Link vs Thor (stips inside)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack Fair
Ganon has grown tired of having his dark reigns foiled by the sword of evil's bane. He has managed to manipulate the triforce of power to vanish the master sword to the void between dimensions.

The evil within Ganon's heart has corrupted the land to the point of it no longer being fertile.

The goddesses are no where to be found, but their champion has emerged. Link begins his quest. He is eventually informed by Zelda that there is one hope left for all of Hyrule, mjolnir. Enchanted hammer that once belonged to a god who defied the goddesses who created Hyrule. His uru hammer lies dormant in the same place the thunderer battled the goddesses.

Link finds the magical weapon and approaches it.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3vzt1FTm11rt0331o1_500.gif

He reads the enchantment:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/1/12397/1892008-mjolnir.jpg

Without stalling any further Link reaches for the weapon and attempts to lift it:

Is he worthy, or is the land of hyrule cursed forever?

ScreamPaste
Oh Jesus Christ, I haven't even read the OP yet and I'm already about to pack my things. haermm

Edit: Read it now. I AM INTRIGUED. This thread is actually awesome, and I have no idea if Link can lift Mjolnir.

Impediment
Link is worthy. Even without the Triforce of Courage, he's worthy.

COG Veteran
Link lifts it. Greatest hero in his universe.

quanchi112
Link fails to lift it. Badly. Not worthy.

Nephthys
Link smashes too much of other peoples property to be worthy! :<

AuraAngel
What does it take to be worthy anyway?

The Scenario
Originally posted by quanchi112
Link fails to lift it. Badly. Not worthy.

What's the criteria? Pretty sure Link has selflessness down, as well as humility and general good person-ness. Courage is unquestionable, and you yourself say Link is pure good.

So what else is necessary?

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Impediment
Link is worthy. Even without the Triforce of Courage, he's worthy. I'd argue a Link that has yet to go on his adventure might not be able to lift it. Link in the Kokiri forest in OoT might have trouble. Link heading off to Termina at the end though? Less likely.
Originally posted by AuraAngel
It's not niceness or politeness. Thor's maintained worthiness during some low moments. What actually makes someone 'worthy' is a bit unclear sometimes.

It seems to be tied to willingness to help others/self sacrifice though. IIRC Thor originally became worthy by saving Sif from Hela.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by The Scenario
What's the criteria? Pretty sure Link has selflessness down, as well as humility and general good person-ness. Courage is unquestionable, and you yourself say Link is pure good.

So what else is necessary?

This^, and the fact that Captain America can lift it. In terms of nobility these two rival each other, but Link has demonstrated heroic greatness equal to or greater than Captain... NUMEROUS TIMES. Basically, Link is like... Warrior Jesus. He should have no problem with this.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
I'd argue a Link that has yet to go on his adventure might not be able to lift it. Link in the Kokiri forest in OoT might have trouble. Link heading off to Termina at the end though? Less likely.

It's not niceness or politeness. Thor's maintained worthiness during some low moments. What actually makes someone 'worthy' is a bit unclear sometimes.

It seems to be tied to willingness to help others/self sacrifice though. IIRC Thor originally became worthy by saving Sif from Hela.

It states in the OP that Ganon has been defeated before, so Link's journey(s) have likely already taken place. It even sounds as if he's in the middle of one. As for self-sacrifice, there's absolutely no question about that. In fact, and I know this is gonna sound kinda outlandish, but Link should be more worthy than Thor. Thor is known to be arrogant, even after reacquiring Mjolnir. Aside from taking life (for the greater good, mind you), Link has shown no negative personality traits. In other words, he's more selfless than Thor. Do correct me if I'm missing anything.

quanchi112

So what else is necessary? Superman has him beat in spades here and outside certain dreadful circumstances Superman couldn't lift it. Link is screwed.

The Scenario
Canon Marvel/DC crossover?

Again, though, do you know the criteria? Since Superman also has Thor beat in those areas, it seems goodness isn't necessarily worthiness?

Sacred 117
What makes Link less pure and noble than Superman?

Impediment
Link is worthy enough to wield the Master Sword.

He's worthy enough to wield Mjolnir.

He is the prophesied Hero of Time: the hero that will conquer evil and the forces of darkness.

Somebody please tell me the difference and why he isn't.

I'll lap up your trollish comments like kittens under a cow's udder.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by AuraAngel

The writer saying so at the end of the day. This honestly could be argued either way because characters who aren't selfless and willing to sacrifice themselves for a greater cause has lifted it, like Bill.

ares834
Link is worthy enough to wield the Master Sword.

He's worthy enough to wield Mjolnir.

He is the prophesied Hero of Time: the hero that will conquer evil and the forces of darkness.

Somebody please tell me the difference and why he isn't.

I'll lap up your trollish comments like kittens under a cow's udder.

