Employee Morale

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
Personnel Management can be tricky. It may seem weird but an effective manager will pay attention to psychology and corporate research.

Basically, I had several scenarios and I wanted to discuss them.

1. If your company does a very large, annual company picnic, would you rather have that money spent as a bonus or do you like that money?

2. Pretend you work on a 5 man team and one of your colleagues just quit or got promoted. If given the option, would you prefer to take on more work and your former coworker's pay (if you were all paid roughly the same, it would be like a 25% pay raise) or would you prefer they backfill the position? (Pretend the workload is doable without forcing you to have to work overtime but you would obviously be working more throughout the day: 5% more, to be exact). If the additional work is not worth it, explain (and use job examples). Do you think the additional pay would offset the morale dampening effect of more work?

3. Would you rather get a compliment from your boss, every now and again, or would you rather nothing ever be said (except during annual reviews) and get a fat raise? On this one, the research says the former is preferred by most people. I strongly disagree but maybe I'm just a greedy bassturd.

Mindship
Originally posted by dadudemon
It may seem weird but an effective manager will pay attention to psychology and corporate research. Not weird at all: that's why they're effective. It's the managers who still harbor a 1950s, whip-'em-til-they-drop / people-are-like-machines mentality that's medieval, if not outright barbaric **coughbloombergcough**

1. If your company does a very large, annual company picnic, would you rather have that money spent as a bonus or do you like that money?Depends. Company festivities are important because you get to socially bond with your coworkers, who very often on the job can be more valuable than a few extra $$$. Of course, it also depends on your own financial situation. I ain't hurtin', so I'd prefer the picnic / holiday party / etc.

2. Pretend you work on a 5 man team and one of your colleagues just quit or got promoted. If given the option, would you prefer to take on more work and your former coworker's pay (if you were all paid roughly the same, it would be like a 25% pay raise) or would you prefer they backfill the position? (Pretend the workload is doable without forcing you to have to work overtime but you would obviously be working more throughout the day: 5% more, to be exact). If the additional work is not worth it, explain (and use job examples). Do you think the additional pay would offset the morale dampening effect of more work? This is what happened to NYC school psychologists in 2003, once Mayor Doomsberg took control of the school system. Psychologists used to work with an "Educational Evaluator" til Bloomberg decided the Psychologist should do everything (it's gotten worse since; Psychs have been loaded up with all sorts of non-psych duties). This effectively doubled the workload cuz now I was doing psych And ed testing. Did we get paid more? Hell no. When we complained about the extra work, the Powers That Be responded that we should consider ourselves lucky we still had jobs.

For myself, it wasn't a bad deal at first. My day was busier, it went faster, I felt more on top of things...and I also did not bust my butt trying to complete twice as much work in the same amount of hours. I simply made it clear to my superiors (with numbers) that my job was becoming untenable. Fortunately, my supervisors were quite understanding, and given that the whole system was falling apart under Bloomberg, no one stood out. The comparison I used to make was, the school system is the Titanic, and the personnel are the band members still playing while the ship sinks.

3. Would you rather get a compliment from your boss, every now and again, or would you rather nothing ever be said (except during annual reviews) and get a fat raise? On this one, the research says the former is preferred by most people. I strongly disagree but maybe I'm just a greedy bassturd. Compliments now and then are nice, but if I was hurting financially, I'd want the extra $$$. Compliments can also be manipulative so a boss can get away with not paying more (or so s/he thinks). Extra $$$ is unambiguous.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
Not weird at all: that's why they're effective. It's the managers who still harbor a 1950s, whip-'em-til-they-drop / people-are-like-machines mentality that's medieval, if not outright barbaric **coughbloombergcough**

Some hold (from my experience) that a "boss" has no business conducting or researching the relevant psychology, while on the job or for the job. They hold that that is up to the business unit, HR, and part of the Strategic Direction. The boss should execute those directives and nothing else. If they wish to proceed a different way, they submit their suggestion up the proper channels. If rejected, suck it. If accepted, bam, change in the way you want.

