Thor vs Palpatine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
Bloodlusted deathmatch in Madison Square Garden
Even though Thor will be using whatever unethical tactics he has to, Mjonir will still work for him
They start 50 feet apart
Who takes this?

COG Veteran
Thor breaks him in half.

dadudemon
Wouldn't force lightning be useless against Thor?

Also, wouldn't Palps be unable to force push Thor because Thor is holding the hammer and, therefore, is unable to move Thor (this has never applied in the comics but is something that has bothered me...).

Silent Master
A human wearing a suit made of metal was able to push through force-lightning...I doubt Thor will even feel it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Silent Master
A human wearing a suit made of metal was able to push through force-lightning...I doubt Thor will even feel it.

Sounds like I need to watch the rest of Clone Wars...

(Is that where that's from?)

Silent Master
Originally posted by dadudemon
Sounds like I need to watch the rest of Clone Wars...

(Is that where that's from?)

Darth Vader when he killed Palpatine, hell Luke also survived getting hit with it for an extended time.

Impediment
Thor sticks Mjolnir up Palpatine's ass.

dadudemon
Darth Vader when he killed Palpatine, hell Luke also survived getting hit with it for an extended time.

Oh, that's what you meant. I assumed "human" meant non-force-sensitive.

Silent Master
Oh, that's what you meant. I assumed "human" meant non-force-sensitive.

Why, isn't not like being force-sensitive makes someone more durable.

dadudemon
Why, isn't not like being force-sensitive makes someone more durable.

Well, that's not the general consensus of the MvF: being a force user makes you loads more durable and stronger.

That wasn't the angle I was taking, though. I was assuming that a regular old human (possibly a clone) in a metal suit that was specifically made to resist force lightning was being employed in The Clone Wars and this metal suit nullified the telekinetic pushing abilities of force lightning, as well.

Silent Master
Well, that's not the general consensus of the MvF: being a force user makes you loads more durable and stronger.

That wasn't the angle I was taking, though. I was assuming that a regular old human (possibly a clone) in a metal suit that was specifically made to resist force lightning was being employed in The Clone Wars and this metal suit nullified the telekinetic pushing abilities of force lightning, as well.

Really, what are some of their durability feats that show this....because Luke appeared to have regular durability, what with him being injured, operated on and almost dying of hypothermia.

That and weren't most of the Jedi's killed with regular attacks during order 66?

Dr Will Hatch
Movie Palpatine is f.ucking toast. TOAST.

EU Palpatine I think would win handily against MCU Thor, but EU feats aren't allowed in this forum, so it's moot.

Dr Will Hatch
Really, what are some of their durability feats that show this....because Luke appeared to have regular durability, what with him being injured, operated on and almost dying of hypothermia.

That and weren't most of the Jedi's killed with regular attacks during order 66?

Yes, but to be fair, Palpatine was using the Dark Side of the Force to basically block out or weaken everyone else's power over it.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Yes, but to be fair, Palpatine was using the Dark Side of the Force to basically block out or weaken everyone else's power over it.

I thought he was just using it to cloud their minds....where was it stated that it made them weaker and less durable?

Robtard
Palpatine decapitates Thor and does this:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/4710118/emperor-evil-laugh-o.gif

dadudemon

That's not my argument so I won't make it. I believe Robtard made a pretty decent argument for it. If he actually shows his ass up, maybe he can fill us in.

Edit - Sadako and Jaden, too.

Blaster Bolts seem pretty effective at killing force users and non-force users, alike.

Originally posted by Robtard
Palpatine decapitates Thor and does this:

Explain how Jedi and/or Sith exhibit superhuman durability.

Silent Master
That's not my argument so I won't make it. I believe Robtard made a pretty decent argument for it. If he actually shows his ass up, maybe he can fill us in.

Blaster Bolts seem pretty effective at killing force users and non-force users, alike.

Yet IIRC blaster bolts did very little damage to the walls/euipment they hit during the movies...like say during the capture of Leia or the escape from the DS or Cloud City...Thor on the other hand tanked the Bi-Frost explosion with zero visible damage. same with Iron-man's energy blasts.

Also, Luke getting hit by a couple of slow moving objects in his fight with Vader appeared to hurt...so if he does have above human level durability, it's on the low end.

Mindset
Force users are more durable to blunt for trauma than regular humans, not sure if the ability is passive or not though.

Anyway, Thor oneshots him.

KingD19
In Episode 3, Obi-Wan was launched 40+ feet across a room at high speed, slammed into a metal walkway hard enough to dent the metal(probably durasteel), fell about a dozen feet to the floor, then had that walkway(hundred of pounds at least) dropped on his legs. He was ko'd, but aside from that he was perfectly fine.

dadudemon
Yet IIRC blaster bolts did very little damage to the walls/euipment they hit during the movies...like say during the capture of Leia or the escape from the DS or Cloud City...Thor on the other hand tanked the Bi-Frost explosion with zero visible damage. same with Iron-man's energy blasts.

What they (blaster bolts) do is inconsistent. In some scenes, they leave a small crater in metal. In others, just a burn mark. Some chalk that up to different materials but I believe I have found inconsistencies in that in A New Hope (when they are escaping the Death Star).

I said all that to say this: the Star Wars movies are inconsistent with a lot of shit.

