The Evil Within

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Resident Evil Creator Returning to Survival Horror With 'Zwei'

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/25/resident-evil-creator-working-on-new-survival-horror-game.aspx

NemeBro
Interesting.

Will follow this.

Kazenji
So this is 'The Evil Within' published by Bethesda

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/04/19/shinji-mikamis-new-game-is-the-evil-within?abthid=517131fafa0570b54b000005

Kazenji
lsQ2L7ZKayk

FinalAnswer
It looks like a Rammstein music video without the music.

the ninjak
Was hoping this was going to be a remake of Herzog Zwei sad

Oh well.

Kazenji
Originally posted by the ninjak
Was hoping this was going to be a remake of Herzog Zwei sad

Oh well.

What gave you that idea?

when this is a Survival horror game.

Kazenji
I read in the latest Gemeinformer from Shinji

"Survival-Horror has been drifting away from what makes survival-horror, So i want to bring it back"

Tzeentch._
lulz.

I've heard that before.

Kazenji
Wouldn't be surprised if its true

he did after all create Resident Evil.

Arachnid1
rh8MYUn5kTc

Live Action Trailer

Why The Evil Within may be the real successor to Resident Evil 4

Man, I am so ridiculously excited for this game. The idea that this game will deliver what RE5 and 6 failed to has me stoked. It's interesting that Shinji Mikami's final RE game was 4, because thats about when everything went downhill. He's also stated that this game will be his last directorial work, so I think he'll probably go out with a bang. RE4 is my all-time favorite game so this game has me up the walls.

Tzeentch._
edit

Kazenji
Someone forgot to use the search.

Kazenji
Bump and could a mod rename the thread.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Kazenji
Someone forgot to use the search. Damn. :/

I used search, but I search by thread titles. I knew there was a thread.

Kazenji
Yeah i started one and its under the original name.......which needs to be renamed.

Kazenji
Z4WqOQTxisM

Impediment
This game looks ridiculously good.

MMKhoHl9BnE

Nemesis X
FMTI5AilvDM

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Nemesis X
FMTI5AilvDM Graphics are horrible, but I don't care. That looks like AAA horror. I can not ****ing wait.

Also, not trying to steal your thunder Kazenji:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=564262&highlight=title%3A%28zwei%29+forumid%3A66

Kazenji
Originally posted by Arachnid1

Also, not trying to steal your thunder Kazenji:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=564262&highlight=title%3A%28zwei%29+forumid%3A66

Its not showing

i'm presuming its the one you made, If thats the case this one was made first & i think the mods merged them if you look closely on page 1.

no expression

try changing the setting when you watch the video, Looks good enough to me the grapics

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Kazenji
Its not showing

i'm presuming its the one you made, If thats the case this one was made first & i think the mods merged them if you look closely on page 1.

no expression

try changing the setting when you watch the video, Looks good enough to me the grapics Actually, it was a link to your thread so discussion could move there, but our threads are now merged... (and probably were before I guess)? I just got mindf*cked in some way.

Good enough, sure. I don't care much about graphics, but there are last gen games which have better textures (Last of Us comes to mind). Look at the fire at :20, the blood at :30, the blood at 1:, any of the ground and wall textures, (etc...). His character model is also stiff as hell, so I assume there is no mo-capture. The graphics have a lot of room for improvement. Its not something that would keep me from buying, enjoying, and 100% the hell out of this game, but there is no denying that those are very last gen graphics.

Impediment
The graphics look just fine to me.

Nemesis X
Good enough, sure. I don't care much about graphics, but there are last gen games which have better textures (Last of Us comes to mind). Look at the fire at :20, the blood at :30, the blood at 1:, any of the ground and wall textures, (etc...). His character model is also stiff as hell, so I assume there is no mo-capture. The graphics have a lot of room for improvement. Its not something that would keep me from buying, enjoying, and 100% the hell out of this game, but there is no denying that those are very last gen graphics.

If you're complaining about the graphics not looking very next gen, it's because Shinji Mikami originally planned Evil Within to be only on the 360 and PS3. Xbone and PS4 versions weren't even considered 'til much later on and honestly, I don't care. What should matter mostly in games like this are just the scares and gameplay. I'm not gonna let resolution bug me. Otherwise I'd be into PC.

