Pokemon XD team Challenge

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jmoul
Like my dreamteam thread. This is my best team from Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. All my team is level 100s again. Battles will be in the double battle format of Pokemon XD. Legendaries are allowed in this thread. List your best teams for this challenge. Remember, this is a team you must have actually gotten in any version
My team is as follows:

Jolteon (Magnet, Max Speed and Spec. Attack)
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Pin Missle
Double Kick

Houndoom (Charcoal, Max Spec. Attack and Spec. Defense)
Flamethrower
Overheat
Faint Attack
Crunch

Lugia - (Sharp Beak, Max Spec. Attack and Attack)
Psychic
Aeroblast
Shadow Ball
Ice Beam

Walrien (Nevermeltice, Max Spec. Attack and Speed)
Body Slam
Ice Beam
Blizzard
Hydro Pump

Dragonite (Dragon Fang, Max Attack and Spec. Defense)
Dragon Claw
Hyper Beam
Body Slam
Outrage

Tyranitar (Hard Stone, Max Attack and Defense)
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Crunch

Give your best double battle team and give good, fair analysis.

Good Luck.

Edit: Please try to limit the number of legendaries to two or three at most.

MooCowofJustice
I only really need three Pokemon.

Regigigas
Adamant, Leftovers
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP.
-Crush Grip
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch / Brick Break

Whimsicott
Modest, holding Focus Sash. Ability is Prankster
252 Spe, 252 SpA, 6 HP
-Worry Seed
-Leech Seed / Tailwind
-Grass Knot / Energy Ball
-Hurricane

Slaking
Adamant, Leftovers
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP
-Giga Impact
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Fire Punch

So Slaking and Regigigas are pretty much the same thing. But either works well. With these damn near unfair stats, the only thing holding these two back is their ability. Worry Seed works for sure on Slow Start, and I'm pretty sure it does work for Truant, but I may be wrong. Either way Slaking will still be dangerous.

Beyond this, any Pokemon I can use are simply a bonus.

jmoul
Are those stats (except HP) showing the EVs or are they showing actual stats?

I am Vegeta
This is my new team of level 100s
aerodactyl
Aerial ace
Stone edge
Earthquake
Ice Fang

Gyarados
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Waterfall
Ice Fang

Alakazam
Psychic
Recover
Signal Beam
Calm Mind

Scizor
Swords Dance
Night Slash
Bug Bite
Aerial Ace

Hitmonchan
Mach Punch
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Drain Punch

Lucario
Dark Pulse
Ice Punch
Aura Sphere
earthquake

jmoul
Here's how I see it going, I lead with Lugia and Jolteon.

You use Whimsicott and Regigigas.

I'm not sure how fast Whimsicott is, so I'll assume Jolteon outruns him. Jolteon hits your Regi with double kick, which will take out a good amount of damage. Lugia hits Whimsicott with Aeroblast, leaving it hanging by a thread. Regigigas uses Earthquake to take out Jolteon, but without a STABed attack, it only takes a little over half of his HP, and it also hits Whimsicott, taking him out. You then send out Slaking. I use Double Kick again to steadily sap Regigigas's HP, which now has about 1/2 left. I then use Aeroblast on Slaking, at least 1/3 of his HP. Next, you use Crush Grip on Lugia, and Earthquake to take out Jolteon. I then use Dragonite. Your Regigigas takes some damage from Earthquake as well. Dragonite Dragon Claws Regigigas, likely taking out the last of his HP, but to be sure, Lugia uses Psychic to take him out. Slaking is now on his Loafing Around turn. I then use an Outrage, then an Aeroblast to finish this match.

NOTE: This is assuming that you do just as I want you to. This is up for other reviews.

jmoul
Nice team Vegeta, give me time to analyze that one.

