Mjolnir VS GL Power Ring

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LordofBrooklyn
Mjolnir

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/40015/1528995-mjolnir.png

VS

GL Power Ring

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090108190102/greenlantern/images/c/c7/Green_Lantern_Power_Ring.jpg

Which is more powerful?

Endless Mike
Depends on the wielder of the ring

"Id"
I would take Kyle classic ring or his white ring over the mallet.

TheGodKiller
In theory, the ring should win, but the hammer has the much better feats of the 2, even when being wielded by noobs such as Masterson.

Mjolnir wins.

Galan007
In the hands of a competent wielder, I'd put a pre-Johns-era ring above Mjolnir for sure.

A Johns-era ring, however, is a completely different animal. Unless Hal is wielding it, then Mjolnir would likely come out on top.

curryman
PC Ring or Mjolnir if current.

Digi
Agreed with others:

Potential power: ring
Average power: Mjolnir

pym-ftw
Mjoinir

SevenShackles
A rookie with a GL ring is still fodder but a rookie with Mjolnir is still a threat and can take something close to a beating.

Digi
Originally posted by SevenShackles
A rookie with a GL ring is still fodder but a rookie with Mjolnir is still a threat and can take something close to a beating.

And Optimus Prime with a GL ring would likely be Trans. tier. It's all about situation. Like I said, potential goes to the ring. Average goes to Mjolnir.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Digi
And Optimus Prime with a GL ring would likely be Trans. tier. It's all about situation. Like I said, potential goes to the ring. Average goes to Mjolnir.
True enough.
I always wondered would that time limit that was put on the hammer where masterson couldn't be without touching it for awhile or he would lose the power carry over to another 'part time' user? Compared to how long a ring can carry a 'charge' I always thought that gave the Ring more appeal.

Endless Mike
Optimus Prime with a GL ring

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money.jpg

Digi
Originally posted by Endless Mike
http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money.jpg

Lol.

There are few in all of comicdom that I think would make better GLs than OP.

Zack Fair
Power Ring.

**** the asgardian brigade.

abhilegend
Mjolnir based on feats.

Digi
Originally posted by abhilegend
Mjolnir based on feats.

If we take any one GL, I'd agree. But if you combine all of the versatility feats of, say, Hal, Kyle, and the others, I think they collectively trump Mjolnir. Heck, even Alan's feats might count (versatility feats only, not power)...the power source is different but the application is the same. Any versatility feats he possesses would presumably be applicable to the ring.

Top-end power feats, it's a bit of a wash. Mjolnir has a much higher floor but the ceiling is roughly the same.

All I know is, if I got a ring, I'd go back and look up every feat from every GL. It would at least equal Mjolnir.

abhilegend
If we take any one GL, I'd agree. But if you combine all of the versatility feats of, say, Hal, Kyle, and the others, I think they collectively trump Mjolnir. Heck, even Alan's feats might count (versatility feats only, not power)...the power source is different but the application is the same. Any versatility feats he possesses would presumably be applicable to the ring.

Top-end power feats, it's a bit of a wash. Mjolnir has a much higher floor but the ceiling is roughly the same.

All I know is, if I got a ring, I'd go back and look up every feat from every GL. It would at least equal Mjolnir.
The problem with Kyle's feats is that for the most part, he was amped by Ion. If you take them out he doesn't have so many feats. Despite what you've been told, hal's feats pre-crisis are not valid for him post-crisis. Mjolnir isn't above ring in power by much but it trumps the ring in versatility even if we combine the feats from all the GLs. Alan doesn't count as a GL and you know it.

Zack Fair
How does mjolnir trump power rings in versatility?

I'm fine with mjolnir having more raw power, but more versatility?

A weapon whose only limit is the imagination of its wielder?

"Id"
The problem with Kyle's feats is that for the most part, he was amped by Ion. If you take them out he doesn't have so many feats.

Nope.

The Ion empowerment lasted some time after Oblivion merged with Kyle - up until he liberated himself from the Ion power. Which is roughly one year.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Zack Fair

By feats? Titles are meaningless unless you believe Iron man is invincible.

Originally posted by "Id"
Nope.

The Ion empowerment lasted some time after Oblivion merged with Kyle - up until he liberated himself from the Ion power. Which is roughly one year.
He was getting powered by Ion since Circle of Fire.

Zack Fair
Yes by feats.

Has mjolnir shown more versatility than the power rings?

abhilegend
Yes by feats.

Has mjolnir shown more versatility than the power rings?
Yes.

Zack Fair
Well that was fast.

I am going to disagree and proceed to flip you off just because.

uhuh

"Id"

He was getting powered by Ion since Circle of Fire.
Nope.

The comic was very clear, and specifies Kyle did not seek the energies of the Central Battery left by Parallax in the Sun until after Kyle merged with Oblivion.

abhilegend
Well that was fast.

I am going to disagree and proceed to flip you off just because.

uhuh
Thor>GLs.

uhuhOriginally posted by "Id"
Nope.

The comic was very clear, and specifies Kyle did not seek the energies of the Central Battery left by Parallax in the Sun until after Kyle merged with Oblivion.
Oblivion merged with Kyle in circle of fire. He was getting subconsciously amped ever since then.

"Id"
Thor>GLs.

uhuh
Oblivion merged with Kyle in circle of fire. He was getting subconsciously amped ever since then.
Not since Circle of Fire, because that would allude that he was empowered in that entire story, which he wasn't.

In any case. My point is we are given a clear point of reference, in regards to a time frame of when "Kyle" was being amped. And it wasn't the most part of his carrier as you put it.

Circle of Fire #2 October 2000.
-Feats taking place within this time frame should be considered as a period of empowerment-
Green Lantern v3 #150 July 2002

Digi
The problem with Kyle's feats is that for the most part, he was amped by Ion. If you take them out he doesn't have so many feats. Despite what you've been told, hal's feats pre-crisis are not valid for him post-crisis. Mjolnir isn't above ring in power by much but it trumps the ring in versatility even if we combine the feats from all the GLs. Alan doesn't count as a GL and you know it.

His power is applied the same way. I'm not saying Hal or Kyle could replicate his top-end feats, but any versatility feat that isn't planet-busting or more should be replicable by any normal GL ring.

Kyle and Hal still have plenty of good feats. Even minus PC stuff, the tally would be close if we consider every GL and what the ring is ultimately capable of.

Thor>GLs.

You're conflating the matchup with the potential. I've never said anything except "Thor wins" against any non-amped GL (Alan excluded). But this isn't Thor vs. GL.

Zach posed a good question...how is it less versatile than Mjolnir when it is limited only by the imagination? Mjolnir's feats, however varied, are finite. The ring's diversity is nigh-infinite.

On average, Mjolnir. Based on total potential, the ring.

abhilegend
Not since Circle of Fire, because that would allude that he was empowered in that entire story, which he wasn't.

In any case. My point is we are given a clear point of reference, in regards to a time frame of when "Kyle" was being amped. And it wasn't the most part of his carrier as you put it.

Circle of Fire #2 October 2000.
-Feats taking place within this time frame should be considered as a period of empowerment-
Green Lantern v3 #150 July 2002
He wasn't powered up in that story. He was powered up after that story.
Considering most of Kyle's uber feats happened in that time-frame, I'm fine with that.

He upgraded his ring after he gave up the Ion powers though.Originally posted by Digi
His power is applied the same way. I'm not saying Hal or Kyle could replicate his top-end feats, but any versatility feat that isn't planet-busting or more should be replicable by any normal GL ring.

Kyle and Hal still have plenty of good feats. Even minus PC stuff, the tally would be close if we consider every GL and what the ring is ultimately capable of.

You're conflating the matchup with the potential. I've never said anything except "Thor wins" against any non-amped GL (Alan excluded). But this isn't Thor vs. GL.