Arachnid1
If you're complaining about the graphics not looking very next gen, it's because Shinji Mikami originally planned Evil Within to be only on the 360 and PS3. Xbone and PS4 versions weren't even considered 'til much later on and honestly, I don't care. What should matter mostly in games like this are just the scares and gameplay. I'm not gonna let resolution bug me. Otherwise I'd be into PC. And I agree. Just something I noticed. Nothing that matters, but it's at least note worthy.

Kazenji
If you're complaining about the graphics not looking very next gen, it's because Shinji Mikami originally planned Evil Within to be only on the 360 and PS3. Xbone and PS4 versions weren't even considered 'til much later on and honestly, .

I didn't even know that regarding the original plans

i guess it does sorta look like last gen graphics going by that gameplay trailer.

Estacado
So this get's released next week...
Cant wait!

Impediment
I've watched several playthroughs of this game. It looks pretty solid, from what I've seen. I'll be looking forward to this.

The Renegade
I absolutely cannot wait for this title.

Zack Fair
Will this come out on PC?

Impediment
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Will this come out on PC?

For Windows, yes.

Estacado
3 hours of walkthrough.

EsisOS6FmzA

Zack Fair
Cool then I'll get it fos PC.

Been downloading new releases....gotta a full library on quee for xmas

Impediment
I saw a video of the brain surgery puzzles, and I'm really hoping that puzzles in this game will be more challenging than what I saw. Gory and cool, yes, but easy and not challenging.

Arachnid1
Every single review so far has given it an 8/10 or an 8.5/10.

Apparently the combat is pretty interesting/tactical, and the atmosphere is a mix of RE4 and Silent Hill. The game is punishing in its difficulty, and resources are scarce.

The game got knocked for bad loading times, OK graphics, and the story never truly takes off.

It runs at about 13 hours, and is apparently a very tense experience (think the first time you went through the village in RE4).

So far, mostly great things. All reviews seem to agree that this is the true spiritual successor to RE4, although it doesn't reinvent the wheel like RE4 did.

I'm picking this up tonight!

Arachnid1
I just finished installing, and I'm about to start.

A lot of reviews have said this is a super difficult game, the spiritual successor to RE4, has an old school survival-horror feel, and is all around terrifying to boot.

RE4 is my all time favorite game. I haven't had anything like it since I finished it for the (literally) hundredth+ time on the xbox 360 remaster. It will feel good to experience its successor fresh and for the first time. This is the game I've been waiting a decade for.

Kazenji
I've seen some negative reviews from Escapist Magazine & Joystiq

besides those two its been getting good reviews.

Smasandian
**** this. Evil Within is being sold for $65 bucks on Steam. I have never seen a game that expensive on Steam. In most cases, it's either $59 or $49.

I know it's 5 bucks but it's bullshit.

Kazenji
**** steam in general

i've never have and never will by a digital game costing that much.

Zack Fair
Why would it cost so much tho?

Smasandian
I'm guessing because they are charging the "next gen" price. Similar to what happened when the 360/PS3 came out, all new games on Xbox One and PS4 are $69 because they know they can get away with it.

I'm guessing they thought they could get that much money. It's bullshit. I have never seen a newly released game that much before. I really hope it doesn't become the norm.

Smasandian
So it was because Steam went to CAN dollars.

Which is still ****ing lame. Originally, you paid in US dollars and the exchange rate was converted.

But now we are paying CAN so there isn't any exchange yet they charge the exchange in the final price....still bullshit. If you look at other games (the new Borderlands for ex.), it's being sold for $59. I just noticed that a lot of other games are do so at the same time.....they know they can get the extra $4-5 bucks.

Estacado
So how do you like the game Arachnid?

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Estacado
So how do you like the game Arachnid?

No massive spoilers below, except the look of the first boss (nothing special design wise though).

The Sadist was some serious RE4 deja-vu/nostalgia (chainsaw maniac sequence in a village crowded with Ganado/The Haunted).

This guy was too fast. Once you set him loose, there's no outrunning him. He killed me a few times before I formulated a plan and set up some traps for him to walk through. This was the first game I've played in a while that forced me to think my way out of a dire situation. Finally beating him was pretty satisfying.

I've gotten through this game by stealthing and thinking my way through every area so far. The entire game makes you feel like the odds are very stacked against you. Its cool that tackling more than one enemy at a time gives me pause, because it doesn't take a lot to kill you.

