Your top 5 games of 2013

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Estacado
Not in order.

Injustice
Arkham Origins
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Assassin Creed 4
GTA 5

-Pr-
That I've played (not in order):

GTA V
Arkham Origins
Splinter Cell Blacklist
WWE 2K14
Tomb Raider

Haven't had a chance to play Injustice, Last of Us or AC 4 just yet.

Estacado
Get injustice ultimate edition it's coming out on the 12th of November with all Dlc chars.Also try Ac 4 it's really good I played like 30 hours with it and Im still at 48% progress been doing sidequests mostly but it's an awesome game you can easily play 50-60 hours with it maybe more.

Tomb Raider was great definetly one of the best games of this year I chose Gta 5 over it though.

ScreamPaste
The Legend of Zelda, The Wind Waker
Pokemon X/Y
Pikmin 3
Rome: Total War II
Monster Hunter 3 U

-Pr-
Originally posted by Estacado
Get injustice ultimate edition it's coming out on the 12th of November with all Dlc chars.Also try Ac 4 it's really good I played like 30 hours with it and Im still at 48% progress been doing sidequests mostly but it's an awesome game you can easily play 50-60 hours with it maybe more.

Tomb Raider was great definetly one of the best games of this year I chose Gta 5 over it though.

I'll probably see about getting Injustice for Christmas. Not really pushed on the DLC though.

Impediment
In order:

The Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite
Batman: Arkham Origins
Dead Space 3
Diablo III (PS3)

ares834
Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite
Pokemon X/Y
GTA V
Tomb Raider

I'd assume that A Link between Worlds will find its way on my list once it released.

Zack Fair
In order

The Last of Us
Bioshock 3
Tomb Raider

Haven't played anything else from 2013 that I remember. Will play GTA5 sometime and that will probably make the list.

Grinning Goku
The Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite
GTA V

Those are the only 2013 games I've played and/or beaten and they were and are so, so awesome!!!

Kazenji
In no order

Tomb Raider
GTA 5
Bioshock Infinite
Arkham Origins

Originally posted by Impediment

Dead Space 3

wasn't that 2012

BackFire
1. Last of Us
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Tomb Raider
4. GTAV
5. Arkham Origins.

Impediment
Originally posted by Kazenji
wasn't that 2012

February 2013.

-Pr-
I almost had Hitman Absolution on mine, but the damn thing came out last November sad

Estacado
I have yet to play Dead Space 3....mmm

-Pr-
Don't. It's a ****ing travesty of a game. It's not even that it's unplayable of badly made. It's just everything that's wrong with gaming nowadays when it comes to AAA titles.

BackFire
Originally posted by -Pr-
Don't. It's a ****ing travesty of a game. It's not even that it's unplayable of badly made. It's just everything that's wrong with gaming nowadays when it comes to AAA titles.

100% right. Yes, **** I hated that game.

Kazenji
If your talking about the micro-transactions for that one

no one is forcing you to use them, I know i didn't even touch them.

-Pr-
If your talking about the micro-transactions for that one

no one is forcing you to use them, I know i didn't even touch them.

That's part of it, but not nearly all of it.

Kazenji
"Shrugs"

i enjoyed the game but i wouldn't say its a top game of 2013.

-Pr-
I was a late comer to Dead Space. My brother had played them way back when they came out and told me to get in to them, but I only did so last year, getting the first two on Steam on the cheap.

Playing the first two, and then playing three... I was just so disappointed by it all.

Impediment
Why does Dead Space 3 get so much hate?

It's not perfect and it's the third best entry of the series, but I enjoyed it.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
The Legend of Zelda, The Wind Waker erm

Estacado
Any more good games coming out this year?

-Pr-
Lego Marvel is out soon over here. The demo was promising, I thought, though it's not going to win any awards.

COD Ghosts? I kid, I kid.

BF4 is somewhat buggy at launch, but a lot of people seem pretty happy with it.

Estacado
Lego Marvel is out soon over here. The demo was promising, I thought, though it's not going to win any awards.

COD Ghosts? I kid, I kid.

BF4 is somewhat buggy at launch, but a lot of people seem pretty happy with it.
Gonna try COD and BF4 but not too hyped about either......

Anything else?

-Pr-
Gonna try COD and BF4 but not too hyped about either......

Anything else?

Some of the PS4/XBone stuff is being watched, though with their release dates being a bit iffy, I wouldn't count on seeing Killzone or Watch Dogs any time soon.

Estacado
So the next good thing will be Castlavania LOS 2 then....damn that's like 3 months away...

-Pr-
So the next good thing will be Castlavania LOS 2 then....damn that's like 3 months away...

