The Spike VGX 2013

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
VGX, not VGA anymore. It's saying it's "Xtreme!" now I guess?

Here are the nominees:

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/11/spike-vgx-2013-nominees-released/

Your thoughts?

Personally, I feel the majority of nominees for most of the categories suck.

BackFire
I think Last of Us should pretty much win everything that it's nominated for. Game's amazing.

ScreamPaste
Some nominees haven't even been released yet. haermm

Wei Phoenix
Far Cry Blood Dragon shouldn't even been in that category. It's not DLC, you don't even need the original game to play that game. Blood Dragon is it's on game and becoming it's own series.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by BackFire
I think Last of Us should pretty much win everything that it's nominated for. Game's amazing.

The Last of Us should win for best PlayStation game since it's the only PS game on the list but GTAV will probably win anyway. Is it just me or is it cheating adding multiplatform titles to categories for specific consoles? Nominating Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and GTAV for Best Multiplatform would make sense. Nominating them for best game on PS and Xbox however is confusing because it's like they're saying those games are exclusive.

wakkawakkawakka
Why are they picking and choosing which multiplatform game should go to which system for the exclusives instead of just adding actual exclusives for each system. Also, yeah Blood Dragon is actually DLC.

Along with this I would like to ask if anyone knew about Final Fantasy XIV's existence because I sure as hell didn't?

And I wonder just how many Mountain Dew and Doritos commercials we're going to get this year no expression

Kazenji
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka

Along with this I would like to ask if anyone knew about Final Fantasy XIV's existence because I sure as hell didn't?

I did

even Good Game reviewed it.

wakkawakkawakka
Really?

Because I didn't hear anyone else talking about except for maybe gametrailers.

Wei Phoenix
Blood Dragon is an Arcade/PSN game.

Smasandian
Blood Dragon is DLC.

It's Far Cry 3 made with 80's shtick.

Impediment
The Last of Us needs to win, but GTA Stupid V is going to win, no doubt.

wakkawakkawakka
What's wrong with GTA V again? Also its the VGA(X) or whatever the **** Spike wants to call it so it really shouldn't matter that much.

Also "Beyond Two Souls" for Game of the Year stick out tongue

RedX1852
I Hate that Batman was left out, because it wasn't made by Rocksteady sad

Nemesis X
What's wrong with GTA V again?

Other than the fact it's in a category that should only have exclusives in it, nothing really.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
Blood Dragon is DLC.

It's Far Cry 3 made with 80's shtick.

How is it DLC, When you don't need Far Cry 3 to play it.

Smasandian
I guess if you want to be specific then yes, I guess it's not DLC.

Butt.....really, its the same game with different textures.

FinalAnswer
Why isn't Enemy Within in DLC?

EDIT: I just realized Gone Home is in Best PC game

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Smasandian
I guess Best PC game means only PC game.

Even though BF4 is there....

FinalAnswer
Except there are literally dozens of better candidates of PC only games then Gone Home.

Nephthys
I thought Gone Home was pretty legit myself. Very touching.

FinalAnswer
What does that have to do with it being a GOTY nomination?

I mean, as far as I'm aware, the gameplay consists of you walking around, turning lights on and reading notes for an hour and a half.

Or you can just break the game and beat it in two minutes

Nephthys
The fact that its good??????

So? Not every game needs to be jumpy and shooty, Mr. Journey. Ever heard of a visual novel? The story the game lays out is interesting and genuinely emotional.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nephthys
The fact that its good??????

So? Not every game needs to be jumpy and shooty, Mr. Journey. Ever heard of a visual novel? The story the game lays out is interesting and genuinely emotional.

Muh strawmans

The difference between Journey and this is, Journey only works as a videogame; the effect it has on the player couldn't be replicated by any other medium. As far as I'm aware, Gone Home lets you explore a single house and read notes, no other gameplay involved, and you get roughly an hour and a half of this with no replay value.

Now, I don't care if people enjoy this kind of game, I really don't. I do have a problem, however, with the game being reputed as one of the best games of the year for having very little actual game to offer, and getting GOTY nominations over actual very good games.

Can't comment on the actual story itself but I've heard some goofy stuff.

COG Veteran
Calling it now...

