Zelda Wii-U

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack Fair
This thread is to discuss the next Zelda that will be released for the Wii-U.

Zelda Wii-U tech demo

u_fyOkrteqM

Feel free to discuss what you'd like them to change. What you'd keep the same. What aspects you would improve. What gaming mechanics from other games would you add. Etc. etc.

I for one would like them to add voice overs. I know the mute characters are a conscious choice, but I'd like to hear voice overs and it would help give the characters more personality and would improve the storytelling/cinematic experience. I would also prefer better more efficient use of other weapons that are not the master sword. Usually feels like weapons/items you pick up in dungeons get limited use(wheel/dominion rod in Twilight Princess) A Link to the past is a great example of how you could beat bosses with other weapons instead of the dungeon weapon. I'd prefer no navi-like companions, but if we have to have them make them like Midna who was tolerable, and actually likeable with her mischievous attitude. Also helps that Midna didn't really go 'Hey Hey...listen!' every 5 minutes. I'd also like smarter, more reasonable dungeon designs. I thought the dungeons in TP were pretty good from a story/design standpoint. An example would be the ice dungeon with Yeto and his wife which was pretty much just their house/resort.

Interested in your inputs.

Ushgarak
From a gameworld viewpoint, Zelda needs to take some inspiration from other franchises. OoT was pretty detailed as 3d worlds go for its time, but the series has been behind the curve since, and Skyward Sword actively created a LESS detailed game world; it was mostly empty.

A Hyrule built along the detail levels of Guild Wars 2 and Assassin's Creed would be very welcome in that regard. Hyrule is one of the oldest worlds in gaming but it still has not properly come to life.

As to whether Zelda can just keep doing the same gameplay formula though... I dunno. I know many fans want more of the same, buit to my mind the whole traditional Zelda overworld/dungeon setup is feeling very tired. I think it could experiment in more of an open world design, but I think the designers feel the opposite (they said that made SS more closed off than Twilight Princess precisely because they thought open worlds could be confusing, which knackers any chance of change there).

Mind you, I don't understand why they don't use the ip more. If they worry that open world Zelda is too lacking in direction for the kind of market the main series is targeted at, why not keep the main series as is but make other games set in Hyrule that ARE open world, or have character stats, or allow you to play other characters and/or races etc? I'm sure there'd be a huge market. Same again for Metroid- make games set in the continuity but with a different focus. Just making a Metroid game that's a BIT like Mass Effect in terms of exploration etc. could be a killer, especially if you can create your own bounty hunter.

Cyner
As far as open worlds go, there are already statements from developers saying that they are looking to capture some of the feeling that games like Skyrim give the player. That seems like a very good sign.

I would prefer no voice acting, especially if you can't skip bits of speaking while still reading dialogue. I have this thing where I love to read and hate to hear people blabber on for 10 minutes on something I was done reading 8 minutes ago.

I actually loved the dungeon designs from Skyward Sword, most of them felt interesting and like they were a part of the world they were in. Instead of being a temple awkwardly dropped into the middle of whatever region it was in.

Completely agree about the companion thing, if nothing else I would like one that doesn't harass me so much. Hell make a co-op Zelda title where Zelda is your companion and someone can play as her. Also have her taking notes as the journey goes, creating her written Legend.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Ushgarak
From a gameworld viewpoint, Zelda needs to take some inspiration from other franchises. OoT was pretty detailed as 3d worlds go for its time, but the series has been behind the curve since, and Skyward Sword actively created a LESS detailed game world; it was mostly empty.

A Hyrule built along the detail levels of Guild Wars 2 and Assassin's Creed would be very welcome in that regard. Hyrule is one of the oldest worlds in gaming but it still has not properly come to life.

As to whether Zelda can just keep doing the same gameplay formula though... I dunno. I know many fans want more of the same, buit to my mind the whole traditional Zelda overworld/dungeon setup is feeling very tired. I think it could experiment in more of an open world design, but I think the designers feel the opposite (they said that made SS more closed off than Twilight Princess precisely because they thought open worlds could be confusing, which knackers any chance of change there).