I saw that there was a demo on PSN for that. Unless im thinking of something else?

Estacado
I saw that there was a demo on PSN for that. Unless im thinking of something else?
Pretty sure you are right.

-Pr-
Ah okay. I still need to play the first one lol

Demonic Phoenix

Wait, the demo's out? I thought it was exclusive to those who bought Mirror of Fate HD.

Shit, hope you're right.

Anyway, of the 6 major ones I've played this year (God of War: Ascension being the 6th one):

1. GTA V
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Tomb Raider
4. ACIV: Black Flag
5. Injustice: Gods Among Us

Estacado
Well its not on the 360 market place just checked....

Smasandian
I didn't mind Dead Space 3.

The Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite
Grand Theft Auto 5
Battlefield 4
Tomb Raider

In that order.

-Pr-
I just checked, and it's called Mirror of Fate. Is that a sequel?

Estacado
I just checked, and it's called Mirror of Fate. Is that a sequel?
Sequel to Lords of Shadow 1 originally it was a 3DS game but now its on PSN and Marketplace.

-Pr-
Sequel to Lords of Shadow 1 originally it was a 3DS game but now its on PSN and Marketplace.

oh okay, my bad.

Estacado
oh okay, my bad.
It includes the demo so you were right though...stick out tongue

Arachnid1
1. Splinter Cell Blacklist
2. Battlefield 4
3. The Last of Us
4. Assassins Creed 4
5. Tomb Raider

-Pr-
It includes the demo so you were right though...stick out tongue

ah lol, okay.

BackFire
Originally posted by Impediment
Why does Dead Space 3 get so much hate?

It's not perfect and it's the third best entry of the series, but I enjoyed it.

I wrote a fairly in-depth review on the DS3 thread, you can look there for details on why I personally disliked it so much. In short, it just to me felt like a mediocre action game and an awful horror game.

Kazenji
Ah okay. I still need to play the first one lol

They're bringing out a collection for the first one...Including the DLC & Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/10/09/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-collection-release-date

RedX1852
In Order
GTA5
Batman Arkham Origins
Battlefield 4
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Injustice(Would be Higher if we had the last 2 DLC Characters)

Bentley
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
The Legend of Zelda, The Wind Waker
Pokemon X/Y
Pikmin 3
Rome: Total War II
Monster Hunter 3 U

I don't even think I agree with this top if we are talking exclusively of games released in Nintendo consoles.

But let's face it, my list is something like:

1) Pokemon X/Y
2) Who cares.

I really wanted to have Kaiju Combat this year sad

Kostabot
In No Order

GTA V
Bioshock Infinite
Metro Last Light
Skyrim
Max Payne 3

Barker
Originally posted by Kostabot
Skyrim
bg

Kazenji
^ Yeah and also Max Payne 3.

wakkawakkawakka
Well I don't have a very broad list of games I've played this year(have yet to play GTA V yet) but here it goes:

1. The Last of Us
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Splinter Cell Blacklist
4. Tomb Raider
5. Injustice: Gods Among us

S_D_J
1. The Last of Us
2. GTAV
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Injustice: Gods among Us
5. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I have yet to play, Arkham Origins, Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider. I wouldn't touch AssCred with a ten foot pole... unless both the game and the pole are free. Don't play neither BF nor COD, but given the opportunity I'd choose BF4

Kazenji
Why do you hate Assassins Creed so much?

Zack Fair
1. GTA 5
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. The last of us
4. Tomb Raider
5. Far Cry 5

Kostabot
Originally posted by Barker
bg

derp. stick out tongue

Kostabot
I'm just getting back in to PC gaming after a 4 year bake. Have had a PS3 for the last 2 years but only ever played a few titles on it including Max Payne 3, GTAV, A A coupe COD Games, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, Demon Souls. And that was really pretty much it for me.

Always loved PC gaming and really missed it. Back in the game now with my new puuter. God times ahead. Have just finished Metro last Light.

Also playing through the STALKER sequel.

Nephthys
I'm pleased to see Tomb Raider on so many lists. I just got it today so that spells good for me! big grin

BackFire
Yeah, I enjoyed it way more than I thought. I've never been a fan of the series before, so that might have something to do with it, but I liked a lot of the changes they made.

Zack Fair
thumb up

I stopped enjoying the series after TR2.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'm pleased to see Tomb Raider on so many lists. I just got it today so that spells good for me! big grin

Knowing you, you'll prolly fall in love with Reboot Lara. But yes, it's an excellent game.

Nephthys
Fingers crossed. Just finished installing it. brb in a few days.

