The Nintendo Turns 30: Share Your Memories

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Monday marks the 30th anniversary of the original Nintendo Entertainment System. It was launched in Japan on July 15, 1983, as the Famicom, and changed the way we played for years to come.

http://mashable.com/2013/07/15/nes-memories/

I forgot how I first got an NES but I do know that Super Mario Bros 3 was my most favorite game on the system. It was also the one I got the most excited for. And when I got it I made sure everyone knew by running up the street with 2 friends of mine while we raced to my house to play, almost tripping a couple of times, while shouting out the top of my lungs almost breathlessly with the cartridge raised high on one hand as if it were an Olympic torch, book bag falling off, eyes wide open and repeatedly and ecstatically yelling "Im The First One On This Street With Super Mario 3!" lol. All the way until I got home..

Ridley_Prime
Pretty much had the same experience with the first Super Mario Bros as you did with 3 when I was like 4 years old. Good times...

In b4 they should go 3rd party.

BackFire
I played the original Zelda with my dad, I was too young to figure things out by myself so we utilized team work. It's actually one of my first memories.

NemeBro
DUCK. HUNT.

Impediment
I was 5 years old when the NES launched in North America.

I spent many hours playing Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt.

Eventually, I became better and better at solving puzzles, timing, and mental agility so I started playing games like the Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Castlevania. I was hooked then, and am still hooked now.

Bro SMASH
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt...though I played Super Mario Bros. the most.

Kazenji
I only ever played the NES when i was over at a friend place, I was more of a Sega person

but i did play Duck Hunt & the Mario games.

VG_Addict
I don't think many people on here are Nintendo fans.

ScreamPaste
Nintendo pretty much raised me. Lol. I played SMB and SMB 2 religiously as a toddler, never owned my own SMB 3 but I loved it and still go back and play it when it's available. I love the NES.

VG_Addict
My first Nintendo console was the SNES. Should I leave?

Ridley_Prime
Not at all. Now if it were the N64 or something after, then yeah. I would say you can leave.

VG_Addict
Actually, my first Nintendo system was a handheld, the Game Boy.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
they should go 3rd party.

Cyner
My first game was the Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt combination. I was 5 at the time and was scared of Bowser so every time I came up against Bowser I just had my father beat him for me.

I played Legend of Zelda when I was about 7, the exploration and adventure was just enthralling. I realized that the game would take a lot more work than SMB so I ended up drawing my own dungeon maps, documenting every detail along the way.

I got SMB3 for my birthday one year and I remember holding it above my head like I just won the super bowl or something. Amazing game then as it is now.

BloodRain
The first of many experiences of game-rage.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Monday marks the 30th anniversary of the original Nintendo Entertainment System. It was launched in Japan on July 15, 1983, as the Famicom, and changed the way we played for years to come.

http://mashable.com/2013/07/15/nes-memories/

I forgot how I first got an NES but I do know that Super Mario Bros 3 was my most favorite game on the system. It was also the one I got the most excited for. And when I got it I made sure everyone knew by running up the street with 2 friends of mine while we raced to my house to play, almost tripping a couple of times, while shouting out the top of my lungs almost breathlessly with the cartridge raised high on one hand as if it were an Olympic torch, book bag falling off, eyes wide open and repeatedly and ecstatically yelling "Im The First One On This Street With Super Mario 3!" lol. All the way until I got home..

Nintendo is as old as me? YAY

I remember so much. The TMNT game. Mario 1 and 2...3 was the most awesome game ever. It still rocks today.

Duck hunt? Wow I remember standing on a ladder to put the gun at the screen point blank to kill all the fkn ducks.

That mother fkn dog!Originally posted by VG_Addict
I don't think many people on here are Nintendo fans. You're wrong.

Some of us may be disgrunted and a bit pissed off with Nintendo...but for many of us they were the very first we loved and we're only this way because Nintendo doesn't seem to care about our demographic....or just doesn't give us enough love.

Zack Fair
A demographic they helped create might I add.

Smasandian
I used by a Nintendo fan. I had NES, Game Boy, N64, GameCube and a Wii.

But I'm not buying another Nintendo console unless they seriously change. They have released too many clones from their beloved franchises for me to care. After Skyward Sword and how much I hated that game and the lack of 3rd party support throughout the last three generations, I gave up.

janus77
Wow, ninty's 30...

My first Nintendo was the NES, specifically the UK version of the package containing Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

Awesome game, spent days playing it with a cousin, got it completed. Went and bought Super Mario Bros. 2, Adventures of Link, Castlevania ... epic gaming times.

Impediment
My mom is all Christian and shit so she always made a scream over "Santanic" games (Yes, she said Santanic and not Satanic) that would warp my mind.

My dad had to coerce her into letting us buy Castlevania, since he wanted to play it with me, and she finally relented.

When Final Fantasy released, I had to fight tooth and nail to get it since she acquainted FF with D&D which, of course, in her eyes was Santanic.

She's calmed down a LOT over the years. She still teases me since I'm an atheist.

Bardock42
http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/static/images/image/santana.jpg

Santanic games...

Darth Martin
Two words:

Perfect Dark

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Impediment
My mom is all Christian and shit so she always made a scream over "Santanic" games (Yes, she said Santanic and not Satanic) that would warp my mind.

My dad had to coerce her into letting us buy Castlevania, since he wanted to play it with me, and she finally relented.

When Final Fantasy released, I had to fight tooth and nail to get it since she acquainted FF with D&D which, of course, in her eyes was Santanic.

She's calmed down a LOT over the years. She still teases me since I'm an atheist. LoL that usually happens. Kids with overly religious parents tend to rebel and become atheist. At least from my xp anyways.Originally posted by Darth Martin
Two words:

Perfect Dark ...

janus77
Originally posted by Impediment

She's calmed down a LOT over the years. She still teases me since I'm an atheist.
My mum tried her best to ruin my childhood with that crap, I did my best to ignore it. Got the Nintendo as a treat for doing well in school, well for attending more actually.

Told her I'd do my prayers if she let me get the games... Then went back on the deal once I got them laughing out loud.

I found my true faith (agnosticism) when I was 8, never deviated for the good lord Maybe since.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.