Plenty of other heroes such as Superman (who is the epitome of heroes) are unworthy.

Just because Link is the Hero of Time/Wind/whatever doesn't mean he is worthy.

Impediment
I disagree.

Link is a hero chosen by fate/time/the goddesses/etc to be THE HERO above all.

He wields a piece of the essence of the goddess of courage.

Why wouldn't he be worthy?

What makes Spider-Man 2099, Wonder Woman, Conan, and Captain America different from Link?

ares834
And Superman isn't meant to be "THE HERO above all" in the DC universe?

Simply being a hero, or even THE hero, isn't enough to be worthy.

Impediment
No, he isn't. He's an alien who physiology is augmented by Earth's yellow sun.

So what makes the wielder "worthy", then? If the Hero of Time isn't worthy, then who is?

What makes the characters I mentioned earlier worthy since they lifted Mjolnir?

Wei Phoenix
I disagree.

Link is a hero chosen by fate/time/the goddesses/etc to be THE HERO above all.

He wields a piece of the essence of the goddess of courage.

Why wouldn't he be worthy?

What makes Spider-Man 2099, Wonder Woman, Conan, and Captain America different from Link?

Different and stronger pantheon, Odin not wanting him to lift it, being a good guy, or a great hero isn't enough, if that was the case then nearly any good hearted and selfless hero would be able to lift wield the hammer. Thor could also not want him to lift the hammer. Holding one magical item and being worthy of it doesn't make you automatically eligible to wield another. That being said, there's nothing saying that he can or can't, it's like I said, it's up to the writer. There is no wrong opinion to this thread.

ares834

erm

By the same logic Link is just a little boy who runs around in a green skirt swinging a magic sword.

So what makes the wielder "worthy", then? If the Hero of Time isn't worthy, then who is?

I don't know what it takes to lift the hammer. Certainly being heroic and selfless isn't enough.

Impediment
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
That being said, there's nothing saying that he can or can't, it's like I said, it's up to the writer. There is no wrong opinion to this thread.

That makes sense.

I'm tired of trying to prove who is worth and who isn't. A hero is a hero is a hero, and people will debate their worthiness excessively.

My vote for Link is still "yes".

Impediment
Originally posted by ares834
I don't know what it takes to lift the hammer. Certainly being heroic and selfless isn't enough.

awermm

Wei Phoenix

Yes he is, regardless of Superman's origins, he's still seen as the perfect hero, the idol, the one who can inspire billions. The one who would die for one, who would die for a dog. He's the embodiment of many selfless values and at the end of the day more of a "Hero" than Link and most of the people that have tried or succeeded in lifting it, hell he's more of a "hero" than Thor. He doesn't kill, always tries to see the good in others, forgiving and all of that textbook perfect hero crap.

ares834
awermm

What? I'm not arguing that Link can't lift the hammer after all. Just saying that Link being the Hero of Time and chosen by the gods doesn't automatically make him worthy.

Impediment
Superman will kill.

Impediment
What? I'm not arguing that Link can't lift the hammer after all. Just saying that Link being the Hero of Time and chosen by the gods doesn't automatically make him worthy.

I wasn't being condescending. Just my favorite smiley.

I guess your reasoning can hold water, though.

quanchi112
Canon Marvel/DC crossover?

Again, though, do you know the criteria? Since Superman also has Thor beat in those areas, it seems goodness isn't necessarily worthiness? Superman has Link beat in terms of heroics by millions of miles in terms of goodness, power, feats, strength, history.

Goodness isn't since he couldn't budge it and he outclasses Link in every conceivable way.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Sacred 117
What makes Link less pure and noble than Superman? laughing out loud

The Scenario
I think the difference between Superman and Link would be a narrative one. Link is an Arthurian ideal, and is routinely tested for the approval of higher powers. His story has always been something of a young boy growing into the role of a hero as it is thrust upon him. He's the Legendary Hero, and his setting and narrative are much more receptive to needing worthiness to wield a weapon.

I notice Wonder Woman and Conan were listed among those able to lift it. You think their stories and connections have something to with it? Mythic Heroes seem to have an edge here. Superman might just be too Sci-Fi to wield a fantasy weapon.

What I'm saying here is from a writing perspective Link being able to wield Mjolnir is all kinds of appropriate. Really it just makes more sense story wise for a Hero chosen by the gods to wield a godly weapon than for an alien to do the same.

Right?

Wei Phoenix
I think the difference between Superman and Link would be a narrative one. Link is an Arthurian ideal, and is routinely tested for the approval of higher powers. His story has always been something of a young boy growing into the role of a hero as it is thrust upon him. He's the Legendary Hero, and his setting and narrative are much more receptive to needing worthiness to wield a weapon.