GTA 5 will win.

Tho I think The Last of Us deserves it more.

Smasandian
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Muh strawmans

The difference between Journey and this is, Journey only works as a videogame; the effect it has on the player couldn't be replicated by any other medium. As far as I'm aware, Gone Home lets you explore a single house and read notes, no other gameplay involved, and you get roughly an hour and a half of this with no replay value.

Now, I don't care if people enjoy this kind of game, I really don't. I do have a problem, however, with the game being reputed as one of the best games of the year for having very little actual game to offer, and getting GOTY nominations over actual very good games.

So you haven't played it.

Hmm.

If videogames wants to be respected as mature medium then games like Gone Home should be developed and treated as games.

There is no difference between Gone Home and Heavy Rain.

BackFire
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Muh strawmans

You could argue that the interactivity in a game like Gone Home, or as Smas says, Heavy Rain, or even The Walking Dead game also allows a greater connection and investment in the story and events than would be possible in other mediums.

NemeBro
In The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain your choices and actions actually have some bearing on the game world around you, lol.

I'd prefer Will the Circle Be Unbroken win best song.

The Last of Us is dog dick.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Smasandian
So you haven't played it.

Hmm.

If videogames wants to be respected as mature medium then games like Gone Home should be developed and treated as games.

There is no difference between Gone Home and Heavy Rain.

No, because I don't want to play $20 for an hour and a half game with no replayability that's sole gameplay mechanic is walking.

There are far better videogames then Gone Home that have much better storylines that don't sacrifice gameplay in the process.

Yes there is. Heavy Rain's main focus is on the choices you make during the game and how that affects the ultimate outcome at the end, and furthermore, there can be something that could at least be considered "challenge" for attempting to get the outcome you'd want. Gone Home has no such mechanics, it's literally a walking simulator with reading.

NemeBro
Calm down FA.

-Pr-
Originally posted by RedX1852
I Hate that Batman was left out, because it wasn't made by Rocksteady sad

There were more reasons than that for it not to be included, imo.

But please, continue to bait.

wakkawakkawakka
So...nobody is going to make a joke about Ellen Page's video game movie. I'm a bit disappointed.

But I'm kind of sad not to see Splinter Cell Blacklist on here for at least the multiplayer: I was pleasantly surprised by the Spies vs. Mercs gameplay which realies a tad more on teamwork which is always fun. Also I'm still curious as to who the **** played Final Fantasy XIV.

Also, NemeBro I'm curious as to why you're not a fan of "The Last of Us"

NemeBro
It's Uncharted.

Also, hype backlash.

Kazenji
How is it like Uncharted?

fail....at the comparisons.

KingD19
Last of Us aside from similarities in game mechanics, is pretty much nothing like Uncharted.

Impediment
Originally posted by NemeBro
The Last of Us is dog dick.

You're a dog dick.

In all seriousness, though, what made you dislike The Last of Us?

Smasandian
I have a friend who thought Last of Us was boring.

I thought he was crazy but then I could see where he was coming from.

I was showing anoter friend a part of the game. I was walking around tickers and I wasn't being careful like I was previously. The strange thing is that they weren't attacking me at all.

After that, I could see why he didn't like the Last of Us.

NemeBro
Originally posted by KingD19
Last of Us aside from similarities in game mechanics Right.

Uncharted.

This was enough to turn me off the game so thoroughly that I still haven't met the little bitchass girl.

Kazenji
Wrong.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

read what you want to believe, i guess applies with you.

ares834
Right.

Uncharted.

This was enough to turn me off the game so thoroughly that I still haven't met the little bitchass girl.

erm

Play through the game (or at leat a decent portion of it) before making a judgement.

I've never thought Uncharted was that great of a game but felt TLU was phenomenal.

NemeBro
If a game sucks enough to make you quit it at the beginning, then it is a bad game. Simple.

ares834
You played like ten minutes of the game... Lol

NemeBro
Ten minutes of agonizing ass.

Nephthys
You're such a baby.

RedX1852
WOW WAY TO **** UP THE VGX LOITER SQUAD AND JOE MCHALL

Nemesis X
jvW9WwDLCxg

Tzeentch
Frankly, it seems like the best VGA's ever.