Most organizations are happy that their managers are interested in being as effective as possible. Some are not. Some want you to stick to the roles and responsibilities assigned to the position and deviation is not an option: including researching and implementing more effective ways of personnel management.

I fall somewhere in between. You should definitely focus on your job roles and responsibilities and limit your extracurricular job-related research. However, strictly sticking with you assigned duties and processes for those duties is not conducive to continual improvement.

At one point, at a previous job, I suggested a massive number of ways to improve morale and go about personnel management. I got the, "who the hell do you think you are?" talk from my boss' boss. I was told to shutup and color, basically.

Depends. Company festivities are important because you get to socially bond with your coworkers, who very often on the job can be more valuable than a few extra $$$. Of course, it also depends on your own financial situation. I ain't hurtin', so I'd prefer the picnic / holiday party / etc.

I think the employees should get a say and go with what the majority wants to do. If they want an annual picnic, give it to them. If they want a $50-$100 bonus instead of a picnic, give it to them.

This is what happened to NYC school psychologists in 2003, once Mayor Doomsberg took control of the school system. Psychologists used to work with an "Educational Evaluator" til Bloomberg decided the Psychologist should do everything (it's gotten worse since; Psychs have been loaded up with all sorts of non-psych duties). This effectively doubled the workload cuz now I was doing psych And ed testing. Did we get paid more? Hell no. When we complained about the extra work, the Powers That Be responded that we should consider ourselves lucky we still had jobs.

For myself, it wasn't a bad deal at first. My day was busier, it went faster, I felt more on top of things...and I also did not bust my butt trying to complete twice as much work in the same amount of hours. I simply made it clear to my superiors (with numbers) that my job was becoming untenable. Fortunately, my supervisors were quite understanding, and given that the whole system was falling apart under Bloomberg, no one stood out. The comparison I used to make was, the school system is the Titanic, and the personnel are the band members still playing while the ship sinks.

Very interesting. Your situation is not like the question, though. If they gave you a 25% pay increase for taking on more work, would your opinion of the situation change?

Compliments now and then are nice, but if I was hurting financially, I'd want the extra $$$. Compliments can also be manipulative so a boss can get away with not paying more (or so s/he thinks). Extra $$$ is unambiguous.

I saw that: the compliment and employee recognition stuff rather than giving your people raises.

At an old job, instead of giving people raises, they had an employee recognition program where they got a worthless piece of paper and a pizza-party for their team.

Great: you spent a massive $50 on pizza and $.0001 on a piece of paper and ink.

I thought it was very lame and cheap. They should have just given a 2% raise in addition to the annual raise (and they didn't give out annual raises, either).

But, some say that compliments are what they live for as long as their pay can pay the bills. I just don't see that. Money speaks more than words.

If you think I'm a great employee, prove it with a paycheck.

Symmetric Chaos
I love the people I work with but, man, if the department suddenly came up with enough money to hold an annual picnic I know we'd all want to make a little more money.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I love the people I work with but, man, if the department suddenly came up with enough money to hold an annual picnic I know we'd all want to make a little more money.
What about the other stuff. Would you be willing to take on more work if one of your coworkers left your team...if and only if you got that former coworker's pay evenly distributed across the team?

That question is really easy to answer for very large teams: hell no.

But for teams smaller than 20, that's a significant pay raise. For teams smaller than 3, that's a ton of more work and a massive pay raise.

Mindship
Very interesting. Your situation is not like the question, though. If they gave you a 25% pay increase for taking on more work, would your opinion of the situation change?Meps. I knew if I typed too much I'd miss something (especially once I get on a Bloomberg rant).

Yes: a 25% increase in pay definitely would have soothed a lot of bad feelings in my situation, at least in the beginning.

Symmetric Chaos
What about the other stuff. Would you be willing to take on more work if one of your coworkers left your team...if and only if you got that former coworker's pay evenly distributed across the team?