I am Vegeta
Originally posted by jmoul
Nice team Vegeta, give me time to analyze that one. Thanks just completed it 2 days ago

I am Vegeta
Still waiting on that analysis

jmoul
Originally posted by I am Vegeta
This is my new team of level 100s
aerodactyl
Aerial ace
Stone edge
Earthquake
Ice Fang

Gyarados
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Waterfall
Ice Fang

Alakazam
Psychic
Recover
Signal Beam
Calm Mind

Scizor
Swords Dance
Night Slash
Bug Bite
Aerial Ace

Hitmonchan
Mach Punch
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Drain Punch

Lucario
Dark Pulse
Ice Punch
Aura Sphere
earthquake

I'll assume you use Aerodactyl and Gyrados first, then I'll go from there. With Lugia and Jolteon, dealing with these two shouldn't be too tough, I'll have Jolteon use Thunder on Gyrados and Lugia will use Ice Beam on Aerodactyl. Gyrados faints, but, since Lugia isn't using a STABed attack, Aerodactyl survives. You send out Scizor, and have Aerodactyl use Stone Edge on Lugia. The STABed, Super Effective attack leaves Lugia hanging on with about 1/3 of his HP maximum. I then have Jolteon use Thunderbolt on Aerodactyl, taking out the rest of his HP. In response, you send out Lucario, and use Night Slash on Lugia, taking him out. So I send out Houndoom. Jolteon Double Kicks Lucario, which does a large amount of damage. Houndoom uses Flamethrower on Scizor, which is a one-shot due to the STABed, quad-effective attack, so you send out Hitmonchan next. Lucario uses Earthquake to hit both Houndoom and Jolteon, at least halves Houndoom's HP and finishes Jolteon, it also takes 1/4 of Himonchan's HP. I send out Walrien. Walrien uses Blizzard, which hits Lucario , which takes it down to about 1/3 HP, and leaves Hitmonchan with only 1/4 HP Houndoom uses Flamethrower on Lucario, taking out what's left of his HP. You send Alakazam out, and Hitmonchan uses Drain Punch on Houndoom, taking him out. So I send out Dragonite. Alakazam uses Calm Mind. Dragonite uses Dragon Claw on Hitmonchan, taking out the last of his HP. I then have Walrien use Ice Beam on Alakazam, taking out 1/3 of his HP. You use Recover. I have Dragonite use Outrage, which takes out 1/3 of the HP. I then have Walrien Body Slam Alakazam, paralyzing him and leaving him with 1/4 of his HP. With Alakazam's Paralysis, I win with an Outrage.

jmoul
Still waiting on that analysis

Sorry it took so long, had to research those pokemon I wasn't as familiar with.

I am Vegeta
Sorry it took so long, had to research those pokemon I wasn't as familiar with. Its ok but I would never send out gyarados and aerodactyl first I would send Scizor and Alakazam first. Also Im pretty sure my scizor is faster than your jolteon so it would attack first cause in your analysis my scizor didnt even attack even though it was faster.

I am Vegeta
Also my gyrados would survive it lasted 3 thunderbolts from a level 100 raichoo also I dont think double kick would do very much to lucario.

jmoul
How about a Thunder from a Level 100 Jolteon?

I am Vegeta
How about a Thunder from a Level 100 Jolteon? Im sure he can take it after all he did beat a 100 zapdos

jmoul
Well damn.

Would you mind giving your own analysis of your team vs. mine?

I am Vegeta
If I were to establish victories on a 1 on 1 scale here is how I would see it.

Jolteon would lose to maybe gyarados, aerodactyl, maybe Scizor, Hitmonchan and Lucario
Houndoom would lose to gyarados, aerodactyl, maybe Hitmonchan and Lucario
Lugia not sure on this one not familiar with this one
Walrien not sure on this one not familiar with this one
Dragonite maybe gyarados, aerodactyl, maybe Hitmonchan and Lucario
Tyranitar would lose to Gyarados, aerodactyl and not absolutely sure though

But im not sure exactly with your pokemon though need to do some research.

MooCowofJustice
Are those stats (except HP) showing the EVs or are they showing actual stats?

Those are merely EVs.

Whimsicott is indeed slower than Jolteon, but Prankster gives priority to non-damaging moves, in this case, Worry Seed. Meaning you now have to contend with a Full Powered Regigigas, and Whimsicott's job is done, so I will readily kill him at my leisure. However, if you've lead with Lugia and Jolteon, I won't attack with Earthquake. I'm going for Lugia, and with Crush Grip STAB'd off of my massive attack, I can kill that thing in two turns. Jolteon's double kick may as well be worthless, because Regigigas is incredibly bulky. Off of Jolteon's rather poor attack stat, a lowly 60 BP move won't do much, super effective or not. So in this scenario, you have more or less wasted your turn. In addition, if I had used EQ, that Jolteon has lost a hell of a lot more than half it's HP. Your Jolteon is horrendously dead.