Silent Master
Originally posted by KingD19
In Episode 3, Obi-Wan was launched 40+ feet across a room at high speed, slammed into a metal walkway hard enough to dent the metal(probably durasteel), fell about a dozen feet to the floor, then had that walkway(hundred of pounds at least) dropped on his legs. He was ko'd, but aside from that he was perfectly fine.

Luke appeared to be hurt by a couple of the rather slow moving objects that vader hit him with during their fight in ESB.

KingD19
And? That doesn't take away from the multiple showings of Force User durability shown.

Silent Master
And? That doesn't take away from the multiple showings of Force User durability shown.

Well, as the whole point of this was in regards to whether or not Palpatine's lightning would hurt Thor...I'd say showing that Luke, a guy that survived a prolonged blast of it didn't have very impressive durability, is fairly good evidence that Thor won't have any problems.

That and Thor withstood a massive lightning strike in the first movie just before fighting the Destroyer.

Mindset
It's not like Thor couldn't simply block the lightning anyway.

KingD19
I was never arguing that Force Lightning could hurt Thor. I was simply pointing out that Force User did indeed show increased durability.

I'm pretty sure Thor could just launch Mjolnir and the fight is over.

Silent Master
Luke didn't show much if any increased durability in the movies.

KingD19
Yes and no. When he fell out of Cloud City onto that weather vane, that fall probably would have killed anyone else. Or at least ripped them apart when they tried to catch themselves.

But there are more showings of Jedi and Sith having enhanced durability than their are of Luke not having it. And clearly the time/cgi difference let Lucas do more in the sequels.

Silent Master
I always took his survival as being because he fell into a tube/shaft that was angled and he basically slid to a stop.

They did much the same thing in the Brendan Fraser remake of Journey to the center of the Earth.

FrothByte
Thor is a bit too much for Palpatine. Even with a force choke he might have trouble choking Thor.

focus4chumps
force lightning and regular lightning are possibly not the same at all. you cant just presume that thor is immune to it.

Silent Master
Why not? Luke was able to survive a prolonged attack of it and Thor has far better durability feats.

FrothByte
Originally posted by focus4chumps
force lightning and regular lightning are possibly not the same at all. you cant just presume that thor is immune to it.

True. But considering that Thor shrugged off a repulsor blast and Luke was able to withstand force lightning for some time, the closer guess would be that Thor could withstand it easily.

I'd actually think that regular lightning is more powerful.

DTM
Personally I think Palpatines best bet to win is to get in close and fight lightsaber to hammer. Yes Mjolnir will hurt Palpatine, but a lightsaber should cut through Thor without much trouble, and Jedi/Sith were shown to be able to fight as such as superhuman speeds (Thor has not). In the end Ill still support Thor to win more than not, but Palpatine definately does have his chances to win as well.

Silent Master
Considering Thor's strength, How is Palpatine going to block Mjolnir?

DTM
He can avoid, dodge or evade such blows easier than he could dodge them. His saber does give him a slightly longer reach, and he is faster and more agile in a close up fight than Thor is. Fights with such beings are hardly whoever hits harder wins.

Silent Master
Actually as we use the most current version, He's slow as hell.

4BOQI-LAEzM

dadudemon
Originally posted by focus4chumps

That's shitty logic. Here's why:

"Force lightning and regular lightning are possibly the same. You can't just presume that Thor is not immune to it."

Originally posted by FrothByte
I'd actually think that regular lightning is more powerful.

I agree. It looks more like the "lightning" from this:

oxvOuu4IcJk

That shit will still kill you but you might be able to survive a shock or two...or three...before your heart stops.

DTM
Actually as we use the most current version, He's slow as hell.

4BOQI-LAEzM

Uh, OK, well if this is Thor vs. RotJ Palpatine, then yes Thor wins every time. Palpatine from RotS, thats another matter (again, Id still say Thor wins more than not, but Palpatine makes him work for it).

FrothByte
Thor should be careful not to allow Palpatine to get close. Those Sith are fast as hell. Of course, considering Thor's AOE and ranged attacks that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Silent Master
Can the movie lightsabers even cut Thor considering his durability feats?

dadudemon
Thor should be careful not to allow Palpatine to get close. Those Sith are fast as hell. Of course, considering Thor's AOE and ranged attacks that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm sure that if Palps got in close, Thor would pick him up, bite off his head, drink the blood squirting out from his neck, throw down Palp's headless body, and exclaim, "I'LL HAVE ANOTHER!"

DTM

I dont see why not. Being able to take vast blunt force is quite different than a blade that cuts through nearly everything.

steverules_2
Palps never showed any speed feats, he was slow as f*ck yet he managed to kill 3 Jedi 2 with the slowest reflexes in the galaxy facepalm

Silent Master
Originally posted by DTM
I dont see why not. Being able to take vast blunt force is quite different than a blade that cuts through nearly everything.

Except, Thor also has multiple feats of withstanding energy attacks, like Iron-man's repulsor beams, the Bi-Frost explosion, blast from Odin's spear etc.

Didn't the lightsabers take a decent amount of time to cut through a blast door?

steverules_2
They never actually cut through it...I mean they started to melt it away I guess but then they got attacked by droids and had to run for it

FrothByte

Good question. Considering how long it took the lightsabers to cut through the blast doors, I'd say that yes they can hurt Thor, but they probably won't be able to cut through him. Maybe give him a whole load of flesh wounds.

Robtard

Why you non sequituring it up? What I said has nothing to do with superman durability. But I'll entertain your non sequitur anyways, cos I am kind. Force users seem to be far more durable than a regular human, but I can't see Palpatine surviving a direct hit from Mjolnir.

