Are soldiers simply idiots?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Reflection
"There has seldom if ever a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots."

Iain Banks

Please discuss your thoughts on this quote.

theICONiac
In the USA, the armed forces are made up of a majority of southern Americans from impoverished areas who would otherwise be unable to sustain themselves through gainful employment.

The armed forces provide an opportunity they would otherwise be denied due to local economics. Due to this most could give a rats ass about some conflict happening a world away.

Reflection
Originally posted by theICONiac
In the USA, the armed forces are made up of a majority of southern Americans from impoverished areas who would otherwise be unable to sustain themselves through gainful employment.

The armed forces provide an opportunity they would otherwise be denied due to local economics. Due to this most could give a rats ass about some conflict happening a world away.

So you are saying they are poor and ill educated?

Lord Lucien
Many are. They needs a secure a job that'll pay the bills.

As to that quote, it's a tad generalized. You could say one nation or side as a plethora of idiot who like to be soldiers, but what do other, less-idiotic nations do when those soldiers start attacking and invading? Not fight back because the concept of a soldier is inherently "idiotic"?

theICONiac
Originally posted by Reflection
So you are saying they are poor and ill educated?

I am sure the recruits (regardless of geographical location) who signed up looking for better opportunities in the armed forces aren't Havard graduates coming from affluent families (of course enlisting as an officer is a completely different ballgame).

It is done out of necessity.

Reflection
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Many are. They needs a secure a job that'll pay the bills.

As to that quote, it's a tad generalized. You could say one nation or side as a plethora of idiot who like to be soldiers, but what do other, less-idiotic nations do when those soldiers start attacking and invading? Not fight back because the concept of a soldier is inherently "idiotic"?

I think the quote is more about questioning the values of previous generations, maybe....

COG Veteran
Is this question directed at a certain country you dislike or is applied universally?

Reflection
Originally posted by COG Veteran
Is this question directed at a certain country you dislike or is applied universally?

Universally, why should I dislike a 'certain' country. I don't understand your inference 'veteran'.

COG Veteran
Was wondering what brought up such a strong question about the people who defend you on a daily basis.

Lord Lucien
Was wondering what brought up such a strong question about the people who defend you on a daily basis. Sentiment noted, but that's grossly exaggerated.

Reflection
Was wondering what brought up such a strong question about the people who defend you on a daily basis.

You make an assumption 'veteran' that your belief I am defended on a daily basis by the military is one I hold and that your view is in fact correct that they are actively defending me and this is the purpose of most modern conflicts. None of these assumptions are held by me. The quote is also not by me.

COG Veteran
Good glad I was correct. big grin

Cool, glad you recognize a force that actively defends you.

I know that quote isn't by you.

And for the record, no, I don't belive soldiers are idiots. I've seen many reasons and I wouldn't place a generalized answere to the question.

BTW, the "Veteran" in my name, is from a game, no I am not in the military.

Master Han
It's kind of silly to make hasty generalizations like this. You could probably establish that your average military enlistee isn't as educated as, say, your average college student (duh), but it would be unfair to exceptions to the rule if you judged them on this vague pronouncement. Maybe some brilliant people just want to serve their country; maybe some want to pay their way through college. Perhaps others are just very patriotic, who knows?

Reflection
Good glad I was correct. big grin

Cool, glad you recognize a force that actively defends you.

I know that quote isn't by you.

And for the record, no, I don't belive soldiers are idiots. I've seen many reasons and I wouldn't place a generalized answere to the question.

BTW, the "Veteran" in my name, is from a game, no I am not in the military.

I wouldn't place an 'answere' anywhere 'veteran', like your 'answere' your comprehension needs work 'veteran'. smokin'

COG Veteran
I wouldn't place an 'answere' anywhere 'veteran', like your 'answere' your comprehension needs work 'veteran'. smokin'

"comprehension". laughing You're the one who hasn't even answered his own question. lulz. So go ahead, tell me you're generalized answer.

Reflection
"comprehension". laughing You're the one who hasn't even answered his own question. lulz. So go ahead, tell me you're generalized answer.

It's not my question to answer 'veteran', hence the word 'discuss' and you completely misunderstand the quotes meaning. It's not 'you're generalized answer', you should have used 'your'... No wonder you don't even understand what is being asked 'veteran'. sad smokin'

COG Veteran
It's not my question to answer 'veteran', hence the word discuss and you completely misunderstand its meaning. It's not 'you're generalized answer', you should have used 'your'... No wonder you don't even understand what is being asked 'veteran'. sad smokin'

Lol, you are defeated so soon that you're resorting to insulting my grammar. Thats almost cute. laughing out loud

And why don't I think soldiers are idiots? Cuz they do the shit that others aren't willing to. Wheather its because it runs in the family, steady job, love for one's country, or for the sheer experience for a totally different life. Happy Dance

theICONiac
People! We are losing focus! Boy George sums it up very succinctly:

War war is stupid and people are stupid
And love means nothing in some strange quarters
And I heard the banging of hearts and fingers
War!

People fill the world with narrow confidence
Like a child at birth, a man with no defence
What's mine's my own, I won't give it to you
No matter what you say, no matter what you do

Now we're fighting in our hearts
Fighting in the streets
Won't somebody help me?

War!

Man is far behind in the search of something new
Like a Philistine, we're burning witches too
This world of hate must be designed for you
It matters what you say, it matters what you do

Fighting in the streets
Won't somebody help me?

War!

After the bird has flown
Walked ten thousand miles back home
You can't do that to me, no, you can't do that to me
You can't do that to me, no, you can't do that to me

War!
War!

In this heart of mine, I'll find a place for you
For black or white, for grown-up children too

Fighting in the streets
Won't somebody help me?

