How much will personal genetic modification cost?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dolos
Is there anyone who know anything about the field of bio-medical research? We already know what stem cell research is capable of biologically immortality and designer DnA replacement cells but it was banned by the US congress which pisses me off. But bio-medical nanorobitics provides even more in depth alteration of DnA. All we're missing is the completion human genome project and the brain initiative (respectively) and the sky's the limit.

But what if doctors could do more than just treat disabilities, would if they could enhance, a super-plastic surgery if you will, our bodies and minds - how much is that?

Symmetric Chaos
Personal genetic modification will cost exactly $23.51.

Dolos
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Personal genetic modification will cost exactly $23.51. Yea right!

Plastic surgery already costs hundreds of thousands, it's really up to how much the MDs wanna price-gouge, ain't it?

Dolos
Seriously, any thoughts? The HGP is all about getting a complete map of practically every molecule in a human body and how each of them interact and create a whole functioning adult. The Brain Initiative is about every electric impulse in every synapse and how that all works together, and really gives a lot more info about what consciousness really is.

The nanites of course go in through the blood stream directed by these genome and cognome maps and rearrange dna strands or molecules or transmutates them so you transform one human being into an entirely different human being if the true limits were to be put the test, you could have a bunch of Geo-political supermen running around miraculously pulling a nations out of dept. Really you could rearrange a lump of coal into a diamond, mass produce all kinds of shit basically for free.

This tech could be used for an advanced Utopian society, or Dystopian society, for genocidal technology, etc. We know everyone is talking about it, and it's really becoming conflicting for me. I really don't see the point in doing anything pertaining for the future, when I'm 60 or 70 I don't know what the world might be like because everywhere, even on Sunday Morning and NPR everyone who knows anything about emerging tech. says it's precisely 2050. All of them.

Dolos
Moreover, a surplus of solar-thermal-fluid-catalytic nanites could get into a person's body - without them knowing - via administration through routinely shots or injections or touching something or taking a puff from an inhaler, etc. When inside, nanites will flow along with the blood of a vessel straight to their brain, and alter their minds, personalities, actions, memories and behaviors. Central Intelligence Agencies will be too saturated with overflowing perplexing intell for any government to monitor or keep track of should someone somewhere decide something, a web of electronic information will be everywhere humans are, every bit of 7 billion individual livelihoods will be accessible to people who can't be kept track of.

That makes any nanovirus look like a freaking joke.

Digi
About tree fiddy.

Dolos
I'll joke around but this doesn't a spam-flame-f*ck-fest. If I ever meet another transhumanist like myself, someone who isn't afraid to go there, I will fall in love with that person. But no one here is a transhumanist, futurist, you all think it's not science fiction (which I love to romanticize) but all bullsh*t and horse hockey that you know for a fact is impossible, and that everything I post reflects such. You know what I have to say to that? Kank.

Digi
Originally posted by Dolos
If I ever meet another transhumanist like myself, someone who isn't afraid to go there, I will fall in love with that person. But no one here is a transhumanist, futurist, you all think it's not science fiction (which I love to romanticize) but all bullsh*t and horse hockey that you know for a fact is impossible, and that everything I post reflects such. You know what I have to say to that? Kank.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462824

I'm in a relationship. Flattered, though.

Dolos
Originally posted by Digi
I'm in a relationship. Flattered, though.
Is Mindship a transhumanist?

Supra
Is there anyone who know anything about the field of bio-medical research? We already know what stem cell research is capable of biologically immortality and designer DnA replacement cells but it was banned by the US congress which pisses me off. But bio-medical nanorobitics provides even more in depth alteration of DnA. All we're missing is the completion human genome project and the brain initiative (respectively) and the sky's the limit.

But what if doctors could do more than just treat disabilities, would if they could enhance, a super-plastic surgery if you will, our bodies and minds - how much is that?

Ive been taking prescribed Growth Hormone For 4 Years and I have not aged a day. Not only that I but I gained 30lbs of lean muscle mass and when I get hurt I am healed within days not weeks or months.

dadudemon
About tree fiddy.

I came to this thread to post that.

I hate you.

I'll joke around but this doesn't a spam-flame-f*ck-fest. If I ever meet another transhumanist like myself, someone who isn't afraid to go there, I will fall in love with that person. But no one here is a transhumanist, futurist, you all think it's not science fiction (which I love to romanticize) but all bullsh*t and horse hockey that you know for a fact is impossible, and that everything I post reflects such. You know what I have to say to that? Kank.