I notice Wonder Woman and Conan were listed among those able to lift it. You think their stories and connections have something to with it? Mythic Heroes seem to have an edge here. Superman might just be too Sci-Fi to wield a fantasy weapon.

What I'm saying here is from a writing perspective Link being able to wield Mjolnir is all kinds of appropriate. Really it just makes more sense story wise for a Hero chosen by the gods to wield a godly weapon than for an alien to do the same.

Right?

Beta Ray Bill says hi.

quanchi112
Beta Ray Bill says hi. Nicely done. He just really wants Zelda characters to win. That's my biggest problem they are usually ignorant and try to argue anyways.

The Scenario
Beta Ray Bill says hi.

I doubt he's a better person than Superman so clearly something else going on there. He's genetically Thor, right? Could see him sliding technicalities.

quanchi112

Right? Beta Ray Bill like he said soundly destroys he is too Sci Fi. Link can wield his sword not Mjolnir. Superman is better than Link at everything.

The Scenario
Nicely done. He just really wants Zelda characters to win. That's my biggest problem they are usually ignorant and try to argue anyways.

I'm legitimately curious about the criteria being used to judge worthiness here. Do you have anything that prevents Link from being worthy? If goodness was needed, Superman wouldn't have a problem, so it must be something else, yes?

Why not try to find patterns in who could lift it?

ScreamPaste
I doubt he's a better person than Superman so clearly something else going on there. He's genetically Thor, right? Could see him sliding technicalities.
You're thinking of Ragnarok I think.

Beta Ray Bill is an alien who proved worthy of wielding Mjolnir and Odin made him his own matching hammer. He kind of looks like a horse.

The ability to wield Mjolnir is weird, what 'worthy' actually means is an unknown. It's tied in some way to goodness and self sacrifice, but it's not just those, and even when Thor's being kind of le dick the hammer doesn't change it's mind. He's even wielded it while mind controlled.

Sometimes it seems tied to Viking Manliness, but we also have a paramedic who was able to lift Mjolnir on panel once, so it could just be the inability to not help others, or something.

Wei Phoenix

He's a korbonite. He's not related to Thor or had anything to do with Thor prior to meeting him and fighting him.

Bill is more sci-fi than Superman.

quanchi112
I'm legitimately curious about the criteria being used to judge worthiness here. Do you have anything that prevents Link from being worthy? If goodness was needed, Superman wouldn't have a problem, so it must be something else, yes?

Why not try to find patterns in who could lift it? Link couldn't IMO due to being just a shitty hero who doesn't compare to WW, Cap, or Bill.

You have no idea about Bill. That's amusing as you try to reach the same conclusion without knowing the details.

The Scenario
So I'm wrong there. Okay, just means we can cross that off the list.

Does Bill have something Superman lacks, then? Wonder Woman, too, if she can. Was a reason ever given for Superman's unworthiness?

(Is Mjolnir sentient?)

ScreamPaste
Thor talks to it sometimes, and he's referenced it as having thoughts, but it could just be weird viking attachment to his weapon since I've never known it to communicate to anyone but Thor if it is indeed communicating at all, and it's ability to sense worthiness is usually referred to as a function of enchantment rather than an excalibur style ability to make a choice. It doesn't seem to have compunctions about being turned on Thor, anyway.

Still, Thor says it thinks things occasionally. "My mjolnir finds that funny, how about yours?"
"Can't you hear it laughing?"
^An exchange between two Thors who met because time travel.

Wei Phoenix
Bill picked it up out of curiosity is what's stated. He wasn't fighting in defense of some defenseless innocents directly although his ship deemed Thor as a threat but what I'm getting at is that there wasn't some huge inner monologue about how he's the only one that can stand against this and do what needs to be done, self-righteousness, justice and whatnot. I don't know if there's a significant difference between any of the characters that can and can not lift the hammer. Bill and Diana do share that warrior's spirit though.

The Scenario
Warrior's Spirit is a tempting point to jump on, but for right now I'm more curious about Superman. Mostly because I want to know why him being unworthy didn't immediately make him question himself and set off on some path a self-discovery ending with him finally picking up the hammer. Crowds cheer and warm fuzzies all around.

But then, I'm no writer. Gonna look this up if I can.

quanchi112
So I'm wrong there. Okay, just means we can cross that off the list.

Does Bill have something Superman lacks, then? Wonder Woman, too, if she can. Was a reason ever given for Superman's unworthiness?

(Is Mjolnir sentient?) It isn't that easy. But there is no reason why Link can due to those who have failed.

No reason. Just not worthy.

NotAllThatEvil
Can you define the requirements of the hammer?

quanchi112
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Can you define the requirements of the hammer? Link can't lift it since Superman can't.

Zack Fair
The enchantment is all there is to it. Nothing concrete has ever been stated as far as I know.

I think given the circumstances of the thread Link would probably be able to lift the hammer if only for this time of need. Similar to how Superman was able to wield it during the JL/Avengers crossover.