If someone else working the phone left and I had to take on all of their work I wouldn't do it without a crazy pay raise. Even with two or three people the downtime between calls isn't always as long as it takes to complete an issue. Working with people on the phone is ridiculously stressful. I'd work hardware, though, (or take more walk-ins but I already get all of them).

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I'd work hardware, though, (or take more walk-ins but I already get all of them).

That's usually the most comfortable route because you don't have to work with people very much. As long as you aren't given a crap ton of projects with unreasable deadlines, it can be quite satisfying.

Symmetric Chaos
That's usually the most comfortable route because you don't have to work with people very much. As long as you aren't given a crap ton of projects with unreasable deadlines, it can be quite satisfying.

It's not a matter of working with people, it's a matter of working with people on the phone as they try to describe problems they barely understand within the limited time available.

Astner
It depends. If I like some of the workers and would like to know the rest, then sure. If not, I'd take the bonus.
Yes. As long as I don't have to work more days or hours.
The four to five months I've worked I've gotten more false complements than I can count from my supervisors. The raise actually means something, and less hours that would be awesome.

NemeBro
Why can't your boss compliment you while also giving a fat raise?

the ninjak
Personnel Management can be tricky. It may seem weird but an effective manager will pay attention to psychology and corporate research.

Basically, I had several scenarios and I wanted to discuss them.

1. If your company does a very large, annual company picnic, would you rather have that money spent as a bonus or do you like that money?

2. Pretend you work on a 5 man team and one of your colleagues just quit or got promoted. If given the option, would you prefer to take on more work and your former coworker's pay (if you were all paid roughly the same, it would be like a 25% pay raise) or would you prefer they backfill the position? (Pretend the workload is doable without forcing you to have to work overtime but you would obviously be working more throughout the day: 5% more, to be exact). If the additional work is not worth it, explain (and use job examples). Do you think the additional pay would offset the morale dampening effect of more work?

3. Would you rather get a compliment from your boss, every now and again, or would you rather nothing ever be said (except during annual reviews) and get a fat raise? On this one, the research says the former is preferred by most people. I strongly disagree but maybe I'm just a greedy bassturd.

Corporate............... Whore!

Oliver North
are you asking about the psychology behind what would actually make people enjoy their job, or about what people would tell you would make them enjoy their job?

Like many things in psychology, I can imagine these things being incredibly different.

Oliver North
Originally posted by Astner
The four to five months I've worked I've gotten more false complements than I can count from my supervisors.

man, all the nice advisors are in physics eh?

unless "I can see your potential but..." counts as a compliment

dadudemon
Originally posted by NemeBro

That's ideal but that's not how it is "spun" in the real world. A lot of times, they (management) will give empty compliments in lieu of a decent raise because they just cannot fecking afford to give you a decent raise.

Originally posted by Oliver North
are you asking about the psychology behind what would actually make people enjoy their job, or about what people would tell you would make them enjoy their job?

Mos def the former...however, I have to settle on the latter since this is a forum.

Originally posted by Oliver North
Like many things in psychology, I can imagine these things being incredibly different.

Indeed. I'm decently familiar with the research as I've spent the last 2 ****ing years studying it (it is dry...very very dry...and feels like a subjective pile of shit, half of the time). What research shows and what happens in the real world are two-different things, at times. They do not necessarily have to be and I sometimes want to refute what research shows (such as receiving words of affirmation for the work you do vs. a fat raise).

siriuswriter
Originally posted by NemeBro

I think you're looking for a job with the Mob. Just remember that when you mess up, the consequences will be equal and opposite to your "promotion."

Either this, or you're in the 60's and completely non-expendable. Methinks a situation like Mad Men and Don Draper.

My dad is a manager at Dell, he's a good guy, very understanding and he always listens to his colleagues and is sympathetic to their needs. He gets frustrated a lot, he doesn't particularly like his job Somehow, he doesn't bring Other People's Problems home with him. I think that people working under him may be somewhat happier... although I'm not exactly impartial.

dadudemon
Originally posted by siriuswriter
My dad is a manager at Dell, he's a good guy, very understanding and he always listens to his colleagues and is sympathetic to their needs. He gets frustrated a lot, he doesn't particularly like his job Somehow, he doesn't bring Other People's Problems home with him. I think that people working under him may be somewhat happier... although I'm not exactly impartial.