I'm a transhumanist and a Mormon.

Sooo...do I just have to unzip now or...?

Digi
There are other people interested in Transhumanism here, Dolos. I think the flippant comments are more in reaction to your approach/question in the OP. How much it's going to cost is too speculative to produce in-depth discussion, and doesn't actually touch on topics that Transhumanists are interested in (which is usually the technologies themselves and their implications)

Dunno.

Originally posted by dadudemon
I came to this thread to post that.

I hate you.

That's ok; I'll love me enough for the both of us.

awecreep

Astner

Supra
I have modified my genetics with GH

Dolos

Stealth Moose

I lol'd.

Astner
Well have a map of 10^14 cells, as is the goal of the human genome project.
Not all cells in the human body are stationary, on top of that, even if you manage to map them and their movements, then what? You're going to individually poke a hole in each and everyone of them without ruining the membrane and inject RNA-altering catalysts?

Supra
GH causes hyperplasia in your body so it actually causes new cells to form which in return creates new tissue, new muscle fiber, brain cells, cartilage regrowth, anything that need to be regenerated it does through hyperplasia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperplasia

PepsiDragon
Well if you want genetic therapy? We have already done it.

It is done by using the casing for the smallpox virus, and putting in the DNA you want in there. It takes several repeated treatments.

The casing for the smallpox virus is apparently really good at getting DNA into the nucleus.

It is highly experimental still probably.

@Supra is that how you can go super saiyan? If so sign me up!

dadudemon

dadudemon
Originally posted by Supra
I have modified my genetics with GH

No, you've altered your endocrine system through and external source (known as "exogenic" or exogenous) of HGH.

Had you actually modified your genetics, it would have been through gene therapy, not an endocrinic pathway.

GH causes hyperplasia in your body so it actually causes new cells to form which in return creates new tissue, new muscle fiber, brain cells, cartilage regrowth, anything that need to be regenerated it does through hyperplasia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperplasia

Check the original work done by Dr. Jose Antonio regarding Hyperplasia.

Supra
Originally posted by PepsiDragon
Well if you want genetic therapy? We have already done it.

It is done by using the casing for the smallpox virus, and putting in the DNA you want in there. It takes several repeated treatments.

The casing for the smallpox virus is apparently really good at getting DNA into the nucleus.

It is highly experimental still probably.

@Supra is that how you can go super saiyan? If so sign me up!

I basically am running around SS2 at all times and I can power up to SSG when necessary

Supra
No, you've altered your endocrine system through and external source (known as "exogenic" or exogenous) of HGH.

Had you actually modified your genetics, it would have been through gene therapy, not an endocrinic pathway.

Check the original work done by Dr. Jose Antonio regarding Hyperplasia.

Well Im bigger faster and stronger, I never get sick, I never get tired and can throw heavy weights around at the gym like paper and walk away still wanting to go jump out of planes at the end of the day.. something is different

dadudemon
I never get sick, I never get tired and can throw heavy weights around at the gym like paper and walk away still wanting to go jump out of planes at the end of the day.

I rarely get sick and I'm pretty ****in' strong, too. Skydiving sounds fun, as well.

So I must be genetically modified?

Dolos
I don't get sick as easily because obesity early in life causes your skeleton to be wider for your height.

Right now I don't care about being sick, I just want to be skinny so I need to get some osteoclasts eating that robust bone structure.

To lose weight and change my frame to a runner's I will:

Eat only the first 8 hours of the day and fast the rest.

Never run just weight lift upper body groups high reps low weight

Nothing but organic fruit, farm-fresh veggies, amino acid macrobiotic complexes, low-fat sugar-free salmon rich with omega 3 fatty acids, and 99% fat-free ground turkey breast.

Sleep 9 hours a night.

Focalin/ritalin and nicotine. I am lacking in acetylcholine and dopamine but endorphins are the most empowering psycho-stimulant of all.

Originally posted by Astner
Not all cells in the human body are stationary, on top of that, even if you manage to map them and their movements, then what? You're going to individually poke a hole in each and everyone of them without ruining the membrane and inject RNA-altering catalysts?

That's really not necessary. If I wanted to be 10 feet tall all I'd need are some stem-cells with 10 foot tall coding, the rest of cells will follow suit.

But yes, not only could you poke a hole in every single cell with advanced nanites, one could actually replace every organic cell with a nanite that is thousands of times more efficient for that biological function, and immortal. With the exception of the human brain of course. We would need to have a unified string theory of everything and smarter than human AI in order to create a working model of 7 billion non-replicable human brains and personalities. But even that is possible, though it requires the creation of an artificial universe.