Anyhow, Thor loses his head here and a headless Thor = a Palpatine win smile

Mindset
Rob, you don't know anything about anything, and the next time I see you I'm gonna punch you right square in the mouth.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
Rob, you don't know anything about anything, and the next time I see you I'm gonna punch you right square in the mouth.

I know Thor's a big blowhard dumbass who likes to get in and smash shit with his big hammer, this is his MO in Thor, Avengers and likely will be in Thor 2; when he goes in to turn Palpatine into Sith custard with a grunty swing, Palpatine cuts him into little itty bitty Asgardian bits smile

Silent Master
Only IIRC movie lightsabers have never cut anything with Thor's level of durability.

Robtard
Only IIRC movie lightsabers have never cut anything with Thor's level of durability.

They easily pierced through heavy blast doors, Qui Gon Jinn had no problem stabbing his sabre in. FFW to 1:24 & 1:44 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEAc1ot7w_g

On the other hand, Thor's super-duper durability leans heavily towards blunt force trauma, as 4 inch blade easily pierced his armor and his flesh.

All things point to a sabre piercing Thor and him making a stupid face before he dies.

Silent Master
A Lightsaber isn't a sharp magical bladed weapon, it's an energy weapon and Thor has several great feats against energy.

Robtard
A Lightsaber isn't a sharp magical bladed weapon, it's an energy weapon and Thor has several great feats against energy.

Fair enough.

Which 'energy feats' are you thinking of that dictate Thor could tank an energy blade of concentrated hyper-intensive heat?

Silent Master
Standing in his own lightning strike during the Destroyer scene is one.

Robtard
Standing in his own lightning strike during the Destroyer scene is one.

Lighting is absolutely in no way greater or equal to a lightsabre:

-Thor's lighting just did superficial damage to the Iron Man suit, while I doubt you'd argue that the IM suit could withstand a blow from a lightsabre.

-We can also safely conclude that lightning would do absolutely nothing to those blast doors aboard the trade federation ship.

Silent Master
Lightning strikes are supposed to be able to generate heat at 54,000 degrees Fahrenheit and Thor stood in that strike for several seconds.

Robtard
Lightning strikes are supposed to be able to generate heat at 54,000 degrees Fahrenheit and Thor stood in that strike for several seconds.

Do you think IM could tank a hit from a sabre?

Do you think lightning could melt those blast doors on the trade fed ship in Ep1?

Silent Master
If Thor's lightning strike lasted the same length time as the sabers were in contact with the doors, yes.

NemeBro
Thor wins at range or in melee.

Palpatine has no feats to suggest he can blitz Thor, and Thor has many feats that suggest he can create a cyclone to suck Palpatine inside, rendering him helpless, then igniting it to blow him up.

KingD19
Palpatine's blitz against 3 Jedi Masters says he can move pretty quickly.

FrothByte
Fair enough.

Which 'energy feats' are you thinking of that dictate Thor could tank an energy blade of concentrated hyper-intensive heat?

IM's repulsor rays? While I do think lightsabers have a higher concentration of energy, IM's repulsor rays can still cut through steel... and a point blank shot at Thor's face didn't even give him a rash.

KingD19
That wasn't his Repulsor Ray, which is just kinetic energy. Cutting through steel he uses his ejectable laser cartridge.

DTM
I have little doubt that a lightsaber could cut thru IMs armor, and Thors skin. I believe Thor would win more than lose, but hardly due to him being resistant to lightsabers cutting power.

focus4chumps
the lightsaber exhibits more properties of a solid burning/cutting weapon than a beam of energy. and yes i am aware that at its most basic explanation it is a beam of energy. my point is that you cant oversimplify it like that

DarkNemesis
If they're 50 feet apart, Thor's first instinct would probably be to toss his hammer at Palpatine, and Palpatine's would probably be to try and fry Thor with lightning. The former seems to have a better chance at succeeding. And not to mention Thor can fly, create a tornado, and summon lightning himself.

As for a lightsaber cutting through Thor, I'm leaning towards a yes. Thor has good durability feats against energy-based attacks (Loki's scepter, IM's repulsor blasts), but a lightsaber doesn't fall in the same category. It's more of a cutting weapon.

But in the scenario listed, I doubt Palpatine will get the chance to get up close before Thor kills him.

Tzeentch._
Jedi don't react on "instinct" that way. They have this thing called "pre-cognition" that allows them to react to an opponent's attacks almost before they make it.

So if Thor's first instinct is to throw his hammer, Palpatine's first instinct would be to either push it back with the force or just move out of the way.

Anyway. Glancing through the pages, seems like typical star wars ignorance ITT.

dadudemon
Why you non sequituring it up? What I said has nothing to do with superman durability. But I'll entertain your non sequitur anyways, cos I am kind.

It wasn't non sequitur if you followed the thread conversation:

Basically, you and others have argued for increased durability of force users, in the past. So I was asking you to explain that reasoning because you and at least 2 others have made those arguments in the past.

Mindset
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Jedi don't react on "instinct" that way. They have this thing called "pre-cognition" that allows them to react to an opponent's attacks almost before they make it.

So if Thor's first instinct is to throw his hammer, Palpatine's first instinct would be to either push it back with the force or just move out of the way.