Mind you, I don't understand why they don't use the ip more. If they worry that open world Zelda is too lacking in direction for the kind of market the main series is targeted at, why not keep the main series as is but make other games set in Hyrule that ARE open world, or have character stats, or allow you to play other characters and/or races etc? I'm sure there'd be a huge market. Same again for Metroid- make games set in the continuity but with a different focus. Just making a Metroid game that's a BIT like Mass Effect in terms of exploration etc. could be a killer, especially if you can create your own bounty hunter.

I would definitely welcome playing with characters from other races and different backgrounds in Zelda spinoffs. The Zora/Goron/Deku masks in majora's mask were a very fun element and it is a shame they never elaborated on these races. There is a lot of potential there. I never really thought about that, but it is mind boggling how the concept has escaped their strategy. It seems like Nintendo is very strict when it comes to Zelda(and I think japanese in general are like this) and they should incorporate elements from other successful modern franchises. Its like the entire world is moving on while Nintendo is still stuck in 1998. Its amazing how good OoT was that even after 15 years the formula is still reaping success and critical acclaim.

I would welcome more fluid animations and more fluid combat.Originally posted by Cyner
As far as open worlds go, there are already statements from developers saying that they are looking to capture some of the feeling that games like Skyrim give the player. That seems like a very good sign.

I would prefer no voice acting, especially if you can't skip bits of speaking while still reading dialogue. I have this thing where I love to read and hate to hear people blabber on for 10 minutes on something I was done reading 8 minutes ago.

I actually loved the dungeon designs from Skyward Sword, most of them felt interesting and like they were a part of the world they were in. Instead of being a temple awkwardly dropped into the middle of whatever region it was in.

Completely agree about the companion thing, if nothing else I would like one that doesn't harass me so much. Hell make a co-op Zelda title where Zelda is your companion and someone can play as her. Also have her taking notes as the journey goes, creating her written Legend.

TBF I'm okay with Zelda characters being mute. it sort of gives it a charm, but at the same time I want to see Zelda do it and how it would change/improve/**** up the franchise. They are too scared to change. The only thing they really change are the settings, and after a while these changes(sailing/flying) become more apparent and just...kind of there for the sake of spicing things up when the core of the gameplay has not changed in more than 15 years.

i'd like the dungeon bosses to be able to be killed with different weapons. Its kind of meh how they're just like in ocarina.

I have yet to play Skyward Sword, so I won't comment on the dungeons, but if they are anything like Twilight Princess's I'd like them too.

Smasandian
I would like to see voice acting. I think it's time for it. The only time voice acting is not imperative is in first person shooters that do not have cut scenes of any kind.

But Zelda, I would like some voice please?

What I would like is:

1. Stop treating players like idiots. Most have played a Zelda game before, we do not need exact detail on how to do something.

2. Change the idea behind the 6-7 dungeons/new weapon up.

3. Change the setting. How about a near future Zelda, or modern take on Zelda. How about something a bit more mature than previous games.

4. Improve the controls completely. Let me do combos.

BackFire
I'd love an Open World style Zelda game. The best part of OOT was the sense of freedom and wonder while running around Hyrule Field. If they could capture that feeling again I'd love it.

I'd like it if they made it so there is a normal EXP system. As it is it feels like killing non bosses is kinda pointless. It'd be nice if normal monsters gave EXP.

As far as voice acting or tone, this is something I don't really care about. Voice acting, if done right, can really help a game. If done wrong can be worse than no voice acting. And since Japanese games tend to struggle with the English version of their voice acting, I'd be fine letting this all stay text-based.

I don't mind Zelda being light hearted. There's a lot of dark, dreary games these days, Zelda doesn't need to be one of them, necessarily. Keeping it in a normal 'high fantasy' setting is fine by me.

Zack Fair
A Zelda game doesn't have to be all dark, but darker...could work out fine. My favorite atmosphere in a Zelda game is majora's mask.

The Scenario
I'll agree with more efficient item use, and add that every item should have multiple uses. For instance, I was initially disappointed that one of the dungeon items in Minish Cap was just a lantern. It lit up dark rooms and torches and that was about it. Then I learned that you could use it to set Gibdos and Wizrobes on fire to defeat them. (The mole mitts were just disappointing; and a missed opportunity with those claws.) Then there was Wind Waker's grappling hook. It had its puzzle use, and then an additional utility use in stealing certain items from enemies. Skyward Sword had the beetle, which was pretty great utility wise, and dropping bombs on things was all I did for a while, but the focus on the sword seemed to take out a lot of the alternate combat uses for items.