The Spike VGA's have been shit since forever. Having a host who is basically 100% honest about how shit it is is pretty refreshing.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Frankly, it seems like the best VGA's ever.

The Spike VGA's have been shit since forever. Having a host who is basically 100% honest about how shit it is is pretty refreshing.

I didn't watch, but thumb up to your comment.

Arachnid1
It's Uncharted.

Also, hype backlash. 1. Uncharted is f*cking awesome

2. TLoU blows it away

3. Eat a dick

Tzeentch
Uncharted sucks.

I'm glad Uncharted 3.5 didn't want GotY.

Arachnid1
Uncharted sucks.

I'm glad Uncharted 3.5 didn't want GotY. You suck.

And Uncharted 2 at least won game of the year, which is more than most franchises can say. Its only a matter of time until another one wins.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Nemesis X
jvW9WwDLCxg

thumb up

That guy was hilarious in those clips Joe showed.

Ridley_Prime
What, Joel, or the GTA5 musical group being complete idiots on camera?

Nephthys
Joel, the guy acting like a complete jackass.

I feel bad for his co-host. But as Joe said, it was his own fault for not researching who the guy is since its apparently his schtick.

Tzeentch
Yeah, they really should have known better. The premise of that guy's entire show is basically to watch youtube clips of people having an accidents and then laugh at then for it.

FinalAnswer
Joel, the guy acting like a complete jackass.

I feel bad for his co-host. But as Joe said, it was his own fault for not researching who the guy is since its apparently his schtick.

Joel treated the VGA's just as they were; one big joke.

BackFire
Uncharted sucks.

I'm glad Uncharted 3.5 didn't want GotY.

Indeed, thank God GTA 4.5 did, instead.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Arachnid1
1. Uncharted is f*cking awesome

thumb up

**** the hater's

Tzeentch
Indeed, thank God GTA 4.5 did, instead. The better game won in this instance. thumb up

-Pr-
I thought Joel was awesome, personally.

BackFire
The better game won in this instance. thumb up

It didn't. The Last of Us was far more innovative than GTA 5. Just because you refuse to give credit where credit's due and make the hollow and ultimately meaningless criticism that it's like Uncharted (it's not) doesn't change that.

Tzeentch
I've played Last of Us.

It didn't deserve GotY.

BackFire
Did so.

NemeBro
1. Uncharted is f*cking awesome

2. TLoU blows it away

3. Eat a dick You seem pretty upset.

Why does me not liking a videogame force you to insult me?

Tzeentch
Did so. fight me irl

no wait dont i like my anu-

BackFire
You did this to yourself.

NemeBro
It didn't. The Last of Us was far more innovative than GTA 5. Innovative how?

The gameplay isn't unique, it is a slightly more polished Uncharted. It is frankly little different than Tomb Raider.

I won't comment on the story, I'll be fair and judge what I've seen, but to be blunt, based on the developer's previous work, I doubt it is anything to write home about.

BackFire
Innovative how?

The gameplay isn't unique, it is a slightly more polished Uncharted. It is frankly little different than Tomb Raider.

I won't comment on the story, I'll be fair and judge what I've seen, but to be blunt, based on the developer's previous work, I doubt it is anything to write home about.

It innovates by successfully merging three completely disparate gameplay styles into one seamless experience - with each individual aspect better than most games who are comprised purely of that style.

It also innovates by having some long stretches of very quiet moments that allow for a greater sense of immersion into the world and reflection into the implications that the game lays out for the player. Also allowing for greater and deeper character development.

It's really nothing like Tomb Raider or Uncharted in any meaningful way. Sure it has a few similarities - similar graphical styles, third person cover based shooting, a couple set piece moments. But it offers a very different and more somber and meditative experience. Comparing it to Uncharted is like comparing Halo and Half Life.

Also its narrative is one of the most artful, thoughtful and powerful ever told in a game.

NemeBro
It innovates by successfully merging three completely disparate gameplay styles into one seamless experience - with each individual aspect better than most games who are comprised purely of that style.

Which are?

Okay, I'm going to have to ask for clarification: When you say long stretches of very quiet moments, do you mean in gameplay? Within the cutscenes? A mixture of both?