But alas an argument can be made both ways IMHO.

NotAllThatEvil
Yet wonder woman and horse face can. Are they more heroic than supes?

Zack Fair
Not a chance.

I think the best argument for Link is Captain America being able to lift it and not Superman.

Does anyone have the scans of Cap wielding mjolnir? I've read about it forever now but have never encountered the scans. =\ An issue number would do if I can find the issue online.

quanchi112
Yet wonder woman and horse face can. Are they more heroic than supes? Simply being more heroic isnt enough. Superman beats Link at everything though.

NotAllThatEvil
Such as?

Zack Fair
Power, heroic, goodness, inspiration. You name it.

Link might be a better "warrior" though, but even that is iffy.

Trust me...you don't want to debate against Supes.

quanchi112
Such as? Everything. Links are pretty much all different. Link can't even approach WW for pity's sake.

NotAllThatEvil
Power is a given, but that doesn't seem like a worthiness issue. What does supes have over link that will stop him from using it?

Wei Phoenix
This is slowly about to turn into a Superman vs Link thread in some way.

quanchi112
Power is a given, but that doesn't seem like a worthiness issue. What does supes have over link that will stop him from using it? He edges him out in every characteristic possible. That's why. Power level is just the tip of the iceberg.

NotAllThatEvil
How so? Besides being able to bench more, what makes clark a better candidate?

ScreamPaste
This is slowly about to turn into a Superman vs Link thread in some way.
Nah, any thread with a Zelda character in it eventually ceases to be about any of the characters in it and more about trying to make Quan say something that makes sense or is reasonable.

It's not really possible to say for certain whether Link can lift Mjolnir or not. He's certainly got the spirit of a warrior and a hero, and he's good and awesome and self sacrificing, but those aren't 'stated' requirements so we can't know 100%, so everyone is free to really come to their own conclusion on this one imho.

Which means Quan is going to bash Link for attention, I guess.

quanchi112
How so? Besides being able to bench more, what makes clark a better candidate? More noble, greater history, more heroic, more skilled, greater impact, etc.

quanchi112
Nah, any thread with a Zelda character in it eventually ceases to be about any of the characters in it and more about trying to make Quan say something that makes sense or is reasonable.

It's not really possible to say for certain whether Link can lift Mjolnir or not. He's certainly got the spirit of a warrior and a hero, and he's good and awesome and self sacrificing, but those aren't 'stated' requirements so we can't know 100%, so everyone is free to really come to their own conclusion on this one imho.

Which means Quan is going to bash Link for attention, I guess. Yawn.

NotAllThatEvil
More noble, greater history, more heroic, more skilled, greater impact, etc.
What has he done to makr himself more noble? History has nothing to do with it. How is he more skilled? He knows some basic earth martial arts and some kryptonian ones, but link is a master at any handful of weaponry. And why is he more heroic? Does link not make sacrifices for the greater good? I recall you saying in another thread, that link was pure and noble without any form of tarnish. Do you take that back now?

quanchi112
What has he done to makr himself more noble? History has nothing to do with it. How is he more skilled? He knows some basic earth martial arts and some kryptonian ones, but link is a master at any handful of weaponry. And why is he more heroic? Does link not make sacrifices for the greater good? I recall you saying in another thread, that link was pure and noble without any form of tarnish. Do you take that back now? Dear lord. Are you a paste alt ? That would make sense with the rubbish you're posting.

Link is taught and trained with very little experience compared to Superman who lives in a more dangerous universe where a sword isn't made to defeat his antagonist.

He is noble but Superman is more noble. There are leagues of heroes and Link doesn't even approach these comic book gods.

Nephthys
Wonder Woman picking it up while Superman couldn't makes me think its not as simple as just being a good person. I think its more about being a warrior or something closer to Thor's own attributes as a measure.

In which case I don't know. Link is definitely a warrior, but he doesn't particularly strike me as very hardcore or that he stands out as a warrior that much.

quanchi112
If that was the case any noble warrior from the warrior like Asgardians could replicate it like Thor. Link cannot.

NotAllThatEvil
Dear lord. Are you a paste alt ? That would make sense with the rubbish you're posting.

Link is taught and trained with very little experience compared to Superman who lives in a more dangerous universe where a sword isn't made to defeat his antagonist.

He is noble but Superman is more noble. There are leagues of heroes and Link doesn't even approach these comic book gods.
Darn, you figured it out. Thats right, I am paste.

BloodRain
..I knew it

Threads 4 pages too much effort. What are the canon descriptions for using it, and who has failed/succeed to?

Zack Fair
Masterson, Captain America, Beta Ray Bill and WW/Superman(there were circumstances in Supes case) in crossovers are the ones I know.

I think the key lies within Cap and Masterson.

