Maleficent (2014)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marwash22
Plot Synopsis:
The "Sleeping Beauty" tale is told from the perspective of the villainous Maleficent and looks at the events that hardened her heart and drove her to curse young Princess Aurora.

http://assets-s3.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/68005-angelina-jolies-fierce-scary-maleficent-movie-poster-revealed-picture/1384269948_maleficent-angelina-jolie-lg.jpg

Starring: Angelina Jolie, Juno Temple, Elle Fanning & Sharlto Copley.

704EXbJ-b5k

Slowpoke
I still think Jolie is good but might not be the best choice to play her.

the ninjak
This could be her comeback but she needs to eat something.
The trailer doesn't give enough to get me interested but I can't see why such a plot wouldn't.
Too much CG. Screw this CG garbage. It's like watching an old Red and Blue 3D movie. Too distracting seperating the real imagery and the fake.
I want to like this because Disney is at its best when it plays the horror angle.

BruceSkywalker
looks good

siriuswriter
I'm interested in seeing how Maleficent tells the Sleeping Beauty story...
so I'll probably see this.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by the ninjak
This could be her comeback but she needs to eat something.
To play this character I'd actually she needs to stop eating altogether. Maleficent was wafer thin.

Impediment
Pass.

Flyattractor
Def a wait for home rent via redbox/Netflix/StoreDVDRental....whatever...

Lestov16
Phuck Angelina Jolie. She'll do this crap but won't do the sequel to Salt. What a quim.

And yea
Originally posted by Impediment
Pass.

thumb up

Galan007
Am I the only one who cannot stand the 'accents' Jolie uses in her films? They're just... Terrible.

Lord Lucien
They are. Soon as she opened her mouth in Alexander I stopped paying attention to anything else.

Stealth Moose
Yup. Also, Salt 2 should happen. Not this.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Yup. Also, Salt 2 should happen. Not this.

Why should she do a Salt 2?
The movie was originally written with Cruise in mind.
He turned it down because of his commitment to the MI franchise.

If anything a Mr & Mrs Smith sequel would be a better follow-up choice.

Lord Lucien
Nah, that had a good ending. I'd hate to see it get all sequeled up. Salt needs a sequel.

Lestov16
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

But then she tailor-made it to make her "the ultimate female action hero", and indeed she was. Besides the thing with the handcuffs, I can't think of anything I disliked about the film. Salt is her baby, and she needs to nurse it because it was great,

Speaking of Cruise and sequels, I would love to see a sequel to Knight and Day. Put Cameron Diaz in the background (or write her out), but Roy Miller was phucking awesome.

And a last sequel I wish would happen but won't: From Paris With Love. John Travolta was off-the-chain badass. The movie was a blast to watch and Wax should have his own franchise. Will never happen though sad

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Lestov16

And a last sequel I wish would happen but won't: From Paris With Love. John Travolta was off-the-chain badass. The movie was a blast to watch and Wax should have his own franchise. Will never happen though sad

Do you remember the ending to "From Paris"?
I've never seen a movie end with 2 women getting brutally killed.
Travolta shoots one point blank in the face & the other guy shoots his gf/sleeper terrorist.

Stealth Moose

If anything a Mr & Mrs Smith sequel would be a better follow-up choice.

Salt is much better than MI. And Hollywood needs more strong female heroines versus cool spec op dudes.

Esau Cairn
Sorry but I found Salt to be nothing special. The plot was too convoluted & some of the action scenes could've been handled better.
I think there's a Director's Cut with an alternate ending which implies that even the American President was an orphan raised by a Russian family...implying that he was a sleeper agent as well.
Like I said, too convoluted.

Kazenji
Mustn't be that convoluted if you can understand it.

Lestov16
Do you remember the ending to "From Paris"?
I've never seen a movie end with 2 women getting brutally killed.
Travolta shoots one point blank in the face & the other guy shoots his gf/sleeper terrorist.

They were both terrorists. The latter mentioned one was about to suicide bomb a building full of innocent people.

I'm not sure what your point is erm

CheshireMoon
I'm kinda excited about this!

the ninjak
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
To play this character I'd actually she needs to stop eating altogether. Maleficent was wafer thin.

Then cast somebody else. Ultra thin Jolie is not good to look at. It's Wanted all over again.

Disney used to pride itself in using actors and voice actors who were perfect for the role alongside visual art that suited the story.

This looks like a high budget yet poorly envisioned set of videogame cutscenes, with human actors oddly filmed within such effects.

