Can current Superman withstand adamantium claws???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Curious...can DCNU withstand adamantium claws from Wolverine? Two swipes from Wolvy.

Branlor Swift
Probably not.

Though this thread can only go downhill from here

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Probably not.

Though this thread can only go downhill from here

StiltmanFTW
First swipe slices his head off, next one cuts him in half.

Then Aquaman avenges him by throwing a starfish at Wolverine.

Warlord
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

laughing

Mshinu
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

thumb up

ShadowFyre
I never really understood the plot device that is Wolverine. Adamantium doesen't make things "sharper" only stronger. His claw cones dont even have a sharp cutting edge only a strong point for stabbing. So no he shouldnt be able to. But he also shouldnt be able to cut anyone even in Things durability. Stab them maybe.But still doubtful given his strength level.

DarkSaint85
It depends on how sharp they are.

If they are only a molecule thick at their extreme end, then yes, their strength and toughness would mean the tips would never dull.

StiltmanFTW
@Shadow

It depends on the artist, often they're shown as thin razor-like blades... stated on panel as being less than 1 millimetre thick.

And they were sharpened to the point they could cut through near anything. Described that way on-panel. What more you can want...

DarkSaint85
How are they sharpened, btw?

StiltmanFTW
That's a good question - wasn't revealed. Antarctic vibranium (anti-metal) would be my guess...

ShadowFyre
Oh. Didnt remeber them being sharpened. I thought they just covered his non edged bone ckaws and they somehow became that sharp. Makes more sense I guess.

Mshinu
Wolvie probably sharpens the claws on his indestructable chest hair.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Oh. Didnt remeber them being sharpened. I thought they just covered his non edged bone ckaws and they somehow became that sharp. Makes more sense I guess.

I believe handbooks use the "explanation" you mentioned. That lacing them with adamantium made the already razor-sharp edge even sharper. Hard to imagine, but it's comics.

Bone claws were also edged, he cut a Danger Room robot in half with them. It all depends on the artist, some of them are just lazy and all we can see is a round shape which would be good only for stabby-stab using the real world logic, as you pretty much said. They should be either like razor blades or at least have a triangular cross-section (thick, but capable of cutting).

Originally posted by Mshinu
Wolvie probably sharpens the claws on his indestructable chest hair.

laughing out loud

He was shown using a whetstone in Guggenheim's run, lol.

janus77
So long as they're just in the room with him and not in anyway attacking his body, yes Superman can withstand them shifty.

Enjoy it while it lasts, this is like Thor getting KOed everytime he appears in a comic. A short but sweet period of correction for all the shit that he does (that he shouldn't be able to do), for the sake of his fanatical following.

ShadowFyre
Guess I just saw the lazy artists lol. I like to re profile and sharpen blades as a hobby so maybe Im looking into it to much. And Thor has a reason for doing these things. He is a god and has one of the most powerful weapons in the universe. Magic covers just as mmanythings as the power cosmic. They all have a reason for doing the things hes doing. The plot.

janus77
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Guess I just saw the lazy artists lol. I like to re profile and sharpen blades as a hobby so maybe Im looking into it to much. And Thor has a reason for doing these things. He is a god and has one of the most powerful weapons in the universe. Magic covers just as mmanythings as the power cosmic. They all have a reason for doing the things hes doing. The plot.
Nope, Thor makes ****-all sense, when he wins via PIS.

His father (the source of Mjolnir's powers), is a piddling skyfather, it's only PIS (Gaeia's spark or whatever) that allows him to survive fights with characters that would splatter Odin across the heavens.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by janus77
Nope, Thor makes ****-all sense, when he wins via PIS.

His father (the source of Mjolnir's powers), is a piddling skyfather, it's only PIS (Gaeia's spark or whatever) that allows him to survive fights with characters that would splatter Odin across the heavens.

Anyway, back to Superman, yeah, his ass would get shredded by the claws.

Bentley
NU Superman would be hurt, but he'd take it better than Gladiator, that's for sure.

I stand by my opinion that Post Crisis Kal would be able to tank them unfazed.

Galan007
Originally posted by Bentley
NU Superman would be hurt, but he'd take it better than Gladiator and Thanos, that's for sure. FTFY. thumb up

StiltmanFTW
You're sure it's not spelled Thanus? shocklaugh

Galan007
Meh, tomato/tomoto. Same difference. thumb up

Cogito
I'm curious what instances of Superman being sliced and diced leads people to believe he'd be hurt here

DarkSaint85
DCnU Supes?

emporerpants
pre-boot Supes tanks it with a laugh.

DCnU Supes gets cut, but not enough to be seriously injured.

I think most people are basing this off of the fact that DCnU Supes hasn't show durability even remotely close to Pre-boot Supes. People shouldn't be basing it off of what happened with He-Man though, as prince adam's sword is magical, and wolvie's claws obviously are not, unless we count PIS as magic.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by emporerpants
pre-boot Supes tanks it with a laugh.

DCnU Supes gets cut, but not enough to be seriously injured.

I think most people are basing this off of the fact that DCnU Supes hasn't show durability even remotely close to Pre-boot Supes. People shouldn't be basing it off of what happened with He-Man though, as prince adam's sword is magical, and wolvie's claws obviously are not, unless we count PIS as magic.

I am basing my opinion on Doomsday shooting his bone claws straight through amped pre-boot Superman's shoulder, as h1 would say, like liquid.

Yes, Wolverine is weaker. But I wager his claws are sharper, and so would need less force to pierce him. They would also be stronger I believe, and so more force could be transferred.

And if that happened to pre-boot, even you seem to think DCnU is less durable. Don;t forget also, that Wolverine has the luxury of picking and choosing with his hits, its not like Superman is fighting back or dodging.

Galan007
I don't think H/P DD shish-kabobbing an amped pre-boot Supes automatically means that Wolvie could do the same. /shrug

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Galan007
I don't think H/P DD shish-kabobbing an amped pre-boot Supes automatically means that Wolvie could do the same. /shrug

Considering the showings and the beings he's pierced, why not?

I mean, its really a function of two things:

1. Superman's durability
2. Wolverine's pierciningity.

We know that despite tanking black holes, Omega beams etc etc etc, Superman HAS been pierced before. And we know that despite other beings withstanding black holes, super strength punches etc etc, Wolverine HAS managed to get through them (Gladiator, Thanos).

emporerpants
Even me? What exactly do you mean by that? Have you seen any of my posts involving Nu52 Supes? I think he is much weaker than pre-boot. Anyway, why does Doomsday doing something mean that Wolverine can do it? The strength difference is astronomical. A tornado can put a piece of straw through a telephone pole, but there is no way that you or I could. That is the difference strength makes.

Could Wolvie's claws pierce pre-boot Supes? Sure, but only if someone much stronger than Wolverine swung them.

Galan007
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Considering the showings and the beings he's pierced, why not? Because H/P DD =/= Wolverine.

DarkSaint85
Fine.

Is Glads' piercing durability close enough to Superman?

Galan007
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/No_14c07c_1811129.gif

Not touching that one, dooder.

Cogito
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Fine.

Is Glads' piercing durability close enough to Superman?

Maybe someone can correct me, but I can't think off the top of my head of any instances of non-magical items piercing Superman other than Doomsday.

If that is correct, then no, Gladiator's piercing durability is not equal to Superman's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.