Companions of the Hall vs. The Fellowship of the Ring

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jmoul
Two of the best groups of fantasy heroes in literary history.

Companions of the Hall:
- Drizzt Do'Urden - legendary drow ranger, who wields twin scimitars, holds a statue that summons his panther companion, Guenhwyvar, to a battlefield, wears enchanted anklets to speed his footwork to keep up with his already blinding hand speed with his scimitars.
- Bruenor Battlehammer - Eighth, and Tenth King of Mithral Hall. Wields a many-notched axe, each notch representing a kill. While not overly quick, he is still a fierce fighter, making up for his lack of speed with his ferocity
- Catti-Brie - Adopted daughter of Bruenor. Her main weapon of choice is Taulmaril the Heartseeker, a bow which pin-points a target's heart, and, when fired, arrows become like lightning bolts, and the quiver magically refills. She also wields the sword Khazid-hea, also known as Cutter, a sentient sword that has a great desire for blood, and takes control of weak-minded wielders (Catti-brie is not so).
- Wulfgar - Nearly 7' tall Barbarian, and adopted son of Bruenor. He is able to take multiple, small wounds without noticing, and is among the strongest individuals in all of Toril, even lifting opponents (with easily 100lbs on him) over his head with ease. He wields Aegis-fang, an enchanted warhammer forged by Bruenor Battlehammer, if thrown, it will return to his hand upon his mental call.
- Regis Underwood - a hobbit, or Halfling, who isn't much for combat, but wields a small mace and an enchanted ruby which, when spun in front of an enemy, can enthrall them and make them respond with utter loyalty to his commands.

For the Fellowship of the Ring, I don't believe I really need to give a description of each member, since this group is far more well known, but I am leaving Gandalf out of the equation, since it would offer the Fellowship an advantage with magic, as well as numbers:
- Aragorn
- Frodo Baggins
- Samwise Gamgee
- Merry Brandybuck
- Pippin Took
- Legolas
- Gimli
- Boromir

jmoul
Quick Edit:

The Fellowship is the book version, not the movies.

COG Veteran
Not familiar with the Companions but judging by your description, I don't see the Fellowship lasting 2 minutes. I mean a friggin sword that summons panthers!

jmoul
It's a statue, not a sword, but that's all details.

jmoul
Do you think I should've kept Gandalf in this?

COG Veteran
I guess but its only a matter of seconds till one of the Companions shoves him over and breaks his hip.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by COG Veteran
I guess but its only a matter of seconds till one of the Companions shoves him over and breaks his hip. Lol. Gandalf fought a Balrog. Don't let the bushy eyebrows fool you.

COG Veteran
Ah. Forgot the Balrog fight. *faceknife*

Leaning towads Fellowship, only if they have him tho.

Sacred 117
Lol'd my dick off at "*faceknife*". Hahahahahahaha! haermm

jmoul
So what I'm hearing is a general consensus that Gandalf should be in this fight, so screw it...I'll throw him into this just to give the Fellowship a fighting chance.

NemeBro
The thing is that Gandalf is so much more powerful than the rest of the Fellowship that this becomes "Gandalf vs. Companions of the Hall".

He actually might be powerful enough to solo. It would require a fairly powerful spellcaster to take out Gandalf.

Utrigita
This is a rather difficult scenario imo. Either the Companions of the hall rips the Fellowship apart, or the fellowship gets Gandalf and rips the Companions apart. Gandalf from the books was just ... nasty.

ares834
Um. No he wasn't. Unless we are using hypothetical full power Gandalf I see no way that he is soloing this.

Utrigita
If we are actually using the Maia Gandalf, and not the "I'm supposed to help but not interfere to much" Gandalf, imo he can take this. Call it Full power Gandalf if you like.

ares834
Except, we have never seen what he is able to do. It's complete speculation.

But Gandalf, as he is presented in LotR, stands no chance at soloing.

MooCowofJustice
If you're limiting him to that then I think whoever the hell the Companions are have the victory in the fairly mismatched fight. Of course it does seem to be pretty mismatched either way.

Utrigita
Originally posted by ares834
Except, we have never seen what he is able to do. It's complete speculation.

But Gandalf, as he is presented in LotR, stands no chance at soloing.

We have seen what the rest of his race of Maia can do, that should suffice, imo. But to each his own.

Agreed.

jmoul
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
If you're limiting him to that then I think whoever the hell the Companions are have the victory in the fairly mismatched fight. Of course it does seem to be pretty mismatched either way.

Read RA Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt series to find out who they are.

ares834
Originally posted by Utrigita
We have seen what the rest of his race of Maia can do, that should suffice, imo. But to each his own.

Not really. The thing about magic in LotR is that it's typically not all the combat applicable. Yeah, it's powerful but when an army comes for Sauron he surrenders rather than start hurling fireballs. And, later on, Sauron is slain by Elendil and Gil-Galad in direct combat.

NemeBro
Not really. The thing about magic in LotR is that it's typically not all the combat applicable. Yeah, it's powerful but when an army comes for Sauron he surrenders rather than start hurling fireballs. And, later on, Sauron is slain by Elendil and Gil-Galad in direct combat. I'm pretty sure that Sauron solo'd a city by hurling fireballs actually.

Gandalf solo'd a Balrog, a CR20 creature, and he did it while at his weakest.

He ragestomps all over Drizzt and his gang of metrosexuals.

ares834
When? You better not be talking about when he conquered Minas Tirith (not the one in LotR) as it's never stated how he did so.

And Drizzet has solo'd a Balrog knock off before his peak as well. So no, not seeing how this is a rage stomp.

jmoul
And Drizzt* has solo'd a Balrog knock off before his peak as well. So no, not seeing how this is a rage stomp.

I'm going to be fair, Drizzt solo's that Balrog knock off (named Errtu) the first time by tricking him and striking right before the demon saw through his deceptions. The second time he fought Errtu, he had help from the other companions because the demon expected him, and the fight wasn't nearly as easy. So he never actually solo'ed Errtu in full combat.

ares834
Been awhile since I read the books? But how did Drizzt trick him?

All I remember is his one scimitar, Icingdeath, allowed him to survive the flames (shocking both of them) and proved to be "super effective". And it was full combat.

As for the second time, Errtu had the incredibly powerful Crystal Shard.

jmoul
Drizzt called to Errtu, sitting behind the drawn the enchanted circle to repel Errtu. Then he claimed that the drow wanted to make a pact with Errtu to cause more chaos on the surface. Errtu started to buy it until he found the Mielikki scrimshaw necklace Drizzt was wearing. Errtu was distracted until then, and Drizzt then stabbed him with Icingdeath.

So Drizzt did trick him temporarily, but it was more to give Errtu hesitation, and thus give Drizzt any opening he could find.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.