I've learnt to not judge a film by its trailer but this trailer reeked of desperation. Alice in Wonderland all over again.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by the ninjak
Then cast somebody else. Ultra thin Jolie is not good to look at. I never thought Maleficent was good to look at. Ultra thin creepy skeletor witch seems appropriate here.

Esau Cairn
They were both terrorists. The latter mentioned one was about to suicide bomb a building full of innocent people.

I'm not sure what your point is erm

My point was that I've never seen a movie that ended with 2 women getting brutally killed. The shock of seeing a woman get shot point blank in the face by Travolta kinda lingered more than the actual story did.

Lestov16
If seeing a terrorist get shot in the face is shocking just because of their gender, perhaps you should modernize your views?

Lord Lucien
My point was that I've never seen a movie that ended with 2 women getting brutally killed. Then you have not truly lived.

Esau Cairn
If seeing a terrorist get shot in the face is shocking just because of their gender, perhaps you should modernize your views?

Famous Director: "Yeah in this scene, not only do you get to rape & torture the female lead but you get to kill her brutally afterwards.
BUT IT'S OK she's really a terrorist & your fans will understand & respect you for it."

Tom Hanks: "Oh OK...as long as she's a terrorist..."

roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lestov16
You are comparing the instant death of one terrorist (READ: TERRORIST), and the tragic death of the other (in which the guy begged her not to try to detonate the bomb which was going to kill innocent people before he was forced to shoot her) with prolonged sadistic rape, torture, and murder?

Not only do you have antiquated views on gender, but you seem to have difficulty making simple logical comparisons. Not good.

Esau Cairn

Not only do you have antiquated views on gender, but you seem to have difficulty making simple logical comparisons. Not good.

And you're missing my point entirely.
I wasn't sharing an opinion (as I have none in the matter), I was simply stating that I've never seen a movie before that ended in 2 women getting shot, one after the other.
When someone mentions From Paris...the only memorable scene that comes to my mind is Travolta's character shooting a woman.

Did he try & arrest her for interrogation?
No.
He shot her in the face & THEN explained his reasoning afterwards.

TheOneFirestorm
Can't wait to see a teaser.

Disney should make more live action movies of ones made such as Aladdin.

Lauren2
I am a great fan of Robert Stromberg and this is one of the movies of 2014 that I am really looking forward to watch.

ares834
_pgmFAOgm5E

Gotta say I'm surprised, this actually looks good.

vansonbee
It does look good from the trailer. Throughout it, I felt Angie Jolie was no longer in the movie, she was definitely Maleficent in my eyes!

I can't shake the feeling that there a plot twist in where Maleficent has a alternate ending to the fairy tail.

marwash22
Jolie is perfectly cast in this role.

BruceSkywalker
saw the trailer during those sorry ass grammy awards, this looks really good

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by CheshireMoon
I'm kinda excited about this!
me as well
Kingdom hearts sparked some kind of disney anime kid in me when it came out. I realized it was still there upon seeing the commercial

Patient_Leech
Yeah, looks good. Looks like it's in the same vein as Lord of the Rings. Attack of the CGI might get annoying, though..

quanchi112
Looks very good from the previews and this is one I didn't care about prior to. Definitely seeing this in the theatre.

siriuswriter
More trailers and clips! Apparently, Maleficent once had wings -

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/watch-angelina-jolie-casts-a-spell-in-new-maleficent-trailer-1201137867/

She reminds me a lot of the Death Angel in American Horror Story : Asylum.

ares834
Hmm, seems they are turning Maleficent into almost a misunderstood anti-hero. Not a fan of that.

quanchi112
Originally posted by ares834
Hmm, seems they are turning Maleficent into almost a misunderstood anti-hero. Not a fan of that. Why not ? It is a clever spin. Quit begging for the same old thing.

Robtard
Originally posted by siriuswriter
More trailers and clips! Apparently, Maleficent once had wings -

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/watch-angelina-jolie-casts-a-spell-in-new-maleficent-trailer-1201137867/

She reminds me a lot of the Death Angel in American Horror Story : Asylum.

Meh, get the Snow White and the Huntsman and Oz feel all mashed together, which is a shame, since the former was complete crap and the later was just okay at best. Excitement I had from the initial teaser is gone.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
Meh, get the Snow White and the Huntsman and Oz feel all mashed together, which is a shame, since the former was complete crap and the later was just okay at best. Excitement I had from the initial teaser is gone. Rob doing his all knowing prediction this movie stinks thing.