I like the feeling of not being restricted to just the sword sometimes, and that Link really can use anything as a weapon. If each item had its puzzle use, and then either a utility or combat use, I'd be pretty happy.

The second thing is the magic meter. I miss it. The last game to have it was Wind Waker, and it was only used for the arrows and flying with the Deku Leaf. The last actual spells Link had were in Ocarina of Time with Din's Fire and such. Mage Knight Link is due for a comeback, tough I don't really have high expectations for Wii-U Link getting magic. It seems much more likely that A Link Between Worlds will have some magic items. Add that to point one, and I'd like some puzzle and utility spells/magic items.

NotAllThatEvil
Just gonna say NO exp. The point of zelda game isn't your character getting stronger but YOU getting better. By the end of the game, you should be taking out midbosses and bosses like they're normal enemies. Your sword doesn't take out more health, you are just a more capable player.

Also hookshot> clawshot.

Zack Fair
Double clawshot was fun. Should keep that for the following entries. I agree. I don't really agree with XP.

I'm about to beat Twilight Princess and I gotta say my 3 complains are the following:

1. The first light tears gathering missions with wolf Link were annoying. Game would have had better pace and being more fun had I not been stuck doing shit like that.

2. Some items/weapons are pretty much useless once you get out of the dungeon they're useful in.

3. Zant is one weak, pathetic loser and I just can't stand him.

Other than those flaws the game was great IMO. I love Midna.

Zack Fair
I want Link to have lines in a FKN Zelda after finishing TP and seeing Link's heartfelt reaction to Midna's fate.

That wouldn't roll with most fans, but come at me bros.

Ushgarak
I really liked the style of TP. It was a little bit darker, but not exactly GTA territory; moreover, it had a somewhat weird, dreamlike touch, from both the visuals and the sound, and that played really well with me.

Barker
I read something somewhere (not on a real news site) that Nintendo wanted a Zelda Skyrim or something. Keep in mind I've never played any Zelda for more than an hour, but is that remotely possible.. or would you guys be interested in something like that?

Zack Fair
I'm all for it as long as the game remains 3rd person and it keeps the Zelda vibe.

I like Skyrim, but most of the time I feel like people overrate the game.

The Scenario
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/aonuma-looking-to-capture-the-feeling-of-skyrim-with-new-zelda

This, most likely. And I dunno, the statement he gave tells us a whole lot of nothing. What does Skyrim "feel" like?

Zack Fair
Perhaps he means the open-ended sense of adventure or rather how huge the world is. I can get behind a huge Skyrim/fallout like Hyrule. That is what I like about Skyrim, but it can be tricky to successfully pull it off. If it comes at the expense of the plot well...screw that.

Barker
Originally posted by Zack Fair
I'm all for it as long as the game remains 3rd person and it keeps the Zelda vibe.

I like Skyrim, but most of the time I feel like people overrate the game.
I think Skyrim was fun but could never get into the gameplay of TP, so I don't even feel comfortable defining what a Zelda game even plays like. I know there's a difference because TES as a whole is a more open-world than Hyrule, right? You can't really tailor Link to a certain gameplay style, can you? He has what, his sword and slingshot or whatever wheras a different kind of game would see him getting different stats and perks to put into sneaking or whatever. Does that fit the Zelda gameplay?

I feel like a jerk jumping in here and bringing it up without really knowing how a Zelda game plays, but I just want to know if you guys think it would work.
Originally posted by The Scenario
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/aonuma-looking-to-capture-the-feeling-of-skyrim-with-new-zelda

This, most likely. And I dunno, the statement he gave tells us a whole lot of nothing. What does Skyrim "feel" like?
Oh maybe that was it, I didn't realize it was an actual quote.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Barker
I think Skyrim was fun but could never get into the gameplay of TP, so I don't even feel comfortable defining what a Zelda game even plays like. I know there's a difference because TES as a whole is a more open-world than Hyrule, right? You can't really tailor Link to a certain gameplay style, can you? He has what, his sword and slingshot or whatever wheras a different kind of game would see him getting different stats and perks to put into sneaking or whatever. Does that fit the Zelda gameplay?