That's cool.

Sheldon
Why would you hire anyone that does not manage themselves well?

You can only manage expectations and give those the tools and know how and to work on quality up front, as far as conformance to requirements. Read the One Minute Manager. Then work on the speed of getting things done faster. Micro managing is B.S. and very counter productive. Seen in many places and it's complete B.S. power trip is all it is.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sheldon
Why would you hire anyone that does not manage themselves well?

And how do you determine that from a resume, 2-3 references the candidate provides, and an interview or two?

Hint: after interviewing 1000+ people, I can tell you it is nearly impossible to truly determine if a person will be a great employee. It is a damn game played between candidates and discerning perspective employers.

You can only manage expectations and give those the tools and know how and to work on quality up front, as far as conformance to requirements.

If that's all you're doing, you're a very shitty manager.

Read the One Minute Manager.

Based on your advice, I will not waste my time on that.

Then work on the speed of getting things done faster.

Because faster is always better, right? RIIGHT?

Micro managing is B.S. and very counter productive.

What's really B.S. is making blanket statements about all possible management practices regarding all employment situations. In some management positions, a manager's function is explicitly to micromanage: for example, call centers.

Seen in many places and it's complete B.S. power trip is all it is.

Disgruntled? big grin

Impediment

I don't quite understand the question. Will you rephrase, please?

Personally, if it means a pay raise for me, then I would absolutely do extra work for more money. The meat of my pay check is made form overtime and per diem, not to mention that my work isn't TOO strenuous to tackle extra. I'd gladly x-ray more welds and do other NDT for a 25% raise!

We have safety meeting roughly every 60 days and I have an excellent relationship with my three bosses (branch manager, radiation safety officer, and dispatch manager) all of whom I get along with splendidly.

However, since I'm a whore and want money, I would rather them ignore me and just give me an annual raise every year.

I'm not so shallow and needy that I need a compliment from my managers to boost my morale; I know what the f*ck I'm capable of.

Symmetric Chaos
Indeed. I'm decently familiar with the research as I've spent the last 2 ****ing years studying it (it is dry...very very dry...and feels like a subjective pile of shit, half of the time). What research shows and what happens in the real world are two-different things, at times. They do not necessarily have to be and I sometimes want to refute what research shows (such as receiving words of affirmation for the work you do vs. a fat raise).

Off hand that sounds like a matter of diminishing returns.

Going from treating people like shit to a being decent is a big jump. From decent to nice is smaller. From nice to really nice isn't worth much at all, especially when you're expected to not enjoy working.

ArtificialGlory
I heard the Chinese know quite something about worker morale.

Mindship
Indeed. I'm decently familiar with the research as I've spent the last 2 ****ing years studying it (it is dry...very very dry...and feels like a subjective pile of shit, half of the time). What research shows and what happens in the real world are two-different things, at times. They do not necessarily have to be and I sometimes want to refute what research shows (such as receiving words of affirmation for the work you do vs. a fat raise). How was this research done? Forced choice format? "Which would you rather have: blah-blah-blah or yada-yada-yada?" It is not uncommon, in such research formats, for people to consciously/unconsciously pick the socially "more appealing" option, whether it's true or not. Eg, while most people would really like the extra $$$, many might respond they'd prefer the praise so they seem somehow "more honorable" or "less greedy."

dadudemon
How was this research done? Forced choice format? "Which would you rather have: blah-blah-blah or yada-yada-yada?" It is not uncommon, in such research formats, for people to consciously/unconsciously pick the socially "more appealing" option, whether it's true or not. Eg, while most people would really like the extra $$$, many might respond they'd prefer the praise so they seem somehow "more honorable" or "less greedy."