Robtard
More proof that I say stuff and Quanchi can't handle it.

quanchi112
More proof that I say stuff and Quanchi can't handle it. You are close minded. I know it. You know it. I just feel sorry for you.

Tammi
Maleficent is one of those once in a life time, over the top roles that you have to put all your time into to get the character perfect. I have a feeling Angelina Jolie is going to be really good in it, in particular with the movie being named after the character. And come on you can't put a movie out without a strong performance from the title character. Yo Angelina! You rock woman!

ajay83810
When will Cinema tickets be on sale?

quanchi112
Originally posted by ajay83810
When will Cinema tickets be on sale? Probably are now.

Nephthys
Unless Maleficent boinks Aurora I'm not gonna bother with this.

Lesbian Dragon Queen or GTFO. estahuh

ares834
Originally posted by quanchi112
Why not ? It is a clever spin. Quit begging for the same old thing.

It's not a "clever spin" as it's been done many times before. Making a movie where a truly evil villain is the protagonist rather than a misunderstood anti-hero wouldn't be "the same old thing" but rather incredibly original. I mean, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single movie where that happens. Perhaps the film would be uncompelling, but I like Maleficent to be a total evil witch who traffics in demons and curses a kingdom simply because she wasn't invited to a party.

dadudemon
The wife wants to see this tomorrow night and is taking me to the movie. smile

I look forward to our little date.

Robtard
Have her give you a nice tug-job from me.

marwash22
why not give it to him yourself, Rob, WHY NOT GIVE IT TO HIM YOURSELF!?!

quanchi112
It's not a "clever spin" as it's been done many times before. Making a movie where a truly evil villain is the protagonist rather than a misunderstood anti-hero wouldn't be "the same old thing" but rather incredibly original. I mean, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single movie where that happens. Perhaps the film would be uncompelling, but I like Maleficent to be a total evil witch who traffics in demons and curses a kingdom simply because she wasn't invited to a party. This is a clever spin since it is totally the opposite from what I gather than from the typical fairy tale.

I will see this tonight at 7 pm.

Nephthys
From what I've heard the movie does try to make Maleficent too sympathetic and I agree that it would have been far better to have her as an evil b*tch who is pretty cool and entertaining.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Nephthys
From what I've heard the movie does try to make Maleficent too sympathetic and I agree that it would have been far better to have her as an evil b*tch who is pretty cool and entertaining. I'll render my judgment later tonight.

Robtard
Originally posted by marwash22
why not give it to him yourself, Rob, WHY NOT GIVE IT TO HIM YOURSELF!?!

He's too far away and my hands are fairly rough sad

Robtard
It's not a "clever spin" as it's been done many times before. Making a movie where a truly evil villain is the protagonist rather than a misunderstood anti-hero wouldn't be "the same old thing" but rather incredibly original. I mean, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single movie where that happens. Perhaps the film would be uncompelling, but I like Maleficent to be a total evil witch who traffics in demons and curses a kingdom simply because she wasn't invited to a party.

Can't think of many off the top of my head.

Richard III (1995) comes to mind. Ian plays such the prefect utterly evil bastard. Brilliant film all around.

quanchi112
Could have been so much better. Ah well. Another future Voldemort victim.

ares834
Does Maleficent at least turn into a dragon?

quanchi112
Does Maleficent at least turn into a dragon? If you really want to know the answer is in there.

No. She has the ability to turn her minion into various creatures and turns him into a dragon to aid her.

ares834
Thanks.

That's a shame.

Tzeentch
This movie was pretty ****ing bad.

Really beautiful visuals, though. I liked the design of the world and everything in it, sans the fairies, whose faces were... creepy.

A lot of people are giving Angelina Jolie props for her acting in this film, but I wasn't impressed. I felt, especially during scenes where her emotions were supposed to flaring (such as when she wakes up and realizes her wings are missing), that Jolie's acting ability pretty much wasn't up to chops.

Overall though the acting in this film was sub-par on almost every level, with poor, wooden performs all around.

That the writing of the plot and characters was also ass is icing on the shit-cake.

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Tzeentch

Really beautiful visuals, though. I liked the design of the world and everything in it, sans the fairies, whose faces were... creepy.

A lot of people are giving Angelina Jolie props for her acting in this film, but I wasn't impressed. I felt, especially during scenes where her emotions were supposed to flaring (such as when she wakes up and realizes her wings are missing), that Jolie's acting ability pretty much wasn't up to chops.

Overall though the acting in this film was sub-par on almost every level, with poor, wooden performs all around.