I feel like a jerk jumping in here and bringing it up without really knowing how a Zelda game plays, but I just want to know if you guys think it would work.
Zelda are open world too, but it isn't as open from the very beginning. There are locations you can't reach until you get the proper tools to reach them. This gives the games a more linear approach since you just can't go anywhere and everywhere you want. It isn't bad perse. And no you can't tailor Link to specific style. Link's combat is very basic. You have your weapons and your tools you can use in combat and dungeons, but nothing too deep. For example you grab a bow and thats it. You're an archer for most of the game if you want. I'm not sure I want a skill tree in Zelda. I like how it is...but I'd like more usefulness to the weapons etc. For example would be cool if Link could use his bow in melee even if its not as effective as the sword. Tell you what I think I'd like an upgrade system. I just don't want link to be specifically tied to one style and I doubt they'd do that. Link and his weapons/items have always been one of Zelda's biggest things.

Ushgarak
Indeed, Zelda was actually originally grounded in the idea of open world exploration (in a primitive 8-bit sense) but it abandoned that for its latest outings on both handheld and main console- quite deliberately.

It's a setting that is fundamentally suitable to open world exploration. Maybe not with the same moral/career scope as an Elder Scrolls game, as Zelda has a very different narrative approach, but that approach to world design really should be the vision of the game.

Smasandian
While we comparing open-world Zelda game to Elder Scrolls is obvious, we could be comparing it to GTA.

A story driven open world experience.

Ushgarak
Well, just to put some of this in context, here's a reminder of what the series director had to say about the next game at the start of this year:

"Our mission in developing this new Zelda game for Wii U is quite plainly to rethink the conventions of Zelda. I'm referring to things like the expectation that the player is supposed to complete dungeons in a certain order, or that you're supposed to play by yourself. The things that we've come to take for granted recently.

"We want to set aside these 'conventions', get back to basics and create a newborn Zelda game so that the players today can best enjoy the real essence of the franchise.

"We had actually worked on this kind of challenge with Skyward Sword but we weren't able to put effort into changing the linear-path structure of the game. I hope to be able to talk to you in more detail about how it will change after I see it come together a bit more."

Smasandian
So, it's nothing is going to change....that's what I read.

Ushgarak
That seems a rather cynical reading.

The Scenario
I'm pretty sure I read nonlinear dungeon order in there. Also multiplayer but meh on that one.

Smasandian
That seems a rather cynical reading.

It sure is.

I just don't think Nintendo will do anything drastic to the franchise.

Zack Fair
Shake.My.Head

NotAllThatEvil
Why is linear a bsd thing? If they stop limiting an item per dungeon and make you use every item constantly, it would be a pretty solid game.

Zack Fair
I'm okay with Zelda not being as open ended as games like Skyrim. Truth be told these games can make me forget the main storyline as I sidetrack and wind up doing lots of stuff. Granted that ain't a bad thing, but not what I'm looking for in a zelda. However I wish they'd focus on making fleshing out Hyrule and make it as realized capital wasteland and the like.

Cyner
I'm okay with Zelda not being as open ended as games like Skyrim. Truth be told these games can make me forget the main storyline as I sidetrack and wind up doing lots of stuff. Granted that ain't a bad thing, but not what I'm looking for in a zelda. However I wish they'd focus on making fleshing out Hyrule and make it as realized capital wasteland and the like.

Completely agreed. With Fallout 3 and NV I explored a lot but I still felt compelled to continue the story, but with Skyrim I just found everything else to do and was level 51 before I completed the main quest and only because I forced myself to do so. A fleshed out and alive feeling Hyrule would be great.

Zack Fair

Cyner
I'm now worried. When people start talking like this it can only end up with an absolutely amazing or completely horrible result. We know which of those is rare.

Ushgarak
In all honesty, that all sounds made up.

Zack Fair
They're rumors after all. Found it on ZeldaDungeon.net's wiki.

NotAllThatEvil
If they focus to much on new gimmicks rather than getting the core gameplay up to par... I'm worried.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
If they focus to much on new gimmicks rather than getting the core gameplay up to par... I'm worried. As am I. They really need to get over the stupid gimmicks(hard since thats what Nintendo has been doing the last 6 years) and just concentrate on updating the elements that are still glued to OoT. Yes OoT is a great game that revolutionized gaming, but it is now 15 years old. I want the series that was once considered one of the most revolutionary/advancing series ever to live up to that fkn title. As it stands they're just being lazy.