Anyway. Glancing through the pages, seems like typical star wars ignorance ITT. So basically, you have nothing to add and Thor rapes Palp into pulp.

Allankles
Thor wouldn't be immune to Sith lightning. Just because he can channell lightning like a boss doesn't mean it can't hurt him. Lightsabers and force speed and tele kinesis make it a very hard fight for Thor. I can actually see Palps ending it quickly if he uses his saber - go figure. I'm actually giving Palps a win.

Lestov16
Palpatine has telekinesis as well. And just because he didn't force-choke onscreen doesn't mean he wasn't capable.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Lestov16
Palpatine has telekinesis as well. And just because he didn't force-choke onscreen doesn't mean he wasn't capable.

The question would be whether he's strong enough to force choke a guy tough enough to survive a full punch from the Hulk with nothing but a slightly bloody nose.

Robtard
The question would be whether he's strong enough to force choke a guy tough enough to survive a full punch from the Hulk with nothing but a slightly bloody nose.

Taking a punch in the face and being choked out are two entirely different things.

Ali could take Anderson Silva's punches without falling, but if Silva managed (lol) to get in behind Ali and get in a solid choke, Ali would pass out quick, like most people.

Now if Thor somehow doesn't rely on breathing and blood-flow to his brain in order to function, sure, choking won't matter to him. But that's unlikely.

FrothByte
Taking a punch in the face and being choked out are two entirely different things.

Ali could take Anderson Silva's punches without falling, but if Silva managed (lol) to get in behind Ali and get in a solid choke, Ali would pass out quick, like most people.

Now if Thor somehow doesn't rely on breathing and blood-flow to his brain in order to function, sure, chocking won't matter to him. But that's unlikely.

No. If Silva was allowed to give Ali a clean punch to the chin, Ali is getting knocked out just like normal people. A punch knocks you out by stopping blood and oxygen from going to the brain (by clipping the veins at your nape), so it results in the same thing as a choke

So actually, if Silva managed to land a clean shot (lol) on Ali, it would achieve the same result as if Silva managed to get behind Ali (lol) and choke him.

In short, if Thor's neck and veins can survive a punch from Hulk without getting knocked out, then I'm pretty sure his throat is a lot tougher.

Robtard
No. If Silva was allowed to give Ali a clean punch to the chin, Ali is getting knocked out just like normal people. A punch knocks you out by stopping blood and oxygen from going to the brain, same way a choke works just via different mechanics.

So actually, if Silva managed to land a clean shot (lol) on Ali, it would achieve the same result as if Silva managed to get behind Ali (lol) and choke him.

Even if Ali stood still, a clean punch may or may not knock him out. A proper choke hold will KO him 100% of the time.

It's a matter of the brain being accelerated and the G-forces cause a momentary interruption in blood flow, another (and/or really) is connecting with the right parts in the face (chin mostly) and causing a momentary nervous system shock.

The mechanics matter and are not interchangeable. Being able to take a punch in the face doesn't mean you're immune to being choked out.

If you want to argue that Thor's so durable Palpatine won't be able to compress his neck tissue and cause a blood-flow interruption, that's a different argument.

FrothByte
Even if Ali stood still, a clean punch may or may not knock him out. A proper choke hold will KO him 100% of the time.

It's a matter of the brain being accelerated and the G-forces cause a momentary interruption in blood flow, another (and/or really) is connecting with the right parts in the face (chin mostly) and causing a momentary nervous system shock.

The mechanics matter and are not interchangeable. Being able to take a punch in the face doesn't mean you're immune to being choked out.

If you want to argue that Thor's so durable Palpatine won't be able to compress his neck tissue and cause a blood-flow interruption, that's a different argument.

I don't think I've ever heard of any man who's capable of taking a punch from a trained non-lightweight puncher clean to the chin without getting knocked out. The physical parts of you responsible for determining whether you get knocked out or not is just not strong enough to contend with a well thrown punch from a trained striker.

But yeah, let's not get bogged down on that discussion. I admit that I don't have scientific evidence to support that claim and it's just based on everything I've learned from boxing training.

Anyway, my original point was that someone who's capable of taking a punch from Hulk to the face (and falling from hundreds of feet high for that matter) without getting his neck snapped or getting a ligament torn or what not... definitely has a wind pipe, neck tissue and blood vessels and what not, far stronger than any normal man.

And that's the question. Whether Palpatine can generate a force choke strong enough to actually overcome Thor's superhuman durability.

KingD19
Considering what Force Users are capable of moving with Force TK(items weighing in at the hundreds if not thousands of tons), the psi they must be able to use with Choke should be massive.

FrothByte
Considering what Force Users are capable of moving with Force TK(items weighing in at the hundreds if not thousands of tons), the psi they must be able to use with Choke should be massive.

What's the heaviest that we've seen a force user move via TK in the movies? I remember Yoda lifting that ship. Do we know what the psi generated by bullets are? Thor and Loki seemed pretty bulletproof, so we know they can survive some pretty strong pressures as well.

I'm not saying that Palpatine can or cannot choke him. Just saying that it's not a sure shot because of Thor's immense durability.

KingD19
I found an estimate of the X-Wing weighing roughly 5 tons, and considering it was submerged in swamp water and muck for a time, we could probably tack on more weight to allow for said swamp matter.

There's also Dooku v Yoda when they both moved that massive power coupling thing that had to weigh a few tons at least.

And Palpatine v Yoda hurling around Senate Pods which again seemed to weigh at least a ton or two.