No idea how it was actually conducted because it shows up in several of the books, with an in-text reference to the research with a footnote or end note that cites the actual study/studies. I am the type to not follow-up on such things. I cannot be bothered. mad

But looking up the methods would be a good idea...actually.

Originally posted by Impediment
I don't quite understand the question. Will you rephrase, please?

Would you rather them give you a bonus, on a check, by splitting up the cost of the company picnic across all the employees or would you rather them spend the money?

For instance, my father's former company threw an annual picnic. It costed the organization $2,000,000 a year to rent a park, buy the food, and supply the tickets to all the employees. There was a total of 8000 employees. If they were to bonus their employees for the cost of the picnic, per employee, instead of spending it on a picnic, it would directly cost the organization $250 per person, assuming they had exactly 8000 employees. That's a bonus.

That does not sound like much but it would save the company quite a bit in indirect costs (the picnics have many man hours spent in planning and coordination which makes the actual costs significantly higher than a direct $2,000,000).

This company tried to reduce the costs of this annual picnic by polling the employees and getting a firm headcount. This did not always work out either because sometimes employees have things come up and cannot make the picnic: they forgot, had an emergency, wanted the company to pay for it but knew they were not going (there are more of these types than you would think), or the weather was not favorable to them.

So, yeah, I would prefer the bonus. $250 is actually more value than the cost of the company picnic. At the amusement park that organization rented, it was $20, per person, per ticket. A family of four would pay $80. One meal, per person, costs around $10 per person. So that's $120, total value, for an employee to go to the picnic. Not to mention the money that the person would spend above and beyond (like souvenirs and the like). So, the value for the employee is much much greater if they just take the bonus. They also save on gas and having to walk several miles in the hot summer sun while their children slowly descend into grumpy maelstroms. $250 to save all that money and avoid all that hassle. Sounds like a bargain.

Personally, if it means a pay raise for me, then I would absolutely do extra work for more money. The meat of my pay check is made form overtime and per diem, not to mention that my work isn't TOO strenuous to tackle extra. I'd gladly x-ray more welds and do other NDT for a 25% raise!

Yeah, me too. Most definitely. For me, it is an easy decision. But some people do not handle stress very well and it spills over into their personal life quite readily. I would not advise those types take a deal like that.

We have safety meeting roughly every 60 days and I have an excellent relationship with my three bosses (branch manager, radiation safety officer, and dispatch manager) all of whom I get along with splendidly.

However, since I'm a whore and want money, I would rather them ignore me and just give me an annual raise every year.

I'm not so shallow and needy that I need a compliment from my managers to boost my morale; I know what the f*ck I'm capable of.

Again, we agree. My morale is boosted more by an annual raise that directly correlates to my performance rather than empty words. I already know if I am doing a good job or a bad job. I am much more critical of my work than most others are. So I do not need a compliment to "get me through the day" like others. Some people need that, though. They crave positive reinforcement. If they do not get it, their morale drops quite steadily.

Sheldon
I worked for a company that wanted to have a picnic for employees and family, it never took place due to lack of feedback. In most workplaces unless a high knowledge is required, its based on who you know and if you are liked at the interview. And then you will get all the support you need.

Sheldon
Do both, bring out the circus tents for a picnic and hand out a 2k check. Got that one year. Stay out of the sun though can get a real bad sunburn.

focus4chumps

company picnics are stupid. nothing says "thanks for the hard work" like a fat check. not ****ing volleyball

ive never heard of a scenario where someone leaves and their slack is picked up for good by one other employee, on top of their original workload. probably means said employee didnt have much at all to do. not really sure how to answer this but seems like a setup for work burnout for whomever accepts the extra workload.

both is preferable but a raise is always better. money is where its at. most people work to make money and work hard so that they will end up making more money. a pat on the ass and an "attaboy" is no substitute, though any smart boss will compliment as well as increase pay as a reward.

dadudemon
Originally posted by focus4chumps
company picnics are stupid. nothing says "thanks for the hard work" like a fat check. not ****ing volleyball

I strongly agree.