I like some of the rumors. Hope they stay away from online multiplayer. Really...just stay away from it. Not all games need to have multiplayer.

Smasandian
In all honesty, that all sounds made up.

And incredibly generic.

From what I read is that it's just bigger.

Not really what people were thinking of when they want Zelda to change.

ScreamPaste
If they really have a dev team that large on it and the dungeons really will be that large and unique, I'm ****ing ECSTATIC.

Cyner
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
If they really have a dev team that large on it and the dungeons really will be that large and unique, I'm ****ing ECSTATIC.

I'm not. I've played Zelda games in the past because they were about 10-20 hours max. But with TP and SS we have games that are 40+ hours. Honestly there is a place for that but I don't want it to be in LoZ. This is the same reason I haven't played a JRPG in forever, every single game is 9001 hours long.

Zack Fair
Just get rid of the long tutorial levels.

WTF hasn't played a Zelda game? FFS

Smasandian
Yeah, I agree. I can understand why they do it though but make super quick.

Bigger dungeons are a nice marketing term but big doesn't mean better. It could mean copy and pasted.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Cyner
I'm not. I've played Zelda games in the past because they were about 10-20 hours max. But with TP and SS we have games that are 40+ hours. Honestly there is a place for that but I don't want it to be in LoZ. This is the same reason I haven't played a JRPG in forever, every single game is 9001 hours long.
Why? Zelda games aren't like JRPGs, longer games just means more glorious dungeoneering and overworld exploration. I love it when good games are long.

Barker
I CAME BACK.

Okay I want to try (one) Zelda game to try to get me into the series. I have a Wii and from what I understand basically any game in the series is playable on it except the portable games.

I know Ocarina is called one of the best games ever but I tried it on my 3DS and just couldn't get into it.. is that the one I should soldier on and try? OR I do have Twilight Princess Wii (that my family actually got on launch) that I tried and failed to get into. I also have Project64 but I won't talk about that because I know it's not allowed.

Failing that, I'd also try a 2D Zelda game if that's what you guys recommend - remember, this is the one that's going to sell me on this series or not. Also I sound elitist and I don't mean to, sorry. Just please help. 13

ScreamPaste
Skyward Sword.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Barker
I CAME BACK.

Okay I want to try (one) Zelda game to try to get me into the series. I have a Wii and from what I understand basically any game in the series is playable on it except the portable games.

I know Ocarina is called one of the best games ever but I tried it on my 3DS and just couldn't get into it.. is that the one I should soldier on and try? OR I do have Twilight Princess Wii (that my family actually got on launch) that I tried and failed to get into. I also have Project64 but I won't talk about that because I know it's not allowed.

Failing that, I'd also try a 2D Zelda game if that's what you guys recommend - remember, this is the one that's going to sell me on this series or not. Also I sound elitist and I don't mean to, sorry. Just please help. 13 Not sure what to say.

Ocarina of Time is often considered the best in the series because it was the first game to make an almost perfect transition from 2d to 3d, introduced the Z-targeting an element still used today which made 3d combat technically possible and good. It also had the most beautiful graphics at the time. It simply gets the nod.

IMHO A Link to the Past is the best Zelda because...really all OoT is a 3d AlttP IMHO.

You can try Twilight Princess which is basically an upgraded/updated OoT with better story and smarter dungeon design.

But I think the real question is...just what is it about the games that doesn't let you get into them?

Sounds like you're a Zelda genre racist and I will now escort you out of my thread uhuh

http://gifsoup.com/view1/3372374/jazz-thrown-o.gif

Zack Fair
Why? Zelda games aren't like JRPGs, longer games just means more glorious dungeoneering and overworld exploration. I love it when good games are long. Agreed.

Long games are a nice change of pace from all the 4-5 hours long campaigns we get nowadays.

Barker
Skyward Sword.
I might, it looks gorgeous.
Not sure what to say.

Ocarina of Time is often considered the best in the series because it was the first game to make an almost perfect transition from 2d to 3d, introduced the Z-targeting an element still used today which made 3d combat technically possible and good. It also had the most beautiful graphics at the time. It simply gets the nod.

IMHO A Link to the Past is the best Zelda because...really all OoT is a 3d AlttP IMHO.

You can try Twilight Princess which is basically an upgraded/updated OoT with better story and smarter dungeon design.