As for the PSI of a bullet upon impact, I found some math guy who used a random example and came up with 3032 psi.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Palpatine vs. Thor? Lol. The Odinson laughs at his lightning and decapitates him with a Mjolnir throw.

Maybe he dodges. Unfortunately, it's a hammer that can change course in midair.

DTM
Weve seen movie Mjolnir change course in mid-throw?

KingD19
Not in the movies. Unless he shows he can do so in Dark World.

noor47

Allankles
Palps TK doesn't have to be used to choke he can fling things at Thor to distract him. It's just not a good fight for movie Thor, regardless.

Mindset
Originally posted by Allankles
Palps TK doesn't have to be used to choke he can fling things at Thor to distract him. It's just not a good fight for movie Thor, regardless. lmao

FrothByte
Palps TK doesn't have to be used to choke he can fling things at Thor to distract him. It's just not a good fight for movie Thor, regardless.

I think lightning and whirlwind will be a bit more troublesome for Palpatine than thrown stuff will be trouble for Thor.

Palpatine can win this fight, but he has to work harder for it than Thor does.

Stealth Moose
http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/movies/thor2/assets/downloads/thor2_comp_i.gif

http://www.graphics99.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/thoruppercut.gif

It can go in one of two ways.

Mindset
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/movies/thor2/assets/downloads/thor2_comp_i.gif

It can go in one of two ways. thumb up

Lord Lucien
5 pages? Are there people who actually think Palpatine has a chance?

Mindset
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
5 pages? Are there people who actually think Palpatine has a chance? There are people, Allankles, who think Thor might have a chance. erm

Allankles
Thor can win, but Palpatine should win. If he uses TK in any way that's not telegraphed he'll beat Thor imv. He also has a speed advantage. Mjlonir's magic would still provide an awesome show, regardless of the outcome - this is a given.

Mindset
Thor will light Palp up with lightning.

Silent Master
Given Thor's durability, I'm not convinced that movie Palpatine's TK is enough is really hurt him.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Palps TK doesn't have to be used to choke he can fling things at Thor to distract him. It's just not a good fight for movie Thor, regardless. Originally posted by Allankles
Thor can win, but Palpatine should win. If he uses TK in any way that's not telegraphed he'll beat Thor imv. He also has a speed advantage. Mjlonir's magic would still provide an awesome show, regardless of the outcome - this is a given.

Lmao.

Palpatine never demonstrated anywhere near the telekinetic power needed to beat Thor or even present a serious problem.

His lightning is pathetic compared to Thor's. It'd be a match challenging the Sun. And a speed advantage? Lol, compared to Thor, Palpatine moved like an old man.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by DTM
Weve seen movie Mjolnir change course in mid-throw?

Hmm, its changed course in mid flight which I guess is the same principle and definitely proved it didn't just move in straight directions when Thor died in the first movie.

Galan007
Palpatine gets a hammer stuffed up his ass. thumb up

dadudemon
Originally posted by Galan007
Palpatine gets hammered in the ass. thumb up

FTFY smile

Mindset
Palpatine gets a hammer stuffed up his ass. thumb up

Kazenji
I'm sure you've done that in real life.

Wei Phoenix

Thrown chairs, tables and miscellaneous objects, Thor's one weakness.

Mindset
Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm sure you've done that in real life. You should be sure, it was your ass.

KingD19
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Lmao.

And a speed advantage? Lol, compared to Thor, Palpatine moved like an old man.

The speed at which lightsaber battles went as well as the deflecting of blaster bolts and especially Palpatine's speedblitz where he killed 3 top Jedi Masters in seconds is faster than pretty much all of Thor's combat feats. He and Loki were slow as hell when they were fighting each other. He was slow fighting the Destroyer, and slow fighting the Chitauri. He's more about power than speed which is clearly obvious in his portrayal.

Hmm, its changed course in mid flight which I guess is the same principle and definitely proved it didn't just move in straight directions when Thor died in the first movie.

Have we ever seen it change course mid-flight under Thor's command? That's what matters in this debate. To my knowledge, he's only ever thrown it straight, and then made it come back from the direction he threw it.

Wei Phoenix
Thor beats him into Pulpatine that then gets poured into his glass of ovaltine which he drinks ever so manly.

Robtard
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5459/r160.png

DTM

It can go in one of two ways.

How silly. As if Palpatines fighting style is anything like Hulk or Korgs. We could just as easily post the scene where Palpatine takes out 3 Jedi Masters and say the same thing (which would be equally as silly). smile

DTM

Changes course to return to him, or changes course to hit other characters here and there? One is a given, the other I dont even think comics Mjolnir can do.

DTM
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Thrown chairs, tables and miscellaneous objects, Thor's one weakness.

Good thing that Palpatine also has superhuman speed and reflexes, massive pre cognition, and a sword that cuts thru most anything, at which he is a master at using (not to mention one of the most cunning and devious minds in the universe).

As if throwing things at Thor is his only means of attack.

Mindset
Thor kills Palpatine with lightning.

You guys need to accept this.

DTM
Yes, its not because Palpatine couldnt saber block lightning, just like Jedi Knight level Kenobi did in AotC (also, in characters, throwing down lightning is not Thors normal way of attacking, especially when its not a group of characters, but a single foe only).