ScreamPaste
Darn, you figured it out. Thats right, I am paste.
Yep, you, Xanatos, NemeBro, Cyner, and IIRC Voyeur are all my socks. So sayeth Paste, so must it be.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Masterson, Captain America, Beta Ray Bill and WW/Superman(there were circumstances in Supes case) in crossovers are the ones I know.

I think the key lies within Cap and Masterson.
Wasn't Masterson a special case where he had to become Thor to save his life or something? I haven't actually read the issues involving Masterson Thor. mmm

Wei Phoenix
DOOM never really wanted to lift it in the first place. smile

BloodRain
Question is if Link has the shared qualities of Thor and Cap, maybe Masterson and Bill.

Maybe if Link grew a beard..

quanchi112
Darn, you figured it out. Thats right, I am paste. Kind of obvious.

JakeTheBank
Being a good person in of itself doesn't mean you can lift Mjolnir. It's a combination between being good in the general, pure of heart, and a noble warrior who looks beyond himself for the greater good, able to make tough choices.

I think it's a tough question to ask because each Link (for the most part according to LoZ canon) is different, and virtually all of them have little in the way of character development. Link's basically a blank canvas, and while he is undoubtedly one of gaming's greatest characters, as far as actual character goes, he seems to be lacking in my honest opinion.

ScreamPaste
It really depends on which game you're talking about. The 2d Links had very little character development, but the jump to 3D was very good to him.

The Scenario
Yep, you, Xanatos, NemeBro, Cyner, and IIRC Voyeur are all my socks. So sayeth Paste, so must it be.

There was one more that got some accusations. It's that one account I use when a lot of videos are needed.

NotAllThatEvil
The Hero og Time has straight up dialogue if you count the hero's shade. He seems like a nice enough guy, just a little hard on himself and others. I think Supes problem was he's a lover not a fighter. One of the requirements seems to be the desire to bust some heads... for justice, of course.

ScreamPaste
There was one more that got some accusations. It's that one account I use when a lot of videos are needed.
I have so many personalities I use I sometimes forget some of them are me, even when I'm talking to them. haermm

ScreamPaste
The Hero og Time has straight up dialogue if you count the hero's shade. He seems like a nice enough guy, just a little hard on himself and others. I think Supes problem was he's a lover not a fighter. One of the requirements seems to be the desire to bust some heads... for justice, of course.
The depiction of the Hero of Time actually reminds me pretty strongly of Thor in God of Thunder. (Which by the way is ****ing amazing and you need to read. Seriously great shit.)

He also has MM, which is a very big, interactive character study for him, really.

The Scenario
Among Wonder Woman, Conan, Captain America, and Beta Ray Bill, there does seem to be a pattern of Soldiers/Warriors going on. Someone mentioned a Spiderman, does he fit? Aside from that there's the paramedic who might not be a fighter. Still, that's one commonality between quite a few wielders, and Superman notably doesn't fit in that category very well.

We got a starting criteria?

Zack Fair
The depiction of the Hero of Time actually reminds me pretty strongly of Thor in God of Thunder. (Which by the way is ****ing amazing and you need to read. Seriously great shit.)

He also has MM, which is a very big, interactive character study for him, really. MM > OoT.

=O

TBH All Zeldas are pretty damn good. I have no qualms with people having different favorites.

To me the be all/end all Zelda is A Link to the Past.

EditAnyways this was off topic, so I'm stopping. Don't want to derail the thread.

ScreamPaste
You at home right now, Scen?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Wonder Woman, Beta Ray Bill, Captain America have lifted Mjolnir. Masterson had circumstances (The first time he didn't actually lift Mjolnir, it was Thor calling it) and since then he was merged with Thor. Simply being good isn't enough as Superman and Ben Grimm have failed. Being vicious alone is not enough as Doom failed.

The Worthiness has never really been defined, and is really up to writer discretion. Imo? Only Bill should have been able to lift the hammer, wouldn't mind everyone else being retconned.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Wonder Woman, Beta Ray Bill, Captain America have lifted Mjolnir. Masterson had circumstances (The first time he didn't actually lift Mjolnir, it was Thor calling it) and since then he was merged with Thor. Simply being good isn't enough as Superman and Ben Grimm have failed. Being vicious alone is not enough as Doom failed.

The Worthiness has never really been defined, and is really up to writer discretion. Imo? Only Bill should have been able to lift the hammer, wouldn't mind everyone else being retconned.

I agree, retcon DOOM's attempt and have him lift it, or simply choose not to bother himself with affairs of lesser beings.

quanchi112
It really depends on which game you're talking about. The 2d Links had very little character development, but the jump to 3D was very good to him. He is a bland personality less character who can't speak.

ScreamPaste
He is a bland personality less character who can't speak.
Go play Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

quanchi112
Go play Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. Different Links. That's the thing not even one hero but a shitty bunch of the dweebs.