But I think the real question is...just what is it about the games that doesn't let you get into them?

Sounds like you're a Zelda genre racist and I will now escort you out of my thread uhuh

http://gifsoup.com/view1/3372374/jazz-thrown-o.gif
haermm

I don't even know why I haven't gotten into them.. Oot I gave up after sneaking around in the castle at the beginning and there was a Princess cutscene I think.. and a weird town where something was missing I think. Kids or adults or something. TP I gave up when I lost track of the story, I think I was up on a wall for the first time.

This time I'd make sure to soldier on though. Sounds like I'm going to try Oot.

Zack Fair
You can beat OoT in 30 minutes in a speedrun awesome

NotAllThatEvil
You didn't even get the master sword in OoT!?!

Just soldier on till after you beat the fish and you should get more into it.

Zack Fair
Shame really. Gave up even before he got the Ocarina. So basically...he didn't really play anything.

Perhaps the dated graphics?

Cyner
Why? Zelda games aren't like JRPGs, longer games just means more glorious dungeoneering and overworld exploration. I love it when good games are long.

Replayability, filler gameplay, filler story.

Skyward Sword was able to somewhat minimize these issues but they are issues that always pop up in longer games. Twilight Princess was terrible in this regard. 40+ hours and so much story and gameplay filler that they forgot to resolve some of the things they were exploring. The game was fun but there could have easily been 10+ hours cut from it without a problem. I'm hoping Nintendo will avoid this issue if possible but it's rare that any company does when a game starts getting to these lengths.

Let me add that if LoZ series went for the open world aspect again that the exploration involved in that sort of gameplay lets the artificial game lengthening happen without feeling like it's filler, but rather the natural course of gameplay. This lets you simultaneously have a "longer" campaign while allowing people who are in a second play to breeze through to the content they wish to replay without having to play the obvious filler again.

Zack Fair
Twilight Princess would have been close to perfect without the stupid light tears gathering missions and lame one-time use items/weapons.

They need to flesh out Hyrule. Make it have actual life, villages, houses, etc.

TP hyrule was like 5 times as big as Ocarina's but it was a blank slate. Shit at least Ocarina had Lon Lon ranch.

Cyner
Twilight Princess would have been close to perfect without the stupid light tears gathering missions and lame one-time use items/weapons.

They need to flesh out Hyrule. Make it have actual life, villages, houses, etc.

TP hyrule was like 5 times as big as Ocarina's but it was a blank slate. Shit at least Ocarina had Lon Lon ranch.

Just edited my other post.

That was a big problem too. No people, just like one or two easy as heck enemies in a giant open field.

ScreamPaste
The new Zelda is supposed to rectify that according to rumour, so it's sounding like a big game with dense gameplay, which is perfect for people like me who just play the shit out of those games and explore every inch of the map.

Zack Fair
I'm like that too.

I want voice overs. I want non-linear dungeons. I want new skills/abilities for weapons and I want a better hyrule.

If they manage to do all of that well...perfect game right there IMHO.

Not gonna be setting myself up for disappointment though.

ScreamPaste
Please no. This is one thing I do not want for Zelda. Voice acting in games is terrible a lot of the time and breaks my immersion more than it reinforces it. Zelda games have managed to substitute voice acting with expressive characters and good dialogue in a way that I really like. I don't want it to go the way of Skyrim and have terrible voice acting ruin the climax for me.

CosmicComet
In that case, I doubly hope they have voice acting.

Just because I know you'd be pissed off.

biscuits

The Scenario
Voice overs are 'eh' for me. At most, I would let a Midna style almost language fly, but I don't think voices are really right for Zelda. That and the fact that they've never done it before so the potential for screw ups is higher than it would be for others.

Link's little 'come on!' shout in Wind Waker is pretty much the most voice he's had. Mario is the same way, with little voice clips, but when you start getting longer sentences it starts sounding weird. Then Samus' first brush with voice acting didn't sound the best. Eh, it just seems that Nintendo in general has difficulty with voice acting. Or localizing it, at least.

However, nonlinear dungeon order and new items/abilities would be a definite plus.

Zack Fair
You don't know unless you try, people.

Edit

Playing Wind Waker now and I'd like a return of picking up enemy weapons. There is this feeling of satisfaction from beating up a bad guy with their own sword.

