Verizon's Anti-Net Neutrality Bid

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/09/verizons-bid-to-kill-network-neutrality-law-goes-to-court-monday/

Summary: Federal Communications Commission (FCC) laid down the hammer regarding net neutrality. Basically, Internet Service Provider's (ISPs) are not treating traffic equally. They have adpative routing that slows down Peer to Peer (P2P) traffic (torrents) and services like Netflix (because many cable companies are also ISPs...and clearly, a cable company would not want to enable a competitor to undermine their business operations).

FCC called shenanigans on those dishonest and unfair business practices and pretty much said ISPs have to be network neutral. Meaning, they give no priority to traffic type: either route it all or don't route it.* The violations of this ruling from the FCC would result in fines. This was a major win for the net neutrality folks (you know, regular people like you and I who find unfair business practices that directly harm us, the end consumer, from getting the things we want because big businesses are colluding with each other to shaft the end-consumer to make more money...just bad business and really dumb).

So, the crux of Verizon's argument against the FCC's ruling is thus: forcing them to treat all traffic equal says it is a violation of their first amendment rights.

*Of course, their essential traffic that keeps equipment up or monitors events (such as performane degradation) still gets prioritized, for those IT experts out there about to call foul on my statement.

Oliver North
I don't think these practices would be such a problem if the major ISPs and telecom providers didn't collude to fix policies and prices. I'm actually sympathetic to Verizon's position, so long as the routing is done on their equipment at their expense, well, just because something is a poor business practice doesn't mean it should be illegal. It is only because there is no alternative that doesn't practice the same BS that they can get away with it; people don't have the ability to vote with their feet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.