Palpatine and the B team

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Master Han
OK, this is not the thread to debate whether Sidious's threw the fight (he didn't). mad

The question here is how, exactly, Palpatine manages to kill the three Jedi masters the way he does.

Here's a link to the battle. It's technically an AMV, except that doesn't suck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu_XLDlDWLQ

Now, the novelization describes a pretty badass scene where Palpatine moves with blinding speed, takes out the three masters, and then fights Windu, who eventually sinks into vaapad, and then the two fight with omgwtflol blinding speeds too fast for even Anakin to follow.

Unfortunately, Lucas is an incompetent dumbass, so we instead get a ridiculous set of telegraphed stabs and slashes that the Jedi somehow don't respond to, followed by a brief 2 vs 1 match where the Jedi conveniently time their attacks so Ian McDiarmid will be able to parry their blades at the same time. When Fisto falls, Mace Windu backs through the door with a dumbass open stance that Palpatine just ignores. (on about horrible choreography)

Since the films > novels in the canon hierarchy, we have to accept the movie's version of events, where Palpatine is certainly not using Force speed, or moving particularly fast.

So how does he kill all those Masters?

My theory is that he used the dark side to dull their senses and movement, and had possibly been slowly prepping this after revealing himself to Anakin. We know from...some movie-novel that dueling Force users use the Force to mess up the other's senses, so it's not entirely speculative.

ROTJ Vader
Because he's that good. Palpatine is able to speedblitz 3 of the best Jedi of all time, Windu cant beat those 3, he could beat 2 of them at once, yeah but not all 3. And if he DID beat all 3 it would be barley.

Nephthys
Yeah, it was speed.

ares834
Because Lucas is a hack... stick out tongue

Seriously, a 4 on 1 duel would have been awesome and made Sidious seem much more formidable. As it is now, those three just look like shitty Jedi.

Master Han
Originally posted by Nephthys
Yeah, it was speed.

Originally posted by ROTJ Vader
Because he's that good. Palpatine is able to speedblitz 3 of the best Jedi of all time, Windu cant beat those 3, he could beat 2 of them at once, yeah but not all 3. And if he DID beat all 3 it would be barley.

But my point is that, if you watch the movie's version of events, you can see that Sidious isn't really that fast at all (the fight is one of the slowest in the PT), and he spends, like, a full second telegraphing and posing his first stab, during which the other Jedi could have just diced him into pieces.

Vensai
Originally posted by ares834
Because Lucas is a hack... stick out tongue

Seriously, a 4 on 1 duel would have been awesome and made Sidious seem much more formidable. As it is now, those three just look like shitty Jedi.
The point was to show how beyond the stooges Sidious was. But yeah that was a pathetic showing for the Jedi.

ares834
I understand the point of it, but it didn't work. Having Sidious slaughter the Jedi like that didn't make him look impressive it made the Jedi look like jokes. Having a prolonged battle between them would have made Sidious look far more impressive.

The_Tempest
Or having Saesee and Agen react would have been nice, perhaps even exchanging a few blows as Kit would do.

Or showing Saesee and Agen kick tons of ass prior to their deaths.

Or just doing what Stover wrote.

ares834
What did Stover write? Been awhile since I read it.

The Merchant
I remember that in the commentary that the fights move so fast that in reality we can't see them.

Master Han
Originally posted by The Merchant
I remember that in the commentary that the fights move so fast that in reality we can't see them.

Do you have a source?

And that doesn't really work when you consider that Jedi don't move in superspeed when placed in situations with ordinary foes wielding blasters, events around them don't slow down, etc.

Vensai
Originally posted by Master Han
Do you have a source?

And that doesn't really work when you consider that Jedi don't move in superspeed when placed in situations with ordinary foes wielding blasters, events around them don't slow down, etc.
Some Jedi move insanely fast. The skilled ones have to be in order to block blaster bolts. Sidious for example blitzed the three Jedi strike team.

Lord Lucien
To be fair, two of them stood there like chumps. One was even looking the other way for some reason.

ROTJ Vader

Agreed man. I always imagine how I would rewrite that scene. Have a awesome badass 4 on 1 duel making Sidious look superpowerful. Instead they rushed the scene and made the 3 Jedi look like crap. sad

DARTH POWER
I understand the point of it, but it didn't work. Having Sidious slaughter the Jedi like that didn't make him look impressive it made the Jedi look like jokes. Having a prolonged battle between them would have made Sidious look far more impressive.

I agree. Sidious vs Maul and Opress just seemed way more impressive.

Master Han
Originally posted by Vensai
Some Jedi move insanely fast. The skilled ones have to be in order to block blaster bolts. Sidious for example blitzed the three Jedi strike team.

Yeah, but in the Sidious vs. mooks fight, Palpatine telegraphs his initial thrust with ridiculous exaggeration, and any regular fencer should have been able to move out of the way, let alone three master swordsmen.

----

Another question, adding to the PT's mountain of plot holes: why the **** didn't "Master" Windu send out a warning to all the Jedi that the Supreme Chancellor is the dark lord of the sith? We know from later in the movie that Obi Wan and Yoda can send out a warning to all the Jedi to avoid the Temple, and this is while fighting through clone troopers. The novelization claims that Windu contacts Master Yoda, but why not all the Jedi? He surely should have realized that shit was about to hit the fan.

NemeBro
The fight was terrible because Lucas insisted that Ian McDiarmid do the scene himself. A man of over sixty years of age.

Lucas is an idiot.

Col. Valerian

Another question, adding to the PT's mountain of plot holes: why the **** didn't "Master" Windu send out a warning to all the Jedi that the Supreme Chancellor is the dark lord of the sith? We know from later in the movie that Obi Wan and Yoda can send out a warning to all the Jedi to avoid the Temple, and this is while fighting through clone troopers. The novelization claims that Windu contacts Master Yoda, but why not all the Jedi? He surely should have realized that shit was about to hit the fan.

This!

I've always been annoyed by this. Why the hell does Windu decide to fight Sidious before sending a goddamned warning?

LUCAS!!! mad mad mad

I know that if that happened there wouldn't have been an Order 66, events in the upcoming movies would've been different, etc. but still... Plot-hole.

Originally posted by NemeBro
The fight was terrible because Lucas insisted that Ian McDiarmid do the scene himself. A man of over sixty years of age.

Lucas is an idiot.

And this, too.

Vensai
Yeah, but in the Sidious vs. mooks fight, Palpatine telegraphs his initial thrust with ridiculous exaggeration, and any regular fencer should have been able to move out of the way, let alone three master swordsmen.

----

Windu was probably overconfident that his strike team could handle the Sith. He really doesnt have a good track record for making smart decisions involving Sith. For example, he didn't just kill Dooku in AoTC after sneaking up on him.

Master Han
Another funny thing: Palpatine seems to play on Anakin's compassion to get him to off Windu. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.