Drizzt vs. Eragon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jmoul
These are two great warriors in modern literary works of fantasy.

Drizzt, the famed Drow (Dark Elf) ranger, who has forsaken both the home, and the ways of his vile people for those of the goodly races of Toril (his world). He is the most well-known hero of his world, and he is among the greatest swordsman of all-time. Those who see him in full-combat can hardly see his twin scimitars due to his godly speed.

Eragon, the well-known Dragon Rider who *SPOILER ALERT* killed Galbatorix. He is a skilled swordsman, and just as skilled with magic. He is no longer in his homeland, due to his need to train new Riders.

Drizzt's Abilities, Allies, and Equipment:
- Can conjure a sphere of impenetrable darkness
- Infravision: the ability to see into the infrared spectrum, and see heat signatures of enemies and friends alike
- Cloak enemies in non-burning fire (merely to mark them in a crowd)
- Master of stealth, like all drow (He could stick to shadows at noon)
- Master Swordsman, greatest on surface and homeland of Menzoberranzan
- Enchanted Anklets to increase his foot speed
- Twinkle: an elven scimitar that glows blue and gets sharper with the wielder's thoughts
- Thick, forest-green cloak, deflects crossbow bolts
- Longevity of possibly a millennium (standard for his race) unless struck down
- Icingdeath: a mithril scimitar that extinguishes fire and protects the wielder from heat. It is also able to absorb the life-essence of demons (in Drizzt's world)
- Taulmaril the Heart-Seeker: Originally used by his beloved Catti-brie. An immensely powerful, and accurate bow, whose arrows never run out, and, when fired, act as a lightning bolt.
- Guenhwyvar's statue: used to summon a massive, 600lb panther from the Astral Plane.
- Full mithral armor: Mithral is the strongest of metals, and is incredibly difficult to break through.

Eragon's Abilities, Allies, and Equipment:
- The dexterity, speed, keen senses, and strength of an elf
- Strong swordsmanship (but not on the same level as Drizzt)
- Brisingr: an unbreakable blue sword. It is impervious to all wards and magic, however, it doesn't offer the same protection to the wielder.
- Elf-made bow: Eragon does not normally use archery anymore, but he is still accurate when he uses it
- Immortality unless struck down
- Magic: Spoken in the ancient language, enabling the user to accomplish any number of tasks, however, it is taxing to the user's energy, and can prove fatal if used by a reckless caster, but Eragon is not a reckless caster
- Eldunari: the heart of hearts of a dragon, contains the mind, and the energy of the dragon it once belonged to.
- Saphira (no explanation necessary).

Eragon meets Drizzt east of Alagaesia, and they end up in conflict (don't ask why, I'm not that creative). There will be two rounds in this conflict:

1. Saphira and Guenhwyvar are not involved

2. Saphira and Guenhwyvar are involved

Utrigita
Eragon

jmoul
Why?

KingD19
I don't know how fast Drizzt is, but Eragon was seeing humans and dwarves in slow motion, while Elves were slowed down to pretty much the speed at what he used to perceive humans.

jmoul
Drizzt is so fast that when he draws his scimitars, those watching don't even see the motion, the scimitars seem to just appear in Drizzt's hands. Drizzt is essentially just as fast as, if not faster than an elf in Eragon's world. While Drizzt doesn't see people moving in slow motion, but he is still blindingly fast, even to the elves of his world.

jmoul
Also, of all the warriors in Drizzt's universe, only four are even capable of putting up even the slightest of fights. One trained him, two were trained by him, and the fourth was a master human assassin, who had supernatural speed for his race.

jmoul
Anybody else?

Utrigita
Originally posted by jmoul
Why?

Because Drizzt have next to no defense against the magic that Eragon wields, and even though Masoj made a comment about Drizzt having the ability to become a very skilled wizard, Drizzt atm isn't a wizard and as such have to my knowledge atleast, no defense against the 12 words of death from Eragon, that Eragon normally opens most fights against similar opponents with.

jmoul
A fair point. However, I emphasize Drizzt's speed again, Eragon may be able to use the words of death, but he must get them off before Drizzt charges him and dices him up, and very few can do that, even among the elves.

