing that gets me now.

NotAllThatEvil
I thought his sword can not kill good people only when used by a bad person?

Sacred 117
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
I thought his sword can not kill good people only when used by a bad person?

That's what was demonstrated, yes. Aku tried to kill Jack with it and yielded no results. However, this is not exactly the case. It is stated that Odin, Ra, and Vishnu forged the blade from the righteous energy within Jack's father. As seen, using righteous energy against the righteous proves of little to no effect. Say if Jack were to fight Link, Jack would theoretically have no way of harming him because of this. In this case, I'm just having a hard time figuring out how this pertains to Dante, and to what degree.

BloodRain
All I remember is that Jack's high supersonic and runs around with hundreds of tons on his back. But **** feats 'cause **** it, assuming they're physically equals.

I wouldn't say the sword can't harm Dante, nor that it'll do almighty damage to him. all of Dante's tricks and things are going to give him that edge.

NotAllThatEvil
But jack uses his sword against that one robot with the dog, those holy water guardians, and mindcontrol teenagers. None of them were evil and a few others he fought seemed pretty pure. As long as jack thinks he's doing the right thing, he should have no problem with using his sword.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
But jack uses his sword against that one robot with the dog, those holy water guardians, and mindcontrol teenagers. None of them were evil and a few others he fought seemed pretty pure. As long as jack thinks he's doing the right thing, he should have no problem with using his sword.

They may have not been evil, but one is not required to be evil to take damage from the sword. This thread would otherwise be void on the grounds of spite, which is what is currently being called into question. As for the supposedly "pure" ones, did Jack kill them? If so, we're looking at dramatic inconsistency. If not, then the story holds merit. Also, I see nothing evident to Jack's mindset dictating how the sword behaves. I've already explained that it has a definite origin that it abides by.

NotAllThatEvil
The one that comes to mind is that Valhalla Viking and the assassin robot who gave up killing.

Jack is more than capable at defending himself without a sword. He's a master at shaolin martial arts and almost every form of eastern weaponry. He also has military training and is a pretty decent strategist.

Demonic Phoenix
That it was. More so than I would have imagined.

Tell me how.

He's a far better character.

I never specified that I was talking about combat. 313

As far as the match goes, I dunno. Probably Dante, if they get all their equipment. Jack, if they get prep. srug

Emi~Kiro
Jack seems overall better as a character and fighter. I also don't think the sword will be so nerfed that it wouldn't be capable of putting a serious hurting on Dante.

Sacred 117
He's a far better character.

I never specified that I was talking about combat. 313

As far as the match goes, I dunno. Probably Dante, if they get all their equipment. Jack, if they get prep. srug

Characters are considered in full, so Dante is fully equipped. Though I don't see firearms doing shit for him since Jack defeated an entire robot army with a supposed individual accuracy rating of 100%. As far as prep goes, I saw it as more of a spontaneous encounter. I'm not sure Jack actually needs any prep.

BloodRain
For Jack to pull off a win, this match would have to be speed/strength equalized while stripping Dante of his *powers, amps and all weapons but Rebellion. That would basically be a "Whose more skilled", as all Jack has apart from this is his magic sword and calling on ancestors for quick boosts.

*Teleporting, telekinesis, shields, regeneration, flight, air/fire/electric/ice manipulation, strength/speed/regen/durability amplifiers, shockwave slashes, clones, bringing time to a crawl or stopping it altogether.

Demonic Phoenix
Characters are considered in full, so Dante is fully equipped. Though I don't see firearms doing shit for him since Jack defeated an entire robot army with a supposed individual accuracy rating of 100%. As far as prep goes, I saw it as more of a spontaneous encounter. I'm not sure Jack actually needs any prep.

Lol, Dante with all of his equipment would win fairly easily.

Jack could use prep to do stuff like preparing an ambush, getting better equipment, making himself an invisible white ninja (awesome)Originally posted by BloodRain
clones,

Clones? You mean clone. uhuh

Sacred 117
Originally posted by BloodRain
For Jack to pull off a win, this match would have to be speed/strength equalized while stripping Dante of his *powers, amps and all weapons but Rebellion. That would basically be a "Whose more skilled", as all Jack has apart from this is his magic sword and calling on ancestors for quick boosts.

*Teleporting, telekinesis, shields, regeneration, flight, air/fire/electric/ice manipulation, strength/speed/regen/durability amplifiers, shockwave slashes, clones, bringing time to a crawl or stopping it altogether.

To subtract from Dante is essentially spite/CIS. I also get the feeling that Jack's ancestors somehow qualifies as interference, but you'd have to further educate me on that one.

Lol, Dante with all of his equipment would win fairly easily.

Jack could use prep to do stuff like preparing an ambush, getting better equipment, making himself an invisible white ninja (awesome)

Jack being allowed prep time depends on whether or not it's typical of his character.

The Scenario
To subtract from Dante is essentially spite/CIS. I also get the feeling that Jack's ancestors somehow qualifies as interference, but you'd have to further educate me on that one.

