What is an "adult"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
Define an adult without relying on a specific age or laws. Define what traits or qualities you would want in a person before you would label that person as an adult.

For me, it requires:

1. Sexual maturity.

2. The ability to make at least decent decisions regarding complex social situations.

I prefer to add other things, but I will shush and let others discuss this topic, first.

focus4chumps
depends on the context.

totally random example: if we were discussing a court case involving an adult then the legal definition would be the only proper and appropriate one. smile

dadudemon
Originally posted by focus4chumps
depends on the context.

totally random example: if we were discussing a court case involving an adult then the legal definition would be the only proper and appropriate one. smile

Try to stay on topic.

Originally posted by dadudemon
Define an adult without relying on a specific age or laws.

That's specifically not supposed to be how you would define an adult. You, yourself, are supposed to provide your own definition, external of any laws or age.

focus4chumps
but you dont get to do that. no

dadudemon
but you dont get to do that. no

I do.

1. It's my thread
2. That is the point of discussion in the OP.
3. This is the GDF.

If you want to discuss a similar topic, but not the same as mine, open another thread. I'll even civilly participate just to show support for your thread.

In the mean time, please stop derailing my thread with off-topic commentary.

Symmetric Chaos
About 18ish or 19ish or so.

BackFire
Sorry, DDM, you don't get to micromanage a thread just because you started it, that's a moderator's job. If you feel a rule was broken in a thread report the post. Don't play moderator. But I'll save you the trouble, no rule was broken here.

focus4chumps
http://starwars.com/play/online-activities/crawl-creator/index.jsp?cs=za32c958j3

Nephthys
You aren't an adult until you kill your first wampa and eat its heart raw.

http://starwars.com/play/online-activities/crawl-creator/index.jsp?cs=za32c958j3

I laffed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
Sorry, DDM, you don't get to micromanage a thread just because you started it, that's a moderator's job. If you feel a rule was broken in a thread report the post. Don't play moderator. But I'll save you the trouble, no rule was broken here.

Since when was it okay to post off topic in a thread? The OP specifically states, "Define an adult without relying on a specific age or laws."

So what does his first post contain? An age reference, of course.

That's not me micromanaging a thread. I didn't report jack, I just asked him to stay on topic in my thread. We both know he was trolling, as usual.

BackFire
It does not qualify as off topic because you pointlessly attempted to expel a perfectly valid sub-topic of the discussion before the the discussion even took place - presumably because that segment of the topic was not favorable to your argument in the other thread.

He said it depended on the context, which is a reasonable statement, especially since the context of the discussion which spawned this thread is one regarding a court case where legal terms are what actually matter, as opposed to fairly abstract opinion-based thoughts as to what does or doesn't constitute an adult.

focus4chumps
imho arbitrary-natured logic diversions like this belong in the philosophy forum smile

if its here in the gdf, its just you dictating what denotes an adult by eliminating people who disagree.

jinXed by JaNx
We're all struggling to become adults. Adult is an idea. The idea of an adult differs with each culture. I suppose, generally speaking when one is able to be responsible enough to take care of themselves that is when they become an adult. However, that's where it depends on the culture. What is responsible enough? Personally i think you're an adult somewhere in your late teens. biology..,you're body, mind and soul let you know when you're an adult.

Some people are forced to become an adult at a very young age due to environment and this often hinders their intellectual or social growth later on in years.

dadudemon
imho arbitrary-natured logic diversions like this belong in the philosophy forum smile

if its here in the gdf, its just you dictating what denotes an adult by eliminating people who disagree.

Just the same as I told you on Bardock's site, it is a question of physiology, psychology, and sociology: not necessarily philosophy.

It does not qualify as off topic because you pointlessly attempted to expel a perfectly valid sub-topic of the discussion before the the discussion even took place - presumably because that segment of the topic was not favorable to your argument in the other thread.

He said it depended on the context, which is a reasonable statement, especially since the context of the discussion which spawned this thread is one regarding a court case where legal terms are what actually matter, as opposed to fairly abstract opinion-based thoughts as to what does or doesn't constitute an adult.

