Age disparity and love

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
Would it be okay if a man or woman that is 18 years old had a relationship or got married to a a man or woman twice their age if the elder woman or man was neither their teacher, friend of the younger persons family, or their parents? Why would this work, and why wouldn't it? Is love enough? Would this relationship be improper? What is the age of consent? My first thoughts were that it would be wrong, because the elder may be taking advantage of a developing mind. But I would like some insight from others before passing a hard judgment on this subject.

Comments.

Bardock42
It would be okay imo, it might work probably not much worse or better than other relationships, age of consent depends on jurisdiction you are in.

Tzeentch._
Of course Bardock says it's okay.

My Dad was 30 and had three kids and a wife already when he met my Mom, who was 19. Not double the age, but a similar disparity, at least on circumstances.

They got divorced 6 years later. no expression

I guess it depends entirely on the two people involved.

Robtard
Originally posted by Stoic
Would it be okay if a man or woman that is 18 years old had a relationship or got married to a a man or woman twice their age if the elder woman or man was neither their teacher, friend of the younger persons family, or their parents? Why would this work, and why wouldn't it? Is love enough? Would this relationship be improper? What is the age of consent? My first thoughts were that it would be wrong, because the elder may be taking advantage of a developing mind. But I would like some insight from others before passing a hard judgment on this subject.

Comments.

Answer: No

Lord Lucien

Comments. No. None of that is wrong.

Major_Lexington
If something makes someone happy then who are we to interrupt/care. Laws in various US states & countries around the word may beg to differ though.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Major_Lexington
If something makes someone happy then who are we to interrupt/care. http://www.blog-note.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pedobear_seal_of_approval.jpg

Symmetric Chaos
If something makes someone happy then who are we to interrupt/care. Laws in various US states & countries around the word may beg to differ though.

Murder is a great stress reliever or it would be if it were for those fascists!

Major_Lexington
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
http://www.blog-note.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pedobear_seal_of_approval.jpg

http://cdn.memegenerator.co/instances/600x/36373798.jpg

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Murder is a great stress reliever or it would be if it were for those fascists!

Your tellin me man! Laws getting in the way?

jaden101
I'm 34 and get abuse all the time for seeing a 19 year old. Just last weekend I got called a paedo and spat on while we were having a meal. The night to celebrate our 10th anniversary was totally ruined.

Hoho. terrible jokes are the best. I crack myself up sometimes.

Lord Lucien
The best women are like the best scotch. Twelve years old and full of coke.

jaden101
I like my women like I like my coffee. Ground up and kept in the freezer.

Major_Lexington
Coffee & Scotch, good angles!!

I like my women like I take a dump....... dark satisfying and 3-4 times a day.

rudester
The fact is some people do care and can make it their problem esp if u show affection in public tats why its best to be discreet. Remembering its no ones business but ur own and u have a right to mold ur life how u choose fit. I myself being gay and out have touched on the subject and researched to see if i was normal. I am. In history sex and sexuality has been more open in the past centries then it has now in present times and u ask urself why is tat? Why has tollerance for sex change? Why is sexuality less appropriate and display of affection so fearsome. In the middle east men hold arms and its not seen as gay. In some cultures old men are betrothed to little girls, sure tats wrong but in their society its normal. The truth is western society cant tollerate much for as much as we progress its like we set limits to wat are eyes can see.

KharmaDog
What would an 18 year old and a 36 year old have in common...besides sex?

Major_Lexington
teens and old people both like movies........

rudester
Originally posted by KharmaDog
What would an 18 year old and a 36 year old have in common...besides sex? clearly u have never gone dating w someone older, there are 36 year olds tat still live at home and act like 4 year olds. Age is a state of mind, tat being said there are 18 year olds tat act mature and are mature for their age. It all comes down to the need to be loved.

Stoic
Originally posted by rudester
clearly u have never gone dating w someone older, there are 36 year olds tat still live at home and act like 4 year olds. Age is a state of mind, tat being said there are 18 year olds tat act mature and are mature for their age. It all comes down to the need to be loved.

Well said, but did the H key on your PC break off?

0mega Spawn
Stoic you don't need our approval if you want to date your 59 y.o kindergarten teacher

Stoic
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Stoic you don't need our approval if you want to date your 59 y.o kindergarten teacher

Actually not that it's really any ones business, but this is about my little sister, and her much older boyfriend. I'm a bit protective over her, and I just didn't know how to act with the guy.

Oliver North
Actually not that it's really any ones business, but this is about my little sister, and her much older boyfriend. I'm a bit protective over her, and I just didn't know how to act with the guy.

not to put my psychologist cap on here or anything, but regardless of how you feel about the age difference, it is best to let your sister feel like she has autonomy on this issue. So long as there is no actual abuse, the best you can do is offer support, and if it is some childish indiscretion, a place to stay, etc.