I like the game so far. It gives me the same feeling as RE4. I haven't been terrified yet, but that overly-tense, stressful, barely making it by the skin of my teeth feeling is something I haven't felt in years.

I do wish it was a bit scarier though. The design for the Haunted is too human-like. They're basically Ganado except more deadly, and slightly more gruesome in design. Dr Salvadors baghead had a scarier design in RE4 than the Sadist.

The controls could use some fine-tuning too. Sebastian constantly stops moving when I try to run away from enemies. It's kind of a struggle. You could imagine how much this screwed me with a sprinting chainsaw maniac behind me.

The stealth could be better done. Once you're spotted, it's almost impossible for the enemies to lose your trail. It almost feels pointless.

I'm not sure how I feel about the corny dialogue/acting. I realize that's a staple of old-school survival horror, but we should be beyond that.

Sebastian himself is definitely no Leon S. Kennedy. I'm hoping he'll grow on me as time goes on, but so far I'm not impressed. It doesn't even take a lot for me to like a protagonist. I loved Aiden Pierce in Watch Dogs, and general consensus is that he sucked. I like to feel invested in my horror game avatars (I've loved every Silent Hill protagonist, and the majority of RE characters). If not, it's hard to care about what happens to them in the end. I really hope he fleshes out.

I love it so far. I've only gotten through chapter 3 though. This game really feels like you're barely surviving from chapter to chapter.

Estacado
No massive spoilers below, except the look of the first boss (nothing special design wise though).

The Sadist was some serious RE4 deja-vu/nostalgia (chainsaw maniac sequence in a village crowded with Ganado/The Haunted).

This guy was too fast. Once you set him loose, there's no outrunning him. He killed me a few times before I formulated a plan and set up some traps for him to walk through. This was the first game I've played in a while that forced me to think my way out of a dire situation. Finally beating him was pretty satisfying.

I've gotten through this game by stealthing and thinking my way through every area so far. The entire game makes you feel like the odds are very stacked against you. Its cool that tackling more than one enemy at a time gives me pause, because it doesn't take a lot to kill you.

I like the game so far. It gives me the same feeling as RE4. I haven't been terrified yet, but that overly-tense, stressful, barely making it by the skin of my teeth feeling is something I haven't felt in years.

I do wish it was a bit scarier though. The design for the Haunted is too human-like. They're basically Ganado except more deadly, and slightly more gruesome in design. Dr Salvadors baghead had a scarier design in RE4 than the Sadist.

The controls could use some fine-tuning too. Sebastian constantly stops moving when I try to run away from enemies. It's kind of a struggle. You could imagine how much this screwed me with a sprinting chainsaw maniac behind me.

The stealth could be better done. Once you're spotted, it's almost impossible for the enemies to lose your trail. It almost feels pointless.

I'm not sure how I feel about the corny dialogue/acting. I realize that's a staple of old-school survival horror, but we should be beyond that.

Sebastian himself is definitely no Leon S. Kennedy. I'm hoping he'll grow on me as time goes on, but so far I'm not impressed. It doesn't even take a lot for me to like a protagonist. I loved Aiden Pierce in Watch Dogs, and general consensus is that he sucked. I like to feel invested in my horror game avatars (I've loved every Silent Hill protagonist, and the majority of RE characters). If not, it's hard to care about what happens to them in the end. I really hope he fleshes out.

I love it so far. I've only gotten through chapter 3 though. This game really feels like you're barely surviving from chapter to chapter.
Sounds cool!
Gonna play it this week.

Arachnid1
I've been playing a chapter of this every time I've gotten a chance, but schools been a bit hectic so I haven't had many chances since its came out.

That said, I've finished chapter 5. This chapter turned things up a notch in terms of fear factor and tenseness. Still not super scary, except for a good amount of golden moments which seemed super concentrated into this chapter. This was the longest, and the best chapter yet! I'm still enjoying this game, and it really does feel like an RE successor.

Impediment
So far this game isn't blowing my skirt up. I just started Chapter 4 and I'm not very enveloped with the story. It's slow and not very scary.

Does it pick up?

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Impediment
So far this game isn't blowing my skirt up. I just started Chapter 4 and I'm not very enveloped with the story. It's slow and not very scary.

Does it pick up? I'm about to start chapter 7.

From what I've read, the story does pick up as you go on. At the moment, I'm still not sure wtf is going on though. Just a bunch of random, gruesome happenings. It feels like classic Mikami though. The basic story is some cops showing up as backup to some horror setting, something causes them to split up, and random shit ensues. Pretty much the same as RE1.