But I went immediately for Lugia, so as I said: first turn, Crush Grip. If you directed both attacks at Whimsicott, he will die. If you didn't, I'm Leech Seeding your Lugia. And after that, I will Thunder Punch it. This should easily kill it. But by then Whimsicott should be dead, if not, Regigigas may be getting close, if he isn't already.

Regardless, next turn you have to switch something in. What is it? Your options are already severely limited. With your remaining team, the best option you have is Dragonite, who is the only person with any resistances to my moves. I expect to kill him in two turns as well, with a maximum of three, unless you can kill my Regigigas before then. After that, damn near everything on your team is in major trouble. Houndoom might be a good choice for some damage to my Regigigas. But it might not kill him, depending on if you took out Whimsicott or not. And if you don't kill my Regigigas, I'll probably kill your Jolteon and him with an Earthquake.

So after these first few turns, Lugia is gone, your biggest gun, as well as the possibility of your Jolteon and Houndoom. I still have mine, and three Pokemon that I haven't even decided on at this point.

ares834
Did some quick cals.

An outraging Dragonite is guaranteed to 2HKO Regigigas. Furthermore, at best, Regigigas will 3HKO Lugia with Crush Grip/Thunder punch. Also, Regi will want to earthquake right away as Jolteon can take out large chunks of Regi's health with Thunder.

ares834
Im sure he can take it after all he did beat a 100 zapdos

lol no

Jolteon's thunderbolt is a guaranteed OHKO against Gyarados.

Also Im pretty sure my scizor is faster than your jolteon so it would attack first cause in your analysis my scizor didnt even attack even though it was faster.

lol no

Jolteon is twice as fast as Scizor.

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by ares834
Did some quick cals.

An outraging Dragonite is guaranteed to 2HKO Regigigas. Furthermore, at best, Regigigas will 3HKO Lugia with Crush Grip/Thunder punch. Also, Regi will want to earthquake right away as Jolteon can take out large chunks of Regi's health with Thunder.

You are assuming general and more commonplace builds for these Pokemon. He has given no indication of EV investment, natures, IVs, and the like.

He didn't call Thunder. He called Double Kick.

ares834
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
You are assuming general and more commonplace builds for these Pokemon. He has given no indication of EV investment, natures, IVs, and the like.

I went off the natures/EV's you gave. Although I, admittedly, assumed jmoul's.

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
He didn't call Thunder. He called Double Kick.

In that case it does like 5-10%... lol

MooCowofJustice
Probably more actually. Based on his last thread I don't know that he knows exactly how high his stats can actually be. He said in his last thread that he had all of his Pokemon's stats maxed, because he had fed them all their maximum number of Proteins, Calciums and all that. Which means more along the lines of an even 100 EVs to every stat.

I am Vegeta
lol no

Jolteon's thunderbolt is a guaranteed OHKO against Gyarados.

No it isnt my Gyarados has survived worse than a jolteons thunder

ares834
No it isnt my Gyarados has survived worse than a jolteons thunder

You're wrong. It hasn't. Gyarados is 4X weak to lightning attacks. If you do the calcs Jolteon is going to do well over 100% to Gyarados even if it isn't properly EV trained.

I am Vegeta
You're wrong. It hasn't. Gyarados is 4X weak to lightning attacks. If you do the calcs Jolteon is going to do well over 100% to Gyarados even if it isn't properly EV trained. No im right my gyarados has it survived whether you like it or not. hell Jmoul's Typholsion was able to withstand a level 100 blastoise Hydro pump and some other person cant remember name metapod beat arceus so your wrong again.

The Scenario
Ooh, doubles. I got one. I usually limit these to a team of 4, as the PWT does, so I'd have to add a couple for a full team. That might hurt me.

The Fearsome four

Gliscor (Swoopula)
Jolly w/Flying Gem, Sand Veil
252 Attack/rest split between Defense and Speed
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Things to note: Gliscor is always paired with Rotom to begin, but also has synergy with Metagross. With its Flying/Ground typing it is immune to Rotom's Discharge and Metagross' Earthquake, which allows for some devastating dual attacks. Gliscor typically holds a Flying Gem, which it uses to fuel a superpowered Acrobatics on anything that particularly needs to die.