No more war
say no more war
say war
I said war
No more war
say no more war
say war
Said no more war
I said no more war
Senso hant-ai
Senso hant-ai
Say no more war
Say no more war

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNpyia78Wlg

Reflection
Originally posted by Master Han
It's kind of silly to make hasty generalizations like this. You could probably establish that your average military enlistee isn't as educated as, say, your average college student (duh), but it would be unfair to exceptions to the rule if you judged them on this vague pronouncement. Maybe some brilliant people just want to serve their country; maybe some want to pay their way through college. Perhaps others are just very patriotic, who knows?

You don't think it's making a statement about the unquestioning compliance of some of the young to the values of previous generations?

I am not even going to quote 'veteran' as he has nothing of value to contribute in my opinion, he can barely string a sentence together..... Canon fodder at best. smile

theICONiac
Is it compulsory in Saudi Arabia to serve in the armed forces like Israel?

Reflection
Is it compulsory in Saudi Arabia to serve in the armed forces like Israel?

Who said I am a Saudi? So many assumptions making an ass out of u and me.

COG Veteran
You don't think it's making a statement about the unquestioning compliance of some of the young to the values of previous generations?

I am not even going to quote 'veteran' as he has nothing of value to contribute in my opinion, he can barely string a sentence together..... Canon fodder at best. smile

Lol, I answered your question you're still butthurt and you still can't recognize that. "Cannon fodder at best" At least my country (and military stick out tongue) has what it takes to hold itself together laughing out loud

You couldn't even hold this thread together for 1 page before it went downhill.

Reflection
Lol, I answered your question you're still butthurt and you still can't recognize that. "Cannon fodder at best" At least my country (and military stick out tongue) has what it takes to hold itself together laughing out loud

You couldn't even hold this thread together for 1 page before it went downhill.

butthurt? Silly child. Learn to spell and comprehend then talk to me in correctly structured English with relevance, rather than using your 'Video game speak'. I have made no arguments son. You have made inferences. I shall no longer talk to you, you are on ignore until you have left school.

theICONiac
Who said I am a Saudi? So many assumptions making an ass out of u and me.

My apologies. For some unknown, unfathomable reason I incorrectly assumed you are from Saudi Arabia based on the location underneath the name of Reflection as being 'Saudi Arabia'.

laughing

Silly me.

laughing

Anyhoo, where are you from?

COG Veteran
butthurt? Silly child. Learn to spell and comprehend then talk to me in correctly structured English with relevance, rather than using your 'Video game speak'. I have made no arguments son. You have made inferences. I shall no longer talk to you, you are on ignore until you have left school.

"Butthurt" stick out tongue yeah apparently haven't been to KMC ever, that's the way we speak lol.

And get used to the Video game speak, there's shitloads of it at KMC.

"Until I have left school" judging by the news about Saudi Arabia, at least my country has a school. wink

Wow, that was the fastest i've been put on ignore. Too bad i'm not insulted lulz.

Reflection
My apologies. For some unknown, unfathomable reason I incorrectly assumed you are from Saudi Arabia based on the location underneath the name of Reflection as being 'Saudi Arabia'.

laughing

Silly me.

laughing

Anyhoo, where are you from?

Lot's of places, forgive me for being cryptic, no one wants to get doxed and a lot of losers who are into video games do that type of thing instead of 'going outside'.

theICONiac
Lot's of places, forgive me for being cryptic, no one wants to get doxed and a lot of losers who are into video games do that type of thing instead of 'going outside'.

???

So you fabricated a fake location because you don't want to get 'doxed' and are into video games and don't want to go outside?

I do not understand. Is english your first language?

Reflection
???

So you fabricated a fake location because you don't want to get 'doxed' and are into video games and don't want to go outside?

I do not understand. Is english your first language?

No, I live in Saudi, ask the mods to i.p. check me. You keep making assumptions instead of reading what is written. Your questions are somewhat stalkerish and a bit weird, I suspect you are also a child. Your avatar indicates about 14.

COG Veteran
Nah, his mind is obviously fried in the first place if he hates games and then comes to a place thats loaded with gamers. He got torn apart. Nobody will miss him. I enjoy the fight

theICONiac
No, I live in Saudi, ask the mods to i.p. check me. You keep making assumptions instead of reading what is written. Your questions are somewhat stalkerish and a bit weird, I suspect you are also a child. Your avatar indicates about 14.

You are close. I am 16. Does that invalidate my opinion?

"Who said I am a Saudi? So many assumptions making an ass out of u and me."

"No, I live in Saudi, ask the mods to i.p. check me."

Perhaps because I am so young I am just not getting this??

Tzeentch._
lol Whirly.

Reflection
You are close. I am 16. Does that invalidate my opinion?

"Who said I am a Saudi? So many assumptions making an ass out of u and me."

"No, I live in Saudi, ask the mods to i.p. check me."

Perhaps because I am so young I am just not getting this??

I said, "who said I was from Saudi". I am in Saudi. Your lack of reading skills invalidates your opinion, you are also on ignore.

COG Veteran
I win... evil face

theICONiac
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
lol Whirly.

Who, Reflection??

VERY pale imitation. Whirly has an extremely keen wit. Refelction ( big grin ) has not made me smile at all.

Reflection
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
lol Whirly.

I'm sorry is 'Whirly' gamer speak for something?

Lord Lucien
I'm sorry is 'Whirly' gamer speak for something? It's that spiraling sensation you get in your anus when something has gone horribly wrong.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
It's that spiraling sensation you get in your anus when something has gone horribly wrong.

No, that's surprise buttsex.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by dadudemon
No, that's surprise buttsex. to-MAY-to to-MAH-to

Ushgarak
Troll thread closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.