NotAllThatEvil
Instead of a bait bag, they should have let you store enemy weapons. That would be badass.

On voice acting, I would only accept it if insteas of English, the characters spoke hylian. An actual language nerds could speak would make me smile.

Zack Fair
What is everyone's top 5 Zeldas?

I know that is very tough to answer. Replaying Wind Waker and I had forgotten how much fun that game was, even if the sailing can get a little tedious. It does add to that feeling of exploration, and the artistic design is awesome. Little stuff like the fairies etc

NotAllThatEvil
Wind waker, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (yes, I consider them one game), a link to the Past, Link's awakening, and a tie between Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

ScreamPaste
What is everyone's top 5 Zeldas?

I know that is very tough to answer. Replaying Wind Waker and I had forgotten how much fun that game was, even if the sailing can get a little tedious. It does add to that feeling of exploration, and the artistic design is awesome. Little stuff like the fairies etc
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Skyward Sword
Wind Waker
Oracle games/aLttP.

Yeah, it's six, but sh.

Zack Fair
I can't decide on a particular order, but mine are:

Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker

And joining the top 5 for the first time Twilight Princess.

i think my favorite 3D Zelda game is Majora's Mask, and 2D LttP.

Favorite partners/companions are Midna followed by Tatl(whatever the hell her name was in MM)

Yamcha
Uhh warning..I'm about to rant here >_>
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YamchaKMC/image_zps11e219a7.jpg

Zelda games and I have an odd history, I loved ALttP..a lot..I didn't encounter a Zelda game that I liked more until MM but that's later down the line, OoT just scared me shitless, like this is where the odd history happens...Zelda is literally one of the only gaming franchises..that literally scares me at times I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT..maybe it's the music, atmosphere, certain monsters themselves I just..I tucked my tale and hauled ass most of my childhood xD. Like go save the kingdom from Ganon? Pardon me, I'm going to train for hours by cutting everyone's grass AND THAT'S WHAT I DID..see this is why it's hard for me in VS threads with gauging Link cause MY Link trained against grass...he attempted to leave the city once..then a crow scared him to death and he ran back to town...Thus ending my OoT experience...which brings me to the next odd tidbit of my Zelda history...

Majoras Mask...if OoT scared me...Majoras mask literally sent me into a frightful panic almost every time I played...and I loved it, MADE NO SENSE, from the moment that moon grew closer I felt there was nothing I could do, powerless, no way could I stop such a threat, this guy can pull down the moon (who's face is terrifying mind you) and I'm just a kid, cue the Vince McMahon theme, I've got no chance. Yet I loved that at the same time, MM was even depressing on that final day like everyone knew it was the end and the mask salesman WAS SO CREEPY YET SO MYSTERIOUS I just idk I can't explain it that game just latched on to me and wouldn't let go like a damn ReDead. The Masks, the hopelessness, the mystery, all of it I loved it. Oh and Fierce Diety Link needs to make a come back dammit, easily my favorite part of any of the Zelda franchise haha.

Oracle of Seasons and Ages I BARELY remember but I do recall playing that one after school back in the day, it wasn't that bad if memory serves.

LOVED Wind Waker, the whole aspect of being able to use enemies weapons was perfect to me, I wish they'd bring that back or even give Link an option to buy an extra holster or something like in the AC games where he can holster the enemies weapon. The vast oceans and everything I loved it and the artwork I was a big fan of which was odd for me cause I'm more of a fan of darker bleak outlooks but WW pulled me in and took me on a great adventure.

Sad to say but TP I barely remember, I KNOW I enjoyed it just..nothing really stuck out..I played it in pieces and took like month breaks so all of it is just...dicey at best. I loved the graphics and am a sucker for Wolves so I loved that as well, I just barely remember any of it ._. ...which honestly kinda sucks lol.

The most recent one I played? MINISH CAP >_>...I bought a 3DS from my friend and she already had MC on there which I decided to try it...and oddly enough, I LOVED it! Wind Waker like art, all the awesome signature Link noises we've grown over the years to know, the top down style gameplay reminding me of ALttP, like how this guy isn't used more often in VS threads idk? As a minish which are like smaller than your thumb he could eventually move bookshelves? Like he's stupidly strong xD! Vaati is fantastic as well, Idk I really really liked it...sadly...I totally did what I did with TP and stopped for a few months..Loaded it up after some Project x Zone, Radiant Historia, and Animal Crossing, and have no idea where or what I was supposed to do...just loaded up and was in the clouds...>_>...