Quite odd that jinXed by JaNx seemed to get it and discussed, on-topic, the idea of an "adult."

And your presumption is incorrect. If you go back and read that thread, you'll see why I created another thread.

Archaeopteryx
One is biologically an adult when they can reproduce their own species. In human terms one is legally an adult when they can engage in contract. When a human is emotionally an adult is open to interpretation.

Ushgarak
Please don't argue with the mods, DDM. And as BF told you, creating the thread gives you no power to set what is or is not off-topic. That is entirely up to the mods to decide- which is done precisely to stop the kind of kind of ridiculous shut down of reasonable points you are trying to engage in here- and you criticising others for being off-topic as you have tried to do so here is not allowed. BF is telling you that focus' take ob the subject is on-topic, and that is that. There is no need for any more discussion of this.

TobiasFumke
Thanks forum nazi but we can get along just fine without you derailing the threads.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
One is biologically an adult when they can reproduce their own species. In human terms one is legally an adult when they can engage in contract. When a human is emotionally an adult is open to interpretation.

I tend to agree with what you've stated, here. I see the concept of an "adult" to be much more nebulous than most people prefer. As I've stated, some people never reach a point, in their life, to where they can give informed concent in a semi-complex social contract. Still, others reach maturity much sooner than others and have the understanding and ability of even very capable adults.

There was someone like that on KMC a few years back. No way you could have guessed he was 14...trying to remember his name. Sure, a forum is not the best of ways to assess a persons social abilities, understanding, bla bla bla. But it can certainly give you an idea.

NemeBro
Was it Sol Valentine?

/ is the only 14 year old I've ever known on KMC

Mindship
What is an adult?
- Biologically/sexually mature body.
- Capable of formal operational thinking ("abstract"/"conceptual"wink.
- Can delay gratification (put others' needs first).
- Can recognize that "results" matter, not making excuses, when it comes to meeting expectations. Ie, takes responsibility for one's own actions.
- Has perspective on one's own life, a "felt-sense" of one's own personal history.

MF DELPH
I think an adult would be a person of the age and capacity to care for, provide for, and produce offspring, as well as apply critical thinking and take responsibility/liability for their own and their offspring's actions (as some mental conditions can render an individual of post adolescent age with impaired, 'child like' reasoning, they would only "physically" be mature/an adult, but still require guardianship by another).

As a rule of thumb myself, if a person hasn't completed a certain level of education (high school) due to their age and there parent is still their guardian I do not consider them an adult. I realize that in some circumstances people that are 11-17 have been tried as adults for their actions, but I wouldn't myself consider them adults.

dadudemon
Originally posted by NemeBro
Was it Sol Valentine?

/ is the only 14 year old I've ever known on KMC

No, not him. But he is a good choice. Little dude was smarter than most adults and one of the most socially adept people I've ever known. I talk to him every now and again on Facebook.

As an example, remember when you "taught" me the word Fooota (misspelled it because I am at work)? Well, he was the one who explained it to me. no expression Not kidding. And he did it as tastefully as possible which is weird due to the subject.

Originally posted by Mindship
What is an adult?
- Biologically/sexually mature body.
- Capable of formal operational thinking ("abstract"/"conceptual"wink.
- Can delay gratification (put others' needs first).
- Can recognize that "results" matter, not making excuses, when it comes to meeting expectations. Ie, takes responsibility for one's own actions.
- Has perspective on one's own life, a "felt-sense" of one's own personal history.

If you exclude the first bullet point, some people less than 12 would fit your definitions. Though, I think those are rare.

I think your 3rd bullet point is quite important. IMO, it is one of the highest forms of human sociability.

Originally posted by MF DELPH
I think an adult would be a person of the age and capacity to care for, provide for, and produce offspring, as well as apply critical thinking and take responsibility/liability for their own and their offspring's actions (as some mental conditions can render an individual of post adolescent age with impaired, 'child like' reasoning, they would only "physically" be mature/an adult, but still require guardianship by another).

The "care for" part is probably paramount in your definition.

Many people can produce offspring...so I would agree that properly caring for offspring is an important trait for an "adult".

