Maul & Dooku vs Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mnat801
All in their peak, no specific scenario.

Vensai
I'd say Sidious. Team 1 would do well but Sidious should be able to separate them and finish it a la Maul and Savage vs Sidious.

S_W_LeGenD
Sidious most likely.

DARTH POWER
Good fight. Dooku on his own puts up a fight, and doesn't get outright stomped like Maul does.

But someone like Maul having Dooku's back suddenly makes Dooku a much bigger threat.

And if it means anything, Dooku was confident that with someone as powerful as Maul on his side, Dooku could overthrow Sidious(TCW- "Monster"wink.

Edit- Just read this is everyone at their peak which means DE Sidious. In that case Sidious wins without much trouble.

ares834
Sidious should be able easily dismiss Maul with the force.

Vensai
Originally posted by ares834
Sidious should be able easily dismiss Maul with the force.
True. But RoTS Sidious would have to find an opening whil engaging both combatants. For example, Dooku could not simply dismiss Ventress or Savage completely until they were separated. Oh, and DE Sidious stomps.

mnat801
Okay let's say its ROTS Sidious. And Darth Power, I also remember Dooku wanting Obi Wan to join with him to overthrow Sidious, so you're right.

Intrepid37
Not sure how much of a fight Dooku puts up alone... a decent one at best. Maul won't tip it.

Sidious for a large majority.

Arab Jedi
I think this battle can be compared to Mace Windu and Kit Fisto vs Sidious in which case Sidious would win. However, I feel that perhaps Dooku and Maul have a better chance at winning since Dooku is such a good swordsman and Maul is very good at defence. To be honest, I feel like this could go either way.

Vensai
Originally posted by Arab Jedi
I think this battle can be compared to Mace Windu and Kit Fisto vs Sidious in which case Sidious would win. However, I feel that perhaps Dooku and Maul have a better chance at winning since Dooku is such a good swordsman and Maul is very good at defence. To be honest, I feel like this could go either way.
Not sure where you got that Maul is great at defense, but Sidious could use dominate him with the force once he gets an opening like in the Lawless.

And if this is peak Sidious, his DE self stomps hard.

Arab Jedi
Originally posted by Vensai
Not sure where you got that Maul is great at defense, but Sidious could use dominate him with the force once he gets an opening like in the Lawless.

I was under the impression that a saber staff offers better defence. however that is probably only against more than one opponent so my mistake. However, even if Sidious did use the force as you say, Dooku could probably hold him off until Maul gets up again and Maul showed some pretty good feats when he fought against Sidious in that same fight so i think it could either way.

Intrepid37
Eh?

Nephthys
IIRC a saber staff isn't actually more effective than a single lightsaber. If anything its less effective because its unwieldy.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Nephthys
IIRC a saber staff isn't actually more effective than a single lightsaber. If anything its less effective because its unwieldy.

So Maul and Opress were at a natural disadvantage every time they were wielding one?

Nephthys
Well I'm going by what Kas'im claims:

""As you already know, the Force is the real key to victory in any confrontation. However, the equation is not so simple. Someone well trained in lightsaber combat can defeat an opponent who is stronger in the Force. The Force allows you to anticipate your opponent's moves and counter them with your own. But the more options your foe has available, the more difficult it is to predict which will be chosen."

Bane thought he understood. "So the double-bladed weapon gives you more options?"

"No," Kas'im replied. "But you think it does, so the effect is the same."

For several seconds Bane thought about the Blademaster's strange words, trying to decipher them. In the end he had to admit defeat. "I still don't understand, Master."

"You know the single-bladed lightsaber well; you use it yourself and you've seen most of the other apprentices use it, as well. My double-bladed weapon seems strange to you. Unfamiliar. You don't fully understand what it can and cannot do." From the lack of impatience or exasperation in the Twilek's tone, Bane could tell this was something he hadn't been expected to grasp on his own.

"In combat, your mind tries to keep track of each blade separately, effectively doubling the number of possibilities. But the two blades are connected: by knowing the location of one, you are automatically aware of the location of the other. In actual practice, the double-bladed lightsaber is more limited than the traditional lightsaber. It can do more damage, but it is less precise. It requires longer, sweeping movements that don't transition well into a quick stab or thrust. Because the weapon is difficult to master, however, few among the Jedi-or even the Sith-understand it. They don't know how to attack or defend effectively against it. That gives those of us who use it an advantage over most of our opponents."

"Like Githany's whip!" Bane exclaimed. Githany eschewed traditional weaponry in favor of the very rare energy whip: just one of the many traits that made her stand out from the other apprentices. It operated on the same basic principles as a lightsaber, but instead of a steady beam, the energy of the crystals was projected in a flexible ribbon that would twist, turn, and snap in response to both Githany's physical motions and her use of the Force.

"Exactly. The energy whip is far less efficient than any of the lightsaber blades. However, nobody ever practices against the whip. Githany knows that her enemies' confusion at being confronted with the whip gives her an edge."

"By telling me this secret, you've given up your advantage," Bane noted, smiling as he pointed to Kas'im's double saber.

"Only to a very small degree," the Twi'lek said. "You now understand why an exotic weapon or unfamiliar style will be more difficult to defend against, but until you become an expert in a particular style, in the heat of combat your mind will still struggle to grasp its limitations.""

So I guess it depends upon their opponent.

Arab Jedi
Originally posted by Nephthys

its may be less effective in one on one but against more opponents it gives a major advantage that allows the user to defend off their opponents' attacks without using too much energy. then when the opponents are tired out from their attacks, the user of the saberstaff can attack. this was shown when Darth Maul fought against Qui Gonn and Obi Wan in the Phantom Menace.

Nephthys
^ Thats true.

Intrepid37
Maul said he chose it because it could strike from more angles.

Nephthys
Exactly. And it can defend from multiple angles as well.

Intrepid37
Yeah.

DARTH POWER
The only advantage it has against multiple opponents is that there are 2 blades to block the attacks of both opponents simultaneously.

But it's movements are restricted with one blade always being opposite the other. I would think Ventress's Jar Kai is more useful against multiple opponents, given how she consistently fights off both Kenobi and Skywalker simultaneously, each one of them being at least on par with her in a one on one.

Whilst all Maul did with his Saber Staff was fight off 2 opponents each one of whom was below him in combat prowess anyway.

I'd say the main advantage of a Saber Staff is it's an unorthodox fighting style which the opponent may find confusing at first. Plus the fact that you can always switch back to a Single Saber which could really confuse your opponent. But that will only work if you've mastered both styles. Opress for instance only seemed comfortable using a Staff and not so much with a Sword.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.