In Jack and the Ultra Robots, jacks prays to his ancestors to give him strength and defeat said robots. His sword briefly begins glowing and can cut things Jack couldn't cut before much more easily.

In Jack vs. Aku, Jack creates dozens of replicas of his sword and hides them throughout the battlefield, for no other reason than to mess with Aku and his minions, who were trying to steal it during the fight.

During the pilot episodes, Jack fights an army of robots. He digs pitfalls and fills them with spears, set numerous traps, sets up exploding oil barrels he can ignite with arrows, and dons a full suit of samurai armor and rides a mount against them.

In Jack learns to jump good, he again digs pitfalls, prepares log traps, snares, and sets several ambushes against an opposing tribe of gorillas.

If given the opportunity, Jack can and will prepare, and can fight pretty dirty. He's tricky like that. Though I don't know how much good those kind of traps will fair against Dante. Distractions at best, could possibly give Jack an opportunity for an attack.

Sacred 117
Prep makes more sense to me given how the scenario starts, which I was really indecisive on. Decide for yourself, I guess.

As for Jack's ancestors, I'm still questioning that. This fight is between the two of them, so I'm wondering if his ancestors count as other players, which otherwise is inapplicable.

Pwned
Jack has deflected machine gun fire, so you need to keep that in mind as well. His reflexes are pretty good.

BloodRain
"Style that allows the player to control shadows, effectively creating copies of himself to assist in battle."
Plural, ***** smokingcowboy

To subtract from Dante is essentially spite/CIS. I also get the feeling that Jack's ancestors somehow qualifies as interference, but you'd have to further educate me on that one. Not really spite against him with some limitations if it makes things more even, its definitely spite in his favour with all of his powers. I wouldn't say its outside interference as the ancestors aren't doing the fighting, just giving him strength like the Avatar's Avatar State. Can see why it can be taken why, but I think that if the character is able to do so under solo conditions (like a secondary character doesn't have to willingly go over and participate) then they cant do it in these threads.

Sacred 117
"Style that allows the player to control shadows, effectively creating copies of himself to assist in battle."

Not really spite against him with some limitations if it makes things more even, its definitely spite in his favour with all of his powers. I wouldn't say its outside interference as the ancestors aren't doing the fighting, just giving him strength like the Avatar's Avatar State. Can see why it can be taken why, but I think that if the character is able to do so under solo conditions (like a secondary character doesn't have to willingly go over and participate) then they cant do it in these threads.

I thought it would've been spite seeing as any of Dante's feats or whatever are attributed greatly to his Demon half. CIS I feel would've still applied because that's part of the character. Otherwise, Jack would no longer be fighting Dante, but instead some tool with a bunch of weapons he has no business using.

As for the ancestors, reference to the Avatar State definitely helped to make sense of that. Thanks for clearing the air on that one.

The Scenario
Dante has a lot of powers, though, that can give him some severe advantages in a fight. Really, time manipulation alone is a big one, since Dante is already as fast as or faster than Jack. Granted, a lot of the rest is stuff Aku can do as well, so Jack may have experience there.

Then again, time manipulation is just one of those "I win" type powers.

Zack Fair
He also has crazy regen.

Sacred 117
As Scenario said, Jack has experience dealing with those things. Plus, Jack's not exactly on human level despite being human. If I'm correct, he can jump 100ft, which I believe helps level him out with Dante.

Demonic Phoenix

Jack being allowed prep time depends on whether or not it's typical of his character.

In a random encounter? Obviously not. For a battle involving foes he knows he will face? Definitely. Of course, he has to know what his enemy is capable of.

* Looks at cutscene and gameplay involving Doppelganger, then BR's quote, then back at cutscene and gameplay *

Clearly the devs don't know English.

Gameplay & Cutscene > Incorrect corny-ass description. 313

NotAllThatEvil
At what point in the fight does jack loose his shirt?

BloodRain
Jack probably does have experience from Aku's powers. Its just here its more-or-less a combat version of Aku without the weakess of the sword.

@DP: Nah man, insta Dante army awesome

Demonic Phoenix
Jack probably does have experience from Aku's powers. Its just here its more-or-less a combat version of Aku without the weakess of the sword.

@DP: Nah man, insta Dante army awesome

^ Implying the obvious: that Dante definitely needs an army made up of his clones to beat weak foes. vin

BloodRain
Say that when you visit Dantopia, his personal clone filled city of fangirls dreams. What foe could stand up to thousands of never ending one-liners?

The Scenario
Say that when you visit Dantopia, his personal clone filled city of fangirls dreams. What foe could stand up to thousands of never ending one-liners?

I would have gone with Dante's Paradiso, but sounds good.

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by The Scenario
I would have gone with Dante's Paradiso, but sounds good.
Co-sign with Paradiso idea. I may settle even on Purgatorio, TBH.

NemeBro
If Jack cuts Dante, it will not heal.

Aku has a level of regeneration dwarfing Dante's, and the sword can kill him.

Sacred 117
The sword can kill Aku because it's forged of righteous energy, and Aku's evil. Dante's not, so it's a different story. I'm not saying the sword can't kill Dante, but the effects won't be quite the same.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.