Heat Rotom (Wisp)
Modest w/Electric Gem, Levitate
252 HP/252 Sp.Atk
-Thunder Wave
-Overheat
-Discharge
-Protect

Things to note: I often switch between Heat Rotom (Overheat) and Wash Rotom (Hydro Pump) depending on what I think I'm up against. If I don't know, I default to Heat. In any case, Rotom has some degree of synergy with everyone on the team, being immune to Earthquakes from Gliscor and Metagross, as well as being unable to hurt Gliscor and Gastrodon with Discharge. Speaking of which, the Electric Gem it holds typically ensures that first Earthquake/Discharge combo really hurts.

Gastrodon (Chu)
Bold w/Zoom Lens, Storm Drain
252 HP/252 Defense
-Icy Wind
-Muddy Water/Surf
-Recover
-Protect

Things to note: Gastrodon's synergy is typically with Rotom and Metagross, being immune to Discharge and able to Protect on an Earthquake, but it can also defend Gliscor by mere presence on the field. Its Icy Wind is not intended to damage, but instead slow the opponent for its teammates to finish off. Similarly, Muddy Water is used to lower the opponents accuracy, and any damage it deals is just a bonus (though if damage is required, I may run Surf instead, using Protect to prevent friendly fire.) Recover, naturally, makes it difficult to permanently kill (Gliscor's Acrobatics is actually aimed at eliminating the Grass types that threaten Gastrodon, though Rotom can do so as well.)

Gastrodon's ability Storm Drain lets it absorb Water type moves used in battle. If you try to Hydro Pump Gliscor or Rotom, Gastrodon can switch with either to absorb the attack.

Metagross (Quadraxis)
Adamant w/Brightpowder, Clear Body
252 HP/252 Attack
-Bullet Punch
-Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Protect

Things to note: This Metagross is a jerk. It can be paired with Gliscor for a Rock Slide/Earthquake combo, or with Rotom for Overheat/Earthquake (or Discharge/Protect), depending on which is defeated first. Typically, however, it goes with Gastrodon to enjoy the accuracy drop Muddy Water brings in addition to the ultimate annoyance that is Brightpowder. Metagross also serves to defend Gliscor from Ice attacks, switching into a resisted Ice Beam and firing back with Meteor Mash (though it is sometimes replaced with Zen Headbutt for the odd Earthquake immune Poison type.)

Secondary team members:

Toxicroak
Adamant w/fluctuating item (never found a great item for him, sometimes Life Orb, sometime a Type Gem, maybe Black Sludge), Dry Skin
252 Attack/252 Speed
-Sucker Punch
-Drain Punch
-Fake Out
-Protect

Things to note: Not a whole lot of synergy with the rest of the team, though he is immune to Surf whenever Gastrodon runs it. He likes to harass with Fake Out and Sucker Punch, possibly regaining HP with Drain Punch. He needs to Protect whenever another member uses a spread attack, but is otherwise a good revenge killer and his priority can stop a speedy sweeper in its tracks.

Ambipom
Adamant w/Normal Gem, Technician
252 Attack/252 Speed
-Fake Out
-Double Hit
-Pursuit
-Protect

Things to note: Ambipom has even less synergy, but hits harder than Toxicroak with his Fake Out. Boosted by Technician and Normal Gem, it makes for a devastating first blow and prevents one opponent from attacking. Double Hit is only boosted by Technician, but it hits fairly hard, twice. Pursuit is also Technician boosted and hits Psychic type hard, possibly trapping them. Like everyone else, he can Protect on an ally's spread move.

That's more or less it. Toxicroak and Ambipom aren't part of the team proper, but can function as alternate leads or revenge killers. This team could also function as a decent Sandstorm team, so I could throw my Hippowdon onto it, though I didn't. Looking at your team, I'm not certain I can win, though doubles are quite difficult to predict.

Nephthys
My Metapod is more along the lines of a Metagod. cool

Edit: Scenario's team looks like it'll beat jmouls one fairly easily.

ares834
No im right my gyarados has it survived whether you like it or not. hell Jmoul's Typholsion was able to withstand a level 100 blastoise Hydro pump and some other person cant remember name metapod beat arceus so your wrong again.

lol

0 SpA Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 444-528 (125.77 - 149.57%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You are wrong.

And just because a metapod can beat an Arceus doesn't mean Gyarados will survive a thunderbolt from Jolteon. Plus I didn't even account for the fact that jmoul claims his Jolteon has max SpA and magnet.

Nephthys
The metapod thing was a joke.