Halo and Half Life is a very valid comparison actually. The similarities between the games are many, probably because Halo tried to build off things Half Life established. The key difference between both is that Halo's take on the alien invasion plotline is bombastic and space opera-esque, focused more on nonstop action with a few cutscenes to speed along the narrative (Halo 2 IMO probably handled the series' narrative the best), Half Life's setting and story are very minimalistic and more grounded, with no cutscenes, and the story being told through the setting you explore and walk around. But one can't get around the fact that they play pretty ****ing similarly, lol.

It is a shame that, IMHO, it failed at arguably the most essential endeavor of storytelling; grabbing me early on.

BackFire
Which are?

Action Adventure, Survival Horror, and quiet exploration.

Okay, I'm going to have to ask for clarification: When you say long stretches of very quiet moments, do you mean in gameplay? Within the cutscenes? A mixture of both?

I was talking about gameplay. Some of the game's most memorable moments - one in particular comes to mind - are during these long stretches, sometimes as long as 15 minutes, where you're just walking around; no combat, no environmental puzzles, but just being absorbed in the world and listening to dialogue between Joel and Ellie and being immersed in the mood and atmosphere that the game masterfully creates.

Halo and Half Life is a very valid comparison actually. The similarities between the games are many, probably because Halo tried to build off things Half Life established. The key difference between both is that Halo's take on the alien invasion plotline is bombastic and space opera-esque, focused more on nonstop action with a few cutscenes to speed along the narrative (Halo 2 IMO probably handled the series' narrative the best), Half Life's setting and story are very minimalistic and more grounded, with no cutscenes, and the story being told through the setting you explore and walk around. But one can't get around the fact that they play pretty ****ing similarly, lol.

Sorry, I think you're just completely wrong here. There is an overwhelming amount of differences between the two series. Some of which you mention (I'd say those differences alone are important enough to disqualify the comparison from being very meaningful) but others also include Half Life being more interested in environmental storytelling, atmosphere and exploration. Also the tone of each series is totally different - Half Life having the more lonesome and depressing, and I'd say simply better, atmosphere, where as Halo is pure shallow popcorn style fare. Also of course Half Life has various puzzles and more obvious innovations, such as the Gravity gun. Also the way they each handle the main character is completely different. The supporting characters, too.

The only things they really share are that they are both "shooters" and they both involve aliens. That's not enough for a very compelling comparison, to me.

It is a shame that, IMHO, it failed at arguably the most essential endeavor of storytelling; grabbing me early on.

Well, I completely disagree here. Obviously something like this is purely subjective, but I found the beginning to be one of the most gripping introductions I've ever played in a video game. If you didn't like it, fair enough, though.

Astor Ebligis
Should easily have been Super Mario 3D World. Most pure fun game of the year and also the most innovative.

Impediment
GTA V didn't deserve Game of the Year.

GTA V had sales and nothing more. The game is a driving/flying/boating/etc simulator with quests that any random yahoo can play. Popularity wins again.

The Last of Us is a true masterpiece with a level of depth, emotion, and character development of the like which I have NEVER seen in a video game.

Kazenji
GTA 5 also had emotion & character development especially when it came to Michael & Franklin.

Nephthys
I admit that I thought GTA 5 would be pretty lame, but Archengeia's rumination on it made it sound really damn well-written. Like, a masterpiece.

Arachnid1
You seem pretty upset.

Why does me not liking a videogame force you to insult me? Oh, don't take that too seriously. Just said it to say it, not to bug anyone feelings.

Originally posted by Impediment

GTA V had sales and nothing more. The game is a driving/flying/boating/etc simulator with quests that any random yahoo can play. Popularity wins again.

The Last of Us is a true masterpiece with a level of depth, emotion, and character development of the like which I have NEVER seen in a video game.

It also innovates by having some long stretches of very quiet moments that allow for a greater sense of immersion into the world and reflection into the implications that the game lays out for the player. Also allowing for greater and deeper character development.

It's really nothing like Tomb Raider or Uncharted in any meaningful way. Sure it has a few similarities - similar graphical styles, third person cover based shooting, a couple set piece moments. But it offers a very different and more somber and meditative experience. Comparing it to Uncharted is like comparing Halo and Half Life.