If you try to put yourself between them, no matter how right you might seem or might actually be, to her, it will just be another reason to side with the BF. She has to know you respect her right to make choices, whether you agree with them or not, and no, there isn't an easy answer.

Dr Will Hatch
I don't see anything morally wrong with it. It's fine.

rudester
Bash his face, rip his f..ken balls off

KharmaDog
teens and old people both like movies........

True, but hardly something to base a relationship on (in my opinion).

Originally posted by rudester
clearly u have never gone dating w someone older, there are 36 year olds tat still live at home and act like 4 year olds. Age is a state of mind, tat being said there are 18 year olds tat act mature and are mature for their age. It all comes down to the need to be loved.

That's quite an assumption.
I have dated older women when I was younger (I was 20 she was 30) and younger women when I was older (she was 19 I was 28) and I learned that the commonality of experiences was too distanced for an actual relationship.

The sex was great, but the older woman lacked the maturity to have a relationship with someone her one age and dating the younger was the exact same experience.

I know that I will get crushed for this on this forum because so many people are younger and will take offence to it, but though you may have common interests with someone older, your life experiences be different, and those experiences really make the difference.

Stoic
Originally posted by Oliver North
not to put my psychologist cap on here or anything, but regardless of how you feel about the age difference, it is best to let your sister feel like she has autonomy on this issue. So long as there is no actual abuse, the best you can do is offer support, and if it is some childish indiscretion, a place to stay, etc.

If you try to put yourself between them, no matter how right you might seem or might actually be, to her, it will just be another reason to side with the BF. She has to know you respect her right to make choices, whether you agree with them or not, and no, there isn't an easy answer.

Thanks man, I didn't really know how to react when i saw this guy. I didn't say much to him, but I could tell that he knew that I was uneasy about the fact that he was dating my kid sister. I shook his hand, and looked sternly at him, and told him to take very good care of her, and I split. I know you're right, but this is someone that i used to push around in a stroller, and feed baby food to, so I guess i would be like that to anyone she dated. I trust her, so I know that she's making good decisions, I mean she's a good kid to me. All I want is for the best for her. Thanks for the words of encouragement, because i really needed to hear this from someone outside of my normal circle of friends.

juggerman
Well said, but did the H key on your PC break off?

laughing out loud

Oliver NorthWest is right on the money. As hard as it is you need to let her live her own life and, if this happens to be the case, make her own mistakes.

Newjak

Comments. There's nothing morally wrong with it, and it depends on the people.

But in terms of having a a solid relationship I think it's an uphill battle.

Even if the 36 year old is still living at home with their parents they still have 18 years of experience on the other person. The way they view the world is different from a time stand point.

On a personal note I've seen a few of these relationships form and it always appears as if they older person ends up taking the dominate role in the relationship often because they are just at a much more mature point in their lives.

I also have noted it tends to be younger woman going for older men and they end up miserable because they don't feel like they are in control of their lives anymore. Of course this is just personal observation and could not be the norm.

rudester
I have two older sisters, the youngest is bossy mean and scary but shes my sister and i love her. We also have a close relationship and can talk. Wen it comes to guys my sister is emotionally retarded, she lets guys rule her. Im always giving her advice but she never takes it. Her older bf is almost 40 and still lives w his mother and father, shes 29. He has no future goals, no car..likes to make money fast and thinks hes brad pitt. My sister however has a degree in law, works in the government and gives him money for his projects. Plus she does not let anyone tell her wat to do..so me and my family have stopped. Now all i do is ask her if she is on the pill..Her bf bosses her around and ignores her wen he doesnt want to see her. Every time my sister gets paid hes the first one there. All i can do is watch, ive notice tat girls tend to fall in love fast. Im pretty sure hes just using her. Now all i do is try to inspire her with some of the people im dating.

mayche89
I'm not a fan of age disparity, but I think it all depends on type of person, and it's all relative. Of course, there is a huge difference between brain of 18-years old and 30-years old person, but if someone can hold it, I don't mind, I just wont personally ever be with someone who is so much older or younger than me. It's also difference when, for example girl has 20 and guy 30, than when girl is 16 and guy 26.

Dolos

Comments. When I'm 36 years old I don't want to be turned down by some 18 year old because I'm "too old"!? Pfft, that'd be depressing AF.

But seriously, who would want to be married to an 18 year-old, or be married at 18??

Raisen
what about a 30 year old man with a 21 year old woman

Dolos
Now a 21 year old guy or girl should be able to marry anyone they want no matter their age and it really shouldn't be weird at all because that's the legal age to drink, by that age you're well into college and not fresh out of high school, etc.

Jessica Tandy
I'm 34. I have dated many 20 year olds.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.