Zach posed a good question...how is it less versatile than Mjolnir when it is limited only by the imagination? Mjolnir's feats, however varied, are finite. The ring's diversity is nigh-infinite.

On average, Mjolnir. Based on total potential, the ring.
Versatility isn't about power. I've never seen GLs do shit like remove people's life force or gather magnetic force of a whole planet.

GL ring's potential has never been nigh-infinite. Its just in title only. We've seen it fail many times even though there has been enough willpower to complete a task, most famously in John Stewart's case but there has been cases like that before.

Mindset
Mjolnir

Rage.Of.Olympus
Mjolnir is more powerful.

LordofBrooklyn

I've never seen GLs do shit like remove people's life force or gather magnetic force of a whole planet.

Hal has done that and more.

Created life.
Wiped out the knowledge of events from an entire planet.
Psionic powers on par with with high level psionics.

"Id"

Versatility isn't about power. I've never seen GLs do shit like remove people's life force or gather magnetic force of a whole planet.

GL's have done other things, that I have never seen the Mjolnir replicate. Tapping into the Speed Force, absorbing a black hole, mold the Imaginable World. You cant really say a GL Ring aren't as versatile as the Mjolnir. The fact that can it recreate complex machinery trumps it.

LordofBrooklyn
There is analysis of opponents that the ring provides that Mjolnir cannot.

abhilegend
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
Hal has done that and more.

Created life.
Wiped out the knowledge of events from an entire planet.
Psionic powers on par with with high level psionics.
PC feats.Originally posted by "Id"
GL's have done other things, that I have never seen the Mjolnir replicate. Tapping into the Speed Force, absorbing a black hole, mold the Imaginable World. You cant really say a GL Ring aren't as versatile as the Mjolnir. The fact that can it recreate complex machinery trumps it.
Only one feat of that is done by an unamped ring,

pym-ftw
What unamped Green Lanterns are above Thor?

"Id"
PC feats.
Only one feat of that is done by an unamped ring,
Your delusional, all are valid.

abhilegend
Nope.

Bentley
Originally posted by pym-ftw
What unamped Green Lanterns are above Thor?

Kyle. But that's not the point of this thread, go argue that somewhere else.

"Id"
http://25.media.tumblr.com/b088c97c3499c8031d95bf39b3951c5a/tumblr_mpmjgpwbHz1sz6e6go1_500.gif

Spire
Agreed with others:

Potential power: ring
Average power: Mjolnir

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Bentley
Kyle. But that's not the point of this thread, go argue that somewhere else.
What are you talking about?

With Mjoinir you become Thor

With a ring at best your realistically a rookie GL

How is that not relevant?

abhilegend
Actually Kyle was amped since he was given the ring, he wasn't aware of it.

http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/16377479_green_lantern_0143_20.jpg

So, none of his feats before he gave up Ion power count as his own.

vin

Golgo13
Originally posted by Galan007
In the hands of a competent wielder, I'd put a pre-Johns-era ring above Mjolnir for sure.

A Johns-era ring, however, is a completely different animal. Unless Hal is wielding it, then Mjolnir would likely come out on top.

This. PC era could pretty much do anything Mjonir could. Post crisis, not so much.

Bentley

The question is which is more intrinsically powerful, the lacking user is not being called into question to answer that.

deathlife
Mjolnir

Diesldude
Can Mjolnir top Hal's Krona Buster?

Diesldude

How about Masterson Thor vs GL Hal ?

Human + Mjolnir = Masterson vs Human + Power ring = Hal

curryman

We become rookie GLs, but Geoff Johns sure as shit isn't in control of my life!

Which means that I'll do more than make a big green scissors and boxing gloves big grin

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Diesldude
How about Masterson Thor vs GL Hal ?

Human + Mjolnir = Masterson vs Human + Power ring = Hal
Ok,

Masterson Thor vs Day one Hal...

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Bentley
The question is which is more intrinsically powerful, the lacking user is not being called into question to answer that.
Well assuming we take a new character, average across the board

Mjoinir will turn them into Thor
The Ring gives them power and some homework

Advantage: Mjoinir

Powers:

Roughly even, smarter with ring but stronger with hammer

Advantage: neither

So unless are random wielder has amazing will power, and is a quick learner I don't see any real advantages to the ring, unless you like Oa more than Asgard.

Mindship
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
In theory, the ring should win, but the hammer has the much better feats of the 2, even when being wielded by noobs such as Masterson.

Mjolnir wins. This.

JBL
The hammer. Odin would laugh at a power ring.

leonidas
if all we look at is potential, the ring takes it. what was that series called where kyle subconsciously created 4 lanterns? one had the speed force? can't recall the others but each was very powerful and believed themselves to be completely individual beings, even with their own histories..... showed how powerful the ring COULD be.

curryman
It's not just about power though.

A hammer is very unwieldy and I feel like it's a lot easier to get separated from it. The lanterns can more or less internalize the ring, and Kyle's instant-reconstitution should more or less make up for any lacking durability-boost. Not to mention the awesome amounts knowledge and information the ring stores.

Blue Area Vet
Da hamma and how is this even a question?

JBL
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Da hamma and how is this even a question? I agree. The hammer is FAR FAR more powerful.

Digi
GL ring's potential has never been nigh-infinite. Its just in title only. We've seen it fail many times even though there has been enough willpower to complete a task, most famously in John Stewart's case but there has been cases like that before.

Versatility is a form of power. If you're only talking about raw output, we're having different conversations.

I'd also refute your "PC feats aren't canon" claims on a couple counts. One, the Guardians were outside the original Crisis event and were unaffected by it. This was explicitly stated a few times, I think most recently in the Sinestro Corps War. As such, the nature of the rings and how they operate didn't change at all, so any feats from the PC era can be safely included in their "potential." Again, you're conflating the ring with its wielder. Even if, say, Hal's PC feats aren't applicable for Hal specifically if Hal's canon was wiped clean (though I'm not sure it was), they're still applicable for the rings in general, because their power source and how they operate didn't change at all.

Newjak
Depends on what you mean by more powerful. There are a ton of different ways to do break this argument down where each one comes out a little ahead of each other. Some it will just come down to personal taste. Personally I would rather have the hammer.

As for my decision.

Raw Power output:
I'm sorry I'm taking the hammer over the ring. If there is one thing Thor can do it's unleash powerful attacks.

Versatility:
Well if you take all of the GL feats together than yes it nudges out Mjolnir but the Hammer isn't far behind. Plus the hammer being magical I think gives it a trump card in a lot of cases.

Also I think most people are ignoring the very real limitations the rings have. I know people like to tout one Lantern's feats for another but honestly each Lantern is different with different personalities which causes the ring to manifest it's powers slightly different for each one. People acting like they get the ring and will be able to do everything any lantern ever did is fool-hardy. Odds are no one here is pulling off every feat every lantern ever did even if they know they can. The ring is still limited by imagination and WILLPOWER. Some of you would be lucky to get a blast off before draining yourselves stick out tongue

Also the hammer not only grants you versatility but an incredibly powerful body with great physical stats.

And as an energy shield, energy absorber the hammer has few equals in that department.

LordofBrooklyn
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Da hamma and how is this even a question?

CANON.

abhilegend
Versatility is a form of power. If you're only talking about raw output, we're having different conversations.

I'd also refute your "PC feats aren't canon" claims on a couple counts. One, the Guardians were outside the original Crisis event and were unaffected by it. This was explicitly stated a few times, I think most recently in the Sinestro Corps War. As such, the nature of the rings and how they operate didn't change at all, so any feats from the PC era can be safely included in their "potential." Again, you're conflating the ring with its wielder. Even if, say, Hal's PC feats aren't applicable for Hal specifically if Hal's canon was wiped clean (though I'm not sure it was), they're still applicable for the rings in general, because their power source and how they operate didn't change at all.
Not really. Versatility in itself isn't a form of power. Its the way somebody can use his power.