Also its narrative is one of the most artful, thoughtful and powerful ever told in a game. +1 to you two

TLoU completely outdid GTAV.

RedX1852
The Last of Us is SOOO Overrated and so is GTA5, all the Last of Us is, is a Game version of the Walking Dead SHOW with more corroded fish coral face and horribly deformed zombies, and the zombie people you face look like the developers of the game tried to copy Halo's brilliant deformed Flood Formula to make them look scarier and creepier, nothing new, they ripped of Halo and it's to Overrated, also AC4 story wise was not better than Arkham Origins

-Pr-
Pretty sure they weren't copying the Flood, which in itself copied other things.

RedX1852
Originally posted by -Pr-
Pretty sure they weren't copying the Flood, which in itself copied other things.

pretty sure they were, i mean it looks like there going for the same looks, overall both are over hyped band wagon games, and AC4 did not deserve best story, Arkham Origins did

-Pr-
pretty sure they were, i mean it looks like there going for the same looks, overall both are over hyped band wagon games, and AC4 did not deserve best story, Arkham Origins did

I don't agree on either point, personally, but that's me.

Nemesis X
From what I've seen of Super Mario 3D World, I think that deserves GOTY. I agree Last of Us is great and GTAV is pretty fun but they're, IMO, a tad bit overhyped.

Arachnid1
From what I've seen of Super Mario 3D World, I think that deserves GOTY. I agree Last of Us is great and GTAV is pretty fun but they're, IMO, a tad bit overhyped. I haven't played SMW 3D, but I have heard outstanding things about it from people who have.

pretty sure they were, i mean it looks like there going for the same looks, overall both are over hyped band wagon games, and AC4 did not deserve best story, Arkham Origins did 1. The flood is 100% fictitious parasitic alien life form. The enemies in TLoU are normal people being controlled by a fungus. This fungus is based off a real life fungus that only effects insects (at the moment). The idea the TLoU had was that the fungus evolved to effect humans (check the 'in popular culture' section of that page). No one on the Naughty Dog came to work with the intention of putting Halo enemies (who aren't very original enemies themselves) in their game.

2. TLoU was the first in its series. It generated its own hype completely (like Titanfall and Watch Dogs), instead of riding off the hype of the game that came before it like GTAV or AO (which wasn't even that great of a game, and got completely outdone by AC4 in every way including story). It made a well-deserved name for itself and deserved GOTY from its story alone, never mind all the other amazing concepts that came together to make it perfect.

wakkawakkawakka
Still don't understand why Nemebro and Blax don't like The Last of Us but its whatever. The opening scene alone should've drew people in instantly IMO. Nonetheless I kind of expected GTAV to win based on its popularity and the amount it sold.

Nephthys
Nemebro and Blax are contrarian assholes who get off on being 'edgy' and 'rebellious'.

Tzeentch
so angry

Zack Fair
Loved both Last of Us and GTA V.

Last of us gathered dust after I beat it(not knocking it against the game) while I still play GTA V.

Both game worlds are amazing. Shit add Columbia to the list of awesome game worlds delivered this year. Then there is TR and...**** 2013 has been an awesome year for gaming.

I really can't decide which game world I like more. Columbia just looked so amazing and crispy while Last of Us's tone and art style makes it a top cotender as well. In the end I lean more towards San Andreas because of the scope of the sandbox and just how good everything managed to look within that ridiculously huge scope in aged hardware

RedX1852
Still don't understand why Nemebro and Blax don't like The Last of Us but its whatever. The opening scene alone should've drew people in instantly IMO. Nonetheless I kind of expected GTAV to win based on its popularity and the amount it sold.

i think it didn't win GOTY cuz it wasn't a Multi-platform game

S_D_J
Nemebro and Blax are contrarian assholes who get off on being 'edgy' and 'rebellious'.

Hipsters

laughing out loud

NemeBro
Action Adventure, Survival Horror, and quiet exploration.

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/3/4/5/954345_125120_front.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Sotc_boxart.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Official_cover_art_for_Bioshock_Infinite.jpg

Not sure why that is, because frankly, the ones I mentioned are going to appeal to people on a case by case basis. Aka: Subjective. The similarities? Their qualities are objective.