Kazenji
Noticed i left out a 5th game for my list, Splinter Cell: Blacklist can go on there.

-Pr-
I wish I could add games I played for the first time in 2013, but alas...

I'm supposed to be getting Last of Us for Christmas, so I'll see how that plays. Looking forward to it.

MooCowofJustice
I've hardly played any games posted in this thread. But some of them I know I'd really get into.

Some of you mentioned X and Y, which make my list. But only Paste mentioned a few others. I'd have liked to try Rome: Total War II. Same with Civilization V and it's expansion packs. I just don't have a decent enough computer. Bleh.

I've essentially refused to further support Assassin's Creed as a series, and though I played Bioshock Infinite I was disappointed. I want to try out Lego Marvel, too.

So I have a top game, and that's about it so far. X and Y are awesome.

S_D_J
Why do you hate Assassins Creed so much?

Sequel Fatigue. I like the first one a lot, despite the bugs, and the second one was pretty sweet, but then they annualized it and i couldn't catch up... honestly I just don't have the time to follow a plot with blatantly no end in sight, I heard good things about Black Flag, but I'm pretty much burned

I'd rather start fresh with Watch Dogs

Estacado
Try Black Flag I was the same as you got bored of Ac after the 2nd havent play 3 and the ones after 2 but 4 is totally worth it Imo.

Smasandian
I'm having fun with AC4.

AsbestosFlaygon
The Last of Us
Assassin's Creed 4
GTA5
Pokemon X/Y
NBA 2K14 (XBOX1/PS4 version)

-Pr-
Originally posted by S_D_J
Sequel Fatigue. I like the first one a lot, despite the bugs, and the second one was pretty sweet, but then they annualized it and i couldn't catch up... honestly I just don't have the time to follow a plot with blatantly no end in sight, I heard good things about Black Flag, but I'm pretty much burned

I honestly felt like Brotherhood and Revelations were improvements over the second game. Sure, they're shorter, and have their niggles, but they're a lot of fun imo.

Kazenji
Been getting through the 3rd game, The story for it isn't quite as good as what they had with AC 2 to Revelations

I just don't have the time to follow a plot with blatantly no end in sight,

Well they did reach an end with AC3 from what i hear with all the Desmond stuff and end of the world plot.

S_D_J
I honestly felt like Brotherhood and Revelations were improvements over the second game. Sure, they're shorter, and have their niggles, but they're a lot of fun imo.

By the time I was gonna get to Brotherhood, AC3 was to be released, so I just gave up. Waited for AC3 (the launch trailer was sweet) but then it came out and it was received poorly (as in the worst AssCreed yet by many). By that time WD was more concrete.
I had zero interest in Black Flag on the premise that it stars a fellow named Kenway, thus having a connection to AC3 beyond Desmond, so I just chose to ignore it.

Been getting through the 3rd game, The story for it isn't quite as good as what they had with AC 2 to Revelations

Well they did reach an end with AC3 from what i hear with all the Desmond stuff and end of the world plot.

I read about the Desmond stuff in Black Flag, sounds good.

I think I'll wait a bit before picking up AC4. It sounds like they fixed many of the issues I had with the previous games (such as Desmond)

... then again I said the same thing about Brotherhood no expression

BloodRawEngine

I'd be inclined to agree if it weren't for AC1 still being the worst in the series. If there was a franchise that warranted criticism by way of sequel fatigue, it's Ratchet and Clank, but barring that, many of AC4's flaws are mostly based on backsteps from AC2/Brotherhood/3.

Jmanghan
1. Saints Row IV

2. AC4

3. Injustice

4. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

5. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX

Smasandian
Well, AC4 is the best game in the series but I really think they need to let up on the series. Even though AC4 was a lot of fun I cannot see myself being interested if they do the same thing for next AC.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Smasandian
Well, AC4 is the best game in the series but I really think they need to let up on the series. Even though AC4 was a lot of fun I cannot see myself being interested if they do the same thing for next AC.

Same thing as in, more pirates? Or the frequency of their release?

Smasandian
Pirates, Caribbean, sailing around in ships and whatnot.

I liked AC3 because it was something different than previous games. Roaming around in the forest and climbing trees was something interesting instead of just running around in big cities.

I really liked AC4 because it was a lot different previous games. It also reminded me of playing Sid Meirs Pirates years ago in the early 90's.

But if the next AC is the same as AC4, I won't be interested. What else can they do with that setting?

I would love to see AC go to the west. Samurais, martial arts sounds fun. Or maybe go even more modern....