ScreamPaste
OoT, SS, TP, and WW Link all have quite a bit of character to them. You're a bit upset they'd beat up Edgington, I guess.

quanchi112
OoT, SS, TP, and WW Link all have quite a bit of character to them. You're a bit upset they'd beat up Edgington, I guess. Qit derailing the thread here. Edgington crushes any Link he faces.

Link isn't worthy and sucks as a character. Jake the bank started insulting the lame character. I'm here to finish the job.

ScreamPaste
I lol'd. So if I make a Link Gauntlet for Russell Edgington, you'll show up? haermm

You know, the best part is I predicted you'd do exactly what you're doing right now. I know you better than you do.

NotAllThatEvil
Being a boring character prevents him from using the hammer.

quanchi112
I lol'd. So if I make a Link Gauntlet for Russell Edgington, you'll show up? haermm

You know, the best part is I predicted you'd do exactly what you're doing right now. I know you better than you do. Link can't lift it and is lame. Other posters have attacked Link. Cry. Comic book versus>>>>video game versus posters.

quanchi112
Being a boring character prevents him from using the hammer. Being inferior prevents him.

ScreamPaste
Link can't lift it and is lame. Other posters have attacked Link. Cry. Comic book versus>>>>video game versus posters.
Do you have a drool bucket at your desk to catch all biproduct of your half formed thoughts, Quan?

Seriously, that's your post? "Link is lame. Comic Versus is teh best". You're kind of uh... A laughing stock there. Why even mention the place?

quanchi112
Do you have a drool bucket at your desk to catch all biproduct of your half formed thoughts, Quan?

Seriously, that's your post? "Link is lame. Comic Versus is teh best". You're kind of uh... A laughing stock there. Why even mention the place? You never object. Other posters slammed the character. I agreed. Everyone has agreed he can't lift it.

Video game versus is behind the times.

Says the meet me on Skype loser.

ScreamPaste
I don't feel the need to object to non-arguments. And lol. No, no one else has slammed the character. And people have said it's quite possible he does.

Link is worthy. Even without the Triforce of Courage, he's worthy. Originally posted by COG Veteran
Link lifts it. Greatest hero in his universe.
The enchantment is all there is to it. Nothing concrete has ever been stated as far as I know.

I think given the circumstances of the thread Link would probably be able to lift the hammer if only for this time of need. Similar to how Superman was able to wield it during the JL/Avengers crossover.

But alas an argument can be made both ways IMHO.

Oh, how dare I socialize with people in a social environment, I must be the scum of the Earth!

CosmicComet
Worthiness is mostly dependent on how much Odin likes you at any given time. That makes more sense than any other set of criteria, since its often contradicted.

I think Odin would like Link, despite his inability to grow a beard, which is usually an important criteria.

Sacred 117
I love how "Link is lame" suddenly passes for a valid argument. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The fanboys who tend to flock around the kiddie game.

^This basically tells me everything I need to know. Your "points", if you should call them that, have no merit. laughing I have no interest left in what you have to say.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
The Worthiness has never really been defined, and is really up to writer discretion.

This tends to be the biggest problems when analyzing scenarios related to comics. They've seen many adaptations and reboots, creating a lot of inconsistency. Henceforth, when brought to socialized discussion, it tends to create a lot of confusion due to potentially contradictory elements that may have taken place.

Zack Fair
I'd love to see an artist rendition of Link wielding Thor's hammer awesome

BloodRain
http://25.media.tumblr.com/17cedd7dd25ad32514b13085322c4e38/tumblr_mgwmdxlyhV1r2g6g4o1_500.jpg

Close enough.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by BloodRain
http://25.media.tumblr.com/17cedd7dd25ad32514b13085322c4e38/tumblr_mgwmdxlyhV1r2g6g4o1_500.jpg

Close enough. thumb up !!!

Sacred 117

Hahaha, nice! big grin *High fives BloodRain*

And Zack, since you presented this concept, I feel it's only appropriate I request your permission to write a fanfic about this.

Zack Fair
By all means bro! I now have a mental image of Link having Cap's shield and hawkeye's bow and somehow...black widow's boobs lol.

ScreamPaste
By all means bro! I now have a mental image of Link having Cap's shield and hawkeye's bow and somehow...black widow's boobs lol.
That was awesome right until you straight up murdered it with the final thought.

It'd be cool to see Link in a Marvel cross-over though. mmm

Sacred 117
By all means bro!

Sweetness! Thanks, man! smile

I now have a mental image of Link having Cap's shield and hawkeye's bow and somehow...black widow's boobs lol.

Now all that's missing is a Super Saiyan form (IMO). Lol.

BloodRain
Or made it better.. rule 63 away~

ScreamPaste
Or made it better.. rule 63 away~
NopenopenopeNOPENOPENOPE.

