Intersections between planes/quadric surfaces/vector functions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Throwaway
Hey,

Can anyone refresh me on how to find intersections between 3D curves/objects?

For example:

Intersection between r(t) = t(i) + (2t-t^2)k and z=x^2+y^2.

...additionally, how would you convert a plane from scalar to parametric form? Or do the same for an ellipsoid/etc.?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dolos
I am sorry I'm a little behind on my math but that is to change exponentially soon.

Is this differential calculus/geometry? Or is it super symmetry??

I will making millions just from rewards offered for solving decades unsolved conjectures, whilst memorizing 1 million digits of pi, whilst working as a professor of topological supersymmetry at Harvard.

Then, far enough into the future, I'll sup-up my brain with nano-computers.

Throwaway
The former.

Dolos
Originally posted by Throwaway
The former. So you are just about as far as you can go in mathematics?

Throwaway
...sorry, what?

I'm in high school, lol.

Dolos
That's definitely a weighted course. You've gotta be earning college credits. You don't need much more than basic algebra to earn a diploma here.

Differential geometry encompasses the most advanced aspects of algebra.

Throwaway
OK, thanks to youtube, I sort of figured it out...I think.

Digi
Throwaway's a sock. Probably trying to bait you, Dolos. Or, at the very least, looking in a laughably wrong place for math help.

Lord Lucien
But Astner can solve anything.

rudester
Is this a virgins only thread?

Mindship
Wouldn't intersection between planes be the result of them crashing into one another?

Lord Lucien
oShTJ90fC34

Zampanó
Originally posted by Digi
Throwaway's a sock. Probably trying to bait you, Dolos. Or, at the very least, looking in a laughably wrong place for math help.
I don't know, the math doesn't look that tough. I think it's basically 3rd semester calculus.

throwawaysrs
^that's precisely what it is, lol.

I'm trying to get the whole sock thing sorted out, it's a long story. Please don't report me; the mods are aware of my existence.

I think I figured out plane-plane and quadric-quadric intersections, but if Astner or someone would like to clarify for me...

Mindship
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
oShTJ90fC34 Thank you.

Major_Lexington
Intersections...... big grin

http://global3.memecdn.com/dirty-mind_o_641443.gif

Dolos
Originally posted by rudester
Is this a virgins only thread? Don't you make up homo-erotic stories in the "Last Time You Had Sex" thread?

rudester
Two intersections crossing huh? The only thing i can think of is two lesbians bumping *****.

Dolos
The only thing i can think of is two lesbians bumping *****. Of course. It's you.

rudester
I dont make up stories esp wen it comes down to ex... Who else would it be king...

Zampanó
Originally posted by throwawaysrs
^that's precisely what it is, lol.

I'm trying to get the whole sock thing sorted out, it's a long story. Please don't report me; the mods are aware of my existence.

I think I figured out plane-plane and quadric-quadric intersections, but if Astner or someone would like to clarify for me...
Well plane-plane interactions are going to produce lines.

So, there is going to be some line that satisfies both equations at once. Converting to Cartesian coordinates usually worked for me because I was good with fractions and hate trig.

Spherical is also useful, though? I mean, like, the thing you are learning about was probably taught to you just a couple days ago. Read your notes and go to class!

Dolos
Why did you call my king?

rudester
Nothing dont hurt urself. Back to the topic on hand if 2 + 2 = 4 add t to 4 and u will get 4t, what did u expect me to solve the equation? Besides who does math online in their spair time. I wonder whos bright idea was to create math in the first place after all its just a theory based on someone elses theories that might not even be true. Imagine one person told a lie who then made another person believe it and then the lie spead.

Dolos
2 + 2 = 4 add t to 4 and u will get 4t,

No you get 4 + t and t would be equal to 0.

"don't hurt urself"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.