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Jmanghan
1. Saints Row IV

2. AC4

3. Injustice

4. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

5. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX

While I haven't played the majority of your list, SR IV is my favorite game of this year and perhaps one of the most fun games I have ever played.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
While I haven't played the majority of your list, SR IV is my favorite game of this year and perhaps one of the most fun games I have ever played. I know, right? big grin. If only they had competitive online gameplay and a bigger fan-base. Also... Let's face it, SR IV is lacking in the graphics department, being comparable to games like Black Ops 2 e.e Not that bad, but graphics are a huge thing nowadays.

-Pr-
Pirates, Caribbean, sailing around in ships and whatnot.

I liked AC3 because it was something different than previous games. Roaming around in the forest and climbing trees was something interesting instead of just running around in big cities.

I really liked AC4 because it was a lot different previous games. It also reminded me of playing Sid Meirs Pirates years ago in the early 90's.

But if the next AC is the same as AC4, I won't be interested. What else can they do with that setting?

I would love to see AC go to the west. Samurais, martial arts sounds fun. Or maybe go even more modern....

Oh; okay, that's fair enough I think. From what I've read they won't go modern enough to the point where semi-automatics were widely available (one of the devs, iirc, said it would screw up the kind of game they want people to play), but yeah, I'd be happy with a different setting.

I would, ideally, want to play as a ninja in China or Japan during those times.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I know, right? big grin. If only they had competitive online gameplay and a bigger fan-base. Also... Let's face it, SR IV is lacking in the graphics department, being comparable to games like Black Ops 2 e.e Not that bad, but graphics are a huge thing nowadays.

SR IV does have some competitive gameplay, though not to the level of SR II (which is also on Steam).

Also, graphics-wise it's more than adequate.

Besides, where else can you see crap like this?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
SR IV does have some competitive gameplay, though not to the level of SR II (which is also on Steam).

Also, graphics-wise it's more than adequate.

Besides, where else can you see crap like this? But more then adequete, and only that, its ok to ignore it though, due to the vast amount of fun you can have in the game

Smasandian
Oh; okay, that's fair enough I think. From what I've read they won't go modern enough to the point where semi-automatics were widely available (one of the devs, iirc, said it would screw up the kind of game they want people to play), but yeah, I'd be happy with a different setting.

I would, ideally, want to play as a ninja in China or Japan during those times.

I heard that too.

I think everybody wants to play an AC game in Asia. I read somewhere that it wouldn't work for an AC game.....which I think is crazy.

-Pr-
I heard that too.

I think everybody wants to play an AC game in Asia. I read somewhere that it wouldn't work for an AC game.....which I think is crazy.

I really don't see why, to be honest. The game might be somewhat more stealth-based than the others (and thankfully, the games did feel like stealth got more accomplished with each new one), but I can't imagine why it would be an issue.

Not to mention how you could go pretty far back in to ancient Asia, or come forward right up until the 19th century (Last Samurai comes to mind). The architecture in a lot of those times would easily support a free-running model of game, I think, and the weapons could be quite varied and interesting. They could even have a more martial arts inspired combat system to freshen things up like you said.

One of my favourite things about Assassin's Creed as a series is that because it's all "memories" then you can pick almost any time period and go nuts with it.

BackFire
Well, they'd probably have to completely rework stealth, as that's been probably the weakest aspect in the entire series thus far. They seem to just have real problems making good stealth sections. Seems to be based on their reliance on automatic contextual stealth mechanics rather than letting the player use normal stealth mechanics (ducking) as he sees fit.

-Pr-
Originally posted by BackFire
Well, they'd probably have to completely rework stealth, as that's been probably the weakest aspect in the entire series thus far. They seem to just have real problems making good stealth sections. Seems to be based on their reliance on automatic contextual stealth mechanics rather than letting the player use normal stealth mechanics (ducking) as he sees fit.

Yeah. I'm not saying it's perfect or anything, just that it got better as the games went on (in Brotherhood, I had a far easier time being stealthy than say, in the first game).

The lack of a crouch button like you said, is somewhat strange and needs to be addressed. At least in Black Flag I think it was, they added a "snap to cover" feature.

jinXed by JaNx
Of the games that I played and can most remember at the moment

Tomb Raider
Far Cry 3
Grand Theft Auto 5
Dishonered
MEtro Last Light

Smasandian
Yeah. I'm not saying it's perfect or anything, just that it got better as the games went on (in Brotherhood, I had a far easier time being stealthy than say, in the first game).

The lack of a crouch button like you said, is somewhat strange and needs to be addressed. At least in Black Flag I think it was, they added a "snap to cover" feature.

I agree that AC4 is better at stealth than all of them but it still needs to get better.