Also iirc I changed it to magikarp.

ares834
You'd be surprised. There are videos of Magikarps sweeping entire teams of ubers and, of course, you have FEAR Rattata who can take out pretty much any pokemon on its own.

The Scenario
A Jolteon with 0 EVs in Special Attack and no item, against a stupidly special defensive Gyarados with a Sp.Def increasing nature is still putting that Gyarados in red health. The addition of a Magnet nets an 87% chance to KO. It's certainly possible in game against a lower level opponent, but what's being described is definitely impossible from what we know.

Perhaps if we had more information? What game did this happen in, what were the levels and Pokemon involved, and so on? Natures, if applicable?

jmoul
I researched all the stats of my team, and I made sure that the ones I gave as being maxed-out were the absolute max they could go. That includes 252 EVs for every stat, also, all of their other stats are damn near being at their absolute max. So the argument that my Jolteon would be unable to beat a Gyrados with a single Thunder, with a Magnet and a STAB, is completely false (sorry Vegeta).

As for Scenario's team, while I've never taken on a Gastrodon or any type of Rotom, I think I could manage pretty easily, especially with my XD team. I'll analyze your team more thoroughly tomorrow, because I'm really feeling lazy right now.

Wei Phoenix
So basically these threads are about Jmoul posting a team, you all post your team that can beat it and then he writes a scenario telling you how you're going to play and he's going to win, then you both debate who's right?

Nephthys
No, its a thread about the rise of the Metagod. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-colbert.gif

The Scenario
I just wanted to compare teams. It's interesting to see what everyone is using.

Cyner
A secondary team, for your approval.

Gyarados: Naughty/Intimidate
strength
surf
whirlpool
icefang

Weavile: Jolly/Pressure
Screech
Night Slash
Ice Shard
Swords Dance

Ursaring: Adamant/Guts - Item - Flame Orb
Slash
Faint Attack
Swords Dance
Earthquake

Kingdra: Bashful/Swift Swim
Hydropump
Smokescreen
Dragon Pulse
Brine

Feraligator: Adamant/Torrent
Rock Climb
Avalanche
Waterfall
Crunch

Honchcrow: Docile/Super Luck
Fly
Night Shade
Brave Bird
Faint Attack

jmoul
Originally posted by The Scenario
Ooh, doubles. I got one. I usually limit these to a team of 4, as the PWT does, so I'd have to add a couple for a full team. That might hurt me.

The Fearsome four

Gliscor (Swoopula)
Jolly w/Flying Gem, Sand Veil
252 Attack/rest split between Defense and Speed
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Things to note: Gliscor is always paired with Rotom to begin, but also has synergy with Metagross. With its Flying/Ground typing it is immune to Rotom's Discharge and Metagross' Earthquake, which allows for some devastating dual attacks. Gliscor typically holds a Flying Gem, which it uses to fuel a superpowered Acrobatics on anything that particularly needs to die.

Heat Rotom (Wisp)
Modest w/Electric Gem, Levitate
252 HP/252 Sp.Atk
-Thunder Wave
-Overheat
-Discharge
-Protect

Things to note: I often switch between Heat Rotom (Overheat) and Wash Rotom (Hydro Pump) depending on what I think I'm up against. If I don't know, I default to Heat. In any case, Rotom has some degree of synergy with everyone on the team, being immune to Earthquakes from Gliscor and Metagross, as well as being unable to hurt Gliscor and Gastrodon with Discharge. Speaking of which, the Electric Gem it holds typically ensures that first Earthquake/Discharge combo really hurts.

Gastrodon (Chu)
Bold w/Zoom Lens, Storm Drain
252 HP/252 Defense
-Icy Wind
-Muddy Water/Surf
-Recover
-Protect

Things to note: Gastrodon's synergy is typically with Rotom and Metagross, being immune to Discharge and able to Protect on an Earthquake, but it can also defend Gliscor by mere presence on the field. Its Icy Wind is not intended to damage, but instead slow the opponent for its teammates to finish off. Similarly, Muddy Water is used to lower the opponents accuracy, and any damage it deals is just a bonus (though if damage is required, I may run Surf instead, using Protect to prevent friendly fire.) Recover, naturally, makes it difficult to permanently kill (Gliscor's Acrobatics is actually aimed at eliminating the Grass types that threaten Gastrodon, though Rotom can do so as well.)

Gastrodon's ability Storm Drain lets it absorb Water type moves used in battle. If you try to Hydro Pump Gliscor or Rotom, Gastrodon can switch with either to absorb the attack.