Guardians were affected by the crisis too. The ring fundamentally changed after crisis. Before crisis it had practically limitless energy for 24 hours and after crisis it could run out of energy before its time. Emerald dawn rebooted GLs in 1990. It changed hal's history, changed how ring operated and many such things. PC feats are canon for every character in DC after infinite crisis though.

curryman
Newjak, if we're going off the limitation that we need to fuel the ring by pure willpower then it's pointless, because no one here would get anything done.

Just like no one here would be morthy of Mjolnir smile

"Id"
Actually Kyle was amped since he was given the ring, he wasn't aware of it.

http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/16377479_green_lantern_0143_20.jpg

So, none of his feats before he gave up Ion power count as his own.

vin
Nope.

Originally posted by Newjak
Depends on what you mean by more powerful. There are a ton of different ways to do break this argument down where each one comes out a little ahead of each other. Some it will just come down to personal taste. Personally I would rather have the hammer.

As for my decision.

Raw Power output:
I'm sorry I'm taking the hammer over the ring. If there is one thing Thor can do it's unleash powerful attacks.

Versatility:
Well if you take all of the GL feats together than yes it nudges out Mjolnir but the Hammer isn't far behind. Plus the hammer being magical I think gives it a trump card in a lot of cases.

Also I think most people are ignoring the very real limitations the rings have. I know people like to tout one Lantern's feats for another but honestly each Lantern is different with different personalities which causes the ring to manifest it's powers slightly different for each one. People acting like they get the ring and will be able to do everything any lantern ever did is fool-hardy. Odds are no one here is pulling off every feat every lantern ever did even if they know they can. The ring is still limited by imagination and WILLPOWER. Some of you would be lucky to get a blast off before draining yourselves stick out tongue

Also the hammer not only grants you versatility but an incredibly powerful body with great physical stats.

And as an energy shield, energy absorber the hammer has few equals in that department.

The same people voting for Mjolnir think they are going call forth the full powers of Thor, when in reality they will be Masterson Lite.

Digi
Originally posted by curryman
Newjak, if we're going off the limitation that we need to fuel the ring by pure willpower then it's pointless, because no one here would get anything done.

Just like no one here would be worthy of Mjolnir smile

Everyone thinks you're wrong about them.

I'm at least practical enough to realize I'm not worthy. But I can't help but feel subjective disagreement with you about the ring.

LordofBrooklyn
Just like no one here would be morthy of Mjolnir smile

Speak for yourself, sir!

TheGodKiller
Everyone thinks you're wrong about them.

I'm at least practical enough to realize I'm not worthy. But I can't help but feel subjective disagreement with you about the ring.
I don't and you obviously don't, so the "everyone" part of your statement is incorrect.

Digi
I don't and you obviously don't, so the "everyone" part of your statement is incorrect.

Heh. Don't be pedantic. You know what I mean. It's like the ingrained feeling nearly everyone has that they're an above-average driver, when 50% of people have to be below average.

TheGodKiller
Not being pedantic. Just pointing out the obvious. 13

And I seriously doubt anyone(on this forum at the very least) thinks like that. Unless you're an h1 with with his 60 mph punches.

Newjak

Just like no one here would be morthy of Mjolnir smile I should have added I'm also assuming we can wield the weapons in question.

For instance I'm assuming we can lift the hammer,

and I'm assuming we got chosen to be a green lantern.

Otherwise the discussion is moot.

But if we are are determining overall power, the limitations of the ring should be addressed in that it is limited to the person wielding the ring. So most people who randomly pick up the ring won't be able to do half of what all GLs have done in their lifetime.

Even the most powerful unamped Green Lanterns are generally on par with Thor in power instead of over him and most times I would pick Thor in a fight over them because his powers are very suited to combating GLs.

And also there aren't too many things the ring can do versatility wise that the hammer won't let you do anyways. PLus it has the bonus of being magical which I think helps it in certain cases over the ring.

Digi
And I seriously doubt anyone(on this forum at the very least) thinks like that. Unless you're an h1 with with his 60 mph punches.

I think you esteem the general membership a bit too highly. The number of people I've encountered on this board who think they could not only wield a GL ring, but wield it better than comic GLs, is staggering. Btw, I'm one of them.

wink

Mjolnir might be a different issue. People are more willing to admit that they're d*cks in one form or another, which doesn't translate to "worthy" very well. You might be right on that one.

Newjak
I think you esteem the general membership a bit too highly. The number of people I've encountered on this board who think they could not only wield a GL ring, but wield it better than comic GLs, is staggering. Btw, I'm one of them.

wink

Mjolnir might be a different issue. People are more willing to admit that they're d*cks in one form or another, which doesn't translate to "worthy" very well. You might be right on that one. I think you're one of the people who might be able to get a blast off before falling down exhausted. That's a compliment btw because it means you would actually get chosen to wield it at some point. stick out tongue

Mindset
Mjolnir would have to question whether it was worthy of me.

abhilegend
Nope.

The same people voting for Mjolnir think they are going call forth the full powers of Thor, when in reality they will be Masterson Lite.
Yep. Kyle was amped from day one.

TheGodKiller

wink
The winking smilie gave you away.

Seriously though, I doubt the majority of this forum thinks as someone like h1 would.

curryman
Glad we agree on people being able to use the weapons, if nothing else big grin

But if we are are determining overall power, the limitations of the ring should be addressed in that it is limited to the person wielding the ring. So most people who randomly pick up the ring won't be able to do half of what all GLs have done in their lifetime.

Even the most powerful unamped Green Lanterns are generally on par with Thor in power instead of over him and most times I would pick Thor in a fight over them because his powers are very suited to combating GLs.

And also there aren't too many things the ring can do versatility wise that the hammer won't let you do anyways. PLus it has the bonus of being magical which I think helps it in certain cases over the ring.

I'll concede a definite power-limitation on the Power Ring's wielder, but that would also go both ways then. Masterson and Red Norvell have been massive disappointments in certain cases.

I think the ring has Mjolnir beat very, very, very hard in versatility outside of combat. It's easier to transport people, shield others, repair/build stuff, scan things, save people and so on. Mjolnir only edges out the destruction bit, which is only better when you're fighting, but even then the ability to have your ring do a quick-scan on your opponent is invaluable.

The best part about Mjolnir for me is the passive durability-strength boost, which is huge, that and the fact that Mjolnir is magical.

Digi
I think you're one of the people who might be able to get a blast off before falling down exhausted. That's a compliment btw because it means you would actually get chosen to wield it at some point. stick out tongue

You mean no better than Green Arrow?! If I can't out-blast Ollie with the ring, my life is a lie.

uhuh

The winking smilie gave you away.

Seriously though, I doubt the majority of this forum thinks as someone like h1 would.

Fair enough. I'm just saying I've literally seen at least a dozen people on my decade or so on KMC whose mentality was "...if I just had a GL ring, I'd show everyone..."

"Id"
Yep. Kyle was amped from day one.
Amped by what? His GL Ring? Because it was certainly not by Oan Energies left in the Sun.

Newjak
Glad we agree on people being able to use the weapons, if nothing else big grin

I'll concede a definite power-limitation on the Power Ring's wielder, but that would also go both ways then. Masterson and Red Norvell have been massive disappointments in certain cases.

I think the ring has Mjolnir beat very, very, very hard in versatility outside of combat. It's easier to transport people, shield others, repair/build stuff, scan things, save people and so on. Mjolnir only edges out the destruction bit, which is only better when you're fighting, but even then the ability to have your ring do a quick-scan on your opponent is invaluable.

The best part about Mjolnir for me is the passive durability-strength boost, which is huge, that and the fact that Mjolnir is magical. I know somewhere someone once complied a list of all the things Thor's hammer and powers could do. It was quite extensive and up there with the best of what GLs could do.

Thor has crazy options.

