DC Animated Movie Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
Everybody wants to say that Marvel is killing DC with the live-action flicks. Maybe. Maybe not. DC has BEEN destroying them when it comes to animation movies however. I think it's time we had a spot to discuss former movies by them and we can also use this thread for upcoming movies.

They just announced at Comic-Con that the following are due to release next year; Justice League: War, Son of Batman, and Assault on Arkham.

http://beat-box.com/?url=http://www.complexmag.ca/pop-culture/2013/07/san-diego-comic-con/dc-comics-animation

If you haven't seen these already, do so immediately!
-Under The Red Hood
-The Dark Knight Returns
-Public Enemies

Better than most live-action films of the genre. Just copped the Flashpoint Paradox flick which released yesterday. Pretty dope stuff. Which films did you people like? Favorite? Worst? Which films would you like to see made? Discuss.

jaden101
I've not seen any of the DC animated movies and the only animated marvel things I've seen is Planet Hulk and Ultimate Avengers. So from a completely uneducated opinion I'd like to see something on the standard of the DC universe online clip with the narration by Lex Luthor and the massive battle going on. I'd happily pay money for something with that animation style and level of action. It looked immense.

Darth Martin
If epic action is what your looking for I'd try Public Enemies. The entire movie is like one big action sequence.

Both Ultimate Avengers flicks are well done. Good stuff. Planet Hulk was meh. Decent. Nothing special. The best stuff DC has to offer makes them all look like Saturday morning cartoons though.

Check Netflix out. I know for a fact that UTRH, Apocalypse, Doom, and a few Superman titles are available for stream.

BruceSkywalker
i love DC's animated movies..

have all batman animated films..

Justice League: War sounds good as does Son of Batman

jinXed by JaNx
Dark knight series and Superman Vs the Elite are better than all of Marvels movies

I agree though, Marvels animated attempts have been bland and even awful. I generally, thoroughly enjoy most of DCs animated outings. Although, can't say i was to keen on Flashpoint.

Darth Martin
Really? I didn't really mess with Superman vs. The Elite like that. Still have to see Doomsday and Unbound. The Dark Knight Returns was amazing.

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Really? I didn't really mess with Superman vs. The Elite like that. Still have to see Doomsday and Unbound. The Dark Knight Returns was amazing.

Doomsday was alright but Unbound was a letdown IMO. Superman Elite was cool.

Will try to watch Flashpoint when I get the chance but in comparison to DC animation I'm really disappointed in Marvel. They haven't had anything noteworthy since Ultimate Avengers.

NotAllThatEvil
I saw under tje red hood and I thought it was good.

juggerman
My opinion:

Great
TDKR 1&2
Wonder Woman
UTRH
Batman Year 1
Flashpoint
GL First Flight
Public Enemies
Apocalypse

Good
Crisis on 2 Earths
All Star Superman
JL Doom
Superman vs Elite
Unbound

Meh
Doomsday
New Frontier
Gotham Knight
Emerald Knights

Impediment
Public Enemies, Unbound, TDKR, UTRH, and Apocalypse were fantastic.

juggerman
Forgot about Unbound. I'd put it under the "Good" category

Impediment
Fixed your post.

juggerman
Thank you

Nephthys
Justice League: New Frontier is fantastic.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Nephthys
Justice League: New Frontier is fantastic.

thumb up

juggerman
Guess I'm in the minority on that one

Darth Martin
I agree. New Frontier was good stuff.

Esau Cairn
As much as I enjoyed TDK 1 & 2, my main problem was the lack of emotion with the voice-overs. You could tell they were reading from a script but not quite grasping the situation their characters were in.

Zack Fair
Everybody wants to say that Marvel is killing DC with the live-action flicks. Maybe. Maybe not. DC has BEEN destroying them when it comes to animation movies however. I think it's time we had a spot to discuss former movies by them and we can also use this thread for upcoming movies.

They just announced at Comic-Con that the following are due to release next year; Justice League: War, Son of Batman, and Assault on Arkham.

http://beat-box.com/?url=http://www.complexmag.ca/pop-culture/2013/07/san-diego-comic-con/dc-comics-animation

If you haven't seen these already, do so immediately!
-Under The Red Hood
-The Dark Knight Returns
-Public Enemies

Better than most live-action films of the genre. Just copped the Flashpoint Paradox flick which released yesterday. Pretty dope stuff. Which films did you people like? Favorite? Worst? Which films would you like to see made? Discuss. Replace public enemies with Superman vs the Elite and add Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox and KABOOOOOOOOOOM

BlackZero30x
Flashpoint was great! I loved how little they changed! I had always wondered when they would do a Flash animated movie and now that its here im happy with it!

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Replace public enemies with Superman vs the Elite and add Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox and KABOOOOOOOOOOM Public Enemies>>>>>

-Pr-
I felt like Superman vs The Elite was better than Public Enemies, myself.

My recommendations are Under the Red Hood, JL Doom, and Wonder Woman.

DARTH POWER
I personally enjoyed TDKR the most. Man Frank Miller was violent. And I probably didn't enjoy Public Enemies as much as most people.