Metagross (Quadraxis)
Adamant w/Brightpowder, Clear Body
252 HP/252 Attack
-Bullet Punch
-Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Protect

Things to note: This Metagross is a jerk. It can be paired with Gliscor for a Rock Slide/Earthquake combo, or with Rotom for Overheat/Earthquake (or Discharge/Protect), depending on which is defeated first. Typically, however, it goes with Gastrodon to enjoy the accuracy drop Muddy Water brings in addition to the ultimate annoyance that is Brightpowder. Metagross also serves to defend Gliscor from Ice attacks, switching into a resisted Ice Beam and firing back with Meteor Mash (though it is sometimes replaced with Zen Headbutt for the odd Earthquake immune Poison type.)

Secondary team members:

Toxicroak
Adamant w/fluctuating item (never found a great item for him, sometimes Life Orb, sometime a Type Gem, maybe Black Sludge), Dry Skin
252 Attack/252 Speed
-Sucker Punch
-Drain Punch
-Fake Out
-Protect

Things to note: Not a whole lot of synergy with the rest of the team, though he is immune to Surf whenever Gastrodon runs it. He likes to harass with Fake Out and Sucker Punch, possibly regaining HP with Drain Punch. He needs to Protect whenever another member uses a spread attack, but is otherwise a good revenge killer and his priority can stop a speedy sweeper in its tracks.

Ambipom
Adamant w/Normal Gem, Technician
252 Attack/252 Speed
-Fake Out
-Double Hit
-Pursuit
-Protect

Things to note: Ambipom has even less synergy, but hits harder than Toxicroak with his Fake Out. Boosted by Technician and Normal Gem, it makes for a devastating first blow and prevents one opponent from attacking. Double Hit is only boosted by Technician, but it hits fairly hard, twice. Pursuit is also Technician boosted and hits Psychic type hard, possibly trapping them. Like everyone else, he can Protect on an ally's spread move.

That's more or less it. Toxicroak and Ambipom aren't part of the team proper, but can function as alternate leads or revenge killers. This team could also function as a decent Sandstorm team, so I could throw my Hippowdon onto it, though I didn't. Looking at your team, I'm not certain I can win, though doubles are quite difficult to predict.

Okay, for this analysis, I'm using XD battle rules: surf does not do damage to your side, but still hurts both on the opponent's side, earthquake, however, does damage to everybody except the user. Next, since you have the fearsome foursome against six, I will include your alternates in this one.

I will lead with Jolteon and Houndoom. You lead with Metagross and Heat Rotom. To start, I have Jolteon use Thunder on Metagross, since he is my biggest threat with his Earthquake and his Meteor Mash, so I will want to take him out quickly. Houndoom follows that with a Flamethrower on Metagross, which cuts a great deal of health, if not making Metagross faint (I'll leave him alive). You have Heat Rotom use protect, and Metagross uses Earthquake, nearly wiping out both Houndoom and Jolteon. Now use thunder on Heat Rotom and Flamethrower on Metagross, so Metagross faints, and Heat Rotom loses 1/4 of his health at least. Next, you send out Gliscor, out of spite. Heat Rotom uses thunder wave to paralyze Houndoom. Next, you have Rotom use Protect while Gliscor Earthquakes both Jolteon and Houndoom out of the match. I send out Walrien and Lugia. This turn, Lugia uses Ice Beam on Gliscor, while it's not STABed, it does significant damage. You have Gliscor use Rock Slide, which cuts about 1/3 of both Walrien's and Lugia's HP each. Walrien now uses Blizzard, this hits both Rotom and Gliscor. This takes Rotom's HP down to 1/2 and takes out Gliscor. You send out Ambipom. Rotom uses Overheat on Lugia, which takes out another 1/4 of Lugia's HP, but cuts his own Sp. Attack. I have Lugia use Aeroblast on Ambipom, which takes at least 1/3 of his HP. You have Rotom use thunder wave on Lugia, trying to slow down my tank. Ambipom uses fake out on Walrien, he flinches. Rotom uses Discharge, which takes Lugia down to 1/4 of his HP, and Walrien down to 1/5 of his HP. You use Pursuit on Lugia, a weak attack in the first place, without a STAB, only takes Lugia to 1/6 HP left. Now Walrien uses Hydro Pump on Rotom, taking him out. You send Gastrodon. I have Lugia use Psychic on Ambipom, taking out the rest of his HP. You then send out Toxicroak. Gastrodon uses Icy Wind (hits both), further slowing Walrien, and taking out Lugia. I send out Tyranitar. I have Walrien use Blizzard again, taking 1/3 of Gastrodon's HP, and 1/4 of Toxicroak's. Toxicroak uses fake out on Tyranitar, but it does very little damage. Gastrodon uses Muddy Water, taking 1/4 of Tyranitar's HP, and makes Walrien faint. I send Dragonite out. Now, I have Tyranitar use Earthquake, which has no effect on Dragonite, but nearly wipes-out Toxicroak. It takes out another 1/3 of Gastrodon's HP. Dragonite uses Dragon Claw on Toxicroak, taking him out. Gastrodon uses Icy Wind for the Super effective attack on both. Now I have Tyranitar use Rock Slide, and Dragonite uses Outrage, taking out Gastrodon.