You mean no better than Green Arrow?! If I can't out-blast Ollie with the ring, my life is a lie.

uhuh

Fair enough. I'm just saying I've literally seen at least a dozen people on my decade or so on KMC whose mentality was "...if I just had a GL ring, I'd show everyone..." I like Green Arrow so watch your tongue Digi uhuh. At least you're better than most of the people here.

Originally posted by Mindset
Mjolnir would have to question whether it was worthy of me. Unlike this guy, who I'm pretty certain the items would vaporize for being so terrible uhuh

curryman
I know somewhere someone once complied a list of all the things Thor's hammer and powers could do. It was quite extensive and up there with the best of what GLs could do.

Thor has crazy options.

Once you've got energy manipulation/weather stuff by the way of magic, you can pretty much do anything I guess stick out tongue

Doesn't help too much when the hammer's practical applications are terrible tho. Thor's always supporting falling buildings with his body, unless you wanna disarm yourself to have it encased in a whirlwind.

But Mjolnir's so god damn imprecise!

Newjak
Once you've got energy manipulation/weather stuff by the way of magic, you can pretty much do anything I guess stick out tongue

Doesn't help too much when the hammer's practical applications are terrible tho. Thor's always supporting falling buildings with his body, unless you wanna disarm yourself to have it encased in a whirlwind.

But Mjolnir's so god damn imprecise! I'm pretty sure Thor has used his powers in very precise ways before. He once transmutated Absorbing Man into Helium.

He also shown a few times where he can just let Mjolnir fly and hit everything in the vicinity.

Plus turning into Thor gives you some other goodies like immortaility. He can look and peer into space time itself. Do random magical things out of nowhere like dispelling magic, bringing back the dead.

curryman
I'm pretty sure Thor has used his powers in very precise ways before. He once transmutated Absorbing Man into Helium.

He also shown a few times where he can just let Mjolnir fly and hit everything in the vicinity.

Plus turning into Thor gives you some other goodies like immortaility. He can look and peer into space time itself. Do random magical things out of nowhere like dispelling magic, bringing back the dead.

I'm well familiar with all of this, tho transmuting someone isn't particularly precise if you ask me.

I also really dislike the fact that you'll need to disarm yourself to do a lot of stuff.

Yes, the magic/god aspect has some really good bits.

TheGodKiller
Fair enough. I'm just saying I've literally seen at least a dozen people on my decade or so on KMC whose mentality was "...if I just had a GL ring, I'd show everyone..."
Well, a dozen h1s in a decade isn't as surprising as it seems on the surface.

Digi
Well, a dozen h1s in a decade isn't as surprising as it seems on the surface.

Meh, tip of the iceberg imo. For every vocal person, there's another 10 secretly thinking they'd wreck everyone. Practicality doesn't always run high among the comic crowd, especially once you get away from the rigidity of KMC and its debate structure.

Newjak
Meh, tip of the iceberg imo. For every vocal person, there's another 10 secretly thinking they'd wreck everyone. Practicality doesn't always run high among the comic crowd, especially once you get away from the rigidity of KMC and its debate structure. I agree with this. I know a quite a few people here who would probably feel like they could weild a GL ring just as well as the comic book characters. Probably some with Thor's Hammer as well.

Most people tend to think of themselves as the main characters in their lives and thus all the cool stuff should happen to them.

It's why most people picture themselves as the bad@$$ zombie killer of the apocalypse when odds are they would be killed with their first zombie encounter.

curryman
Performing is up for debate, but you can't deny that anyone here would do better when it comes to imagination.

Newjak
Performing is up for debate, but you can't deny that anyone here would do better when it comes to imagination. Not really, imagination and creativity is a talent. Either you have it or you don't. You might be able to work around it to a degree but no I don't think everyone here would do as well as the comic book GLs. In fact I could see most of the people here finding something that works and continually using it over and over. Once again that's even if they could wield the items.

TheGodKiller
Meh, tip of the iceberg imo. For every vocal person, there's another 10 secretly thinking they'd wreck everyone. Practicality doesn't always run high among the comic crowd, especially once you get away from the rigidity of KMC and its debate structure.
So, 10 vocal ones, and a hundred who have yet to come out of the closet? Out of the thousands(I am only guessing here) that have probably posted on the Comicbook Forums in the last decade or, those still aren't very surprising odds.

curryman
Not really, imagination and creativity is a talent. Either you have it or you don't. You might be able to work around it to a degree but no I don't think everyone here would do as well as the comic book GLs. In fact I could see most of the people here finding something that works and continually using it over and over. Once again that's even if they could wield the items.

Sorry, you're just wrong here.

If you don't think people could do better than creating scissors and shields, then I what would they create? Johns, and almost every other writer since, has put the GLs on nothing but mundane everyday-items.

Please tell me what else people would be creating?

Digi
Don't you have to be fairly detailed with GL constructs? Like, I couldn't just will technology to happen, I'd have to understand how it works, right? I think that would severely limit a lot of people to boxing gloves and such.

I agree with this. I know a quite a few people here who would probably feel like they could weild a GL ring just as well as the comic book characters. Probably some with Thor's Hammer as well.

Most people tend to think of themselves as the main characters in their lives and thus all the cool stuff should happen to them.

It's why most people picture themselves as the bad@$$ zombie killer of the apocalypse when odds are they would be killed with their first zombie encounter.

I always preferred the ancillary characters. Less drama.

I couldn't wield Mjolnir. Not a chance.

I also know that, statistically, I'm probably wrong about the GL thing. Doesn't mean I'm definitely wrong, though, and the subjective nature of this particular debate means we'll never know. Someone would be amazing with a GL ring, we just can't really know who.

If I believed in heaven, this is in the top 5 of things I'd have God settle once I got there.

I'd die gloriously in a zombie apocalypse. And quickly, mind you, I have no delusions. But gloriously.

Newjak
Sorry, you're just wrong here.

If you don't think people could do better than creating scissors and shields, then I what would they create? Johns, and almost every other writer since, has put the GLs on nothing but mundane everyday-items.

Please tell me what else people would be creating? Most people would resort to what they know.

For instance if someone was a football player odds are they would use football related items and probably continue to use it. Other people might use musical instruments. The point is most people are going to resort to what they know because that's how their minds work. Not everyone is super creative enough to build a particle laser on the fly. Or come up with a super clever way to beat someone by using the rings in creative ways. In fact I would say most people are going to be pretty straight forward with how they use it.

Of all the people I have met on KMC I would say a handful are creative enough to use the ring the way you think they should.

So, 10 vocal ones, and a hundred who have yet to come out of the closet? Out of the thousands(I am only guessing here) that have probably posted on the Comicbook Forums in the last decade or, those still aren't very surprising odds. It's probably more common than you think. Most people would feel if they came into contact with a super powered ring that they would be able to use it. Most people would at the very least try.

Digi
So, 10 vocal ones, and a hundred who have yet to come out of the closet? Out of the thousands(I am only guessing here) that have probably posted on the Comicbook Forums in the last decade or, those still aren't very surprising odds.

Heh. You keep taking me so literally. The point was that there's a lot we don't see or hear about. 10 was clearly just a guess.

TheGodKiller
It's probably more common than you think. Most people would feel if they came into contact with a super powered ring that they would be able to use it. Most people would at the very least try.
Nah, it's probably less common than you think. I would be more agreeable to this idea if we were talking about noob newbies, but once you have been posting for a year or so, then the "phase" is over. Most of the posters here are joined many years ago, so I seriously doubt people still carry this type of mentality around.

Newjak
Don't you have to be fairly detailed with GL constructs? Like, I couldn't just will technology to happen, I'd have to understand how it works, right? I think that would severely limit a lot of people to boxing gloves and such.

I always preferred the ancillary characters. Less drama.

I couldn't wield Mjolnir. Not a chance.

I also know that, statistically, I'm probably wrong about the GL thing. Doesn't mean I'm definitely wrong, though, and the subjective nature of this particular debate means we'll never know. Someone would be amazing with a GL ring, we just can't really know who.