Rage.Of.Olympus
The speed at which lightsaber battles went as well as the deflecting of blaster bolts and especially Palpatine's speedblitz where he killed 3 top Jedi Masters in seconds is faster than pretty much all of Thor's combat feats. He and Loki were slow as hell when they were fighting each other. He was slow fighting the Destroyer, and slow fighting the Chitauri. He's more about power than speed which is clearly obvious in his portrayal.

Have we ever seen it change course mid-flight under Thor's command? That's what matters in this debate. To my knowledge, he's only ever thrown it straight, and then made it come back from the direction he threw it.

You say Jedi Master as if it automatically means they have super speed and constantly utilize it. I saw how Palpatine killed them, nothing Thor couldn't handle.

Thor did not fight any slower against the Destroyer, Loki, Chitauri etc. then Palpatine. And if you think deflecting energy attacks makes him faster, you aren't making a good argument by referencing fights where Thor does exactly that. We saw him block the Destroyers energy beam, Loki's scepter in the Avengers, Chitauri lasers etc.

Like I said, we've seen him change course while flying. You can choose to accept that as evidence or not, but Thor controls Mjolnir mentally.

As a matter of fact, in TDW trailer, we saw Mjolnir zig zagging across cars/streets to return to Thor's hand.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by DTM
Yes, its not because Palpatine couldnt saber block lightning, just like Jedi Knight level Kenobi did in AotC (also, in characters, throwing down lightning is not Thors normal way of attacking, especially when its not a group of characters, but a single foe only).

When has Palpatine ever blocked lighting on Thor's level? And we've seen him use it often enough that it's a viable strategy. Even the one that he used against Iron Man was powerful enough to increase the suits reactor by 475% which means its packing a hell of a lot more energy then Palpatine ever demonstrated to my knowledge.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by DTM
Changes course to return to him, or changes course to hit other characters here and there? One is a given, the other I dont even think comics Mjolnir can do.

While he was in flight.

Comic Mjolnir can accomplish this most assuredly:
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/RageOfOlympus/Thor/DefeatsLoki4.jpg

DTM
Hmmmm, sure its there, but thats a very Old School example, Thor has changed heaps since then, so Im not sure Id go supporting Mjolnir flying around and attacking all on its own, and I certainly wouldnt for movie Mjolnir, personally.

Dreampanther
Hmm, the question should really be whether Palpatine can take on Loki, as Palpatine's powers are much more sorcerer-like than warrior-like.

Thor's used to fighting magic (or people with magic-like powers) - he's had Loki and plenty of other sorcerers in Asgard to give him training, he's thousands of years old and in that time he spent most of it fighting - dark elves, frost giants, ogres, evil wizards, etc. He knows about magic swords (which a light-sabre is), and he IS the god of thunder and lightning, whatever form it may take.

When Thor confronted Loki his hammer nullified most of Loki' magic attacks, and when Loki slipped the enchanted dagger into his side he immediately fled, knowing that he didn't really stand a chance against an enraged Thor.

Palpatine should be no more significantly challenging than any other magic-user. I just don't think he has anything Thor can't counter.

Put simply - Thor has had to deal with more than one Palpatine in his life as a (if not THE) warrior-god. But I seriously doubt if Palpatine has ever encountered anybody even remotely like Thor.

KingD19
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Thor's used to fighting magic (or people with magic-like powers) - he's had Loki and plenty of other sorcerers in Asgard to give him training, he's thousands of years old and in that time he spent most of it fighting - dark elves, frost giants, ogres, evil wizards, etc. He knows about magic swords (which a light-sabre is), and he IS the god of thunder and lightning, whatever form it may take.

When Thor confronted Loki his hammer nullified most of Loki' magic attacks, and when Loki slipped the enchanted dagger into his side he immediately fled, knowing that he didn't really stand a chance against an enraged Thor.

We can only go by what we've seen. So we know Thor has fought and trained with Loki who has the most of what resembles "magic" in Asgard. Aside from that, he's fought Destroyer and I'm assuming Malekith has some magic-esque abilities in Dark World, but that's not out in the US yet. That's not enough evidence to say Thor has plenty of experience since Loki's "magic" is pretty much illusions from what we've seen.

And a lightsaber is not a magic sword. It's a blade of pure energy that cuts through pretty much anything once it makes contact. And considering Palpatine's fighting speed(all force users really) and how powerful the saber is. If and when he slips it past Thor's defense, Thor gets sliced and diced.

And that's not why Loki left. In Thor he was willing to fight Thor to the death despite knowing he'd more than likely lose.

Dreampanther
We can only go by what we've seen. So we know Thor has fought and trained with Loki who has the most of what resembles "magic" in Asgard. Aside from that, he's fought Destroyer and I'm assuming Malekith has some magic-esque abilities in Dark World, but that's not out in the US yet. That's not enough evidence to say Thor has plenty of experience since Loki's "magic" is pretty much illusions from what we've seen.

Going by what we see, Eric shows Jane a book of Norse mythology to try to explain who Thor really is. Therefore, to read about Thor's years of experience encountering tricky gods and magic-users, as suggested in the movie, go and get a book on Norse mythology.

Going by what we see, hmm, a glowing sword that can cut through nearly (emphasis on nearly) anything. That, my friend, is a magic sword.

No he wasn't - he was trapped like the desperate rat he is because his schemes didn't work and he fought desperately for his life like any cornered vermin - to no avail.

Look, all you're arguing is: I said he has experience fighting magic, and you say he doesn't. I say a light-sabre is similar to a magic sword, you say it isn't.