jmoul
Originally posted by Cyner
A secondary team, for your approval.

Gyarados: Naughty/Intimidate
strength
surf
whirlpool
icefang

Weavile: Jolly/Pressure
Screech
Night Slash
Ice Shard
Swords Dance

Ursaring: Adamant/Guts - Item - Flame Orb
Slash
Faint Attack
Swords Dance
Earthquake

Kingdra: Bashful/Swift Swim
Hydropump
Smokescreen
Dragon Pulse
Brine

Feraligator: Adamant/Torrent
Rock Climb
Avalanche
Waterfall
Crunch

Honchcrow: Docile/Super Luck
Fly
Night Shade
Brave Bird
Faint Attack

I'd say that this would be relatively easily with Houndoom and Jolteon, although Ursaring would be difficult without any strong super effective attacks for him. But a few thunders and a few flamethrowers would take it out.

The Scenario
Rotom has Levitate, so it's immune to Earthquake. No need to use Protect there. It's why I like to pair Rotom with Gliscor, as they're immune to each other's spread STAB attacks. Dat Earthquake/Discharge combo attack.

Nephthys
Yeah, not sure why jmoul assumed you'd start with Metagross (other than to be self-serving). Gliscor would probably one-shot both Jolteon and Houndoom if Scenario led with him.

jmoul
Originally posted by The Scenario
Rotom has Levitate, so it's immune to Earthquake. No need to use Protect there. It's why I like to pair Rotom with Gliscor, as they're immune to each other's spread STAB attacks. Dat Earthquake/Discharge combo attack.

So you start with Rotom and Gliscor, then yes, Jolteon and Houndoom might only take one shot of Earthquake, however, I wouldn't underestimate them, these two have survived much worse before. So I use Crunch on Gliscor and I have Jolteon use thunder on Rotom, hoping to make Gliscor flinch and take out as much of Rotom's HP as possible. This is also assuming that Jolteon and Houndoom are both faster than Gliscor and Rotom, or that there won't be a double one-shot with Earthquake.

Nephthys
Gliscor is likely faster than Houndoom. They have the same base speed but you said you focused on Sp. Att + Def for him while Scenario boosted speed.

Also Rotom resists electric so you won't be doing much damage there.

jmoul
^ Embarrassment like this is what I get for not playing any versions past 3rd generation as much as I played the originals.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
my team:

arceus
deoxys-A
zekrom
ho-oh
mewtwo
palkia

stick out tongue

jmoul
All legendaries...nice. Didn't I ask people in the OP to limit the number of legendaries to 2 or 3 at most? Also, need movesets.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
i'll just use my 3 legendaries against your entire team:

Arceus with Zap Plate
Recover
Judgement
Calm Mind
ice beam

palkia
spacial rend
hydro pump
Thunder
Rain Dance

Deoxys-A
Psycho Boost
Focus Blast
Calm Mind
dark pulse

jmoul
All level 100s? Also what abilities do they all have (haven't played with Arceus or Palkia in a while, and never got Deoxys-A)

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
all lvl 100's

arceus- multitype
palkia- pressure
deoxys- pressure

jmoul

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Deoxys is much faster than any of your pokemon, that I guarantee. That said, he'd oneshot almost all your pokemon with his insane spec. atk. Example: my Deoxys would one-shot walrein with focus blast easily. He'd also one-shot Tyranitar, houndoom, Jolteon, and Dragonite. Lugia would be two-shotted by dark pulse.