Right, like that thing I said.

I am also pretty sure I covered this (Albeit without letting my posts drip with bias), with terms such as "bombastic" or "space opera" to describe Halo, and terms like "minimalistic" and "grounded" for Half Life.

I will allow you that much.

Ah, that is true. Somehow forgot to mention the differences between Gordon and John.

Explain?

I'll be honest, I haven't played Half Life in so long that you may be right. I think I last played Half Life 2 when I was like 17, so I can't rmember a whole lot.

It might have been better had I not seen the outcome coming a mile away.

Originally posted by Impediment

I am pretty sure that any random yahoo could play The Last of Us, to be honest. It's hardly Ghosts and Goblins.

Calm down.

Nephthys
I'm just keeping it real bro.

BackFire
Neme - I've not played Demon's Souls so I can't comment on that, however Shadow of the Colossus doesn't qualify as survival horror. So not sure why you posted that in response.

Bioshock Infinite does something similar there, you're right, but it does it differently. Infinite's only real lengthy and quiet segment is at the beginning of the game, after that it becomes a more traditional action game. Granted, there are still quiet moments, but none that are quite as lengthy or memorable as the introduction. Last of Us has these types of segments throughout the entire game, the most memorable of which comes towards the end - and the way it combines these segments with action adventure and survival horror creates a piece of work that is unlike anything I've experienced before. It just feels unique in its tone and the way it flows. That's the best I can really explain it.

You ask how the supporting characters in Half Life and Halo are different. The most important goes back to the style of storytelling that each game utilizes. Halo's characters are traditional bombastic/shallow action movie characters that come and go and rely more on traditional action movie type tropes and dialogue, where as Half Life, because of the atmosphere and mood the game is interested in creating, has more sober and realistic characters that, for me, just felt more like actual people, and not characters in an action movie. Also Alyx from Half Life 2 in particular is not really like anything Halo has done. Halo 4 attempted to replicate a bit of Alyx with the game's version of Cortana and having her be sort of the emotional epicenter of the story, but it was still different just by way of styles.

The beginning of Last of Us was not about being unpredictable. I think anyone could see where it was going. It was about execution. A piece of fiction doesn't have to be unpredictable in order to be good, as your post implies. For example, Breaking Bad is fairly predictable - it's easy to see where the story is ultimately going, or where particular threads are sort of going, it's more about the details and how it gets there that makes the show good. And I'd say the same is true for the beginning of Last of Us.

dadudemon
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Official_cover_art_for_Bioshock_Infinite.jpg

I bought that game during the Steam sales.

I still haven't finished it. The levels were far too linear and it got boring. Some of the cutscenes were amazing.

But, then...boring. Boring boring boring.

It would have been different had the game been more sandbox/open world. Oh, and...upgrades didn't feel worthless.

Based on what I read online, I got about 80% through the game.

For 2013, it was my most disappointing buy. sad

I'm just keeping it real, NemeBro.

FTFY 313

Nemesis X
Originally posted by dadudemon
I bought that game during the Steam sales.

I still haven't finished it. The levels were far too linear and it got boring. Some of the cutscenes were amazing.

But, then...boring. Boring boring boring.

It would have been different had the game been more sandbox/open world. Oh, and...upgrades didn't feel worthless.

Based on what I read online, I got about 80% through the game.

For 2013, it was my most disappointing buy. sad

This. This, this, this. I wanted to enjoy Infinite and was amazed for an hour but eventually it became, dare I say, lacking. And when I reached that boss that was a ghost...oh god it was so BORING! And no fight with the Songbird to make up for it!

Arachnid1
This. This, this, this. I wanted to enjoy Infinite and was amazed for an hour but eventually it became, dare I say, lacking. And when I reached that boss that was a ghost...oh god it was so BORING! And no fight with the Songbird to make up for it! +2 to both of you. Infinite never even lived up to Bioshock 1, never mind a masterpiece like TLoU. Shadow of the Colossus is not survival horror. It's not even horror. Its an action adventure game. Neither is Demon Souls. Its an action RPG with dark elements.