Rather tell me, in your opinion, how you think Palpatine will win.

FrothByte
If and when he slips it past Thor's defense, Thor gets sliced and diced.

If and when he slips past Thor's defense, that would be assuming he was succesfuly able to defend against Thor's attacks as well, which I don't see him doing. If he tries to block a hammer strike with his light saber the blow would probably rip the lightsaber from his hands if not fracture his arm in the process.

Mindset
Originally posted by DTM
Yes, its not because Palpatine couldnt saber block lightning, just like Jedi Knight level Kenobi did in AotC (also, in characters, throwing down lightning is not Thors normal way of attacking, especially when its not a group of characters, but a single foe only). Lmao at Palp blocking Thor's lightning.

Thor used lightning against IM. Last time I checked, he is one person.

He has used lightning every time he fought, except for his fight with Hulk.

Thor 10/10 accept it.

KingD19
I doubt Palpatine would try and match him blow for blow. Basic knowledge rule and all that. He knows the futility and potential fatal error of trying to outmuscle Thor. But he's easily fast enough to dodge a swing and slide his saber through Thor's wrist.

Mindset
If Thor has basic knowledge of what a lightsaber can do, why would he even give Palpatine a chance to get close to him?

FrothByte
I doubt Palpatine would try and match him blow for blow. Basic knowledge rule and all that. He knows the futility and potential fatal error of trying to outmuscle Thor. But he's easily fast enough to dodge a swing and slide his saber through Thor's wrist.

We need to establish whether the combatants know something about each other or not. If they know about each other, then Palpatine won't try to match Thor blow for blow but Thor will just keep hitting him from a distance anyway.

If they don't know anything about each other, Palpatine may try to duel Thor, in which case the first time he blocks mjolnir he'll get the lightsaber ripped from his hands... or he opens with his lightning which Thor will just tank through and probably retaliate with his own lightning or a hammer throw. This scenario seems more likely as these attacks are coincide with their standard attack procedures.

Lestov16
Thor and Palp have had prep on each other before the battle.

Silent Master
Force users big claim to fame regarding combat reflexes is blocking energy bolts, well Thor is able to do the same thing, difference is that he does it without pre-cog.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by DTM
Hmmmm, sure its there, but thats a very Old School example, Thor has changed heaps since then, so Im not sure Id go supporting Mjolnir flying around and attacking all on its own, and I certainly wouldnt for movie Mjolnir, personally.

He has only improved over the years. Why would he lose such a simple ability if he's been upgraded since then?

Newjak
Thor wins this pretty easily with flight and lightning and tornadoes.

Allankles
You guys need to accept that Palpatine can end this pretty quickly also, he has unpredictable force user speed,
and mastery of the one hitter quitter of sci fi - the lightsaber. He's also a master of storms, and lightning.

So cool fight, but by prediction of margin of error I go with Palps on this one.

Just the smarter killer.

Silent Master
Movie Palpatine is rather slow and not very powerful and lightsabers had a hard time with blast doors, not to mention that Thor's durability was shown to be very high.

Newjak
You guys need to accept that Palpatine can end this pretty quickly also, he has unpredictable force user speed,
and mastery of the one hitter quitter of sci fi - the lightsaber. He's also a master of storms, and lightning.

So cool fight, but by prediction of margin of error I go with Palps on this one.

Just the smarter killer. What are you talking about? Palps has no answer for Thor's flight. Secondly Thor has already pulled off the Force Users best combat speed feat by easily blocking laser fire.

Thor is also much stronger and possibly durable enough to take a lightsaber hit.

Thor wins this with any attack he chooses to employ.

Stealth Moose

Just the smarter killer.

What are you talking about? Sidious' speed feat was standing up, igniting his saber, growling, doing an M.Bison Psycho Crusher and then stopping, rearing his saber back, and then stabbing two Jedi before any of them react. I can't point out how incredibly out of context this point of the movie is taken routinely just to establish Sid's street-cred, since Mace put him on his ass with a front kick and virtually no speed, and Yoda outmaneuvered him all over the place. It's pretty much the only time he kicks any ass in the movies except for Luke "I won't use my saber" Skywalker.

Video of the infamous 'Speed Feat'

Thor would have split him in half with Mjolnir before he had the time to land and then rear back in his stupid stabbing motion.

Mindset

Just the smarter killer. Everything you said is wrong.

Rage.Of.Olympus

Just the smarter killer.

Unpredictable force user speed? Lol, Palpatine moves like an old man.

Lmao, calling Palpatine a master of storms and lightning in a thread with Thor.

What a bunch of nonsense bro.

Also, Thor's energy durability is massive. Loki stabbed him in the gut with Odin's spear while simultaneously blasting him he was perfectly fine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59qoIFbAAzE#t=3m0s

Him tanking a lightsaber is not out of the question.

Galan007
I don't see Thor tanking a lightsaber-strike. However, I also don't see Palps ever landing a lightsaber strike, so the point is moot regardless.

Mindset
Allankles is using EU feats, methinks.

Galan007
I think you're right. The 'speed' Palps displayed against Mace(and co.) in the film wasn't nearly as impressive as the novel's description of the same fight. Not even close.

And since the film is all we can use here, the feeble old man that Mace thrashed certainly isn't blitzing Thor.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Mindset
Allankles is using EU feats, methinks. I hope he is. It's only the way he could be making any sense right now. Movie Palpatine's a chump.