That the writing of the plot and characters was also ass is icing on the shit-cake.

lol, this movie sounds like Snow White and The Huntsman. They only good thing about that movie was Hemsworth. Charles Theoron overacted in the shit and under performed for her role.

Robtard
This ended up being far superior to Snow White and the Huntsman, which was a turd.

zeel
Saw the movie tonight and I loved it, was different, had heart and wasn't completely dependent on CGI and special effects.

dynamix
saw this tonight with the lady. i thought it was pretty ill. I dug the spin on the old tale. The only complaints i had were some of the painfully one dimensional character like Aurora and the pixies ha. Angelina Jolie was certainly the standout in the film. a solid 6/10 from me.

quanchi112
This ended up being far superior to Snow White and the Huntsman, which was a turd. What does this have to do with Snow White and the Huntsman ?

Robtard
What does this have to do with Snow White and the Huntsman ?

Following a conversation is difficult for you it seems.

NemeBro
I mean, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single movie where that happens. Does it have to be a pre-existing character? Because lots of movies like that exist.

Tzeentch
In 2000, Raz created this: KMC. His most accomplished forum.

I think Movie Trivia is his undisputed masterpiece, a sub-forum with such compelling thread topics that most people probably don't read the discussions. But they should, because it's not just about the quirkiness of celebreality, and the importance of cinema, the threads are also a personal statement about the forum itself.

Nemesis X

Oi. I happened to like it. It's a lot better than some of the other movies I've seen come out lately that's for sure.

dadudemon

This is a pretty good summary of my thoughts, as well.

I laughed out loud at the wing part. Holy balls.

Movie was pretty dang lame.

quanchi112
Following a conversation is difficult for you it seems. Quit bashing another film. Its bad enough you just bash the film centered around the thread so just stop it.

Kotor3
I like the movie it is a good family movie. Not sure what people were expecting. It is definitely not Snow White and Huntsman which was not a good movie.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kotor3
I like the movie it is a good family movie. Not sure what people were expecting. It is definitely not Snow White and Huntsman which was not a good movie. Both weren't good movies.

Kotor3
Both weren't good movies.

I disagree.

dadudemon
Both weren't good movies.

This.

thumb up

quanchi112
I disagree. You can disagree all you want. Arguing subjectivity is the likes of Darth power not myself.

Kotor3
You can disagree all you want. Arguing subjectivity is the likes of Darth power not myself.

Who said I was arguing? You responded to my post.

Mindship
Just saw it. Liked it. I don't think people realize how good a subtle, tongue-in-cheek actress Jolie is. It also helped that the film had a humane running time, not like one of those 3-hour monstrosities. Also saw it in 3D. Usually, I find 3D not effective in most films. In this one, it worked, imho.

And double-thumbs-up for the induced-motion flying/soaring scenes.

quanchi112
Who said I was arguing? You responded to my post. You were upset. Obviously.

Kotor3
You were upset. Obviously.

LOL. I was in no way upset but having fun with you.

I like the movie for what it is. I felt it was a good family movie. They kept it simple and short which it should be for a disney fair tale.

quanchi112
LOL. I was in no way upset but having fun with you.

I like the movie for what it is. I felt it was a good family movie. They kept it simple and short which it should be for a disney fair tale. I was massively disappointed. At least Voldemort has a new victim.

Kotor3
I was massively disappointed. At least Voldemort has a new victim.

What were you expecting from the movie?

Nemesis X
I would not take him seriously. He's being kind of a poor man's Tom Hiddleston right now.

zeel
I was massively disappointed. At least Voldemort has a new victim.

Don't set your expectations so High and you wont be so disappointed, this was a great family type movie. Its diseny don't expect be- heading's or the witch to butcher people or a lot of sex or swearing. Don't know what you were expeceting but sorry you were dissapointed sad

Kazenji
Haven't been hearing anything good from the reviews with this movie, Angelina Jolie basically saves the movie.

gabi22gray
Please anybody tell me the releasing date of this movie.

snoke123
in this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jla0OGKgOdM&t=20s
why didn't she use her powers? she could have easily defeated them.

Surtur
Same reason The Flash doesn't instantly defeat everyone at super speed.

Impediment
Plot Induced Stupidity or PIS.

snoke123
Originally posted by Surtur
Same reason The Flash doesn't instantly defeat everyone at super speed.
Originally posted by Impediment
Plot Induced Stupidity or PIS.
ie what prevented her from using her powers were: PIS and plot?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.