US/UK Signal Intelligence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Symmetric Chaos
The story from the Guardian:
www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

The actual documents:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/09/05/us/documents-reveal-nsa-campaign-against-encryption.html?ref=us

The NSA and GCHQ have been inserting backdoors into communications software (at least sometimes with the permission of developers) in order to gain access. I figured that when the Guardian said that the document classified consumers as adversaries it was artistic license but no, they literally refer to "the consumer and other adversaries" in the documentation.

In other news the Snowden leaks have been brilliantly planned. Obama obviously though this was going to blow over but they're drawing out the reveals as long as they can.

KharmaDog
Did anyone really "not believe" that the NSA was doing this in the first place? Are people more upset because they just figured this out, or because they new it all along and didn't want to face it?

Bardock42
You are not dead...

KharmaDog
Came close though

Bardock42
Did the NSA try to kill you?

KharmaDog
No.. a stroke. But I beat it's ass.
NSA has nothing on a stroke.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The story from the Guardian:
www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

The actual documents:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/09/05/us/documents-reveal-nsa-campaign-against-encryption.html?ref=us

The NSA and GCHQ have been inserting backdoors into communications software (at least sometimes with the permission of developers) in order to gain access. I figured that when the Guardian said that the document classified consumers as adversaries it was artistic license but no, they literally refer to "the consumer and other adversaries" in the documentation.

In other news the Snowden leaks have been brilliantly planned. Obama obviously though this was going to blow over but they're drawing out the reveals as long as they can.

Well, IT folks view the consumer/customer as the enemy. Ironically, they hate the hand that feeds them because without the technologically illiterate, IT folks would have no job.
Same way can be thought for digital communication users. They are all adversaries because they are all potential points of failure.

Folks.

But, yeah, I'm wanting to encypt all of my traffic, now. Not because I have anything to hide, but only because I think that some elements of some monitoring agencies are creepers.

Bardock42
Originally posted by KharmaDog
No.. a stroke. But I beat it's ass.
NSA has nothing on a stroke.

Well, I'm glad you did!

Originally posted by dadudemon

But, yeah, I'm wanting to encypt all of my traffic, now. Not because I have anything to hide, but only because I think that some elements of some monitoring agencies are creepers.

Same.

Oliver North
I'm terrified by how much of this confirms some of the ECHELON-PROMIS conspiracy stuff...

I'm doing a bunch of reading now, it seems like the "consumer as adversary" thing might be rooted in anti-communist McCarthyism, where the state did begin to see its own citizens as potential enemy agents, but that kind of stuff has been around forever (Japanese internment, labor movement of the late 19th century), just maybe not in the same format, and certainly not in the face of the modernization of communication technologies. If I can find more info I might elaborate, just something I'm mulling over in the wake of all this stuff.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.