Overall I don't think I've found another that captured me like MM, and I really am hoping for that day again, I really think it was the mystery that still to this day leaves me wondering about the characters of that game. I love looking into theories how characters could have been connected. I love Ganondorf I do he's an awesome baddie, but Zelda usually has like one big baddie each game..but I'd be interested in a new one, maybe a threat unlike any we have seen before? Maybe multiple? I also really wish Majora would return cause there seemed to be so much potential left in all that lore. Idk like, I would love for a more open Zelda, a more lively Hyrule, I want to ride Epona to different cities and while I enjoy being the hero of time, I'd prefer like everyone else not be so helpless like maybe even someone who would tag along in a mission or your defending a town at night against bandits and some guardsmen come to help you idk just bring more life to it, and I'd love to ride Epona around Hyrule how I road through the waves of WW on The King of Lions, and another thing I would like more variety in shops not just little do dads and stuff like the master sword is awesome but I don't want it to be the be all end all, I want to be able to purchase different weapons, maybe change my tunic up or choose to wear my hat or not, little things idk, like I'd love for my Link to get disarmed and have to fight H2H like I'd be SO down for a Link with tons of badass H2H feats and such, I'd love for some more out of this world cinematics like...I want to be that weak adventurer trying to beat all odds and in the end maybe find a legendary angelic tunic and maybe a sword locked away long forgotten, I want to stare down this new enemy and think "I used to be scared but now, come at me." I'd love a fight with him just to get my ass handed to me, to later come back and tank a moon being dropped on me, like idk..I just feel like they could really do so much but they're sticking to the normal stuff trying to keep everyone happy when you won't know unless you try.. Voice acting? I don't mind it one bit, but a ton of people don't want it in Zelda and I mean I can see why but why not give the option to turn it on or off? Change is always gonna piss some people off, but you can't always make everyone happy and there are ways you can change while still keeping the majority of players happy, if they add something you don't like or don't want..don't do it? Like that's something I loved about the series, take the original Legend of Zelda, there are 3 tunics including the green if I recall correctly, you don't have to get those heck you can stick with the normal green and you still get the challenge. Majoras Mask, Fierce Diety? I LOVE FD Link favorite BY FAR, some people don't like him (they're insane) but you know what? You can go fight Majora WITHOUT IT, hell put those other masks to use and show that sucker what's up THAT'S one of the things I really like about Zelda and I want more choices like that again, just little things even like you're about to leave your house or something at the start and instead of putting on the tunic you just choose not to, so you're slaying evil in your Civilian clothes xD..like idk just little things like that really make me feel like I have more control and choice in the game so it feels more like MY adventure instead of an adventure through someone else's eyes..if that makes any sense..like slaying the Final boss with a green tunic and master sword in hand is great but if I want to have a different outfit and choose to use a massive two hander? I want to do that...even if since it's not magical I have to go on a side quest to get my choice of a weapon blessed beforehand to even be able to do damage to him, I'd love that kinda stuff.

Zack Fair
thumb up

Pretty good rant ahaha, but I liked reading it. I really like seeing how Zelda has influenced people and what they might want for the future of the franchise.

LOLOLOL@sissy Link never making it to hyrule and training against grass

Zack Fair
3hvjSlbtzuM

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Yes-Yes-Yes-WWE-Gif.gif

NotAllThatEvil
Why does the ganondorf character have more linkish hair than the link character?

Zack Fair
because why not?

ScreamPaste
That pitch is from 2006, Zack, lel.

ares834
Thank god. That looks awful.

Zack Fair
That pitch is from 2006, Zack, lel. I know. Video even shows it. I'm starving for Zelda, yo. Cut me some slack. Not all of us are no life Zelda nerds like you all uhuh

biscuitsOriginally posted by ares834
Thank god. That looks awful. Really doesn't look that bad, and it was just a pitch. had Nintendo approved it I bet it would have improved.

NotAllThatEvil
So apparently, Zelda wii u is gonna be first person...

The Scenario
I've heard that rumor for every Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.

Just in case, though, source?

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
So apparently, Zelda wii u is gonna be first person... lol.

And Guild Wars 2 is going to be become a first person shooter, right?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.