Mindset
Dolos, you are the most fascinating person on kmc.

Your posts should be made into a book.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Mindset
Dolos, you are the most fascinating person on kmc.

Your posts should be made into a book. God, no. Can you imagine how many bell tower shootings there would be?

Supra
I rarely get sick and I'm pretty ****in' strong, too. Skydiving sounds fun, as well.

So I must be genetically modified?

I used to be small weak and sick all the time...now its the opposite.

Mindship
eat

dadudemon
I used to be small weak and sick all the time...now its the opposite.

Pubes.

Supra
Pubes.

sick

Digi
I had to double check the poster name because I didn't think a post from you would be that bad.

Here is what I think is a list of known cancer cures:

http://humansarehealthy.com/2011/01/list-with-cancer-cures.html

That list of cures seems an awful lot like snake oil. I don't see any references to studies and empirical date, but a LOT of personal testimonies based on a one-off experience. Usually it's when they use some "natural" remedy like hemp oil or baking soda to avoid using the dozens of medications that the big, bad medical community wants them to take. Classic conspiratorial and/or naturalistic thinking, along the same lines as homeopathic medicine.

That same site perpetuates such things as vaccine opposition (which kills far more than it could possibly help, even if its science were correct), detox (also bunk), and promotes a book that has "vibrational energy" in the tagline as a way to proper health.

The news ticker at the top also seems to display only headlines with some kind of shock value; they know their audience...those who respond well to fear-based incentives.

Take everything you read on that site with a dash of salt. Or take it with your actual Dr.-prescribed meds. You'll be better off for it.

dadudemon
That list of cures seems an awful lot like snake oil. I don't see any references to studies and empirical date, but a LOT of personal testimonies based on a one-off experience. Usually it's when they use some "natural" remedy like hemp oil or baking soda to avoid using the dozens of medications that the big, bad medical community wants them to take. Classic conspiratorial and/or naturalistic thinking, along the same lines as homeopathic medicine.

That same site perpetuates such things as vaccine opposition (which kills far more than it could possibly help, even if its science were correct), detox (also bunk), and promotes a book that has "vibrational energy" in the tagline as a way to proper health.

The news ticker at the top also seems to display only headlines with some kind of shock value; they know their audience...those who respond well to fear-based incentives.

Take everything you read on that site with a dash of salt. Or take it with your actual Dr.-prescribed meds. You'll be better off for it.

That's a lot of text for a google search that I linked to with 2 seconds of searching. I did not even read the list.

I originally intended to link to this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cancer+cures&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS556&oq=cancer+cures&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3566j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

The point was not whether or not the list was perfect or even correct: the point was a tiny bit of searching could have revealed his statement to be false.

Digi
That's a lot of text for a google search that I linked to with 2 seconds of searching. I did not even read the list.

I originally intended to link to this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cancer+cures&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS556&oq=cancer+cures&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3566j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

The point was not whether or not the list was perfect or even correct: the point was a tiny bit of searching could have revealed his statement to be false.

Fair enough. Just be careful, because the website you linked is depressingly misleading, fatally so in many cases (the increase in child deaths from the vaccine thing alone is quite horrifying). I had no way of knowing you weren't actually endorsing the site.

dadudemon
Fair enough. Just be careful, because the website you linked is depressingly misleading, fatally so in many cases (the increase in child deaths from the vaccine thing alone is quite horrifying). I had no way of knowing you weren't actually endorsing the site.

I took a couple of things away from our very short conversation:

1. To just link to the google search results instead of clicking the first "list" article.

2. You care about me because you don't want me using snake oil cancer cures. 313] inlove

Digi
I took a couple of things away from our very short conversation:

1. To just link to the google search results instead of clicking the first "list" article.

2. You care about me because you don't want me using snake oil cancer cures. 313] inlove

1. Sure, so long as it comes with the caveat that they attempt to fact-check the info even from a google search.

2. I care about awareness and education on these topics, and preventing people from spreading harmful lies. You can heal yourself with resonant crystals and meth brownies for all I care.

fdog

Dolos
This is why you should be scared!!

That article talks about direct one-way access into a human's brain, and it does not require putting things into our brains nor does it require a vast understanding of the human brain. Someone could be seeing what we're seeing, make us think what they want us to think and do what exactly what they want us to do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.