Galan007
Thor>Nick Fury>Palpatine.

Canon.

Lord Lucien
Thor>Nick Fury>Palpatine.

Canon. Lucas himself once stated that every character Samuel Jackson will ever play in his life is more powerful than Mace Windu. Who is >Palpatine.

Mindset
Lucas himself once stated that every character Samuel Jackson will ever play in his life is more powerful than Mace Windu. Who is >Palpatine. I recall that interview as well.

thumb up

Robtard
Thor wanking needs to stop.

Thor's going to do what Thor does most of the time, he's going to charge in cos he's impatient and try to play smashy with his silly hammer, then he's going to get his ass handed to him by the old decrepit looking man with the glowstick more times than naught.

Stealth Moose
Lucas himself once stated that every character Samuel Jackson will ever play in his life is more powerful than Mace Windu. Who is >Palpatine.

Quoted to take out of context in the future.

Silent Master
Like he did against the Frost giants where he threw the hammer, used a AOE charged hammer strike or the giant monster where he flew through it's head or Iron-man where he threw his hammer and used lighting or the Destroyer where he threw his hammer, used a tornado and forced it's energy beam back into it, or against Loki where he used lightning or against the aliens where he used lightning and threw his hammer.

Yea...all movie Thor does is try and slug it out....good call roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Lucien
He charges in, but he's really f*cking good at charging in.

Stealth Moose
Like he did against the Frost giants where he threw the hammer, used a AOE charged hammer strike or the giant monster where he flew through it's head or Iron-man where he threw his hammer and used lighting or the Destroyer where he threw his hammer, used a tornado and forced it's energy beam back into it, or against Loki where he used lightning or against the aliens where he used lightning and threw his hammer.

Yea...all movie Thor does is try and slug it out....good call roll eyes (sarcastic)

It's a lot easier for Robtard if he ignores the fact that Thor has to utilize intelligence to defeat enemies in addition to ridiculous strength and reflexes. Hence why he solos half of the jotun army, one-shots their biggest critter, takes out the SHIELD specially trained mercenaries like he's taking out the garbage, and basically is the only person in the Avengers who can contend with the Hulk. If Thor was a complete moron, he couldn't adapt to new fighting tactics and defeat numerous foes, especially when he was bereft of powers.

But Sidious, who can't overcome pun Yoda with his strength, can't TK the pod that Yoda sent up at him against gravity, and who fought Mace at 'frozen-molasses' speeds will definitely overcome him, because of the power of confirmation biasmiracles.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by DTM

That was just the first example I found. Here's one from like two weeks ago:

http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798835_Infinity_004-020.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798838_Infinity_004-021.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798844_Infinity_004-022.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798848_Infinity_004-023.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798850_Infinity_004-024.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798853_Infinity_004-025.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798857_Infinity_004-026.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798861_Infinity_004-027.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798865_Infinity_004-028.jpg

FrothByte
Originally posted by Lestov16
Thor and Palp have had prep on each other before the battle.

Then Thor fries Palpatine from a distance.

Wei Phoenix
That was just the first example I found. Here's one from like two weeks ago:

http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798835_Infinity_004-020.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798838_Infinity_004-021.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798844_Infinity_004-022.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798848_Infinity_004-023.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798850_Infinity_004-024.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798853_Infinity_004-025.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798857_Infinity_004-026.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798861_Infinity_004-027.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16798865_Infinity_004-028.jpg

That's still not current enough.

Robtard

Yea...all movie Thor does is try and slug it out....good call roll eyes (sarcastic) How many frost giants did he kill via hammer-throw compared to melee-smash?

The giant ice-beast he killed via you guessed it, charging straight at it.

Iirc, he jammed his hammer into the Destroyer's face, he was up close.

Loki's he's charged headfirst in and he's fought Loki more melee-style compared to long range attackings.

Against the chitauri he slugged it out a lot and did his maassive lightning charge only after Cap ordered him to.

So yes, It was a good call overall, Thor is far more a slugger than a tactical genius who sits back. smile

Robtard
It's a lot easier for Robtard if he ignores the fact that Thor has to utilize intelligence to defeat enemies in addition to ridiculous strength and reflexes. Hence why he solos half of the jotun army, one-shots their biggest critter, takes out the SHIELD specially trained mercenaries like he's taking out the garbage, and basically is the only person in the Avengers who can contend with the Hulk. If Thor was a complete moron, he couldn't adapt to new fighting tactics and defeat numerous foes, especially when he was bereft of powers.

But Sidious, who can't overcome pun Yoda with his strength, can't TK the pod that Yoda sent up at him against gravity, and who fought Mace at 'frozen-molasses' speeds will definitely overcome him, because of the power of confirmation biasmiracles. Thanks for proving my point, he sluuged it out with the giants, he chraged head first at the ice-beast, he slugged it out with the shield security team and he slugged it out with the Hulk thumb up

Do stop wanking Thor though.

Stealth Moose
So.... IF Thor blitzes Palpatine with his hammer and brings it down hard, THEN how is Palps going to defend against it? With unverifiable but somehow buffed strength? With TK that can't deflect an up-coming pod? With his lightsaber, that Yoda repeatedly knocked him around and broke their saber locks? Are you going to argue that Yoda would outmuscle Thor now?

Robtard
Dp

Silent Master
Make excuses all you want, movie Thor was shown to use AOE and ranged attacks in the majority of his fights.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>