I've spent a fair amount of time lurking the Evil Within forums, and a lot of the people there believe the game hits its stride chapter 5 and 6. A lot of them seemed to be blown away by chapters 9 and 10, so I'm looking forward to that. Everyone who beat the game considers it to be one of Mikami's best. Then again, it is a forum dedicated to the Evil Within, so take that with a grain of salt.

Chapter 4, IMO, was alright. Chapter 5 is better than everything that came before it. Play that entire chapter straight. I was pretty exhausted by the end. Chapter 6 was pretty meh. Chapter 7 is shaping up to be promising though, since I know the title, and it had some set up in previous chapters as well as all the promotion for the game.

I will say that the game does a good job of keeping you on your toes with new enemy types. It constantly switches up to something new, so you never really get too used to the enemies you encounter. It does seem to improve with every chapter too. Chapters 1-2 were alright, chapter 3 I enjoyed, and it only gets better as you go on.

As far as fear goes, it hasn't had me up to Silent Hill levels yet. There are a few moments here and there that had me wide-eyed, but this game seems to replicate the tense stressfulness of RE4, and variety/weirdness of RE1 more than the fear factor of SH. It does do atmosphere well though, I'll give it that. I like the level design, and it will make you go WTF more than a few times.

Kind of a long answer to a question, but in short, yes it picks up.

Arachnid1
Chapter 7 was (*_*). This is the first chapter to truely have me fear what was around the next corner.

My god, The Keeper boss (Box Head from the promotion)! Him stalking you through the catacombs was WTF. Having to find the 3 pieces scattered throughout the catacombs to open the lithograph gate was the most classic survival horror moment I've felt since old school Silent Hill and RE. Knowing it was all building up to the encounter with The Keeper, and all the glimpses you catch of him throughout the level had me pretty terrified.

It brought back strong memories of being stalked by Pyramid Head through the labyrinth in Silent Hill 2. Also, the catacombs note I found put the fear of god in me too. It was written by some poor soul that was trapped in The Keepers lair, and couldn't escape him. The dude sounded desperate and terrified, which made me feel f*cked.

The actual boss fight with him was pretty terrifying too. He killed me a few times, and the death animations he has on you with his hammer/pickaxe were brutal enough to have my mouth hanging open as I watched him mutilate Sebastian. I was super low on supplies/ammo at this point too, so having to scavenge during the fight was intense as hell.

Strong chapter. This was exactly what I've been waiting to feel. I hope the rest of the game keeps this up. With the way people talked about chapters 9 and 10, I think we have some golden survival horror moments to look forward to. No part of any recent horror game had me shitting bricks like that (Outlast, its DLC, the PT demo, etc..). This was one thing I've always loved about Mikami. Dude knows how to build up to, and execute a boss fight.

Also, has anyone else noticed the little throwbacks throughout the game to Mikamis older titles?

Like in the second level, you encounter a Haunted individual that used to be one of Sebastians co-workers. He's crouched, eating a body, and turns around to face you when crouched before getting up to attack you. This was exactly like the first zombie you encountered in RE1, which I suppose was on purpose.

Also, every time you pick up a map fragment, the screen pauses the game and shows you the item you just picked up. It makes the exact same sound it made in Resident Evil 4 whenever you picked up a key item or something.

NemeBro
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9840-The-Evil-Within-Review

Homeboy says the game sucks balls.

This true?

Impediment
It doesn't suck, in my opinion.

It's gory, violent, and kinda tense at times, but this game was over hyped like so many horror movies and games.

Wait until the price drops or buy a used copy.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by NemeBro
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9840-The-Evil-Within-Review

Homeboy says the game sucks balls.

This true? Nah, the game doesn't suck. Impediment might be right on holding off if you're not a massive Mikami fan and are used to his style already. I'll let you know when I beat it. After this past chapter though, I have high hopes for the rest of it. That said, I agree with and mentioned a good amount of the stuff that reviewer said.

Stealth is pointless, main character is nothing special, and I have no idea what the story is halfway through the game. I hear the story does make sense later, but I cant say from experience yet.

So far, one chapter was great. Another chapter was pretty good. The rest was alright (typical horror movie set pieces). I'm not sure why he would want the rest of the game to be anything like the intro chapter though. That was one of the worst chapters of all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.