KingD19
Several if the words are single syllables. And he can use all of them without speaking as we'll without fear o draining his magic because he not only has Glaedr's eldunari, but every single one Galbatorix had as well.

Also Eragons speed is legendary as well. Not only was he perceiving the world in slow mo, but he was mount so fast people couldn't keep up with his movements.

Utrigita
^I also think it's fair to assume that while Drizzt is fast, his speed isn't that far above Eragons that Drizzt can cut him down before he reacts, in any way what so ever.

jmoul
I will concede that Eragon is indeed fast, but he was also wary when it came to very powerful foes. He didn't try the death words on Murtagh or Galbatorix, he used them to dispatch the low soldiers quickly so he wouldn't use too much energy early in the battles, and they often failed due to a ward, so the statement that Eragon used the Death Words on the most powerful foes he faced is actually wrong. He knew that the stronger the opponent, the less likely it is that the death words would work.

I will say again, since I don't know how much you know of Drizzt Do'Urden's skill and speed, but he has taken on wizards, liches (undead with immensely powerful magical abilities), a major demon, called a balor, and a dracolich (a dragon, made lich), all fortified with a magical artifact, called Crenshinibon, that not only guided them, but at least doubled their magical abilities. Drizzt is so blindingly fast that even elves have trouble following his motions until the cut has been made. Finally, and this is Drizzt's greatest combative ability, he can fall within himself to become a purely instinctual alter-ego, called the Hunter, where he is able to move, deflect, and strike with perfection, and it even gives him some slight precognition to sense an imminent attack.

KingD19
Eragon didn't use the death words on higher level opponents specifically because they were almost always warded by powerful magic and it would waste more time and energy than he had. Drizzt has no such defense as far as I'm aware. And it would literally take an instant to think of one of the words. Drizzt is fast, but not so fast that he can just blitz Eragon like that.

NemeBro
Drizzt has a fortitude save of +15, **** your save or dies.

Utrigita
Originally posted by jmoul
I will concede that Eragon is indeed fast, but he was also wary when it came to very powerful foes. He didn't try the death words on Murtagh or Galbatorix, he used them to dispatch the low soldiers quickly so he wouldn't use too much energy early in the battles, and they often failed due to a ward, so the statement that Eragon used the Death Words on the most powerful foes he faced is actually wrong. He knew that the stronger the opponent, the less likely it is that the death words would work.

I will say again, since I don't know how much you know of Drizzt Do'Urden's skill and speed, but he has taken on wizards, liches (undead with immensely powerful magical abilities), a major demon, called a balor, and a dracolich (a dragon, made lich), all fortified with a magical artifact, called Crenshinibon, that not only guided them, but at least doubled their magical abilities. Drizzt is so blindingly fast that even elves have trouble following his motions until the cut has been made. Finally, and this is Drizzt's greatest combative ability, he can fall within himself to become a purely instinctual alter-ego, called the Hunter, where he is able to move, deflect, and strike with perfection, and it even gives him some slight precognition to sense an imminent attack.

Eragon tried using the death words against Murtagh even though he knew it most likely wouldn't work, but still he tried because if just one of those wards isn't in place then the opponent dies. So he tries but against Galbatorix one of if not the most powerful magic user in the series, why even bother? Drizzt on the other hand have no wards (that I'm aware of) and as such no means to counter Eragons magic.

I'm well aware of what Drizzt can do, but I also know that with the magic that Eragon wields that is fundemental different from anything Drizzt have encountered, Drizzt chances for winning isn't great. Drizzt might be extremely fast but he can't, imo move faster then Eragon can think and react. I believe that Eragon with the Elf enchantment can keep up with Drizzt, maybe not for a continued amount of time, but atleast long enough to use the words. Had it been a pure swordfight I would have given it to Drizzt given his accomplishments but in a all out battle, where both can use what they want, Drizzt is dead.

jmoul
Very well, I concede at that.

jmoul
I'll have to make another thread without the deathwords allowed to give a more fair fight.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.