If I believed in heaven, this is in the top 5 of things I'd have God settle once I got there.

I'd die gloriously in a zombie apocalypse. And quickly, mind you, I have no delusions. But gloriously. No I think most people tend to think of themselves as the main character in the world and therefore feel like they could do the really cool stuff.

Oh yeah there is someone out there that could use it the ring properly but not a lot of people.

I see you know donning your Doctor costume or Thor costume and charging into the zombies to die a painful death stick out tongue

Digi
No I think most people tend to think of themselves as the main character in the world and therefore feel like they could do the really cool stuff.

Oh yeah there is someone out there that could use it the ring properly but not a lot of people.

I see you know donning your Doctor costume or Thor costume and charging into the zombies to die a painful death stick out tongue

Lol. That's actually somewhat accurate.

What people don't realize is that regardless of the type of zombie plan you have - or the cleverness and complexity - sheer numbers would kill most people. The living would be living by equal parts blind chance and reactive ability.

To that end, I'd simply try to enjoy it. Become a feral maniac roaming the streets at night or something. Not in costume though (although my Mjolnir is not the plastic one and could legitimately wreck things). I'd try to save lives and have fun. I'd undoubtedly die before too long, but it would be a hero's death, so I'd be ok with it.

curryman
Most people would resort to what they know.

For instance if someone was a football player odds are they would use football related items and probably continue to use it. Other people might use musical instruments. The point is most people are going to resort to what they know because that's how their minds work. Not everyone is super creative enough to build a particle laser on the fly. Or come up with a super clever way to beat someone by using the rings in creative ways. In fact I would say most people are going to be pretty straight forward with how they use it.

Of all the people I have met on KMC I would say a handful are creative enough to use the ring the way you think they should.

Thinking you can create it is enough.

The green lanterns don't have to know how things work in order to create them.

This road also leads nowhere for your mjolnir-argument, where you have to be even more creative to actually get something done. Where using your construct to support a falling building makes sense, using a giant whirlwind really does not. Who'd even try it?

Not to mention the fact that your own ring educates you, speeds up your perception, etc.

Newjak
Thinking you can create it is enough.

The green lanterns don't have to know how things work in order to create them.

This road also leads nowhere for your mjolnir-argument, where you have to be even more creative to actually get something done. Where using your construct to support a falling building makes sense, using a giant whirlwind really does not. Who'd even try it?

Not to mention the fact that your own ring educates you, speeds up your perception, etc. Some of Thor's finer exotic powers need to be figured out but other times Thor just needs to want something and the hammer makes it happen.

And most people wouldn't think to create them because their minds aren't creative enough to do so on the fly. Most people are going to resort to giant green fists, or cars, or planes. A lot of the creative stuff you're talking about them doing they wouldn't.

curryman
Some of Thor's finer exotic powers need to be figured out but other times Thor just needs to want something and the hammer makes it happen.

And most people wouldn't think to create them because their minds aren't creative enough to do so on the fly. Most people are going to resort to giant green fists, or cars, or planes. A lot of the creative stuff you're talking about them doing they wouldn't.

Okay, I realize that Joe Sixpack from Ohio wouldn't accomplish much at first, I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about people who have been reading these comics a hundred times.

You only need to think it at it happens. You have superhuman speed and then there's the fact that the ring educates you.

Not only does it detect weaknesses, scan stuff, work with your perception, it literally teaches you about its capabilities.

Newjak
Okay, I realize that Joe Sixpack from Ohio wouldn't accomplish much at first, I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about people who have been reading these comics a hundred times.

You only need to think it at it happens. You have superhuman speed and then there's the fact that the ring educates you.

Not only does it detect weaknesses, scan stuff, work with your perception, it literally teaches you about its capabilities. Even if you have read every issue of GL it doesn't mean you can duplicate it. Remember the ring still has limits based on yourself. It isn't infinite.

And most times even if you read every issue of GL you still wouldn't think or be good enough to use the ring in that way.

Branlor Swift
My constructs would be dildos and Fedors

Newjak
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
My constructs would be dildos and Fedors And I rest my case Curryman stick out tongue

Blair Wind
I'd wreck you all with a Green Lantern ring uhuh

curryman
Even if you have read every issue of GL it doesn't mean you can duplicate it. Remember the ring still has limits based on yourself. It isn't infinite.

And most times even if you read every issue of GL you still wouldn't think or be good enough to use the ring in that way.

You're not responding to my points, you're just repeating yourself here stick out tongue

Yes, okay, very well. I've understood that not everybody would be able to think of something more creative than a hammer when trying to break something.

Fortunately, the ring helps you in several ways.

- Weakness detection.
- Educates you.
- Instantly feed stuff to your head.
- Superhuman perception.
- You do not need to know how things work.

Kyle has a good comment in Morrison's run. "I'm your worst nightmare, manga-buff with a power-ring." And it really is that simple. Just steal shit.

Digi
Originally posted by Blair Wind

I was waiting for Blair to show up. I rest my case.

stick out tongue

Blair Wind

uhuh

Also, I pretty much agree with everything that Digi and Curry have said.

I was waiting for Blair to show up. I rest my case.

stick out tongue

Including this.

Lets not lie Digi. You, Leo, Delph, Jake, Smurph, myself. We would be monster GLs (assumption made that willpower was something we all had)

Newjak
I'd wreck you all with a Green Lantern ring uhuh You're actually one of the people I think would do well with a GL ring stick out tongue

You're not responding to my points, you're just repeating yourself here stick out tongue

Yes, okay, very well. I've understood that not everybody would be able to think of something more creative than a hammer when trying to break something.

Fortunately, the ring helps you in several ways.

- Weakness detection.
- Educates you.
- Instantly feed stuff to your head.
- Superhuman perception.
- You do not need to know how things work.

Kyle has a good comment in Morrison's run. "I'm your worst nightmare, manga-buff with a power-ring." And it really is that simple. Just steal shit. Alright I will address your points. Those features aren't always on. After all there is a GL training camp for a reason. They have never been instant, this is what you need to do to win, otherwise the ring wouldn't need the ring bearer at all.

Thor's powers gives you superhuman perception.

You need to know how things work more than what you need with the hammer. Most of the time using the magic hammer is as simple as, I want something to happen magically it happens much like the ring.

That's the same self indulgent thinking that most nerds like to think about when they consider themselves with powers. Obviously since I've read the comics I will bea bigger bad@$$ then the actual characters.

I hate to tell you this you're not going to go around automatically using every exotic power the GL ring can pull off.Know why willpower, you're probably not really that creative enough to do it. In the heat of battle odds are your brain has been programmed to resort to things that are common for you to do.

Being creative and having a good imagination is just not something everybody walks around with. Not everyone can think outside of the box.

You acting like you cold use the ring even half as well as Kyle just because you read comics is a self-indulgent fantasy.

Branlor Swift
I have lots of willpower I guess since I hurt myself a lot, but my imagination and knowledge of how things work is limited to cartoons, buildings, and porn

Am I going to drop a bifold door on someone, or shoot a big nailer at someone, like really?

Mjolnir would be 'easiest' for someone just looking for a good time. Sure you'd lack some things, but most powers would be available right away and you'd have a sort of static power level. Plus natural super strength

Digi
Including this.

Lets not lie Digi. You, Leo, Delph, Jake, Smurph, myself. We would be monster GLs (assumption made that willpower was something we all had)

laughing out loud

Agreed. Nice to see someone else on board. Friggin' Newjak was trying to tell me that it was a compliment that I'd be exhausted after a single blast...