Both also have moments of quiet exploration (Demon Souls to a much lesser extent), but neither of them did it as well as TLoU. Its like BackFire said. TLoU successfully merged a ton of different elements (that yes, other games have, not not to the quality of TLoU, and not mixed with other elements that allow it all to come together so perfectly) to make something amazing. There is a reason that it's reviews (100 of them) are almost completely perfect 10s across the board. Those who doubt this games quality are in the very small minority for a reason.

dadudemon
+2 to both of you. Infinite never even lived up to Bioshock 1, never mind a masterpiece like TLoU. Shadow of the Colossus is not survival horror. It's not even horror. Its an action adventure game. Neither is Demon Souls. Its an action RPG with dark elements.

Both also have moments of quiet exploration (Demon Souls to a much lesser extent), but neither of them did it as well as TLoU. Its like BackFire said. TLoU successfully merged a ton of different elements (that yes, other games have, not not to the quality of TLoU, and not mixed with other elements that allow it all to come together so perfectly) to make something amazing. There is a reason that it's reviews (100 of them) are almost completely perfect 10s across the board. Those who doubt this games quality are in the very small minority for a reason.

Almost thou persuadest me to be a TLoU fan.

Still haven't played it. I will play it, though.

NemeBro
Neme - I've not played Demon's Souls so I can't comment on that, however Shadow of the Colossus doesn't qualify as survival horror. So not sure why you posted that in response.

Oh yeah?

Using wiki (Because let's not pretend that "survival horror" is some universally recognized and definable term), survival horror is "a subgenre of action-adventure video games inspired by horror fiction. Although combat can be a part of the gameplay, the player is made to feel less powerful than in typical action games, because of limited ammunition, health, speed, or other limitations. The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas, and solve puzzles at certain locations. Games make use of strong horror themes, and the player is often challenged to navigate dark maze-like environments, and react to unexpected attacks from enemies.".

The only thing here that doesn't really apply is the unexpected attacks from enemies part IIRC. Most prominently, Wander is significantly more helpless than your average action-adventure hero.

Not through all of it. At the beginning, you explore Colombia at your leisure before being thrust into high-paced combat, but you get further opportunities to explore at the beach, and in other sections where tipping off the guards to your arrival can be entirely avoided (Or prolonged? I forget some shit here).

I'd disagree, I found the beach even more memorable. I traversed the entire thing to hear every nameless NPC's dialogue, due to apparently having OCD.

I'd frankly dispute the level of Survival Horror in tLoU to be honest. The duration of my playthrough, I could easily just Rambo my way through everything due to the ease of the melee system and the relative abundance of ammunition.

... Really?

I am talking about Half Life 1, for the record, not 2.

Half Life 1's characters though frankly felt even more basic and generic than Halo's.

This is probably sort of my fault: I was only comparing the first games of both series. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I haven't ever seen Breaking Bad so I can't see the connection. But Breaking Bad is a long-running TV series and has had time to expand on all of its characters and shit, correct?

The beginning of tLoU, while giving you control of the girl (No I do not remember her name) was a nice touch at the beginning to allow some player-controlled characterization, at the end I could not be persuaded to really care that she gets lolshot, nor did I care for Joel's gruff Troy Baker bearded character sadness.

NemeBro
+2 to both of you. Infinite never even lived up to Bioshock 1, never mind a masterpiece like TLoU.

Bioshock is better than tLoU though.

Both are more survival horror than tLoU could ever be.

It has more of those than either, lol. Having a silent protagonist and a more open world helps. Dark Souls has even more of this.

And by that token I could point out that tLoU has not even a fifth of the depth of gameplay that Shadow of the Colossus or especially Demon's/Dark Souls do. The difference is that rather than being a more immaterial viewpoint like yours, mine has some basis in the fact that, gameplay-wise, tLoU is nothing particularly new or challenging.

Skyrim on the XBOX 360 had better reviews, and Modern Warfare 1 and 2's reviews were about equivalent. Uncharted 2's reviews were better than tLoU.

I am just saying. /shrugs

BackFire
Neme - What are the horror themes of Shadow of the Colossus? This is obviously an important aspect of the sub-genre, as "Horror" is a word used in the very term, and it's listed in your wiki definition, but as far as I saw there were none in that game. I remember the atmosphere being somber and lonesome, but not particularly scary or creepy in any parts.