Edit - A new way/method is to encourage the employees to put together their own recreational activities outside of work. This removes the "you must be professional" aspect of the adventure while still allowing your employees to have fun outside of work. I am not sure on the legalities but I think that means the company cannot pay anything at all towards this endeavor so everyone has to pay out of pocket to avoid any type of "business liability".

ive never heard of a scenario where someone leaves and their slack is picked up for good by one other employee, on top of their original workload. probably means said employee didnt have much at all to do. not really sure how to answer this but seems like a setup for work burnout for whomever accepts the extra workload.

My last 4 jobs were like that: a person is fired or quits and the company does not rehire. They just pocket the savings and make the people work more. It's sad, really. They company could reduce attrition if they gave most of that saved money to the rest of the directly impacted team (and still save money because they don't have to pay benefits and the like for the now missing position).

In the office I am in, right now, all but one of my office neighbors (I have 5) left their previous job because of the exact situation that the scenario is supposed to counter (someone quit, position was not filled, everyone was expected to pick up the missing person's slack, no pay raise, company pocketed the money, so eventually everyone from the team left).

both is preferable but a raise is always better. money is where its at. most people work to make money and work hard so that they will end up making more money. a pat on the ass and an "attaboy" is no substitute, though any smart boss will compliment as well as increase pay as a reward.

Everything in this statement is spot-on. A good manager does both and rewards opening.

focus4chumps

My last 4 jobs were like that: a person is fired or quits and the company does not rehire. They just pocket the savings and make the people work more.

oh yes that happens all the time. but thats not what you said. i was referring to your notion of one full time position being phased/merged with another person's who already has a full-time workload, which would be quite cruel and unusual regardless of salary.

as for the situation i think some companies want to see how much of the workload can be absorbed by their coworkers (determining the level of experience/salary they need to request from HR) while others just like to drag it out to save money by not rehiring until there is a permanent towering backlog. ive seen it before and its a stupid practice to allow it to reach that point.

In the office I am in, right now, all but one of my office neighbors (I have 5) left their previous job because of the exact situation that the scenario is supposed to counter (someone quit, position was not filled, everyone was expected to pick up the missing person's slack, no pay raise, company pocketed the money, so eventually everyone from the team left).

yup been there done that. its a blessing since its basically management confessing their greed and stupidity, prompting anyone wise to update their resume and gather their personal references for a new job hunt.

dadudemon
oh yes that happens all the time. but thats not what you said. i was referring to your notion of one full time position being phased/merged with another person's who already has a full-time workload, which would be quite cruel and unusual regardless of salary.

My idea was for an organization to pass along most of those savings to the employees instead of just pocketing all of it since they are not going to back fill the position. And the scenario assumes you would not have to stay after work to pick up your former coworker's workload. Sure, more work and you'd have to work harder. Here's my reasoning for designing the scenario like that; if it causes you to have to work longer hours, then it is not worth it, for the most part.

The only difference between that and the real world is the company gives the employees some of that money. I think that's a far sweeter deal than my real world experience.

as for the situation i think some companies want to see how much of the workload can be absorbed by their coworkers (determining the level of experience/salary they need to request from HR) while others just like to drag it out to save money by not rehiring until there is a permanent towering backlog. ive seen it before and its a stupid practice to allow it to reach that point.

I keep saying this: you should definitely get into management. You have knack and you know your stuff. Stop being afraid and actually do some good. uhuh

yup been there done that. its a blessing since its basically management confessing their greed and stupidity, prompting anyone wise to update their resume and gather their personal references for a new job hunt.

My father recently got laid off. He was the director of IT for a university. They laid him off because he made too much money when they did some reorganization. What happened? Most of his IT Team left within the next two weeks. Why? Becaue he was a good boss and they could not stand how crappy the organization became.

So why do organizations do this crap? It is obviously a failed method of personnel management. It obviously cost them quite a bit of money, in the long run, than it did save them money. It makes no sense. It also obviously drove morale so low that hardly anyone wanted to work there, anymore.

The answer to those questions are exactly what you stated: greed and stupidity.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.