Newjak
laughing out loud

Agreed. Nice to see someone else on board. Friggin' Newjak was trying to tell me that it was a compliment that I'd be exhausted after a single blast... It was uhuh

Of course I think 99% of the people in this world couldn't even fire a single shot stick out tongue Most would be lucky just to get it to light up.

curryman

Alright I will address your points. Those features aren't always on. After all there is a GL training camp for a reason. They have never been instant, this is what you need to do to win, otherwise the ring wouldn't need the ring bearer at all.
Those features are always on.

Johns' run, that's hot it went. Even in DCNU the ring will inform new users about its capabilities, etc.

Obviously the wielder is there for several other reasons, as well as that. Specifically because they needed someone who could be held accountable, in stark contrast to the Manhunters, and the ring still needs to be fed willpower.

That's the same self indulgent thinking that most nerds like to think about when they consider themselves with powers. Obviously since I've read the comics I will bea bigger bad@$$ then the actual characters.

Some kind of veiled insult?

Obviously since you've read a lot about a subject you would have more knowledge about that subject than someone who has not. Not sure how far you've ever ventured into the field of psychology here, but once things have been introduced to you, that's where your mind will go almost instantly. In many ways, seeing Hal create a giant green hammer has done more harm than good.

And if you want to try and bring down the nerds consider a couple of things, mostly backed by studies in social psychology (my field).

Any gamer (especially those who do shooting games) registers a far higher reaction time than people who do not. People who read a lot/immerse themselves in the arts show far greater creative ability than people who do not. I won't go into the obvious creative benefits of people who work with engineering, math, robotics, other typical "nerd" jobs.

And finally, if there's any trait that unites most of the "nerds" is that they're on average smarter than other people, and a hell of a lot more prone to getting lost in fantasies. The domain of a power ring.

I hate to tell you this you're not going to go around automatically using every exotic power the GL ring can pull off.Know why willpower, you're probably not really that creative enough to do it. In the heat of battle odds are your brain has been programmed to resort to things that are common for you to do.

I can after I sit down for 24 hours and listen to what the ring tells me it can do. Literally, there are scans of this.

In the heat of battle? Nonsense. Most of this stuff can be programmed on beforehand. Instant-reconstitution of your body, a safe haven for your consciousness, auto-shields. Hell, the ring can feed all sorts of drugs into your system to keep you calm, and at the same time keep the harmful effects off you.

Yes, the willpower. The real big issue here. This is all assuming that I actually have the willpower to fuel these ideas. If I don't, then I don't, and if I do then I do. That's besides the point of creativity though.

Being creative and having a good imagination is just not something everybody walks around with. Not everyone can think outside of the box.

You acting like you cold use the ring even half as well as Kyle just because you read comics is a self-indulgent fantasy.

Not everybody walks around with a good imagination and being creative. Comic-book nerds more often than not, do. Writers, artists, people who create stuff. Creative people are creative. And while I'm sure that the part of the board that inhales MMA, and whatever other shit's the media's trying to streamline into your head might struggle a bit, this is a group of people who have been gathered here by their love of comic-books. A creative work, if nothing else.

And please, spare me the implication that Kyle's somehow more competent than any of us. The whole concept of him (beyond cashing in on some awkward early 90s Nintendo-radical dude phase) is that any loser with creativity can do well with the ring. He's a street-rat artist.

JayDaDon
If I'm gonna believe you can wield a ring in real life I better hear some real life testimonials as to what your awesome willpower has done for you.

Digi
It was uhuh

Of course I think 99% of the people in this world couldn't even fire a single shot stick out tongue Most would be lucky just to get it to light up.

I guess if that's the competition, thanks for the compliment.

I'd go old school with my oath too, and bust out Alan's original oath.

Or even better, the Duck Dodgers Lantern Oath:

"In blackest day or brightest night,
Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda,
er...superstitious and cowardly lot,
with liberty and justice for all!"

curryman
Originally posted by JayDaDon
If I'm gonna believe you can wield a ring in real life I better hear some real life testimonials as to what your awesome willpower has done for you.

Why don't you try gathering your willpower and read the part where I specifically mention that smile

"Id"
Say you pick up either item.

As a noob, with the ring you benefit from an A.I. to instruct you on the uses, and limitations of the ring.

With the Mallet, Bill or Eric did not benefit from such assistance. Its a bit more of trail by fire.

Newjak
Those features are always on.

Johns' run, that's hot it went. Even in DCNU the ring will inform new users about its capabilities, etc.

Obviously the wielder is there for several other reasons, as well as that. Specifically because they needed someone who could be held accountable, in stark contrast to the Manhunters, and the ring still needs to be fed willpower.

Some kind of veiled insult?

Obviously since you've read a lot about a subject you would have more knowledge about that subject than someone who has not. Not sure how far you've ever ventured into the field of psychology here, but once things have been introduced to you, that's where your mind will go almost instantly. In many ways, seeing Hal create a giant green hammer has done more harm than good.

And if you want to try and bring down the nerds consider a couple of things, mostly backed by studies in social psychology (my field).

Any gamer (especially those who do shooting games) registers a far higher reaction time than people who do not. People who read a lot/immerse themselves in the arts show far greater creative ability than people who do not. I won't go into the obvious creative benefits of people who work with engineering, math, robotics, other typical "nerd" jobs.

And finally, if there's any trait that unites most of the "nerds" is that they're on average smarter than other people, and a hell of a lot more prone to getting lost in fantasies. The domain of a power ring.

I can after I sit down for 24 hours and listen to what the ring tells me it can do. Literally, there are scans of this.

In the heat of battle? Nonsense. Most of this stuff can be programmed on beforehand. Instant-reconstitution of your body, a safe haven for your consciousness, auto-shields. Hell, the ring can feed all sorts of drugs into your system to keep you calm, and at the same time keep the harmful effects off you.

Yes, the willpower. The real big issue here. This is all assuming that I actually have the willpower to fuel these ideas. If I don't, then I don't, and if I do then I do. That's besides the point of creativity though.

Not everybody walks around with a good imagination and being creative. Comic-book nerds more often than not, do. Writers, artists, people who create stuff. Creative people are creative. And while I'm sure that the part of the board that inhales MMA, and whatever other shit's the media's trying to streamline into your head might struggle a bit, this is a group of people who have been gathered here by their love of comic-books. A creative work, if nothing else.

And please, spare me the implication that Kyle's somehow more competent than any of us. The whole concept of him (beyond cashing in on some awkward early 90s Nintendo-radical dude phase) is that any loser with creativity can do well with the ring. He's a street-rat artist. Yet not everyone who has the ring uses it in the same way. There are plenty of times when one GL's feat would be helpful in another's situation but for some reason it never happens. Because the actions of the ring are still tied to the mind of the person. Learning the capabilities of something does not mean you can use those capabilities to their fullest.

It's not insult. Most people like to believe they can duplicate the things they see but unfortunately we are humans beings with limitations physically and mentally. Recognizing those limitations isn't bad or an insult. And being creative is a talent and sadly most people don't possess it as a strength.

Yes writer's and artists tend to lean that way when their minds are developing I'm not arguing that but being a fan of comic books does not auto equate to being super creative.

Understanding something capabilities also does not mean you can use those abilities to their fullest. Or that you even have a chance. Remember the ring still has limits and often times those limits are not just because of the ring but also the wielder.

Kyle like most comic book characters are arguably better at anytthing their human counter parts can do. So you might consider yourself creative you'll never be as creative as a fictional character where it's their main ability. Why because often times they transcend human limits even mentally.

The point Kyle doesn't have to have limits you unfortunately do. Odds are you'll never be able to use the ring half as well as Kyle could even if you're creative by human standards. Or Hal, John, even Guy.

Perhaps I'm wrong you happen to be one of the creative people here who could use the ring halfway decent but you're the minority. Most people simply won't even comic book nerds.

Blair Wind
With a hammer, the practical uses are pretty pathetic in the real world. Hammer a nail, fly, create a storm.

With a GL ring: life-like women for sex, handjobs, blow jobs, constructs of any kind, flight, TK, etc.

I don't see the downside to having a ring.