Mindship
If you exclude the first bullet point, some people less than 12 would fit your definitions. Though, I think those are rare.Indeed. These would be quite "mature" and probably very intelligent children.

On the other side of the coin, there are lots of people, say, 30+ years of age, who's behavior may best be described as "juvenille" **egcoughUSCongresscough**

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
On the other side of the coin, there are lots of people, say, 30+ years of age, who's behavior may best be described as "juvenille" **egcoughUSCongresscough**

I would, stoically, say that they also do not fit other portions of your definitions too.

jaden101
The moment I realised I was an adult was when I noticed that when I woke up in the morning and would rather watch the news than watch cartoons.

was gonna say when you stop laughing at farts but I'll never stop laughing at farts.

jinXed by JaNx

Then what is the thread for? He just just asked a guy to stay on topic. There is a subject to each thread, right? the other guy clearly strayed from the subject or just didn't understand the question. Perhaps he wanted to be an ass, either way, i think, DD was just trying to get a relevant response to his question.

Just curious as to what he was micromanaging. confused

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Just curious as to what he was micromanaging. confused Attempting to enforce rules when enforcement is not required because no rule was actually broken, regardless of his feelings telling him they were. "dictate terms" is better suited than "micromanage" but the sentiment of the rebuke is the same.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Attempting to enforce rules when enforcement is not required because no rule was actually broken, regardless of his feelings telling him they were. "dictate terms" is better suited than "micromanage" but the sentiment of the rebuke is the same.

It is not up for debate. Regardless of whether or not you are wrong about what you posted above, it doesn't matter: I was wrong. Regardless of whether or not it is common internet courtesy to stay on topic, I was wrong. Regardless of whether or not multiple in the thread were able to easily discuss the opening post, on topic, it doesn't matter: I was wrong.

I've admitted I was wrong. Can we move on and not rehash the butthurt?

Edit - Lemme be clear that the "butthurt" is my own butthurt because I was clearly wrong for asking posters to stay on topic in the thread I created. Only a moderator can ask a person to stay on topic...on KMC.

Lord Lucien
I like turtles.

Astner
You're an adult when you're economically independent and there should probably be some standard in regards to behavior, but I'm too tired to think of one.

Shabazz916
18 years old. Ppl. Mature physically, mentally, & emotionally differently based on genes so lets keep it at 18 years old.

Lord Lucien
Unless you want to buy alcohol.

Major_Lexington
18 yr olds can buy alcohol in Europe

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Major_Lexington
18 yr olds can buy alcohol in Europe 'Murica, b*tch.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Astner
You're an adult when you're economically independent and there should probably be some standard in regards to behavior, but I'm too tired to think of one.

How do you define economically independent though? What about people on government benefits? And if those don't count, why do people count that rely on government healthcare, public streets, public education, etc.? What about couples that can only be "economically independent" by pooling their resources together. What about a stay at home dad that is supported by his husband? What about a 50 year old with a trust fund? What about a 70 year old who is dependent on their children? What about a beggar on the street who only survives on charity?

If you are not sure where I'm going with this let me spell it out: You put forth a terrible, terrible definition of adulthood.

NemeBro
lol

Bentley
An animal bound by the law

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
How do you define economically independent though? What about people on government benefits? And if those don't count, why do people count that rely on government healthcare, public streets, public education, etc.? What about couples that can only be "economically independent" by pooling their resources together. What about a stay at home dad that is supported by his husband? What about a 50 year old with a trust fund? What about a 70 year old who is dependent on their children? What about a beggar on the street who only survives on charity?

If you are not sure where I'm going with this let me spell it out: You put forth a terrible, terrible definition of adulthood.

Yeah, pretty sure it means not having to rely on your guardians for your primary needs. (Food, shelter, utilities)

In fact, your post was very Astner-ish. uhuh

He probably meant "financially indepedent"?

Lord Lucien
He probably meant "financially indepedent"? A wizard should know better.

Symmetric Chaos
Yeah, pretty sure it means not having to rely on your guardians for your primary needs. (Food, shelter, utilities)

In which case the 70-year-old supported by her kids is a child?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.