The Scenario
So you start with Rotom and Gliscor, then yes, Jolteon and Houndoom might only take one shot of Earthquake, however, I wouldn't underestimate them, these two have survived much worse before. So I use Crunch on Gliscor and I have Jolteon use thunder on Rotom, hoping to make Gliscor flinch and take out as much of Rotom's HP as possible. This is also assuming that Jolteon and Houndoom are both faster than Gliscor and Rotom, or that there won't be a double one-shot with Earthquake.

Crunch has a chance of lowering Sp. Def (in 3rd gen) or Def (past 4th), not flinch. Might be confusing it with Bite.

Hm, there's something to consider. Past gen 4 is the Physical/Special split, so if we're using XD rules attacks would still be physical or special based on type. So Crunch is still a special attack.

ares834

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
don't even bother with that. My Deoxys would one-shot most, if not all of his pokemon.

jmoul
Okay, even if you have a massive Attack and Speed Stat with Deoxys, he doesn't have a STABed attack, and, in his Attack form, I saw on bulbapedia that his speed was not higher than Jolteon at least, even if maxed out. I know his speed would be much higher if he were in Speed Form.

For Palkia, Dragon is not resistant to Electric attacks, so Thunder is still super effective, and it is likely to at least half his HP.

The reason for inaccuracies in the legendaries analysis is due to the lack of those Stats that are maxed out, or the lack of stats completely, although I admit that I failed to give every stat for my team.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Um, Deoxys-a's base speed is 150. Jolteon's is 130. Deoxys-a is faster. Plus the fact he has 437 spec. atk, im pretty sure he'd one-shot most of your pokemon. Dragon is resistant to electric attacks. Look it up.

jmoul
My Jolteon's speed stats are at 390 total. So it is hard to imagine Deoxys being much faster than that. I have fought link battles in XD with this team, and even against Deoxys (were no attack forms of Deoxys). He outran him unless it had agility Baton-Passed to him. Also, Houndoom has taken a cross chop from a Machamp with maxed attack and a Baton-Passed Swords Dance and that was with a STAB. So, Deoxys one-shots everybody on my team? Not likely

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Deoxys has 410 speed for me...

i'm pretty sure 437 spec. attack deoxys-a can one-shot most of your team. I'd have to do calcs, but I highly doubt you'd survive a focus blast from my Deoxys. Even then my Palkia would one-shot tyranitar with hydro pump, and Dragonite with spacial rend.

jmoul
I didn't doubt that Palkia could OHKO Tyranitar, nor do I doubt Spacial Rend would OHKO Dragonite after seeing his Special Attack stats, but what makes you think that I'd send out Dragonite without having taken out Palkia in the first place?

Does Focus Blast play off the Spec. Attack? I thought that all fighting moves were physical.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
What makes you think you can take out Palkia so easily?

Focus blast= Spec. Atk. Pretty sure that and Aura Sphere are the only fighting spec. attacks.

The Scenario
We're mixing mechanics here.

In Gen 3 and before, and therefore Pokemon XD, moves were designated Physical or Special based on their type. All Fighting moves were Physical, and all Fire moves (even Fire Punch and Blaze Kick) were Special, for example.

However, in Gen 4 and beyond this was changed so that individual moves could be Physical or Special. So yeah, now Fire Punch is a Physical Fire move, but it was actually considered Special in all generations before 4th.

Since Focus Blast is a Gen 4 move, it was made with the Physical/Special split in mind, so it was created Special. However, under XD's rules, if Focus Blast existed then it would have been Physical just like all Fighting moves.

jmoul
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
What makes you think you can take out Palkia so easily?

Focus blast= Spec. Atk. Pretty sure that and Aura Sphere are the only fighting spec. attacks.

I've easily beaten Palkia when I battled against one of my friends on Platinum (using another friend's Platinum team since I don't own games after 3rd gen). I was able to one-shot Palkia (granted it wasn't level 100) with a Thunder from a Luxuray (also wasn't level 100).

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I bet that Palkia didn't have max spec. defense/max spec. atk. wink

jmoul
It didn't, especially since it wasn't level 100.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
exactly.

jmoul
But, to be fair the Luxuray wasn't at level 100 either, he didn't have maxed-out Special Attack, and he wasn't holding a Magnet, granted Luxuray and Jolteon have different Special Attack Stats. Point is, those other factors come into play as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.