Newjak
I guess if that's the competition, thanks for the compliment.

I'd go old school with my oath too, and bust out Alan's original oath.

Or even better, the Duck Dodgers Lantern Oath:

"In blackest day or brightest night,
Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda,
er...superstitious and cowardly lot,
with liberty and justice for all!" laughing out loud

I loved that episode of Duck Dodgers.

I'm trying to be realistic. Most people like to pretend they would be able to do this stuff, but most won't.

curryman
I'm sorry, Newjak just claimed that Kyle's creativity transcended possible human creativity.

I'm out!

^Not an insult btw, but we're not getting anywhere.

Newjak
With a hammer, the practical uses are pretty pathetic in the real world. Hammer a nail, fly, create a storm.

With a GL ring: life-like women for sex, handjobs, blow jobs, constructs of any kind, flight, TK, etc.

I don't see the downside to having a ring. If I had Thor's power I wouldn't need that I could get real women to do all that for me wink

Plus long life, the hammer can do all manner of things like open portals, control the elements, transmutate things, heal people, become invisible, bring people back to life.

Newjak
I'm sorry, Newjak just claimed that Kyle's creativity transcended possible human creativity.

I'm out! He's a comic book character they tend to do that. Just like Hal Jordan probably has more willpower than any real life person because he is a comic book character and can theoretically have infinite willpower. Something I think has been stated on panel before.

Kyle is a fictional character that can transcend human limitations because he isn't actual flesh and blood.

curryman
He's a comic book character they tend to do that. Just like Hal Jordan probably has more willpower than any real life person because he is a comic book character and can theoretically have infinite willpower. Something I think has been stated on panel before.

Kyle is a fictional character that can transcend human limitations because he isn't actual flesh and blood.

Willpower is one thing.

I'm arguing creativity. That's been made abundantly clear bro.

Kyle's written by comic-book writers who find themselves on the lower end of the creativity-spectrum. He's not more creative than real manga fans/artists.

Newjak
Willpower is one thing.

I'm arguing creativity. That's been made abundantly clear bro. It was an example bro.

It's something common in comics. For instance there probably exists a comic where it is stated Kyle has infinite creativity.

Would you say a real life human being has or could have infinite creativity? Because Kyle could.

Kyle is as creative as the comic needs him to be.

Unfortunately you aren't. You're stuck with what you got, and I honestly don't see too many people here being able to do half the stuff they claim to.

And once again this bypasses the very real limitations of the ring because the ring itself has limits.

curryman
It was an example bro.

It's something common in comics. For instance there probably exists a comic where it is stated Kyle has infinite creativity.

Would you say a real life human being has or could have infinite creativity? Because Kyle could.

No, Kyle has the creativity of what his writers can come up with.

Mindset
What would infinite creativity even mean?

Newjak
No, Kyle has the creativity of what his writers can come up with. And all the writers have to do is say Kyle thought of something no other human being could because he has unlimited creativity. And therefore he now has more creativity then any other person alive.

Newjak
What would infinite creativity even mean? That he can think of anything and everything. It's not any more absurd than infinite willpower.

curryman
And all the writers have to do is say Kyle thought of something no other human being could because he has unlimited creativity. And therefore he now has more creativity then any other person alive.

Okay.

Until they do, let's say that his creativity's limited to what's actually shown.

Which is what I'm debating.

Mindset
Phucking magnets, how do they work?

Newjak
Okay.

Until they do, let's say that his creativity's limited to what's actually shown. That's the point though there is that leway he get's as a comic book character you don't have. You have very real limits. Kyle doesn't. He can be as creative as needed. You're stuck.

And honestly most of the people here brag about the different things they could do. I don't think most people here are really creative enough to use the ring half as well as Kyle, and definitely not even close to it.

Most people like to believe they can, you maybe the exception in that you maybe could, but most can't.

Mindset
That he can think of anything and everything. It's not any more absurd than infinite willpower. Yes it is.

Digi

I don't see the downside to having a ring.

laughing out loud

Do you have any idea how much poon we'd be rolling in if we were GLs? Skip the green sex dolls, bro.

Agreed on the rest. Being Thor would make you a bull in a china shop. I could save the planet or take out the garbage with my ring. WAY more practical uses.

Mindset
So we're all agreed that Mjolnir is more powerful.

Blair Wind
Just one aspect of what someone could do. The point is, the GL ring is much more practical in everyday use.

Newjak
Yes it is. Not really. An infinite any human emotion or ideal is absurd.

Mindset
Just one aspect of what someone could do. The point is, the GL ring is much more practical in everyday use. Originally posted by Mindset
So we're all agreed that Mjolnir is more powerful.

Mindset
Lock this thread Newjak.

curryman
That's the point though there is that leway he get's as a comic book character you don't have. You have very real limits. Kyle doesn't. He can be as creative as needed. You're stuck.

And honestly most of the people here brag about the different things they could do. I don't think most people here are really creative enough to use the ring half as well as Kyle, and definitely not even close to it.

Most people like to believe they can, you maybe the exception in that you maybe could, but most can't.

Kyle isn't that creative.

Though I didn't bring him up as the epitome of un-creativity, I brought him up to show that you do not need to know how stuff works to create it, and as an example of someone who draws on his hobby to work the ring.

I gave you several examples of not only how the ring educates you, but how you can handle stuff way, way before the battle starts. It's not just creativity either. Here's how you do it.

You write yourself a checklist;

- Physical Damage
- Temperature extremes
- Electricity
- STDs
- Telepathy
- etc

You ask the ring "ring, help me deal with this shit."

You and your ring work out defenses against all of these. Auto-defenses.

Blair Wind
Curry is right. John once set his ring up to auto defend if anyone in the area moved at a fast enough speed (mach 10?).

The ring has also shown the ability to genetically re-write a person. Hal and Kyle have both done it (Hal's was PC though). "Ring, give me the DNA of a Kryptonian and give me a quick sunbath" or subsitute Kryptonian for Martian. Permanent skill set acquired.

Newjak
Kyle isn't that creative.

Though I didn't bring him up as the epitome of un-creativity, I brought him up to show that you do not need to know how stuff works to create it, and as an example of someone who draws on his hobby to work the ring.

I gave you several examples of not only how the ring educates you, but how you can handle stuff way, way before the battle starts. It's not just creativity either. Here's how you do it.

You write yourself a checklist;

- Physical Damage
- Temperature extremes
- Electricity
- STDs
- Telepathy
- etc

You ask the ring "ring, help me deal with this shit."

You and your ring work out defenses against all of these. Auto-defenses. Kyle is a fictional character that can be as creative as needed and therefore has no limits on his creativity or willpower.

You do, pretending you don't ignores your limitations and the limitations of the ring itself.

The ring isn't a deux ex machina. Just because you want something to happen doesn't mean you can make it happen or that you can be creative enough to get it to work.

You could sit down and have any conversation you want with the ring it doesn't matter. You're still limited to your own mind and the ring's capabilities.

Where as with the Hammer most of those resistances and abilities are natural.

LordofBrooklyn

Plus long life, the hammer can do all manner of things like open portals, control the elements, transmutate things, heal people, become invisible, bring people back to life.

The ring can and has done all of the above.

Golgo13
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
The ring can and has done all of the above.

Hal has also used transmutation, telepathy, time control, intangibility, tk etc.

Newjak
No, Kyle has the creativity of what his writers can come up with. Okay then I've given it some thought and I've gotten off on a side tangent with you.

I'm willing to concede people can be as creative as Kyle, but that is not the main point I am trying to make.

I get annoyed and agitated when people come on here and try to pretend they can do as well as a comic book character. Trying to pretend they can is self indulgence.

My reasoning is pretty simple. We are humans we are flawed. Using the Green Lanterns as an example. It's take a lot of different things to make a Green Lantern good. Not just creativity. I believe John once said he makes more powerful constructs because of his architect background because he knows how things work together better.