The Scenario
Link's overdue for a female reincarnation anyway. As is The Doctor.

ScreamPaste
Link's overdue for a female reincarnation anyway. As is The Doctor.
This could be cool. mmm Doubt it'll happen though since it's basically been confirmed that the heroes all share the same spirit or something, and the first of them was male and every one since has also been male.

BloodRain
No female Doctor. Thats just giving in to the fans demands <__<

quanchi112
I love how "Link is lame" suddenly passes for a valid argument. roll eyes (sarcastic)

^This basically tells me everything I need to know. Your "points", if you should call them that, have no merit. laughing I have no interest left in what you have to say. You are one of them so of course you back down now. Argument surrender accepted.

Sacred 117
You are one of them so of course you back down now. Argument surrender accepted.

Back down?! Lolz. There's no fight left to partake in. laughing Plus, I love how you call a couple of days absence for ones job "surrender". It's always been easier for you to assume shit. Anyways, we've basically come to the conclusion that Link can lift it. Happy Dance If you want my specific thoughts, I'm willing to provide, but don't expect much beyond that. As fun as it'd be to take part in counter-productivity trying to convince you, I realize it's mainly our attention you want, so I'd rather let you starve. evil face

quanchi112
Back down?! Lolz. There's no fight left to partake in. laughing Plus, I love how you call a couple of days absence for ones job "surrender". It's always been easier for you to assume shit. Anyways, we've basically come to the conclusion that Link can lift it. Happy Dance If you want my specific thoughts, I'm willing to provide, but don't expect much beyond that. As fun as it'd be to take part in counter-productivity trying to convince you, I realize it's mainly our attention you want, so I'd rather let you starve. evil face Superman can't lift it and he ain't no Superman.

Now begone as I already accepted your surrender.

ScreamPaste
Superman ain't no Link or Wonder Woman.

quanchi112
Superman ain't no Link or Wonder Woman. He is greater than both. WW is far greater than Link as well as being a far superior warrior.

ScreamPaste
He's greater than WW in power, but not in worthiness. Superman is not the meter of who can lift Mjolnir, he himself could not.

The Scenario
Probably not as TOTALLY SELFLESS ALL THE TIME, though, right?

I mean, Link is pure good.

quanchi112
He's greater than WW in power, but not in worthiness. Superman is not the meter of who can lift Mjolnir, he himself could not. But Superman isn't a greater warrior or more skilled than WW is unlike Link.

quanchi112

I mean, Link is pure good. Pure goodness isn't enough.

smile

ScreamPaste
But Superman isn't a greater warrior or more skilled than WW is unlike Link.
She's greater in power, prove the other two, with scans. C:

The Scenario
I would bet Link has more warrior's spirit than Superman does.

ScreamPaste
I would bet Link has more warrior's spirit than Superman does. I would as well. Link's warrior's spirit, in fact, HERO's spirit, is reborn whenever it is needed. It's so special the gods of his universe keep it on standby.

quanchi112
I would bet Link has more warrior's spirit than Superman does. I would not. Not even close.

The Scenario
Link's color is green due to all the recycling.

quanchi112
She's greater in power, prove the other two, with scans. C: Not necessary. Your ignorance is its own reward; apparently.

NotAllThatEvil
Link is undeniably more vicious than Clark. He ain't afraid of getting his hands dirty.

quanchi112
I would as well. Link's warrior's spirit, in fact, HERO's spirit, is reborn whenever it is needed. It's so special the gods of his universe keep it on standby. Comparing Link to any great comic book hero is hilarious.

The Scenario
I would not. Not even close.

At least Superman tends to attempt diplomacy.

You ever heard Link try to talk his opponent down?

ares834

I mean, Link is pure good.

You'd have a hard time trying to prove Link is as selfless or "good" as Superman...

NotAllThatEvil
Comparing Link to any great comic book hero is hilarious.
A superhuman with more gear than batman and is an expert at finding weakpoints. Pretty sure he could take someone out...

quanchi112

You ever heard Link try to talk his opponent down? Link can't talk. The guy is slightly above tard.

ares834
She's greater in power, prove the other two, with scans. C:

Are you actually arguing Link is a more skilled than Wonder Woman?

quanchi112
A superhuman with more gear than batman and is an expert at finding weakpoints. Pretty sure he could take someone out... If you think he has more gear than Batman you don't read many comics. Superman is highly skilled not that he'd need to be more skilled than Link.

ScreamPaste
Not necessary. Your ignorance is its own reward; apparently.
Concession accepted then.

You'd have a hard time trying to prove Link is as selfless or "good" as Superman...
This is Quan's own argument in another thread being turned on him.

