Could Nintendo go third-party?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VG_Addict
I mean, the Wii U isn't doing well, and it's being sold at a loss. Could it make Nintendo go third party?

Bentley
This generation? Hardly. As a company it still has lots of money from previous growth and the 3DS is not nearly as weak in sales as Wii U. This even assuming that the Wii U won't end up getting more money at some point in the future. So no, for the time being Nintendo just cannot suffer from that console enough to become a third party.

Bardock42
Yeah, I don't see it in the very near term either, sadly.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, I don't see it in the very near term either, sadly. Sadly? What a hater.

Emi~Kiro
Originally posted by VG_Addict
I mean, the Wii U isn't doing well, and it's being sold at a loss. Could it make Nintendo go third party?
I have seen this question pop up in multiple places at multiple times over the years in regard to price drops and drops in sales.. Why is this such a reoccurring question? Why is Nintendo the old company I see questioned this way and even targeted with hopes that it will tank or become a lesser form that it is now?

Bardock42
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Sadly? What a hater.

Noo, I'm a lover....a lover of Nintendo games on decent hardware.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Emi~Kiro
I have seen this question pop up in multiple places at multiple times over the years in regard to price drops and drops in sales.. Why is this such a reoccurring question? Why is Nintendo the old company I see questioned this way and even targeted with hopes that it will tank or become a lesser form that it is now? I don't get it either.Originally posted by Bardock42
Noo, I'm a lover....a lover of Nintendo games on decent hardware. Then get a Nintendo system.

Bardock42
Then get a Nintendo system.

Ha, good one.

Like, I guess I'm ambivalent, like, I either want them to go third party, or start making good hardware. Either'd be fine with me.

Yamcha
Aren't they doing some Zelda bundle with the Wii U including a price drop? If it's like a Zelda themed Wii U then more likely then not I'll pick it up lol.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Yamcha
Aren't they doing some Zelda bundle with the Wii U including a price drop? If it's like a Zelda themed Wii U then more likely then not I'll pick it up lol. It is, it's a deluxe Wii U with WW HD and it's awesome. I actually regret not waiting. This is the second time Nintendo's done this to me, they did it with the Zelda Anniversary 3DS, too.
Ha, good one.

Like, I guess I'm ambivalent, like, I either want them to go third party, or start making good hardware. Either'd be fine with me. What's wrong with Nintendo's hardware?

Yamcha
It is, it's a deluxe Wii U with WW HD and it's awesome. I actually regret not waiting. This is the second time Nintendo's done this to me, they did it with the Zelda Anniversary 3DS, too. Ah yeah I always seem to miss these things, over in Japan the special Pokemon x/y 3DS's looked so amazing o.o I think they sold out in a couple hours lol.

Bardock42

What's wrong with Nintendo's hardware?

It's ugly, feels terrible in the hand, gimmicky and doesn't perform the basic functions you want it to perform in a reasonable manner.

ScreamPaste
It's ugly, feels terrible in the hand, gimmicky and doesn't perform the basic functions you want it to perform in a reasonable manner.
I disagree, I disagree, you don't like the DS? And what functions? Nintendo's hardware plays games. I've never had trouble with that?

Bardock42
I disagree, I disagree, you don't like the DS? And what functions? Nintendo's hardware plays games. I've never had trouble with that?

I liked the DS Lite. 3DS is garbage.

I don't care if you like what they've been putting out lately (though I'd say it's not really working for them so well), but I don't like it, but I'd love to play their classic library, and maybe new games on my smartphone or perhaps an Xbox or whatever. Like I said I don't think it will happen too soon, but I do think it will happen sometime.

And I get that some people don't like that idea and are happy with Nintendo doing "new" stuff with hardware, I'm just not one of them.

Bentley
I liked the DS Lite. 3DS is garbage.

How is the 3DS garbage? It is as if your argument destroyed itself by the second paragraph, the 3DS is pretty much a classic DS-like console, so you don't want them to keep on doing things that work? I thought your argument was that you wanted exactly that?

Maybe I misread your argument or something.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bentley
How is the 3DS garbage? It is as if your argument destroyed itself by the second paragraph, the 3DS is pretty much a classic DS-like console, so you don't want them to keep on doing things that work? I thought your argument was that you wanted exactly that?

Maybe I misread your argument or something.

My second paragraph is unrelated to the 3DS being garbage, as far as I can tell. I'd like for them to put out something as good as the DS Lite, but they haven't. They make alright games though, so they should put it on devices that make good hardware. The iPod Touch comes to mind foremost, cause that is such insanely much better hardware at a similar price.

ScreamPaste
My second paragraph is unrelated to the 3DS being garbage, as far as I can tell. I'd like for them to put out something as good as the DS Lite, but they haven't. They make alright games though, so they should put it on devices that make good hardware. The iPod Touch comes to mind foremost, cause that is such insanely much better hardware at a similar price. ...The ipod touch? haermm

Bentley
I don't know if I'd qualify the I-machines as great gaming hardware... The 3DS is a lot like the DS family, as far as I can tell they aren't dropping their quality as if it was a rock.

Bardock42
...The ipod touch? haermm

Yup

I don't know if I'd qualify the I-machines as great gaming hardware... The 3DS is a lot like the DS family, as far as I can tell they aren't dropping their quality as if it was a rock.

Well, great enough to be the most popular gaming hardware.

And with external gamepads coming I think it could be even better.

At any rate Nintendo makes very good software for odd gimmicky input devices, they'd be perfect for making great games for smartphones.

Ushgarak
Nintendo would lose it if they went third-party. Honestly- their quirky hardware design is an innate part of their personality and even their success. They'd soon decline away if they lost that edge.

Bardock42
They are being disrupted right now (by players they can't compete with). They will be losing in the coming years, if they don't change something fundamentally. Maybe going 3rd party isn't that, but I'd like it anyways. Their IP is just really worthwhile.

But maybe I have to wait until Disney buys them for next to nothing in 2020...

Ushgarak
They've been dying before and pulled back. They aren't closer to dying now and can still pull upwards. Or maybe they will ever fully recover- but nonetheless, I am sure that the day they have to go third party would be the day they are doomed.

Bentley
Well, great enough to be the most popular gaming hardware.

And with external gamepads coming I think it could be even better.

You can argue they are not popular because of their gaming capabilities, almost the opposite, they are popular despite their relatively poor capabilities. Even if we go there, if we consider such a market as the biggest videogame explosion for the years to come, Nintendo has proven that their hardware experience makes them the fittest to actually compete in such a bizarre gaming situation.

I mean they managed to sell the frigging Wii. I suppose that you can argue that the Wii wasn't great hardware quality, but that goes to prove that being popular doesn't mean you have good hardware.

At any rate Nintendo makes very good software for odd gimmicky input devices, they'd be perfect for making great games for smartphones.

Nintendo would make great games for wooden boxes... They have done it before actually.

Bardock42
You can argue they are not popular because of their gaming capabilities, almost the opposite, they are popular despite their relatively poor capabilities. Even if we go there, if we consider such a market as the biggest videogame explosion for the years to come, Nintendo has proven that their hardware experience makes them the fittest to actually compete in such a bizarre gaming situation.

I mean they managed to sell the frigging Wii. I suppose that you can argue that the Wii wasn't great hardware quality, but that goes to prove that being popular doesn't mean you have good hardware.

Nintendo would make great games for wooden boxes... They have done it before actually.

I don't really disagree with anything you said here...not sure why we are arguing.

Bentley
I enjoy talking with reasonable people from time to time awesr

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.