But there's really so many fantastic DC animated movies.

Darth Martin
What's so good about Superman vs. The Elite?

Impediment
JL Doom was good, but I liked Mark Waid's Tower of Babel much better.

Zack Fair
What's so good about Superman vs. The Elite? The conflict surrounding the idea why we need a Superman in the modern world instead of anti-heroes that murder their enemies.

The movie resolved it very well and watching Superman cut loose in the end was awesome and downright scary.

The only flaw I find in the movie is the artistic style.

---

The fact people have so many different movies in their top 3 and we can mostly agree with them without entering fanboy madness speaks volumes of DC Animated Universe's quality.

juggerman
Originally posted by -Pr-
I felt like Superman vs The Elite was better than Public Enemies, myself.

My recommendations are Under the Red Hood, JL Doom, and Wonder Woman.

Only other person i heard recommend Wonder Woman thumb up

Zack Fair
Wonder Woman was good I agree.

jinXed by JaNx
What's so good about Superman vs. The Elite?

Zack made the best points. Personally, i think it is the best adaptation of, Superman there is. I think it focused on the most important aspects of Superman, his morals. Many fans argue what Supermans biggest weakness is but i will always maintain that it is his moral ideology. This is also why i think it makes him the most relatable Super hero there is or at least was. There used to be a fairly distinctive line of right and wrong in the western world. I don't mean to suggest that the world has changed to the point where right and wrong have become skewered but the "grey" areas of morality have certainly broadened since Supermans glory days. The things Superman stood for years ago arent all entirely relevant or acceptable today. However, his core standards still stay intact.

I found a lot of political and satirical undertones in this movie that quite frankly surprised me. The movie asked a great deal of philosophical questions that the comics have focused on for years. It answered the question why Supermans morals are more important today than ever before.

The only fault i can find is what Zack also pointed out. The animated was a bit stock and considering how mature the subject and content of the film is, it does feel a unbalanced with the stock animation. The animation, however, does get better as the film goes on.

Darth Martin
Fair enough. I may have to revisit it sometime in the future. What was your opinion of Under the Red Hood? That was the very best they've had to offer thus far IMO.

I thought Wonder Woman was dope. Haven't seen either of the Green Lantern films nor Gotham Knight so won't comment on those.

Zack Fair
Under the Red Hood is one of the best, if not the best. Its just that DC has come up with so much solid stuff since then that its kind of hard lol.

Darth Martin
The only thing close to it IMO is TDKR. The fact that film is 2.5 hours long speaks volumes for UTRH.

wakkawakkawakka
I just saw Flashpoint and it was pretty kickass. Was definitely better than Unbound IMO.

Funny thing is I've still never seen the Wonder Woman film. Will check up on that.

Zack Fair
A hell of a lot better than Unbound.

Unbound was just all right.

marwash22
I pretty much like them all, and own them all.

The ones i didn't care for...

Gotham Knight: There were only 2 good ones, the rest were crap.
New Frontier: ot a fan of that golden age period.
Unbound: not a fan of Brainiac, at all.

top 3 (in order)...

Red Hood
Apocalypse
Flashpoint Paradox

Zack Fair
Apocalypse was very cool.

It doesn't make my top 3 because it didn't have much depth/character to it like Red Hood and Superman vs the elite. Or maybe it focused a little too much in Kara, but whatever it was her origin and all that shit.

Having said that the art style, animation and all of the fights are ****ing awesome.

WW and Barda vs the furries gave me a boner.

marwash22
WW and Barda vs the furries gave me a boner. thumb up

yup. that's probably the best choreography outside of the Laira short in "Emerald Knights".

wakkawakkawakka
Surprised nobody has popped a nostalgia boner and mentioned "Mask of the Phantasm" as their number 1.

Superman vs Elite, Apocalypse, Under the Red Hood, First Flight, and just recently Flashpoint are in my top 5. This might change when I watch Wonder Woman.

Zack Fair
I was under the impression we were discussing the current animated universe that started with Superman/Doomsday.

Mark of the Phantasm is fkn awesome.

Badabing
Originally posted by juggerman
My opinion:

Great
TDKR 1&2
Wonder Woman
UTRH
Batman Year 1
Flashpoint
GL First Flight
Public Enemies
Apocalypse

Good
Crisis on 2 Earths
All Star Superman
JL Doom
Superman vs Elite
Unbound

Meh
Doomsday
New Frontier
Gotham Knight
Emerald Knights I pretty much agree. Though I liked New Frontier and would rate it as good.

Darth Martin
How does everyone feel about New Frontier?

Flyattractor
With my fingers.

Zack Fair
Didn't like New Frontier.

Badabing
Didn't like New Frontier. You're not welcome in the CBvF anymore. sneer

You are now rated at Brucey's tier. biscuits

Impediment
Power Girl from Public Enemies.

Rule 34.

Mother of God.

Zack Fair
http://jessicafick.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/spiderman-desk.png

-Pr-
Apocalypse was a thinly-veiled Supergirl movie. ****ing ruined it at the end.

BruceSkywalker
How does everyone feel about New Frontier?

felt it could've been better

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.