But yeah:

You ever heard Link try to talk his opponent down?
Link kills sentient enemies by the handful, his entire method of operation is to go for the throat in any fight, right away. Find the weak point, exploit it, and kill your enemy. Quick, efficient. Warrior-y.

quanchi112
Are you actually arguing Link is a more skilled than Wonder Woman? He doesn't even know what he is arguing at this point.

ScreamPaste
He doesn't even know what he is arguing at this point.
Pots and kettles everywhere.

quanchi112
Pots and kettles everywhere. You are just a bad debater. We know. We know.

quanchi112
Concession accepted then.

This is Quan's own argument in another thread being turned on him.

But yeah:

Link kills sentient enemies by the handful, his entire method of operation is to go for the throat in any fight, right away. Find the weak point, exploit it, and kill your enemy. Quick, efficient. Warrior-y. I did not concede. you just asked for me to prove a given.

Link does not kill all his enemies. Killing your opponent doesn't mean greater warrior anwyays. Superman is the greater warrior than Link in terms of skill, magnitude, power, etc.

The Scenario

Quanchi's trying to push Link as the most selfless thing in the universe in one thread and a "shitty hero" in a different thread simultaneously.

I'm just pointing out the contradiction.

NotAllThatEvil
I think we already crossed skill and power off the list of requirements. We know niceness is not enough. What does superman have that link doesn't?

quanchi112
Quanchi's trying to push Link as the most selfless thing in the universe in one thread and a "shitty hero" in a different thread simultaneously.

I'm just pointing out the contradiction. Link is selfless in his own game but that doesn't mean his degree of selflessness approaches other characters.

Don't be silly.

quanchi112
I think we already crossed skill and power off the list of requirements. We know niceness is not enough. What does superman have that link doesn't? He beats him in every aspect. He does not beat WW in every aspect.

NotAllThatEvil
Name one aspec. (Sorry, I just like specifics)

ScreamPaste
I did not concede. you just asked for me to prove a given.

Link does not kill all his enemies. Killing your opponent doesn't mean greater warrior anwyays. Superman is the greater warrior than Link in terms of skill, magnitude, power, etc.
It's not a given if you cannot prove it. C:

Superman's not a warrior, not like Thor, not like anyone who has been deemed worthy.

The Scenario
Link kills sentient enemies by the handful, his entire method of operation is to go for the throat in any fight, right away. Find the weak point, exploit it, and kill your enemy. Quick, efficient. Warrior-y.

Not really.

Link goes for the eyes.

We're not talking about who's the better fighter. We're talking about the state of mind of a warrior. I'm saying Link is likely closer to Thor in personality than Superman is. Superman's the "boy scout," he tries to solve things peacefully at least some of the time. Link does not tend to do that, usually going for violence.

quanchi112
Name one aspec. (Sorry, I just like specifics) skill.

quanchi112
Not really.

Link goes for the eyes.

We're not talking about who's the better fighter. We're talking about the state of mind of a warrior. I'm saying Link is likely closer to Thor in personality than Superman is. Superman's the "boy scout," he tries to solve things peacefully at least some of the time. Link does not tend to do that, usually going for violence. Link can't even speak. Great warriors have failed even from his own Asgardian race.

Again, Link does not beat Superman at everything. Your narrow minded definition is funny too.

Thor doesn't massacre everyone he fights.

ScreamPaste
So being Asgardian isn't a prerequisite.

Thor has far less compunction about killing, and relishes battle in a way Superman does not.

quanchi112
So being Asgardian isn't a prerequisite.

Thor has far less compunction about killing, and relishes battle in a way Superman does not. Just saying being a warrior is not the determining factor here.

Link goes to battle unlike Thor who loves testing his mettle.

Thor is prideful unlike Nerdball Link.

Sacred 117
Okay. Before all this bullshit got set off, there was a particular theme in this thread that got my attention; narratives. Many of you have referenced how worthiness seems to have such a vague determination, and that it's basically up to the writers. Having said that, Scenario had a valid point pertaining to this. Theoretically, if a Marvel/Nintendo crossover were ever to occur, it would only be thematically appropriate for Link to be able to wield Mjolnir given his mythological makeup and legendary background. Of course, it would probably occur in a similar manner to what Zack stated. He would have to prove himself throughout his journey, which he always does, and he would use it only for as long as he needed to. He did the same with the Master Sword, so it makes perfect that sense he would do it here. I actually plan to write this myself just because it's such a brilliant concept. smile

Btw, Quan, for future reference, a surrender in a debate is not declared until your opponent agrees wholeheartedly with you. You've convinced me of nothing, and you have nothing left to offer. Besides that, you have to convince everyone else here as well. Meanwhile, I'm going to participate in my life (which I actually have) while you keep restating the same illogical anti-boy shit you've been saying since the first page in the hopes of accomplishing nothing. Have fun getting megapwned (as always)! big grin Call me when you actually have something to prove.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>