Also we're talking about different things when it comes to Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us, it seems. You're referencing moments where you can avoid combat in Infinite if you wish, I'm referencing moments in Last of Us where there is no combat to be avoided. Simply segments that exist purely to emphasize the atmosphere/characters.

Also by your own definition TLoU would count as survival horror because even if you did find it easy, you had to actually scrounge and look for ammo, and there was less of it than the typical action game.

But yeah, we seem to have had a bit of a disconnect in regards to the Half Life/Halo comparison. I was talking mostly about Half Life 2, particularly when it came to characterization. You're right, Half Life is much less impressive in characterization than Half Life 2, and probably any of the Halo games as well.

Whether BB is long running isn't really relevant to my greater point - that fiction doesn't need to be unpredictable in order to be engaging. The fact is the beginning of TLoU is very effective foreshadowing that is very subtlety echoed during the end of the game. This was the entire purpose of the beginning.

Anyways, since the discussion was initially about how Last of Us is innovative and unique, and that aspect of the discussion has become muddled because we're talking about other things, I'll just repeat here how I felt it was unique - It just feels unique in its tone and the way it flows. That's the best I can really explain it. And it feels this way because of the way it combined all the above mentioned genres.

RedX1852
Neme - What are the horror themes of Shadow of the Colossus? This is obviously an important aspect of the sub-genre, as "Horror" is a word used in the very term, and it's listed in your wiki definition, but as far as I saw there were none in that game. I remember the atmosphere being somber and lonesome, but not particularly scary or creepy in any parts.

Also we're talking about different things when it comes to Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us, it seems. You're referencing moments where you can avoid combat in Infinite if you wish, I'm referencing moments in Last of Us where there is no combat to be avoided. Simply segments that exist purely to emphasize the atmosphere/characters.

Also by your own definition TLoU would count as survival horror because even if you did find it easy, you had to actually scrounge and look for ammo, and there was less of it than the typical action game.

But yeah, we seem to have had a bit of a disconnect in regards to the Half Life/Halo comparison. I was talking mostly about Half Life 2, particularly when it came to characterization. You're right, Half Life is much less impressive in characterization than Half Life 2, and probably any of the Halo games as well.

Whether BB is long running isn't really relevant to my greater point - that fiction doesn't need to be unpredictable in order to be engaging. The fact is the beginning of TLoU is very effective foreshadowing that is very subtlety echoed during the end of the game. This was the entire purpose of the beginning.

Anyways, since the discussion was initially about how Last of Us is innovative and unique, and that aspect of the discussion has become muddled because we're talking about other things, I'll just repeat here how I felt it was unique - It just feels unique in its tone and the way it flows. That's the best I can really explain it. And it feels this way because of the way it combined all the above mentioned genres.

The Last of Us did not win GOTY because it's not Multi-Platform, meaning Both Consoles cant enjoy the acclaimed experience. thats why it didn't win and GTA5 a Multi-Platform game did, i agree that game is better than Overhyped and Rated GTA but us Xbox Gamers cant enjoy the experience, and if you look at the past Arkham City and Asylum won GOTY because they were Multi-Platform and loved by both Gamers PS and Xbox as well as Red Dead Redemption, its a good Game but since it's not Multi-platform it didn't Win GOTY

Nemesis X
The Last of Us did not win GOTY because it's not Multi-Platform, meaning Both Consoles cant enjoy the acclaimed experience. thats why it didn't win and GTA5 a Multi-Platform game did, i agree that game is better than Overhyped and Rated GTA but us Xbox Gamers cant enjoy the experience, and if you look at the past Arkham City and Asylum won GOTY because they were Multi-Platform and loved by both Gamers PS and Xbox as well as Red Dead Redemption, its a good Game but since it's not Multi-platform it didn't Win GOTY

fH2ZPmQh04A

RedX1852
fH2ZPmQh04A

I Cant see what you posted?

Kazenji
shifty

I can.

RedX1852
Originally posted by Kazenji
shifty

I can.

what it is, something rude, vulgar, ignorant, what?

Kazenji
shifty

-Pr-
what it is, something rude, vulgar, ignorant, what?

It's Uncharted 2, a ps3 exclusive, winning GOTY.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.