Hal has a bunch of willpower.

But not just that they also tend to be pretty well rounded in the other areas as well. They almost always have willpower, creativity, knowledge, heart, courage, focus all rolled into one.

Very few real life people in the entire world possess all of those traits together. And even fewer probably possess all of them in comic book levels.

I'll use myself as an example I'm an adaptive learner. I take what I know and can apply it to different situations but I'm terrible at staying focused. I did after all just spend the last half an hour arguing over a point I didn't really care about because I got side tracked easily.

You have character flaws everybody does. Comic book characters tend to have less flaws and have a lot more strengths than real people.

Odds are you have a few weaknesses that would prevent you from being a powerful Green Lantern somewhere somehow. Whether it's lack of creativity, lack of willpower, focus, imagination, adaptability, knowledge. It could be any number of things. Most people would be lucky to get the ring to do anything. Way fewer real life people would be able to get a shot off. About the only person I've met on this site that I think has a chance of being a half decent Green Lantern is Blair and even then I don't think he would be a planet busting Green Lantern.

It's takes a certain kind of person to be that good of a green lantern and you generally only find those types of people in fiction. Samething with Thor's hammer as well.

LordofBrooklyn
I'd use the power ring to create Mjolnir.

JayDaDon
Why don't you try gathering your willpower and read the part where I specifically mention that smile

My point still stands. If creativity was all it took, then a lot of people could be GL's.

curryman
Newjak, read more Green Lantern comics man. They're not even close to perfect. They are, and have been historically, an example of typically underachieving with their abilities. Your arguments do not go against every in-comic description of the green lantern rings, but you keep bringing up creativity. Kyle is the only one who is ever mentioned (and barely shown) to have any kind of creativity.

You keep bringing up willpower, which I agree with. There is no way of telling how much willpower we have, it's not quantifiable and it seems to be completely random when you think about how completely ordinary many of the green lanterns are. I know a lot of people who've suffered far more hardships than all of them (pre-GL of course).

Furthermore it's not just about willpower, but PURE willpower. I might not even be able to accomplish a single thing because my willpower could be cynical, tainted by rage, etc. There's no point in discussing that any further. We have no way of knowing that. It's not what I'm trying to discuss with you.

I'm outlining some pretty damn specific ways of outperforming a lot of the lackluster stuff the green lanterns are doing, and you keep responding that regular human beings can perform on the level of comic-book green lanterns. Really? Because Hal was hailed as a genius when he thought to cover the yellow robot in mud, so they could beat it.

I've told you over three times now how it is possible to have the ring educate you, set up defenses against just about everything and find many ways around having to make split-second calls, and you're just flat out ignoring it.

You're annoyed because people on a comic-book discussion forum think they can outperform people in comics? Jesus man, I don't know what to tell you. You're kind of in a place where that stuff's going to come up. And trying to claim that a bunch of people who have experience with this stuff, can't calmly in the living room of their house, with an imagination fueled power-ring (assuming willpower is there) can't outdo someone who's creating hammers and machine-guns? Buddy, to me that's just lying to yourself.

If you have the willpower and you have the ring, there's nothing you can't create as long as you can imagine it. That is what the green lantern ring is.

Originally posted by JayDaDon
My point still stands
You had no point, no point at all.

We weren't discussing willpower.

No one said creativity was all it took, but we were talking about doing better in that area. Leave the Strawman at the door, please.

Digi
I keep a replica GL ring by my monitor at work. It helps me when I need willpower. My job isn't hard per se (though it's consistently demanding), but everyone goes through swings of apathy in relation to work.

curryman
I thought you worked at the kennel....

Newjak
Newjak, read more Green Lantern comics man. They're not even close to perfect. They are, and have been historically, an example of typically underachieving with their abilities. Your arguments do not go against every in-comic description of the green lantern rings, but you keep bringing up creativity. Kyle is the only one who is ever mentioned (and barely shown) to have any kind of creativity.

You keep bringing up willpower, which I agree with. There is no way of telling how much willpower we have, it's not quantifiable and it seems to be completely random when you think about how completely ordinary many of the green lanterns are. I know a lot of people who've suffered far more hardships than all of them (pre-GL of course).

Furthermore it's not just about willpower, but PURE willpower. I might not even be able to accomplish a single thing because my willpower could be cynical, tainted by rage, etc. There's no point in discussing that any further. We have no way of knowing that. It's not what I'm trying to discuss with you.

I'm outlining some pretty damn specific ways of outperforming a lot of the lackluster stuff the green lanterns are doing, and you keep responding that regular human beings can perform on the level of comic-book green lanterns. Really? Because Hal was hailed as a genius when he thought to cover the yellow robot in mud, so they could beat it.

I've told you over three times now how it is possible to have the ring educate you, set up defenses against just about everything and find many ways around having to make split-second calls, and you're just flat out ignoring it.

You're annoyed because people on a comic-book discussion forum think they can outperform people in comics? Jesus man, I don't know what to tell you. You're kind of in a place where that stuff's going to come up. And trying to claim that a bunch of people who have experience with this stuff, can't calmly in the living room of their house, with an imagination fueled power-ring (assuming willpower is there) can't outdo someone who's creating hammers and machine-guns? Buddy, to me that's just lying to yourself.

If you have the willpower and you have the ring, there's nothing you can't create as long as you can imagine it. That is what the green lantern ring is.

You had no point, no point at all.

We weren't discussing willpower.

No one said creativity was all it took, but we were talking about doing better in that area. Leave the Strawman at the door, please. I brought up creativity as one point. But in the grand scheme of things GLs are typically shown to have diverse abilities not only based on their willpower or creativity but on a plethora of things.

And I don't think there are a lot of people with that many skill sets and strength to be a good GL.

And if I'm honest with you I don't think you or many people would have the willpower to actually use a green lantern ring plus the wide range of different talents and skills to be a good one. Despite your living room desire to be.

curryman
I brought up creativity as one point. But in the grand scheme of things GLs are typically shown to have diverse abilities not only based on their willpower or creativity but on a plethora of things.

And I don't think there are a lot of people with that many skill sets and strength to be a good GL.

And if I'm honest with you I don't think you or many people would have the willpower to actually use a green lantern ring plus the wide range of different talents and skills to be a good one. Despite your living room desire to be.

Another one of my posts ignored.

It's very hard to discuss anything off the assumption that we have the willpower to use it, if you keep repeating "I don't think you have the willpower to use it".

^ Fourth time I bring that up.

You're not worthy of using Mjolnir, but obviously, for the purpose of this thread, we all are. The OP later mentioned transmutation, resurrection, time-travel, etc. Do you still think he intended for us to not be able to replicate Hal's feats? :/

zeel

thumb up

quanchi112
Mjolnir; hands down.

Newjak
Another one of my posts ignored.

It's very hard to discuss anything off the assumption that we have the willpower to use it, if you keep repeating "I don't think you have the willpower to use it".

^ Fourth time I bring that up.

You're not worthy of using Mjolnir, but obviously, for the purpose of this thread, we all are. The OP later mentioned transmutation, resurrection, time-travel, etc. Do you still think he intended for us to not be able to replicate Hal's feats? :/ I know I'm not worthy of wielding Mjolnir, just like I'm pretty sure none of us can actually use a GL ring except for a few.

But even under the assumption we can use both of them.

Being able to use a GL ring doesn't mean you'll be good with it. It is a very character specific item based on what the wielder's strengths are. And odds are none of us are going to be any good at it. With Mjolnir if you pick it up you get Thor's physical stats and a good deal of magical power that isn't dependent upon your mental strengths or willpower.

It we're talking about overall power just from a comic book standard they are basically even with the hammer probably getting the raw power output edge and the GL ring getting the versatility edge.

But if we are talking about real world people using them it's enitrely different. Odds are would not be a good Green Lantern even if you were able to use the ring at all.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>