It's gets kind of boring because stealth in AC4 = moving around in high grass. And there is a lot of high grass.

A duck button would be nice. And dare I say, a cover system?

-Pr-
I agree that AC4 is better at stealth than all of them but it still needs to get better.

It's gets kind of boring because stealth in AC4 = moving around in high grass. And there is a lot of high grass.

A duck button would be nice. And dare I say, a cover system?

Agreed. I'm not asking for Splinter Cell levels of stealth or anything, but these guys are supposed to be assassins that have kept themselves hidden from the world for centuries. They need to work on it.

Demonic Phoenix
The stealth mechanics in Black Flag are virtually unchanged when compared to those of 3 (contextual crouching in certain areas, hiding behind corners, whistling when hidden, etc.).
It's simply far more noticeable in Black Flag as it had more sections designed around stealth, and the blow pipe, a ridiculously overpowered weapon for Black Flag's stealth gameplay.

As for Assassin's Creed in Eastern Asia, f*** yes

-Pr-
Yeah I remember seeing that art. Looks fantastic.

Smasandian
I think it would totally work. Just think about samurai in battles....there so many different weapons you can use. I would love the see AC go towards huge field battles instead of smalll skirmishes.

Nephthys
There is only one right answer:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/bea5200ae323635d0e57e8caea144080/tumblr_mxzbpdjsvb1rpq7lpo1_500.png

1. Namco High
2. Namco High
3. Namco High
4. Namco High
5. Grand Thef- just ****ing kidding ******* its Namco High again.

/thread

jinXed by JaNx
Damn, I forgot about, Dragons Dogma. That's totally top 3

BloodRawEngine
Dragon's Dogma came out in 2012. Dark Arisen was just an expansion.

But hell, I'd argue that it's one of the generation's most underrated RPG's.

Kazenji

https://31.media.tumblr.com/bea5200ae323635d0e57e8caea144080/tumblr_mxzbpdjsvb1rpq7lpo1_500.png

1. Namco High
2. Namco High
3. Namco High
4. Namco High

/thread

Yeah a dating sim.....****ing awesome roll eyes (sarcastic)

Estacado
So no one listed Crysis 3?
While it was short I found myself replaying it 3-4 times also Lego Marvel is an addition to my list.

Smasandian
I thought Crysis 3 was disappointing. It was just meh.

Bardock42

1. Namco High
2. Namco High
3. Namco High
4. Namco High

/thread

So...did you like Namco High?

I don't think I even played 5 games that were released in 2013.

The Last of Us was fantastic though. Bioshock Infinite was very good. I enjoyed Rayman Legends....and I think that's it for what I played of this year's games.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Bardock42
So...did you like Namco High?

I don't think I even played 5 games that were released in 2013.

It was ok. I give it a 5, maybe a 5.5 out of 10.

I know I haven't.

-Pr-
That I've played (not in order):

GTA V
Arkham Origins
Splinter Cell Blacklist
WWE 2K14
Tomb Raider

Haven't had a chance to play Injustice, Last of Us or AC 4 just yet.

Edited list:

GTA V
Arkham Origins
Injustice Gods Among Us
Lego Marvel Superheroes
Tomb Raider

Recently got my hands on Last of Us, and just started playing it. Very encouraging start, so I can see it being on the list if it keeps it up.

Estacado
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
The stealth mechanics in Black Flag are virtually unchanged when compared to those of 3 (contextual crouching in certain areas, hiding behind corners, whistling when hidden, etc.).
It's simply far more noticeable in Black Flag as it had more sections designed around stealth, and the blow pipe, a ridiculously overpowered weapon for Black Flag's stealth gameplay.

As for Assassin's Creed in Eastern Asia, f*** yes
Yup once you get berserk darts every stealth mission becomes a walk in the park.

Smasandian
Yep!

They need to rework stealth in the series. Or just get rid of it.

Estacado
Not to be an ass but AC has one of the weakest stealth systems after playing both Arkham Origins and Splinter Cell it felt like a last gen game...ermm

Impediment
I've only played the first Assassin's Creed game and it was so painfully boring that I never even finished it and haven't played any AC games since.

Smasandian
Yeah, the first AC was a beautiful tech demo. Other than that, it was a piece of shit.

Nephthys
I liked it.

ACII is a marked improvement in every area though. A truly stellar game imo.

-Pr-
Assassin's Creed I was all right imo. It did have some serious flaws. II just happened to address almost all of them, and was, imo, a massive jump in quality.

Brotherhood and Revelations are excellent too.

For me, it's only a couple of small complaints keep that trilogy from being true 10/10s.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.