On Forum Posting (For Dolos)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stealth Moose
I'm bored and there's downtime at work, so here is some forum etiquette, tips and tricks to help you in your quest to inform and amuse the denizens of this subforum. It also serves as a general purpose entertainment/informative post and therefore may not always be directed at you, nor is it intended to necessarily imply anything other than you could use some brushing up on your posting techniques for Maximum effeckz. And I really really need something to do until six PM.

Format is Everything

If it looks nice, the human eye likes it. If the human eye likes it, it's more likely to get read. Big Blocks of Text just serve to remind people of how tiresome reading can be and how time consuming. Prevent this with the following steps:

Avoid Big Blocks of Text. They are pleasing to the eye in the same way a shaved bear is pleasing to the eye; that is to say, they're ugly and frightening.

Be sure to present your topics in a way which gathers interest instead of merely asks people to give opinions on something you hold intriguing. For example, "Transhumanism could be a new path for humanity in the form of physical equality and prosperity, or it could be another way for the social elite to control the plebs. What do you think?" Like a news article, a forum post should be one part informative and two parts thought provoking.

Use epic formatting like myself.

How to Format Better

Using Advanced Mode when posting can help the newbie with the easy-access buttons for Bold, Italics, etc, but real mastery comes from using more than the readily available. In the following examples, an * will be inserted in the brackets to allow you to see new formatting methods. So that being said, when attempting to replicate say bold, underlined text omit the * for real results.

1. Bold, italics, and underlined are fairly simple. They involve applying open bracket . , and respectively. Remember, every bracket must be closed for the formatting to come out appropriately. So when you open with to bold a sentence or item, you must close it to prevent everything thereafter from being bold as well. Otherwise, it looks like a mess and everyone has to rip their eyes out in rage.

2. lets us host images. This can be a great way to get a point across without having to result to text which can be unwieldy or easily misinterpreted. For example, if someone tells me that universal health care is a Godless socialized travesty bordering on bankrupting the country and promoting anarchy in the streets, I will reply this way:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_H2DVlYyfr7U/S8kfHBB7Z8I/AAAAAAAABDI/MsuCKwn7_Zs/s1600/ROFLMAO.jpg

Thus endeth the debate.

3. You can use lists to present points in an easy-to-read format. We humans love lists, and they make things easier to address. So if someone wants to address part of your argument, skim it because of time restraints, or wants to nitpick you to death, it's easier for both sides. must surround the entire list itself. An * in brackets actually allows for bullet points within that list. So an example is this:

Reasons why I rule:

I wrote this without help from my teachers, parents, or personal handlers.

I make formatting fun.

I ROFLMAO'd.

I made this signature.

Look at how awesome that is!

You can also use without the *s to just indent a block quote. So for example:

I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.

Block quotes are sometimes used in scholarly journals and writings, unless it's biology in which case the eggheads are too full of themselves to allow it.

Multiple Quoting - How to Not Post Eighty Times

This one some of us all are guilty of at some point - instead of quoting people individually on the same forum post, we just requote each individual and end up with 4-5 replies. It looks godawful, which is why this alternate method is preferred:

Right-click the Thread name, open in a new browsing tab. If you cannot do this because your browser does not support tab browsing, find a time machine or bring up Netscape and download 'Chrome' or 'Mozilla Firefox'. I would never wish anyone to use Internet Explorer, as it is a crime against humanity.

Now you have the thread in a new tab. You will need this so that you can click 'Quote' and grab the quoted material already formatted. This is a huge time-saver and it looks neat since KMC forums already references the original poster. You can click your Back arrow each time to go back and grab more quotes without disturbing the original tab which has your up and coming reply. This is a great way to avoid multi-posts:

Originally posted by dadudemon
http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/16/soda-contributes-to-behavior-problems-among-young-children/?hpt=hp_t3

TL : DR - Children behave "more badly" if they are consume more sugary drinks than their "sugarless drink drinking" peers.

(That syntax is hilarious)

If you cannot do this because the quote is from a source other than KMC, remember to use to bolt the quoted text for consistency. Such as:

^ This looks similar to a KMC quote but is in a presentable form.

Use this method to provide aforementioned presentable quotes for easy reading!

More examples:

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Being conscious is one of the traditional criteria for having an hallucinations (since while unconscious they're dreams). If you're looking for a particular mechanism various drugs can produce them (even marijuana for a sufficiently clinical definition of hallucinations) as can sensory deprivation and lack of sleep.

I disagree. Although I didn't read the above text. Here's a video of some cats: OMG CATS!

Originally posted by Dolos
It's called a "lucid" dream.

A dream that is very strong, meaning it stimulates one's multisensory integration almost like an acid trip. Another word for dream is 'hypnagogic hallucination'. In fact, to the trained mind, a few days in meditative deep sleep can allow them to create a dream so deep and lucid that it can be a crazier experience than consuming a ball hashish would be for a normal person, a Virtual Reality that is under complete control, like the one we're living in now.

The cosmos is, after all, the collective dream of consciousnesses.

FALSE! The cosmos is clearly made of milk. Why else would they call it the 'Milky Way'?

Originally posted by Mindset
Join the army.

These ad bots are really out of control.

--

That's it. I'm out of ideas. But this killed like an hour of my time, so that's a huge plus. Enjoy! And post responsibly!

Dolos
tl;dr

Stealth Moose
I C WUT U DID THAR.

Dolos
Ha.

I'll take cleaning my posts up into consideration. If anything it would be fun work.

Stealth Moose
I approve.

SJones91109
That's pretty funny. God forbid you ever find a significant other (mostly likely male) and then we'll be without these gems

Dolos
How's this post?

Originally posted by SJones91109
That's pretty funny. God forbid you ever find a significant other (mostly likely male) and then we'll be without these gems

Why is him going to the trouble to make a thread about me while working funny?

Maybe I'm just that important.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by SJones91109

That reminds me, I left some loose change on your mother's dresser. Take that and buy yourself some comebacks, bro.

Also, I do a lot of stuff at KMC and online in general for more own amusement. This is what I do when say, I'm stuck at work or TOR is taking three days to download.

Lord Lucien
Three days? Gay.

Stealth Moose
It's done now. Finally.

Major_Lexington
dolos, +1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.